Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€200 + €20 Deep Stack tournament @ the Sporting Emporium

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 32,849 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Back on topic please, all crap deleted, and be nice!!!!! I'm looking at you with a very cross expression right now PL.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

:o sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

5starpool wrote:
    crap deleted,
    FFS.... anyone copy and paste this from before the Changes??:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Jayminator

Ah sure seeing as i got well paid in the 3 way chop chop i ll post my opinion........ BCB push pre flop, go with your instinct. Lloyd folds....End of...........

Good tourny, great structure but has anyone an opinion that the structure might need to change as the tourny seems to be running into a 2 day event. They did stop the clock for over an hour when 10 handed and then decided to re start the clock before final table.. Keith could not return today to play it out so an even 3 way deal was the only option.

Had some interesting tangles with myself and Shane and the best bits are the fact that neither of us are still none the wiser about each others play.. i.e no hand bags at dawn over hands but shane is deffo putting on a bit of weight eating all them cookies from the jar.

A strong enough final table with some good play but pity it finished with so much play left. I was really lookng forward to it as i aint played a tourny since the IO and was very happy to cash...

P.s more hand bags lads please its great craic

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Jayminator wrote:
    Ah sure seeing as i got well paid in the 3 way chop chop i ll post my opinion........ BCB push pre flop, go with your instinct. Lloyd folds....End of...........

Good tourny, great structure but has anyone an opinion that the structure might need to change as the tourny seems to be running into a 2 day event. They did stop the clock for over an hour when 10 handed and then decided to re start the clock before final table.. Keith could not return today to play it out so an even 3 way deal was the only option.

Had some interesting tangles with myself and Shane and the best bits are the fact that neither of us are still none the wiser about each others play.. i.e no hand bags at dawn over hands but shane is deffo putting on a bit of weight eating all them cookies from the jar.

A strong enough final table with some good play but pity it finished with so much play left. I was really lookng forward to it as i aint played a tourny since the IO and was very happy to cash...

well played Jay.

You got a lucky break when your queens cracked my J5.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭ianmc38

The-Rigger wrote:
    well played Jay.

You got a lucky break when your queens cracked my J5.

The aces are getting cracked alot these days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭58o

Jayminator wrote:

Good tourny, great structure but has anyone an opinion that the structure might need to change as the tourny seems to be running into a 2 day event.

Dont think the structure should change at all , its perfect as is.Its always been advertised as a 2 day event as far as i know, and i think people need to start factoring this into their decision whether to play the event or not. It took longer than normal to reach the final table last night, i think this was due to the smaller than normal field(less dead money maybe?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Jayminator

Sory Shane i never realised it was advertiswed as a 2 day tourny. Yeah i agree with the structure so and yes deffo the numbers being less was most likely an indication of a higher standard of play. Hence the late FT.

As for the Rigger... The new AA's i'e J5 off....even when i seen them against my QQ i sighed the inevitable sigh but alas your new Aces unluckily never held up even with the J on the turn...

Ok next time i ll plan for a 2 day long haul tourny Shane. Well played again man i enjoyed our tangles. Did i win 3 out of 5 or was it 4 out of 5 im not sure LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭rag2gar

Anyone that can get "two lovers missing the tranquility of solitude" into a song is a genius. LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭Marq

Lloyd and Noel, you both played that hand like idiots.
    But then you had a spectator-friendly argument on boards for our enjoyment, so as you were.

Lloyd, push or fold preflop (you're practically committed to the pot if BCB or anyone else calls so get it in with more folding equity now)
    BCB, push preflop obviously (considering your commitment to your read)

Lloyd, push flop
    Lloyd, fold river.

Standard river call.
    FTR I think the preflop call OOP with KJ is the biggest of a litany of errors from both players in this hand, but the river donk push is so awful it makes my brain hurt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭Flushdraw

Jayminator wrote:

I think there was enough play in the tournament not to warrant the clock being stopped. The average stack to BB ratio was always decent and stopping the clock while 10 handed was a mistake.

