Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Penalty Fares in CIE

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

sikes wrote:
    I have this huge coca cola bottle full of crappy coins, guess its going to have to stay there a little longer.

Cheers for the law reference, there could have been egg on my face!

No problem, Sikes. Glad this episode is coming to an end for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Victor wrote:
    Wouldn't it be better to have more / more available machines at the originating station?:rolleyes: 1,000 x 10c = 100 euro Pay them more if you wish.

Yes but there's not enough space at my station to put the needed booths, and seriously with the volume of commuters coming through everyday they need several machines!

Kearsn do you commute everyday? Do you not see that commuter trains do not come often enough, some days you're running late, it happens everyone, you should be still able to purchase a ticket without having to stand in a queue, miss your train, and be 30 mins late for work, its just not a good enough service. If it was a case of catching a train 5 minutes later like in most european cities then if would be fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

i live in London, there can be long queues at the ticket booths at rush hour too.

On the underground at least, you can't get on to the platform without a ticket. However almost everyone has prepaid tickets (either a weekly pass, or a pay-as-you-go smartcard).

it would be good if irish rail brought a similar system in. the current setup where you can pay at the other end sometimes (like if you get on at an unmanned station), with the lack of smartcard ticketing, is a recipe for confusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭eve

Broombridge station has neither a ticket office nor a ticket machine (mainly cos the local kids would burn it out).

Has anyone used this station since the automated system came in at Connolly? Has anyone got on at Broombridge and been fined at the other end for not having a ticket?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

eve wrote:
    Broombridge station has neither a ticket office nor a ticket machine (mainly cos the local kids would burn it out).

Has anyone used this station since the automated system came in at Connolly? Has anyone got on at Broombridge and been fined at the other end for not having a ticket?

I really fail to see why people are getting confused about this.

The rule is:

If it is possible to buy a ticket at the station then you must do so, if it is not, then you can pay at the destination.

It is never possible to pay at Broombridge, therefore you must always pay at the destination.

Similarly if a booking office is locked shut at the station that you are boarding at then you pay at the destination.

There was never any suggestion that it was otherwise - why would anyone be penalised for a facility that was not offered? There is no question of anyone getting on at Broombridge or any other unstaffed station and being fined for not having a ticket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

I went to pay my €50 fine yesterday, went to pearse straight after work, actually I even left a little early. Went up to one of the ticket guys and asked to pay my fine and got 'you've to pay during office hours'. I work 9 - 5.30 mon to fri, am I really meant to take time off work to pay these a***holes!!!! Couldn't believe it!

Advertisement