Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ray D'Arcy Show Thread - Mod note Post # 1 Updated

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭el diablo

yeah I agree that the D'arcy has become boring and tired. I enjoyed listening to Tom Dunne when he filled in. And that Mr. Construction yoke last week, that was ****. who's idea was it to put something like that on the radio? bat.gif

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

As far as I'm concerned things like Mr Construction just don't work on the radio, he's still at that old rock, paper, scissors thing as well.

magnumlady wrote:
    As far as I'm concerned things like Mr Construction just don't work on the radio, he's still at that old rock, paper, scissors thing as well.
    and that Odd One Out quiz. how crap is that? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 thoughtsofa

Someone mentioned earlier about him reading out the texts; They're nearly fighting each other to give the best review ("That was brill", "best ever", "pure class" are regulars)..., it's his monotone voice when reading them that gets me. The worst type of text is the one that begins with 'Oh my God I'm in tears here...so touching......so sad....' when the f*ckin subject isn't even sad!!

Finally someone has mentioned the one thing that I hate about the guy- his monotone voice. He sounds like a 14 year old depressed teenager trying to read Shakespeare. I cannot express in words how much I hate Darcy. For years I've had to put up with people saying that he's SO intelligent and he's SO caring and moral with people quoting 'interesting' facts they've heard on fix-it Friday. You must be a special type of idiot to resort to asking Darcy about your 'interesting' queries e.g.An actual question: "How much time in your life do you spend blinking, without sleeping like?" (sic)

Answer: who cares, like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

How about "how regularly do kids put the word 'like' into sentences where it's not required ?" :rolleyes:

Quirky facts are fine by me....at least they beat the pointless "celebrity" news......Lucy Kay sounds great on the radio, but Heat magazine's whole "raison d'etre" is something I'll never understand, and having it on the radio as well is completely pointless....if people want it, let 'em buy the magazine! :mad:

• Advertisement

Liam Byrne wrote:
    How about "how regularly do kids put the word 'like' into sentences where it's not required ?" :rolleyes:

Quirky facts are fine by me....at least they beat the pointless "celebrity" news......Lucy Kay sounds great on the radio, but Heat magazine's whole "raison d'etre" is something I'll never understand, and having it on the radio as well is completely pointless....if people want it, let 'em buy the magazine! :mad:
    and I hate that female "comedian" (Maeve Higgins I think here name is) that he has on his show on a Monday. she rambles on about nothing in particular and is just not funny.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭Gumbyman

"I hate pants. Don't you hate pants?"

Ray is entertaining but sometimes he gets on the bandwagon when he is just plain wrong and then he gets his non fictitious army of texters to back him up. That really grinds my gears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭Peter Collins

Looking forward to seeing his ratings.

All he's had are ups since he started - wonder how he'd react to a downturn....?

Not very well I would imagine - he think he's the best thing since sliced bread.

At least Gerry Ryan can take it on the (one of four) chin(s)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭eddiehobbs

el diablo wrote:
    and I hate that female "comedian" (Maeve Higgins I think here name is) that he has on his show on a Monday. she rambles on about nothing in particular and is just not funny.:rolleyes:

Agree 100%. Female comidiens arnt funny, above mentioned bieng a good example

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Proxy

Wha? Fair points, but I can't listen to Tom Dunne. He mentions Something Happens about every second sentence. Shup!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

No he doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

On the basis of the previous posts...

Off with the following heads
    Ray Darcy
    Tony Fenton
    Joe Duffy
    Gerry Ryan

...Please add to list as required

Proxy wrote:
    Wha? Fair points, but I can't listen to Tom Dunne. He mentions Something Happens about every second sentence. Shup!
    what are you talking about? I've never heard Tom Dunne mention Something Happens on any of his shows... moonie3un.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Rozbeef

the most ridiculous radio programme i've ever heard. sure it's entertaining enough. but most of it is ray darcy reading out texts that a bunch of idiots have sent it. the rest of it is him trying hard to say a sentence without a load of 'errs' and 'ums'.. even worse is the fact that he knows f*** all about music and i thought that was the whole point of a radio dj in the first place :-S

/rant

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Rozbeef wrote:
    but most of it is ray darcy reading out texts that a bunch of idiots have sent it.
    Yeah it's almost the same as those idiots that rant on the internet.... Oh wait....
    Rozbeef wrote:
    even worse is the fact that he knows f*** all about music and i thought that was the whole point of a radio dj in the first place :-S
    You don't really know much about commercial radio do you?

Rozbeef wrote:
    the most ridiculous radio programme i've ever heard. sure it's entertaining enough. but most of it is ray darcy reading out texts that a bunch of idiots have sent it. the rest of it is him trying hard to say a sentence without a load of 'errs' and 'ums'.. even worse is the fact that he knows f*** all about music and i thought that was the whole point of a radio dj in the first place :-S

/rant
    ha ha, how right you are. :D he's not very articulate is he? there's far too much dependency on text messages and does nobody check the messages before he reads them out on air. And he plays the same songs everyday for weeks on end (his favourite music. :mad:

I prefer Tom Dunne in his slot. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭windy bee

Ray Darcy is a moany pony, he should quit radio while he still earns good money and go home and mind his kid, he's sh1te and goes off on ranting tangents at every available chance. The only reason he is half popular is because a lot of listeners (mostly female) remember him from the Den and they are now at the exact age for Today Fm's captive audience. The music is average at best, Will Leahy is a bore and Jenny and Mairead have the combined personality of a coffin. If there was a petition to axe the show I'd sign up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

windy bee wrote:
    Will Leahy is a bore
    Don't agree, but regardless, what's that got to do with Ray D'Arcy's show :confused:

http://www.rte.ie/radio/listing.html?channel=123

17:00 The Will Leahy Show
    All the songs and craic you need to get home.

Haven't listened to Darcy since before christmas and my life is better for it.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

Ever since blackboard jungle Darcy has been bland and untalented, dont know how he has done so well in getting so many gigs in rte and now on today fm. Just got a lucky break and became well known for nothing much in particular and remained generally inoffensive and blagged his way untill now when he has become an annoying old fuddy duddy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

el diablo wrote:

Exactly, a dose of the clap is funnier that Maeve Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

el diablo wrote:
    ha ha, how right you are. :D he's not very articulate is he? there's far too much dependency on text messages and does nobody check the messages before he reads them out on air. And he plays the same songs everyday for weeks on end (his favourite music. :mad:

I prefer Tom Dunne in his slot. :D

Yep why doesn't anyone check the text messages and emails. During the week I happened to flick onto him and he was reading out an email and the word w**ker was read out, not great at 9.30am.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

The more I listen to Ray D'arcy (no choice, never try to seize control of the radio in an office full of women) the more it becomes like Junior Liveline. He'll kick off the show with some insignificant complaint like a crack on a pavement or somesuch and wait for the text messages to kick in. These will be the usual mix of falsified outrage and a healthy dash of urban myths. Read them out and watch the ratings climb. Inexplicable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Where is all this Ray D'Arcy hate coming from? I think he's brilliant. Tell me what's more entertaining between 9 and 12? I don't know what it is, but I find him really funny and an all round good guy. Ray Foley is good as well. Then Moncrief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

VonLuck wrote:
    Tell me what's more entertaining between 9 and 12?
    That's about the age profile he's aiming at alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

VonLuck wrote:
    Where is all this Ray D'Arcy hate coming from? I think he's brilliant. Tell me what's more entertaining between 9 and 12? I don't know what it is, but I find him really funny and an all round good guy. Ray Foley is good as well. Then Moncrief.

*waves*
    Hi Ray!

Jip wrote:
    :D and Ray Foley is the most irritating man on the radio. I hate him.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Jip wrote:

I think you misunderstood. I said "What's more entertaining between 9 and 12?" I don't think age profile can be a time. :rolleyes:

I listened to him this morning, and I really don't see what's the problem. The show is funny, entertaining, interesting.... what more can you ask for?

I'm guessing you guys didn't grow up with him on the Den, did ya?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Gizzle

Liam Byrne wrote:
    Are you talking about "off the ball" ? If so, it proves that people have different tastes.....having heard about this before newstalk went nationwide, I tuned in the first week and haven't tuned in since.....

Off the ball is aural rape.

But, OT, I'm relatively new to the 9 - 12 radio slot, before I started my new job there was no radio in work, and I think the show is good craic. Good interplay between Will and himself, although I think Will is criminally underused.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

VonLuck wrote:
    The show is funny, entertaining, interesting

No, no and no. It's none of those three things anymore. Speaking as a former fan of the show it's lost the gloss. They used to be smooth, organised, prepared. Now they seem to spend their time reading pointless texts from the fan club, chatting and giggling to each other and wondering what to do next. The last hour or so of the show is usually dull as ditchwater, like they run out of what steam they have left by 11. I reckon chop that off - give it back to Ian (i.e. back to the 10-12 system) and force them to tighten up and keep motivated. I swear these days they're just making it up, and filling a lot of time (with texts and grouphug style chortling).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement