Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

midnight opening

Options
  • 06-05-2007 11:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭

i plan on going to the opening at midnight to get the new book does anyone know where is doing them,i want to go to waterstones in jervis but i dont know if its openingb

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

I'd say Easons on O'Connell Street is your best bet, but I'm sure there are pleanty elsewhere.

I doubt Waterstones on Jervis will because its part of a larger centre. Perhaps Waterstones on Dawson Street?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

yeah il have a look there anyway and check,i know theres a few places that are its just trying to find the best one to go to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭charba

I happened to be in town the night before the 6th book went on sale.

As far as I remember Waterstones on Dawson Street was open, they had magicans to keep the kids entertained.
    Also Hughs and Hughs in Stephen Green Centre was open and Easons on Nassau street and O Connell street.
    One of the shops was giving out hot choclate and marshmallows too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

Woop...i Can't wait for this!!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I've never been to a Harry Potter midnight opening, and now I never will... I'm going to be away when this book comes out :( But if anyone, and I mean ANYONE, spoils anything from the book for me..... I will find out where you live and harpoon you through the head

(I think I will have to avoid the TV, radio and especially the internet until I've fully read the book - god knows when that will be)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

I've never been to a Mid-night opening either...I plan to stay up for the rest of the night to read it then sleep the whole next day!!!

Where are you going?? could you not buy it there?? I got the last one in Spain and the one before that in the States coz i couldn't wait tilli got home!!!

I'm volunteering as a research assistant in Honduras, so when it comes out I will be in the middle of the jungle! I won't be back in Ireland until September, though I might buy it in Miami airport on my way home so I've something to read on my transatlantic flight. If I do make it to a town when the book comes out, chances are I'll only be able to get it in Spanish... Knowing my luck SOMEBODY there will get their hands on it or will hear from someone else, and will ruin the ending for me. DEATH!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Holy ****! Still, since you're going to be in the middle of nowhere, chances are you won't be spoilerized.

Perhaps someone could mail it to you? You must be the one that gets your hands on it! :)

Yeah I might get my mum or someone to mail it to me... It'd probably cost a fair bit and I've no idea what my address will be yet, but it's worth it cos a) it means I'm less likely to have it spoiled for me and b) it means I won't have to read the American version! I'm a spelling and grammar freak you see... I lost my copy of the Order of the Phoenix, so last time I reread the books I borrowed my brother's copy which he bought in Hawaii (he was on a J1 when that book came out) I nearly went demented from all the American spellings... Color, gray, mustache, pajamas, neighbor, traveled, spiraled, odor.... Arrgh!!

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭katarin

i went to the midnight opening last time, but it was in portlaoise so i was the only person over 12 there and the bookshop people kind of laughed scornfully at me as i grabbed my copy and scarpered. i was gona go to dubray on grafton street this year, but i think i might give waterstones a look in instead. magicians! :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'm assuming i wont need to go to the midnight opening to get my hands on a copy, will i? I'll buy it the day it comes out, assuming its not gonna be sold out or anything.

i went to a midnight opening last time:)i started reading as soon as i got it and only stopped for toast breaks every few hours lol i didn't sleep at all

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭term

Borders in Charing Cross, London are getting the world's fastest speed reader in on the launch night to provide the first review for the press. Don't know quite how fast she will read the entire book, 10-15 mins?

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭katarin

term wrote:
    Borders in Charing Cross, London are getting the world's fastest speed reader in on the launch night to provide the first review for the press. Don't know quite how fast she will read the entire book, 10-15 mins?

Thats the suckiest way ever to have to read the last HP book

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

Prob not a fan of the books and is just getting paid to do it since they are the worlds fastest

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

I was at the one in the omni centre (books unlimited) last time cos i know someone who works there. Starbucks or whatever that coffee shop is were giving out free coffee and cookies. I will so be back for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Fids

Borders in Blanch are doin the midnight opening

theres one in limerick that im going to,they're giving away goodie bags and all,Thank god i booked my copy months ago:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Fids wrote:
    Borders in Blanch are doin the midnight opening
    Hmm might go to that for the laugh. Gotta drag a friend with me though (don't wanna seem like a weird 20 year old paedo!)
    Are they still taking pre-orders there?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I went along to the midnight openings last time and I'm not even a fan of the books..

But it was good fun though.

Go up the Dawson Street/Nassau Street end and you're within walking distance of four major bookshops all trying to out do each other and all giving out free gifts.

Eason's won if you ask me... they completely redecorated the shop and had staff dressed up as characters and as you entered the shop you were assigned to a specific house... gryffindor and such...

• Advertisement

that sounds cool. One of my mates is a massive HP fan and she has been at the last 2 Midnight openings in town (or else just the one, not too sure). but she loved them, i'd go with her this time but don't really want to go into town. Much handier to just head down to Blanchardstown SC seeing as how I live close to it!

Hmm, it's actually time for a refresher on the series. Away I go to read them again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

Hmm might go to that for the laugh. Gotta drag a friend with me though (don't wanna seem like a weird 20 year old paedo!)
    Are they still taking pre-orders there?

Ah don't worry, I'll look like a weird 18 year old pedo. Though, I dunno if they'll be sold out I might just go up the next morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,216 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

If you have it pre-ordered, they'll keep a copy of it till next morning for ya. I must find my pre-order slip thing, otherwise its a wasted €5.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bounty_hunter

Are Easons doing it this year? Gonna go for the craic (and for the valid reason to pretend to be a kid again). I went in London for a previous book and it was great :D

Easons in the Blanchardstown SC are so I don't see why other big Easons won't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Hypnotoad

Anyone know of a midnight opening in or around Tallaght?
    And would you need it preordered to get it in any of the shops at midnight?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,998 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Anyone know if the Easons in Dundrum will be open?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

Er, stupid question alert;

Is it released on Friday or Saturday? Thus should one be heading in on Thursday night or Friday night? Also, who gives the most free stuff? I heard it was Eason's O'Connell St last time, but I'm nothing if not a special offer whore!

Friday night my good friend. And I've heard from someone who works in that particular Easons that he believes that they will be the suppliers of the most free stuff again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

Friday night my good friend. And I've heard from someone who works in that particular Easons that he believes that they will be the suppliers of the most free stuff again.

Will you be in attendance yourself?

Advertisement