Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Macau Festival

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭dougee19

sitout wrote:
    Im not saying these two guys are not without their friends in the game, what i always objected to was the way they mocked and jeered other players for their play (i can think of numerous examples),
    yeah ive gotten that quite a bit, lol. but it was in good humour and i'd like to think i handled it okay, apart from the time i hit sideshow :o:o :rolleyes:

sitout wrote:
    they did not get barred for nothing lads now did they
    well......
    im still not too sure why i did.... being too cheeky isnt an official reason in my eyes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Flipper

DopeyLocks wrote:
    How do u know if an elephant has been in your fridge?

There are foot prints in the butter! :)

Dopey
    And mayo in the potatoes apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Sirtoyou

As a regular macau punter cash and tourneys i have to defend it as being a safe controlled environment to play.what more can u ask?
    personally ive never been treated with anything but respect and courtesy since going there as a newbie two years ago.
    i dont know the full details of sideshows and gavins barrings but macau is a poorer place without them.ive never seen sideshow personally insult anyone
    or disrespect "ladies" at the tables.a major part of his game is trying to put players on tilt and its enjoyable to watch but not everyone understands this or likes it.
    as for gavin as a new player in macau i found him to be one of the friendliest
    and most approachable players for advice etc.

Sir

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭carfax

connie147 wrote:
    I dont know the wrongs and rights of these barrings in the Maccau, But I wsh someone could broker a peace deal. Im sure its best for all concerned(including the Maccau) that a way is found to bring this situation to an end.

Agree with that 100%.........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭BIG-SLICK-POKER

carfax wrote:
    Agree with that 100%.........

ditto

ok, I've remained silent during this "debate" until now but I feel I should give my two cents as a player that has been going there for years and as someone whose opinions are as valid as anyone elses.

LARDO, I still haven't worked out who you are but to answer your question the link to the thread about Michael Douglas being barred is here - but it does not paint the club in the best light so to speak. I know very little about the subject so I'll remain quiet.

I'm aware Ken is reading these posts and Ken being Ken, is taking them seriously and to heart. Ken, you run a business whose primary customers (on the poker side) are grumpy, arrogant and hard to please but are for the most part, intellegent people. Some of them give you grief and a hard time on here (sometimes justified and sometimes not) but for the most part, you should try to take them seriously and as constructive criticism. If you are going to do the "poor me" routine, I'll point you to this thread where the Merrion got a flaming. All I will say is that poker is a developed game in Dublin (must be around 20 years) and is only getting going in Cork over the last year or two. I just hope you open your eyes to some of the proplems staring you in the face and be less concerned about what personalities you let in games.

DopeyLocks, while I agree with some of your points, I think you are being a tad harsh. Personally, i think the Macau has two faults:
    1: The dealers are often of a poor standard
    2: I do feel the cash game rake is exceptionally high.

I can't really offer a solution for the first one but as for the second, I've always felt that the rake in clubs like The Vic in London is very honest as it is collected from players every half hour. It also has a personal touch of a manager calling around and plesantly asking each player for the rake individually. When I came to the Macau the other night, I questioned you about the rake and got a fairly snappy answer: "what do you pay online?". Well, I pay $2 a pot (35% of which I get back in lump sums) online. This is significantly smaller than the €7 (€6 rake + €1 league) from every pot. While this is not why I left that night, it certainly didn't encourage me to stay. You did say that the dealers "slow down" the rake as the hour approaches but I already question their ability to deal the cards, not to mention the complex procedure of controlling the flow of the rake. Personally, I think that €7 per hand is very high and you can't compare it to the likes of the rake at the EPT or Irish Open as they are exceptions. This is something that needs to be looked at IMO. Sitout is right when he says that the management can go on the odd power trip and the line "if you don't like it, there's the door" is not an acceptible argument in any case. This is ALL CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM

On the plus side, the Macau are always friendly towards me and I find it to be very plesant surroundings with a comfortable atmosphere. Rarely have I had a confrontation in there and any that I have had, have been resolved quickly. Their tournaments are some of the best in the country and I advise anyone who has yet to come down to get a ticket for the Main Event in the Summer before they're all gone. Finally Ken, I think you should look at employing some sort of "poker ambassador" to develop the game further. I'm not putting myself forward for the job but someone who knows players from all over the country and from abroad could do wonders by attracting new interest to the club. You don't need to micro-manage this stuff yourself. Pay someone else to do it.

Sitout (Connie), while I think it's hilarious that you've been "outed" like this, I think verbally attacking Gavin and Bob on here is petty and uncalled for. I've been subject to attacks her myself and I have found that people are very brave sitting behind a keyboard where no one knows their identity. We all think more of people who speak up for what they believe in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭sitout

i love this site.

i have an idea ! have a tourny for all the barred former members.1st gets left back in 2nd a mixed box of usa biscuits and third a ticked to the next event of its kind!
    SIOBHAN(lol)

sitout wrote:
    i have an idea ! have a tourny for all the barred former members.1st gets left back in 2nd a mixed box of usa biscuits and third a ticked to the next event of its kind!
    SIOBHAN(lol)
    4th place gets a moro??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭LARDO

ok as i started this highly entertaining ball rolling i think its now up to me to make a contribution, so pay close attention.

Having considered all the contribution thus far i think its clear we need to discuss the dinosaur! Its obvious isn't it........

Lets begin and bear in mind this lesson is aimed all those card room managers out there and maybe those loosing the battle of the chipper!
    and indeed maybe some of you out there tick all of the above boxes!!!!

A dinosaur was a very large animal who lived in prehistoric times. The dinosaur basically had the jungle all to himself , ****ting all over the place and eating any small creatures who dared get in his way. All was well for a long while and the dinosaur was content gouging himself on food , ****ting all over the place and kicking the life out of the less important animals, his sharp teeth and huge girth allowed him to live as he wished.

The dinosaur had a problem though , and this was it, he had a huge body and a pea sized brain! The more he eat ,and boy he did not stop eating! the worse the ratio of the size of his brain to the size of his body! Eventually of course as we all know he became extinct, the poor old fellow!

LARDO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭The Sheriff 101

Is sitout connie the accountant?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭tipp86

Just to back up flippers point about the standard of dealing in the macau,i was sitting at the cash game last week when in one hand there was a pre flop raise and a call and the dealer then went on to deal out all five cards as if it was an all in situation.I find this a joke in one of the top card rooms in ireland as that one hand could have been the difference between a winning night and a losing night for a player.I heard there getting a self dealt table down there maybe not such a bad idea!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭BigCityBanker

I have to say I am seriously concerned about stories of poor dealers in the Macau. Bad dealing is one of the only things thats tilts me - 1500 could be badly spent if i get a crap dealer at my table.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭FungiWalsh

I have to say I am seriously concerned about stories of poor dealers in the Macau. Bad dealing is one of the only things thats tilts me - 1500 could be badly spent if i get a crap dealer at my table.

This seems to mainly be because of the high amount of dealers going in and out of the place in recent months. But it's probably more of a problem in cash games, with them having to deal with rake and tips and all that. The only problem I've seen in tournaments is sorting out the various pots in multiway all-ins. That tends to only happen in the small tourneys though, for obvious reasons, so shouldn't be that much of a concern in the main event there.

Don't worry, it's not quite as bad as the dealer having to ask "So I burn a card now, yeah?" ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Phil-Dublin

with the amount of banned players from this club, its a wonder they get a turnout at all

will i be banned now for saying this??

go on, please ban me from the Macau, you havent made it until you get banned from there

isnt that right sideshow?

FungiWalsh wrote:
    Don't worry, it's not quite as bad as the dealer having to ask "So I burn a card now, yeah?" ;)

i honestly was asked that at more than one occasion in the macau
    good old max when he was starting dealing omaha.... lol

and lardo, i pm'ed you asking who you are, since you know about my story, tell me who you are at least

and i want that f***ing moro!!!!

Have just been in the macau to put some cash into my betfair account(what a waste). While there i met finbar junior and he showed me there new cash came simulator, it seats six players and the is no dealer it works very much as online .This will no doubt speed the game up, get rid of dealer mistakes completly and save money for the player too as, there is no tipping!the day of the dealer is comming to an end ! The rake however is still the same which is a pity as there will no doubt be far more hands played per hour on this machine than a dealer delt game.Still maybe they might adjust it accordingly in the fairness of all .

yeah i was told about that ages back, graham the old dealer was telling me about it, or ken himself, cant remember
    friend was in there and told me about it a few days back,
    i guess they finally have a way around the bad dealer situation, but i dont think i like or trust the whole computerised thing, just a personal opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

I for one would like to applaud the Macau for barring Sideshow, as I was one of the people he roundly abused on several occasions. I had to stop going to all but the cheapest buy-ins just to avoid him (and of course then he'd come in for the cash games late at night, full of drink and doing his "high-larious" chinese accent). I gave up live poker for about 2 months because of him and was delighted when I heard he'd been barred. Hope he never comes back (which, if the rumours of him opening his own club are true, should be the case).

Yes, the dealers are pretty poor in the Macau, and side pots are normally a bit of a 'mare, but as someone said upthread, they're mostly part-timers, coming in for a few weeks. If they stick the anti social hours and the heckling from players and management, they become pretty good pretty quickly.

And the new food menu rocks, especially the ice cream :p

• Advertisement

Have to stick up for sideshow here i played in the macau on and off for a few months and got a bit of stick off him and gavin never any malice in it let gavin get to me once or twice but nothing major.
    Have to say i think sideshow added to the athmosphere.
    Met him again in killarney over the festival and he was nothing but a gent

Only person that ever really got to me was connie (sitout i think )
    who was a complete and utter condesending p***K "READ A BOOK" ring any bells con to me during the last time i played in their again foolishly let him get to me but was on a pretty bad run lesson learned.

EDIT not to say any of the other posters did not have any abuse from sideshow but in my expierence their was never any malice in some of the remarks but never in my expierence.

lol:D . i remember saying that to one person and one person only you must have a few name on here lad. And by the way your well able to dish it out too. i have no problem trying to put someone on tilt ,like you but its general mocking and insulting that annoys me ! I must open another account on this site too its a pretty clever idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭SpermManJelly

sitout wrote:
    I must open another account on this site too its a pretty clever idea.

Not as clever as posting as a male,giving your height and weight while later on posting as a woman who obviously never existed and thinking you wouldnt get caught. BUT to each his own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭The Clamper

while sideshow would occasionally let loose, i have always found him hugely entertaining and brings a certain atmosphere to a table

i also think he is a player in every sense of the word

when is the new club opening ? competition never hurn anyone and is usually good for the players, it also makes the operators take a little more care for their customers, so bring it on

i have no idea why anyone would ban the man, but there is a few i could think of that should be banned from clubs here in Dublin

if only ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭RacingSilver

ROFL.

Somebody should tell Gavin and Bob about this - it's not fair that they're taking all this abuse and not getting a chance to defend themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭The Clamper

i will prolly get banned too now

better go down in disguise next time

sherriff, can i have a loan of your hat and badge??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭nicnicnic

ROFL.

Somebody should tell Gavin and Bob about this - it's not fair that they're taking all this abuse and not getting a chance to defend themselves.

I'm sure both are well aware of the tread but are way above public slagging matches on an open forum where people hide behind aliases

sherriff, can i have a loan of your hat and badge??

The hat no problem :D .....
    but they took my badge off me im not the calling staion i used to be :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

On the dealer front, I played in a couple of the thursday night freerolls

I think you would have to excuse for this being that it was a freeroll and that is most likely time dealers would be trained in.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement