Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LOTR Online

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

You can probably download the client from bittorrent

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Ive asked online and ingame about a question i had...which an help you...and they all said it can be done

You can download the beta client, upgrade that, and play lotro using your official key

The beta client can be got from many sites knockin about :) , dont have a link on me as im in work

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

SeantheMan wrote:
    Ive asked online and ingame about a question i had...which an help you...and they all said it can be done

You can download the beta client, upgrade that, and play lotro using your official key

The beta client can be got from many sites knockin about :) , dont have a link on me as im in work
    I second that. It's how I'm playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

But what's the issue? Mine worked straight off the disc why wouldn't other peoples copies do the same?

But what's the issue? Mine worked straight off the disc why wouldn't other peoples copies do the same?
    Because they touch themselves at night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

SeantheMan wrote:
    .....Too many hunters and champions i think......

Yup, they outdamage every other class by a very large amount. Its a bit annoying to see hunters doing far more damage at range at the same level as my captain can do up close. And of course this causes all sorts of problems for guardians as the mob will take off and squish the hunter if he has not created enough threat already.

The problem is, that without captains/burgulars/minstrels/loremasters/guardians the hunters and champs simply cannot do the hard quests like Sambrog (well, they can, but only when the quest is green for them)... to do him you need buffs for yourself and debuffs on the mob.

Hunters are always attacked first it find :eek:

And whats the deal with money, i thought i was doin well keepin at 200 silver all the time after repairs, buyin skills etc

Then my mate..whos a miner/prospector whatever it is....tells me he's on 16 Gold and he's only level 19 :confused::confused: ...cause he makes and sells white gold or something like that

I've decided to make another character, a Minstrel and put him as a either a tailor or scholar as theres none that have both :(

I think the key to making money is to group craft (which I guess the game kind of promotes). That is, you are someone who prospects and your mate is a weaponsmith or something like that, where you process and use what you find. That way you can make some good stuff and sell it on.

Also, some people will buy the foraged stuff from you, like ore or wood. They can then process it themselves and get their crafting skills up. There's an area just above Scary in the Shire that has loads of iron nodes (it's not proper iron, it's a "something-iron" and I can't remember the something), and it has a lot of ash there too. I mined a load of the stuff and sold it on. You basically just need to keep enough to boost your skills and then sell everything else.

Sadly, I don't think the auctionhouses are used as much as they were in wow. But give it time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

humanji wrote:
    I think the key to making money is to group craft (which I guess the game kind of promotes). That is, you are someone who prospects and your mate is a weaponsmith or something like that, where you process and use what you find. That way you can make some good stuff and sell it on.

Also, some people will buy the foraged stuff from you, like ore or wood. They can then process it themselves and get their crafting skills up. There's an area just above Scary in the Shire that has loads of iron nodes (it's not proper iron, it's a "something-iron" and I can't remember the something), and it has a lot of ash there too. I mined a load of the stuff and sold it on. You basically just need to keep enough to boost your skills and then sell everything else.

Sadly, I don't think the auctionhouses are used as much as they were in wow. But give it time.

For leveling up metalworking and weapon smithing the Shire is a god send.
    Loads of copper, tin and barrow-iron in a zone where most players leave as soon as they can :)

Iv made about 2 gold so far just selling the ore's I no longer need on the AH along with my old crafted armors and various tools. Crafted armor rocks for the simple reason it level's up your crafting skills, is semi decent armor for the level you can first equip it and best of all its dosent bind to you so once you get a better peice for that slot you can sell it on the AH :D

Barrow-Ore! That's the one I forgot, lol

• Advertisement

I just built a new rig this evening... I'm currently installing LOTRO on it and I should be up and running again soon with graphics set to maximum... yay...

Bah... I'm having serious problems trying to run this game under Vista now...

lol, you should know better than to trust something new from Microsoft!

Btw, Rev Hellfire, you should maybe send a polite email to someone in power about the LOTRO Forum, in the forums section. It's been a while and so far no word. I'd do it, but I'm lazy and I didn't start that thread :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Popped into the admin channel and highlighted it to them.
    It'll happen sometime I'm sure :)

I'll keep checking the banlist for: Name: Rev Hellfire Reason: Pissing of admins over a new forum! :D

Quick Question: Does anyone know about mastering a craft? I've tried looking for stuff on it and everything is really vague, and I'm sure I'm missing out on something :(

humanji wrote:
    Quick Question: Does anyone know about mastering a craft? I've tried looking for stuff on it and everything is really vague, and I'm sure I'm missing out on something :(

It pretty straight forward.

Teirs go...
    Apprentice rank1
    Journeyman rank2
    Expert rank3
    Artisan rank4
    ? rank5
    ? rank6

You need to first level up the basic apprentice (Rank1) of a profession. Once this is done and your little anvil bar is full you get level 2 of said profession, your anvil bar resets to zero and you need to go back and redo the apprentice level again till you re-fill up the anvil xp bar and it vanishes for good this time. At this point you have access to the mastery tab down the bottom for level 1 so you can make better version of the level 1 stuff.

Now your maser master apprentice and novice journeyman and need to finish leveling up journeyman (rank2) and get to expert (rank3) before you can start leveling up the master level of journeyman (Rank2).

You can level up all the way through the crafting teirs before you work on each mastery of the various teirs but Iv found it easier to just level up and then master a teir as in most cases you still in an area with the required materials.

Ah grand, I was trying to figure it out and had no idea what was going on :D

Yeah, im an Artisan forrester

and a mater apprentice, master jounreyman and master expert

Ye go from apprentice to journeyman as per usual. But if you keep at the apprentice you'll see another bar thats leading up to a Gold Anvil, thats your mastery bar . When you hit that you'll be a master apprentice etc :rolleyes:
    And ye get little buffs from it,

For forrester its when im crafting say a boiled hide, ive a 5% chance that it'll make 3 of them in one go :eek: ...not much..but hey :rolleyes:

Aritsan stuff is to be found to the east of lone lands..in the trollshaws :p ....i cant kill anything there though...so i just ran round collecting stuff :p

Anyone get a horse yet btw ?
    My mans legs are ready to fall off :eek: :p

• Advertisement

The lone lands is a bit of a pain on foot alright... You have so far to walk every time you need to hand in a quest.

What level do you get a horse? 30, or 35 or something? That's what I liked about Vanguard, level 8 and you get a free horse. I never understood why, in fantasy lands, you can't just buy a bloody horse and ride it around, you have to level half way to the max limit and do a bloody quest for one :(

In City of Heroes you're not allowed to wear a bloody cape until you're level 20 for some reason.

lmao..never played city of heroes :p

Ehh..its level 35 for a horse, and they cost 4.5 gold :rolleyes:

Me and my 2 clanmates are at level 30 now...so prob bout another week or 2, as the exp levels have jumped up to 60,000exp+ per level :eek:

Does anyone know if the lotro game cards are on sale over here yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,135 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

well i have been playing wow since very first beta and tbh got very sick of it, jsut got boring soloing around on my own, usually everyone leveled alot faster then me. Think i might invest in this game see how it fairs, is it any use?

im not as such a wow fanboy but the only mmo i ever played was wow.

well i have been playing wow since very first beta and tbh got very sick of it, jsut got boring soloing around on my own, usually everyone leveled alot faster then me. Think i might invest in this game see how it fairs, is it any use?

im not as such a wow fanboy but the only mmo i ever played was wow.
    Well if you're used to WoW then the learning curve in this should be alot better for you.

I personally prefer the more realistic look of LOTRO to WoW's cartoony look.

Right then, since it doesn't look like we're getting a LOTRO forum, we may as well keep this thread alive.

I was just wondering if anyone has a particularly favourite place in the game world?

For me, I love the Barrow-Downs. They're exactly how I'd imagined them from reading about them. The only problem is that the ominousness of it is broken when a group of 6 people go running by every 2 seconds. But it's pretty cool, none the less. So, anyone else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Well I must admit I haven't seen much of the game since I started monster play.
    I did like the prancing pony, but the towns seems a little to clean to me (like a 50's western with no horse shít anywhere). The one place I do want to get to is weathertop :) cos I liked that in both the book and the film.

As for the forum, give it a few more weeks and if nothing happens we can always get a forum elsewhere if one is really required. Lot of people playing but not many posting :)

Perhaps we need a postcards from middle-earth thread, where people can post a nice screenshot of their favorite places in the books as seen in game ? Just to kick it off.

• Advertisement

Wasnt really impressed with weathertop :eek:
    Barrow Downs were cool :p

Rivendell is lovely though and i also like the Shire, just visitin all the spots :):)

Hvae to say..my fave place to date though...was the Old Forest:rolleyes:
    My fave moment in game to date..when me and my mate first got it and were exploring..next thing i hear a big thud...turn around...and 2 f*ckin trees chasing us :D:D:D ...i died whilst literally laughin my head off. :)

Plus my fave LOTRO character lives there...."Hey Doll merry doll....ring a ding a dillo..;) "...

Advertisement