Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

midnight opening

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bounty_hunter

Thanks, that's what I wanted to hear. How do you pre-order? Do you have to actually call into the shop? And do you by any chance know if the "free goodies" are worth pre-ordering for? Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I dunno what you get but I want free stuff! I'm gonna call into Easons tomorrow after I go to the gym so I'll report back with the possible freebies.

Excellent, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

pljudge321 wrote:
    She actually wrote them so that the books would mature along with the audience. Read the philosophers stone and then the half blood prince, hell of a big difference in both subject matter and tone.

oh yeah, well id kinda gathered that much... but just everyone saying 'will somone my age be there, i dont wana look like a paedo...'

had never even remotely crossed my mind to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

I will no longer be going to opening, as I can safely say at least one moron will be roaring the spoilers all down the streets, hergo I'll be buying the book on Saturday morning/afternoon, when I'll have no real chance of being attacked by assholes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

argh, i just saw spoilers on a thread below. Only caught a glimpse but some of it stuck in my head. God I hope its not real. It's the thread about Easons 4.99 .

I'm bringing a weapon with me on Friday, and i'm quite prepared to kill anyone who tries to spoil it

the most probable form of spoiling is a drive-by shout, or if they have the technology a drive-by megaphone shout

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

The Bollox wrote:
    the most probable form of spoiling is a drive-by shout, or if they have the technology a drive-by megaphone shout

Then perhaps ranged weapons would be our best bet.

I suggest a dozen eggs, but there is the possibility of both friendly fire, and retalitory fire. a bag of flour, as artillery, wouldn't go astray either...

this could be fun

I suggest a group of us go to a midnight opening together wearing some kind of force field. Alternatively, we could all travel in a large group and loudly hum a single note in unison for the duration of our time there. This should create some kind of noise barrier and thereby prevent any of us from hearing the drive-by attacks.

• Advertisement

word to the wise, don't go looking in the feedback thread. I had the misfortune to read one of the big spoilers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

i pre ordered mine to be safe.im heading in about 10 to get there early. I didnt pre order last year though and all was fine

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Tesco (in Waterford at least) are doing the book at a lower-cost apparently.

However, ill be going into the Book Centre here in Waterford if all goes well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

The Bollox wrote:
    I will no longer be going to opening, as I can safely say at least one moron will be roaring the spoilers all down the streets, hergo I'll be buying the book on Saturday morning/afternoon, when I'll have no real chance of being attacked by assholes
    Why not just read it before the midnight opening?

That's my plan anyway. :)

(well provided reading from a PC screen doesn't get too painful, but I reckon I'll be ok if I lie in my bed and read it off my laptop, some pages are a bit blurry though...)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

Facts and Fables in Nenagh and The Nenagh Bookstore also opening at Midnight. The Bookstore is doing wine and cheese.

Wine and cheese :p That's not very wizardy.

Wine and cheese :p That's not very wizardy.
    were you expecting Butterbeer and Bertie Blott's Every Flavour Beans? :p

Well, something a bit more imaginative than wine and cheese :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

The Bollox wrote:
    were you expecting Butterbeer and Bertie Blott's Every Flavour Beans? :p

oooo that would be nice....

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭*marie*

I want to go to a midnight opening but I won't be here :(
    Haha I live in a rural town and when HBP came out I cleverly decided to go to the pub first, then stumbled over to my local bookshop getting weird looks from kids in cloaks! Wouldn't advise it though as I couldn't stay awake to read the book...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Hypnotoad

Is going into town to get the book worth it?There's a tesco way closer to me that'll have it but they aren't giving away free stuff and there won't be anyone there really...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

From what I know the free stuff isint that much, just a bag for the book and some free sweets.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Tesco in Waterford are offering prices for best dressed and stuff - so im assuming tis the same in other Tescos.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

term wrote:
    Borders in Charing Cross, London are getting the world's fastest speed reader in on the launch night to provide the first review for the press. Don't know quite how fast she will read the entire book, 10-15 mins?
    Of course given that Borders are likely to have the book already (bookstores will tend to get the book delivered with their regular run - Limerick bookstores have HP7 in their storerooms since today), they could just sneak one out of the bottom, give to her and she could read it at a nice leisurely pace. They'd have to pretend she'd read it quickly, ten or twenty minutes should do for a delay.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭afatbollix

ill be working to 1/2 1 on friday...... what time will the shops be closing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

I don't really know but I doubt they'd stay open that long unless there was a really long queue.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

seriously rethinking the midnight opening thing... really really dont want idiots spoiling it on me...

*contemplates sending trusted friend in instead*...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

did anyone see Waterstones on Dawson Street??

It's been renamed Flourish and Botts....I kid you not!!! :):)

This will be my first year attending a midnight opening. Do many spoil it? Id assume the majority, at that hour, will be HP Fans?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

Anyone going to Easons in Galway? All ye Dubliners are making me assume there's a mass migration to Dub for tonight! :L

Advertisement