Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ray D'Arcy Show Thread - Mod note Post # 1 Updated

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Poochie05

ksimpson wrote:
    I guess I'm tired of the boy/girl arguements where Ray puts forward the cliched boy side and Jenny/Mairead make him look stupid as is the want of the noughties girlie.

It has always bothered me the way Jenny/Mairead's pronouncements and opinions are taken as gospel for all women.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭opa01_2000

Havc started to listen to D'Arcy again as a result of this thread. I find him entertaining, witty and inoffensive. The music on today's show was fabulous. The worst thing about the D'Arcy show is who rushes to the radio at work to change stations before that pr**k Foley comes on...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

Foley is a pseudo Darcy. He is obvioulsy trying to emulate him which really bugs me. One Darcy is more than enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

I used to love listening to the show now I just find it repetitive boring and annoying. Ray Foley was a fine cure for insomnia in his late night slot, now he's just crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Poochie05 wrote:
    It has always bothered me the way Jenny/Mairead's pronouncements and opinions are taken as gospel for all women.
    In fairness I doubt Ray knows enough women to know any different ... Other than the Rose of Tralee hopefuls I'd say his mammy and those two are the only ones who get a word in when he's around. He's totally hen-pecked by Jenny though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭juuge

Amz wrote:
    In fairness I doubt Ray knows enough women to know any different ... Other than the Rose of Tralee hopefuls I'd say his mammy and those two are the only ones who get a word in when he's around. He's totally hen-pecked by Jenny though.
    Why especially in Irish broadcasting does nobody realise that everyone and everything has a 'sell by date' ?

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭opa01_2000

While I agree, Foley tries to copy Darcy - he's neither quick or witty enough to pull it off.

juuge wrote:
    Why especially in Irish broadcasting does nobody realise that everyone and everything has a 'sell by date' ?
    Unfortunately Larry Gogan set a precedent.

Amz wrote:
    Unfortunately Larry Gogan set a precedent.
    I believe Larry's show is transmitted from a nursing home !

Knowing RTE he's probably broadcasting from beyond the grave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭el diablo

Amz wrote:
    Knowing RTE he's probably broadcasting from beyond the grave.
    that's an awful thing to say. Larry seems like a very nice chap... and I'd much prefer him to D'arcy...:D

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

el diablo wrote:
    that's an awful thing to say. Larry seems like a very nice chap... and I'd much prefer him to D'arcy...:D
    I'm sure he is. But why can't he and Gay Byrne just bow out with a bit of dignity ? We won't think any less of them, but for God's sake why can't they read their own best before date!

juuge wrote:
    I'm sure he is. But why can't he and Gay Byrne just bow out with a bit of dignity ? We won't think any less of them, but for God's sake why can't they read their own best before date!
    well yeah, I agree about Gay Byrne, too many comebacks. never really liked him anyway...:mad:

el diablo wrote:
    well yeah, I agree about Gay Byrne, too many comebacks. never really liked him anyway...:mad:
    Gay Byrne just doesn't know when to quit and RTE keep the door open for him. Pity all old people don't have their jobs kep open for them. The problem with Gay is that he's beginning to look like a garden gnome, maybe that's what happens after you've been old!

RTE pay Gay Byrne (or at least they used to) to keep him on retainer, so that he wouldn't go to any other broadcaster.

I'm also sick of D'arcy and his over-reliance on texts from listeners. I don't give a shít if Billy from Ballyhaunis prefers Chef ketchup over Heinz..:rolleyes:

Amz wrote:
    RTE pay Gay Byrne (or at least they used to) to keep him on retainer, so that he wouldn't go to any other broadcaster.
    That is the problem. The powers that be in RTE are afraid that Gerry Ryan and Gay Byrne might be snapped up by a competing station. (don't think so) and then they would be asked to explain their actions. RTE's 'civil servant' mentality kicks in and they just throw more money at the Gay Byrnes et al to cover asses.
    But remember it's our money they are spending and nobody appears to be answerable. Ray Burke must still be lurking in the shadows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭monaghanbiffo

he's getting far too preachey these days that crap last week when he kept on about Bertie, give a rest clown, leave that to matt cooper if we wanna listen to that we'll tune to another channel

I listened to Pat Kenny this morning instead of Ray.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

Jesus, he's not that bad that you have to switch over to Kenny. I wouldn't listen to him if you paid me.

• Advertisement

Ah Ray played Paddy Casey or someone and I switched channel, Pat was talking rugby so I left it on (I've been out of the country so wanted to catch up a bit).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

What was his latest pointless crusade? I think it had something to do with Ticketmaster. When he started ranting, I began to tune into the sound of the printer instead.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

He was complaining about our "national broadcaster" airing adverts for poker.

Amusingly, he said it was OK for Today FM and TV3 as they needed all the advertising they could get, but not OK for our national broadcaster, RTÉ. I think he mean public service broadcaster, as Today and TV3 are also national..

Ah, no doubt it was in relation to the talk of gambling debts etc. that have been in the newspapers etc. recently for reasons we won't get into.

I wish he'd save his preachy, schoolmaster crap for his daughter, I don't want to hear it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Bex81

Oh Im so glad. I used to love listenin to Ray in the mornings when I was a student (from my bed till noon obviously!)
    Ive been out of the country for the last few years and was lookin forward to hearin Ray et al. again. But now that Im workin 9-5 (a la Ms Parton) means I never get the chance. Delighted the show has gone to pot!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

While I'd have defended Ray against a lot of the OTT criticism, he really had me cringing this morning....

He got some guy on the phone to talk about the Irish rugby anthem "issue", and despite the fact that the guy told him at the outset that he was rushing for a plane, Ray kept on harping HIS view, which the guy didn't agree with, and then, when despite the barrage the guy said "I really HAVE to go get this plane now", Ray smugly said "that's a sidestep".......absolutely cringe-inducing radio!

Either he's (a) got his own opinion that everyone should agree with or (b) is ill-advised that his target audience have a certain view and wants to add to his credibility; not sure which, but I sincerely hope it's not just the start of the show going downhill.......everyone's human, and we all make mistakes, but there does appear to be a trend starting up.

For the sake of the show, it needs to be nipped in the bud!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Amz wrote:
    I wish he'd save his preachy, schoolmaster crap for his daughter, I don't want to hear it.

I wonder if its since he found out he was becoming a dad it kinda knocked the kid out of him that used to be so fun. He kind off grew up a bit after that.

*Not saying that having a kid means ya lose your snese of fun but you do grow up a bit from the experience

s_carnage wrote:
    I wonder if its since he found out he was becoming a dad it kinda knocked the kid out of him that used to be so fun. He kind off grew up a bit after that.

*Not saying that having a kid means ya lose your snese of fun but you do grow up a bit from the experience
    It's a pity some of the 2fm guys won't grow up!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I actually think that the time where it started to go a bit stale is around the time that Martin (producer) left, he's actually quite funny.

Funnily enough he has been filling in on the Ray Foley show this week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

BaZmO* wrote:
    I actually think that the time where it started to go a bit stale is around the time that Martin (producer) left, he's actually quite funny.

Funnily enough he has been filling in on the Ray Foley show this week.

AKA Eamon Lowe! now that is funny radio:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement