Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

midnight opening

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

Sully wrote:
    Tesco in Waterford are offering prices for best dressed and stuff - so im assuming tis the same in other Tescos.

Ah damn. There goes my I'm going to run into tesco at about 12.15 and leave at about 12.20 with book in hand and go home and read it. I do not want to be surronded by lots of little people in capes. But then I'm in Dublin so maybe all the super zealous kids will be in town.

I think Im going to go home and nap first aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Sully wrote:
    This will be my first year attending a midnight opening. Do many spoil it? Id assume the majority, at that hour, will be HP Fans?

I suppose it depends on where you're going.

I'm going to a local book store in a backward hick town where most can't read, so I think I'm safe from spoilerers... :)

From experiencwe, most will be small children with their parents, but anyone else will also be a fan.

T Minus 10 hours........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 alib

I'm down in Cork and want to get the book tonight so I can have a good 4 hours uninterrupted reading on the bus on my way up to Galway tomorrow.
    I'm like you awayindahills, just want to get in...get book...get out with no hassle, no wait and no kids that are up too late and with too much fanta and E-coloured sweeties in them. Plus none of my friends want to go with me....sob sob

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

having huge debate iwth my mate at the mo.. funny cos til she mentioned it, i was just waiting til sat morning, but now i *want* to go in to that midnight opening... but really really really dont want it spoiled... so far the only spoiler ive actually read is... dman, i cant figure out how to do an actual spoiler. well anyway, not too much has been spoiled for me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bounty_hunter

So excited! *bounces around*

• Advertisement

lol!

got through all of the half blood prince yesterday... well... put it down before *weird spoiler*: dumblydore had his big showdown and the likes (that hardly counts as a spoiler at this stage?!) as i just refused to go to bed on that thought but oh my god!

so sad!

this book is going to make me cry again, isnt it....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

I'm going to the gaeity tonight to Riverdance so I'll be taking a stroll down Dawson Street afterwards 8.30hr to go!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D

Yeah I stayed up all night last night trying to get through The Order of the Phoenix again (read The Half Blood Prince the night before), but I failed miserably. Oh well, I'm sure I haven't missed anything.

*does some more bouncing*

lol, got my hands on the first 6 last sat and have since read them all (though only had to skim through goblet).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Is this spoiler thing overexaggerated? I was gonna go into town for the atmosphere, but I could just go local....

I've heard like 3 minor spoilers that might even be fake so far, but would hate if it was ruined for me.

Unfortunately, there's a whole page blurred at the start of chapter 3 in the leak, so I could only get through 2 chapters. It seems like its gonna be very different, but exciting though

• Advertisement

yay! almsot certain im going!

w00t!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

narco wrote:
    (though only had to skim through goblet).
    GOF is the best! the only one of them I would love to re-read, but not know what will happen, so that I would think Moody is really Moody. the book is brilliantly written

well i only skimmed cos i was runnin low on time and know the thing almost backwards at this stage :D

GODAMMIT! DAMNED WHORE BAILED ON ME!!!!

*rings people frantically trying to persuade them*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Selphie

I got it!! Late night opening at Easons! :D:D:D now to read for the night....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Well, I have to admit the midnight openings were very funny. Waterstones and HF had massive queues and Reeds were empty. Walked into Reeds and picked a copy up with no queue for my friend who paid me back in pints \o/

Nearly everyone in the queue had preordered/reserverd a copy so were prepared to wait in line

haha, i was goin to go to waterstones, but the queue was ridiculously long. ended up in hodges figgis... was in and out by 1am, not too bad. unfortunately was sick last night, so couldnt get stuck properly into the book.l.. up to page 180 now... dying to discuss developments with someone so will be on here as soon as ive finished! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

theres a video of the queue at easons in limerick on www.limerickblogger.org there was 100's there for the midnight launch with entertainment and the likes
    was there a lot of people in dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

I was no.3 in line in Dubarry's on Grafton St. , my friend was no. 1 and got a goody bag.

It was €20 though... Had it been my decision, my friends and I would have sacrificed our high positions in the line and gone somewhere else.

It was good fun though.

wow, twas €13.30 in hodges figgis.

• Advertisement

10.99 in tesco.... No Freebies though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

I went to Easons on O'Connell St + it was SOOOOOOOO good. I reckon at least a thousand were in the queue... Twas 12.99 with a goody bag with 3 other book + a t-shirt, + we were given sweets, things to colour in + quizzes in the queue, then more sweets, crisps + drinks while in the queue in the shop. OMG can't believe I'll never get to do it again tohu!

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Shadowless

Left my house at 12. Waltzed into 24 hour Tesco's in Dundalk around quarter past. Picked up my copy (for €10.90 :eek: ) and was home by half. Why anyone bothered to queue is beyond me

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I went to Easons liffey Valley and I got mine free!
    ad I only had to wait 3 and a half hours too >__>
    it was a greeat night, goody bags and free sweets, all the staff dressed up and they showed the first film in the shop

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

got mine in Hoggis Figgis...13.30...not too bad!!!

Went to Waterstones on Dawson Street. They had owls!! Including the eagle owl who was in the first movie. Owls > sweets tbh :p

Damn sight tastier as well.

>_>

<_<

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

I queued at Easons in Limerick!!! My girlfriend deciced she wanted to queue at about half six. We got into town at about 5/10 to 7, were 15th and 16th in queue. Ended up getting the books and aforementioned goody bags for free because of our dedication:p

I have to say I was very happy with Easons.

Went to Waterstones on Dawson Street. They had owls!! Including the eagle owl who was in the first movie. Owls > sweets tbh :p

what time did you get there at? the queue was just ridiculously long by the time i got there, id say longer htan the easons and hodges figgis ones put together...

so i shuffled over to hodges figgis...

• Advertisement

narco wrote:
    what time did you get there at? the queue was just ridiculously long by the time i got there, id say longer htan the easons and hodges figgis ones put together...

so i shuffled over to hodges figgis...
    About 9:45 ish. There was no queue then, but I went away for a few minutes and when I came back there was :rolleyes: I was only about 20th in line anyway.

Advertisement