It took an hour to lose the 10th player and then the deal that took €600 out of the prize pool to pay 7th, 8th and 9th was a bit of a joke IMO.

Well done on splitting this Jay and Shane

7th, 8th and 9th got nothing, and if they did I did not agree to it?????????

5starpool wrote:

Dom sorry to break it to you mate. They each got €200. AFAIK there was 300 taken off top, 150 off 2nd, 100 off 3rd and 50 off 4th

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭BigCityBanker

5starpool wrote:

300 150 100 50 was taken from the top 4 spots Dom. Where were u when this was being agreed?

Not there obviously. I am not impressed, even though it didn't affect me in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭ollyk1

5starpool wrote:

LMAO! Good man Dom! letting them rob you blind!!

edit: Obviously not funny that a deal was "agreed" behind Dom's back but the fact that all the players were getting knocked out and paid by the desk and he didn't notice is a little funny. Also that Dom was playing a non existent money bubble is darkly comedic to me....

5starpool wrote:

I'm pretty sure you were there when this was agreed right at the beginnig of the FT. I wasnt super happy with it either but felt it would speed up play considerably,couldnt believe how long it took to lose 10th even allowing for the fact we were hand for hand. Need to brush up on my dealmaking/refusing skills!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭ollyk1

58o wrote:
    I'm pretty sure you were there when this was agreed. I wasnt super happy with it either but felt it would speed up play considerably,couldnt believe how long it took to lose 10th even allowing for the fact we were hand for hand. Need to brush up on my dealmaking/refusing skills!

Myself and Tony were calling yourself, Noel and Dom all the pussy names under the sun but it seems Dom is exempt! :p

ollyk1 wrote:
    Myself and Tony were calling yourself, Noel and Dom all the pussy names under the sun but it seems Dom is exempt! :p

LOL

Dom, was like a spring in this tourney - he just kept coming back.

I had him all in 3 times

Me QQ v AQ - he hits an A

Me AK v A7 - 10 10 8 10 A for a split

Me A4 v Q7 - well about time u went!!

• Advertisement

ollyk1 wrote:

LOL. Tony was actually standing at the table when this deal was proposed, and I thought I saw a thinly disguised look of disgust on his face when it was accepted. I blame BCB, the whole thing was instigated by him! You should have said something Tony...."All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"

58o wrote:
    LOL. Tony was actually standing at the table when this deal was proposed, and I thought I saw a thinly disguised look of disgust on his face when it was accepted. I blame BCB, the whole thing was instigated by him! You should have said something Tony...."All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"

I dont even think you cared about the deal. You just accepted to get on with the game and get it over. I just felt that it took away the edge you may have had in the game. With your stack compared to the shorties, taking away the bubble allows them to gamble when they would otherwise fold to your bets.

I'd never suggest anything while i'm not in the tournament but some people were just hangin on for dear life and now they had a safety net. If they're not willing to lose €200, then why play in the 1st place.

I might have suggested you give 7th place their money back, but to pay 9 out of 50 or so runners is far too much

As for the money beign handed out, I was in seat 3 with my back to the table, and as for the money bubble, I did mention it a couple of times, but no one either passed any heed or thought I was joking. Next time I will make sure.

As for the elastic me Noel, I got a couple of doggings too, noticeably my A5 vs Maaaaarks 92 and A8 vs 87 on the FT. Not for my life, but they both meant that I couldn't stop being under pressure a bit.

Flushdraw wrote:
    I dont even think you cared about the deal. You just accepted to get on with the game and get it over. I just felt that it took away the edge you may have had in the game. With your stack compared to the shorties, taking away the bubble allows them to gamble when they would otherwise fold to your bets.

I'd never suggest anything while i'm not in the tournament but some people were just hangin on for dear life and now they had a safety net. If they're not willing to lose €200, then why play in the 1st place.

I might have suggested you give 7th place their money back, but to pay 9 out of 50 or so runners is far too much

only joking about you saying something btw! But yeah i didnt give it as much though as i should have, dont have a huge amount of experience re dealmaking at the FT and a 20% payout was a bit much. With hindsight i can see it was pretty stupid, but i just wanted the hangers on to get moving.Next time .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭semibluff

well played Jay and Shane, delighted to see ya's getting good results

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

Just some random thoughts on the hand, in my experience Noel will often call raises with hands other people would drop. I wouldnt advise anyone to call a raise with KJ oop but you have to accept other people play differently than you do lloyd. Its best in poker to have the understanding that other people dont make mistakes, you do. You cant fix other peoples mistakes (and you shouldnt want to) Your first mistake preflop was to not know Noels range. Its not his fault you didnt realise he may peel a flop with Kjo. Secondly reraising him with KQ and no plan for post flop was a huge mistake.

Your post flop play in the hand was simply awful. You have shown a lot of strength preflop, so pushing the flop is probably best. But if you check here (and I would sometimes if I had decided to give up) your hand looks exactly like what it is. Missed highcards. If noel has any sense he knows that almost any pair is ahead. Checking here with AA or a set would actually be good play.

When you check the turn it confirms that you dont have anything. No-one is going to let 2 streets go by with any hand to protect. So on the river when checked to you have to check, if you bet here you are being looked up by any pair. Noels river play is actually the one truly good play by either player in the hand - a river bet by him would be awful. You clearly have nothing, unless you hit the jack, but if the jack hit you you probably have AJ. So a bet would have no value, his hand is much better of as a bluff catcher. His check was actually a very nice play. If you check behind its very unlikely you were calling abet anyway.

This hand is quite interesting and there is some important stuff going on. If you walk away from this hand not learning anything but raging at BCB for his pre flop call then your making it very hard for yourself to improve.

As a last note BCB said one of the reasons he called preflop was he was getting 2:1, its hard not to be getting 2:1 and it is not a reason to call preflop. The exact pot odds dont really matter preflop when there is still a good bit of money to go in, and with KJ the money is much more likely to go in bad than good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

Just to add, when you push the river, you cant even have AQ or AK, because they would check behind and hope to win

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Solksjaer

Your post flop play in the hand was simply awful. You have shown a lot of strength preflop, so pushing the flop is probably best. But if you check here (and I would sometimes if I had decided to give up) your hand looks exactly like what it is. Missed highcards. If noel has any sense he knows that almost any pair is ahead. Checking here with AA or a set would actually be good play.

Not sure I'd 100% agree here.

Pushing the flop with KQ is risky in this situation. Surely just a strong raise would take down the hand. Why risk everything on KQ post flop? I agree the river is not the place to do it though.
    Also if the other guy has a big pair or a set you would find out soon enough with a strong raise. How often are you being called with KJ here? If I wanted to win the hand badly I'd raise strong but I would not push here. (maybe in a mickey mouse 50 Euro game :-)

Good post HJ,

Just one point - Im not in the habit of calling raises OOP with KJo and as I alluded to above their were external factors influencing the play in this hand. 12 months ago im sure id have instacalled his preflop raise, but that was before I knew better.

Anyway, I suppose il see you Thursday night for the 100 DC in the SE. Im due a result in that one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭bottom feeder

Solksjaer wrote:
    Not sure I'd 100% agree here.

Pushing the flop with KQ is risky in this situation. Surely just a strong raise would take down the hand. Why risk everything on KQ post flop? I agree the river is not the place to do it though.
    Also if the other guy has a big pair or a set you would find out soon enough with a strong raise. How often are you being called with KJ here? If I wanted to win the hand badly I'd raise strong but I would not push here. (maybe in a mickey mouse 50 Euro game :-)

Will out of interest, if you did play the hand [badly] what kind of bet do you think would be sufficient here as Lloyd re – raised Noel for almost half his stack pre flop with KQ.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement