Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Got old comics to sell/get valued? Looking for something? POST ONLY IN THIS THREAD.

Options
  • 10-05-2007 2:51pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭

This thread is ONLY for discussing the value and rarity (or lack thereof) of old or second-hand comics.

From the Charter:

"Selling comics:

There are a few points to consider if you are selling comics:
    • Few if any comics from after the 60's are worth a significant amount in the collector/speculator market. Relatively few comics published after the mid-80s will be worth more than a fraction of their cover price. You can check sites like this (free registration required) to get an idea of the value.
    • Only comics in extremely good condition will fetch any significant amount of money in the collector/speculator market. (See here for more info)
    • The options for selling break down broadly as follows:
    |Timescale involved |Level of difficulty |Financial return
    Shops |Days |Simple |Low
    Online auctions |Days to weeks |Middling |Low to middling
    Collectors |Weeks/months |Complex |Middling to high
    Thus while you can make a reasonable return selling comics, you won't be able to do so quickly or easily. Conversely, you can probably sell a job lot of your comics quite quickly, but usually at a low price.

If you are selling comics on Adverts.ie, you may post a single reply in this thread. The post should list some of the comics you are selling and link to the Adverts.ie thread - all offers/dealing should take place only on the Adverts.ie thread. Please note this thread is only for individuals selling privately - if you are affiliated with or own a comics retail business (whether online or physical) you may not post in this thread.

Alternatives to adverts.ie include eBay and various other online auction or sale sites - if you wish to link to your listings on these or other external sites, you should do so by adding a link to your signature (in keeping with the boards.ie signature rules).

If you are primarily looking to get rid of your comic collection, there are alternative options you can consider. Some charity shops and libraries will accept donations of comics. You can also check sites like FreeCycle to see if anyone local would be interested in taking your collection."

Posts from people who haven't bothered to read either this original post or the section of the charter quoted above will be either merged into this thread or deleted, depending on how crotchety the Cranky Old Man Division of the Mod Squad is feeling at the time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Jonesy3110

If this thread is gonna be stickied it might be worth putting this linkety-link in for reference.

It has the comic book grading guide in there, it's pretty useful to see how the condition of comics affects the price:

http://www.comic-book-collection-made-easy.com/comic-book-price-guide.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

How are my chances of finding a copy of Batman: The Man Who Laughs? I know it's out of print.
    I see a few on eBay USA now and then but they always get grabbed up quick.

I'm basically a newbie collector and I was wondering what my chances of getting one if I put a wanted ad up on adverts.ie or something?

Also like to know the availability of "All Star Batman and Robin Boy Wonder", I heard it's not great but I really like Jim Lees Hush 1&2 and Frank Miller.

Thanks. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

Are 2000AD comics worth anything at all? I was planning on trying to sell them on ebay but there doesn't look to be much of a market for them. The only ones that sell on there are the first few early issues, whereas mine are issues from the 90s. I was gonna put them on for at most 50c an issue, but it doesn't seem worth my while.

Am I right in thinking that comics from the 90s (have a small amount of Marvel/DC too) would be practically impossible to sell?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Exit wrote:
    Am I right in thinking that comics from the 90s (have a small amount of Marvel/DC too) would be practically impossible to sell?

I'm no expert on the matter but to be honest I'd be surprised. Given the whole situation with the industry at the time, there's not that much stuff from back then which is actually in demand, which is ironic considering how many "limited edition" comics were being churned out.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Wookie5

A number of years ago I worked as a colourist for a company called Graphic Colour Works in Palmerstown doing contract work for the likes of marvel,CD ,Image etc. I've copies of all the projects I worked on and was wondering what is the easiest way to value a collection. Are there any sites listing prices etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Wookie5 wrote:
    A number of years ago I worked as a colourist for a company called Graphic Colour Works in Palmerstown doing contract work for the likes of marvel,CD ,Image etc. I've copies of all the projects I worked on and was wondering what is the easiest way to value a collection. Are there any sites listing prices etc

You can pick up a copy of wizard and check their price guide in the back - it would only be rough idea as their prices are based on your copies being mint and they don't offer prices for signed books. There are several places that offer to value your books [for a fee] They would grade all the books and seal each of them in a plastic sleeve. The grade would hold as long as you didn't break the seal.

If we are taking books from 1993 onwards their value wouldn't be very high. With all the multiple printings of variant and "collectible" issues the market just collasped on itself and mighty Marvel, along with several other publishers, had to declare bankruptcy in 1997. Marvel managed to claw back but the others didn't. You can try sticking them up on ebay and see what people offer cus at the end of the day books are really only worth what people are willing to pay for them.

forgot to ask when you were working as a colourists did you keep any of the production/colour proofs? Its hard to value them, but they would count as a type of original art and might be worth something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Did you know a guy called Paul Duffy?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Wookie5

ztoical wrote:
    forgot to ask when you were working as a colourists did you keep any of the production/colour proofs? Its hard to value them, but they would count as a type of original art and might be worth something

Yes I did get some but most went into archive.. As for Paul Duffy cant remeber tbh its been over 12 years since I worked there. Most of the stuff I have is from the early 80's with some gifts from marvel\dc from the 70's and reprints of issue #1 of superman spider man and a few others

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

Hey folks, I believe this is the right place for such a post. If not, feel free to do with my scribblings as you please. I have quite a stack of mostly Batman graphic novels for sale at significantly reduced rates. They take up too much space and I've read them all a million times anyway.

PM me if interested.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Liquidmarble

Hi all,

Just trying to get some information about this piece. What people think about it, its value and other info.

It was Published by Malibu / Rock-it Comics and drawn by Mike Carey. On Mike Careys website there is a small paragraph about this time of his career where he says...

"She got me some work for Malibu’s Rock-It Comics division, where I didcomics with Ozzy Osbourne and Pantera as the heroes - the Pantera oneis my worst work to date, and mercifully hard to find."

Theres no other information about the comic on his website at all. I would try emailing him but there are no addresses.

Just want to get some information about it really and what people think about it.

Hi all,

Just trying to get some information about this piece. What people think about it, its value and other info.

It was Published by Malibu / Rock-it Comics and drawn by Mike Carey. On Mike Careys website there is a small paragraph about this time of his career where he says...

"She got me some work for Malibu’s Rock-It Comics division, where I didcomics with Ozzy Osbourne and Pantera as the heroes - the Pantera oneis my worst work to date, and mercifully hard to find."

Theres no other information about the comic on his website at all. I would try emailing him but there are no addresses.

Just want to get some information about it really and what people think about it.

is that the one shot that Trevor Goring did the art for? I assume so as its Malibu [there are some really good Mexican comics called Pantera but nothing to do with the band :D]

Not surprised theres little info it was only a one shot and it was during the whole mid '90's Image comics we've all just discovered the lens flare option on photoshop period when the market was saturated with comics about, well, everything and then crashed.

Are you just looking to find out about the publication? Are you looking to buy a copy [theres one on ebay for 2.50] or are you looking to sell [you can sell it on ebay for at least 2.50]? I can't see it being a big seller for fan boys but maybe some Pantera fans - all that KISS stuff sells really well.

Or did you like the writing/art work and are looking for more by the same?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Liquidmarble

Nah i have it, its in mint condition and just wanted to find some stuff out about it. Yeah i saw that one on Ebay, it went for $30 but was only sold in the Phillipines and only being shipped to the Phillipines, no ones gonna buy that one.

I found the guy who made made it on myspace so i sent him a message just asking bout it. Ill see what he says if he gets back to me.

Are you sure it was $30, the one I saw sold for 160 Philippines Pesos which is like 2.70 in euros.

There's also copy for sale on comics for sale

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Hoovers

Calling on the people who know what's what- where will I be able to get old issues of spider-man & zoids? Published around 86-88 by marvel. Amazing drawings by Kevin Hopgood. Missed around 4 out of 51 issues. Found my collection recently and it's KILLING me that I don't have them all.

Any help or suggestions much appreciated.
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I loved the Zoids comic.

They were given a potentially crappy license and did some amazing stuff with it.

The Black Zoid was brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Prepare yourselves to go on a mystical magicial transportational ride across the very core of this forum to a place known as.........STICKY!

The Black Zoid was brilliant.

Yeah, that was amazing alright-annoyingly one of the issues I'm missing is how he gets beaten!

Hoovers wrote: »
    Calling on the people who know what's what- where will I be able to get old issues of spider-man & zoids? Published around 86-88 by marvel. Amazing drawings by Kevin Hopgood. Missed around 4 out of 51 issues. Found my collection recently and it's KILLING me that I don't have them all.

Any help or suggestions much appreciated.
    :D

have you tired story in temple bar? I can pm you the email for the shop in waterford as they have alot of back issues

ztoical wrote: »
    have you tired story in temple bar? I can pm you the email for the shop in waterford as they have alot of back issues

Yeah tried story, couldn't find anything - would love to get that email address from you please, as I'm kind of on a mission now!! Thanks.:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

bombidol wrote: »
    Prepare yourselves to go on a mystical magicial transportational ride across the very core of this forum to a place known as.........STICKY!

*yoink!* (Note to self : must steal this phrase and use it in future as if it were one of my own devising...)

As predicted I've merged this into the main back issues thread.

Hoovers wrote: »
    Yeah tried story, couldn't find anything - would love to get that email address from you please, as I'm kind of on a mission now!! Thanks.:D

PM'd you the email addy

excellent- thanks for the help.

Peace.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

I found my circa 1986 Transformers: the Movie, triple edition. It's a book version with all three sections of the story in one. Can't find it on t'internet, only in three parts. Wondering if it's worth anything at all. Not in the best of nick, bottom 1/4 of the back cover is missing and the spine is a bit ragged. Any ideas? Might get pics up if that'll help. PM please, as I forget to check posts.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭DILLIGAF

hey guys, anyone think this lot is overpriced?

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=52528

DILLIGAF wrote: »
    hey guys, anyone think this lot is overpriced?

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=52528

Its hard to judge as you haven't given a full list of what your selling, just a couple of names and the photos but honestly yes I think its overpriced - The Astonishing Spiderman isn't that the marvel uk comic? they aren't really worth anything as they are just reprints of the american comics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭DILLIGAF

lame :( ok I'll put a full listing up so! cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Anyone know where I can get the value on this?

Watchmen limited edition hardback/slipcase (1000 made). Published in 1987. Mint Condition.

I've had a bit of a look around and it's not looking too good unfortunately - as far as I can work out, the version you have is the 1987 Graphitti edition, but the recent Absolute Watchmen release from DC is effectively the same thing (including the bonus pages). So unless you find a completist who wants it for its rarity value, it's probably worth about the same as Absolute Watchmen (~$100, I think).

It would be worth comparing your edition to the Absolute Edition to check whether you've got anything rare in yours; there was allegedly meant to be a new piece of art commissioned for the Graphitti edition (which may or may not actually be in there) and if your copy is signed that should push the value up somewhat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Found this site..

http://www.milehighcomics.com/cgi-bin/backissue.cgi?action=fullsize&issue=94518585658%201

Marks it at $1,500 vs $75 for Absolute edition. Not sure how accurate that site is though. Is there a way to check?

I don't have the absolute version but as far as I know the only difference is there is some extra bits in absolute (script bits missing) and the cover is different. That and the 1987 version only ever had 1,000 prints and only 100 of them were signed (afair) on release.

Advertisement