Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LOTR Online

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭sunzz

Going to pick this up at lunch time just have one question.

do you need to have a credit card in order to start playing the game there and then or is it a case of you can buy a game card in GAME?

probs gunna roll on snowbourne

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

The game cards are in the shops. Gamestop has them anyway.

It's a bit too early for me to say if I prefer it over WoW or not...I'm certainly liking the slightly less cartoony graphics.. and the respawn and drop rates are brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Tusky wrote:
    Elrond
    Tusky
    MonkeyFudge
    Seantheman
    Wellyj

Snowbourne
    Humanji
    Dcully
    Hairball
    Maximilian

Evernight
    Buceph

before we do anything we should establish ourselves on the same server. Theres most likely going to be alot of boards.ie people playing the game and it would be a shame if everyone was scattered across different servers.

Well, I'll gladly shift server if people want to move and thus dissolve the current 4 Vs 4 stalemate (unless we all join Buceph on Evernight :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

sunzz wrote:
    Going to pick this up at lunch time just have one question.

do you need to have a credit card in order to start playing the game there and then or is it a case of you can buy a game card in GAME?

probs gunna roll on snowbourne

Roll on Elrond!

Okay, going to roll a minstrel on elrond, get humanji and dcully over there 2.

I've got a 70 undead mage and 70 be pally on emeriss be interesting to see if this game pull me away from wow.

Once again, do you initially need a credit card to start playign the game?

• Advertisement

I think you do, but I don't know if you can get game cards at all.

sunzz wrote:

I've got a 70 undead mage and 70 be pally on emeriss be interesting to see if this game pull me away from wow.

I had to enter credit card details to create my account (I used a 3v card though). I dont know if you can just use a gamepass and bypass the credit card info as Ive never used one of the cards.

Humanji, will you make the jump over to Elrond ?

Elrond
    Tusky
    MonkeyFudge
    Seantheman
    Wellyj
    Sunzz
    Longtime (starting at the weekend)
    Humanji (moving from Snowbourne)

Snowbourne
    Dcully
    Hairball
    Maximilian

Evernight
    Buceph

Tusky wrote:
    Humanji, will you make the jump over to Elrond ?

Looks like I don't have a choice. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

sunzz wrote:

No ;)

You DONT need a credit card in any shape of form to play
    You reigster and you get to play your first month free
    After that you have the option to purchase further months by credit card or by cards purchased in-store

Credits cards arent needed at all tbh.:rolleyes:

humanji wrote:
    Looks like I don't have a choice. :)

Good stuff, anyone else willing to make the switch ?

• Advertisement

SeantheMan wrote:
    No ;)

You DONT need a credit card in any shape of form to play
    You reigster and you get to play your first month free
    After that you have the option to purchase further months by credit card or by cards purchased in-store

Credits cards arent needed at all tbh.:rolleyes:

You sure you get a month free ? I didnt see anything about that. Im pretty sure I was charged for month 1. I got a 7 day friend code though.

The collectors edition came with 45 days free.... but they were all sold out on Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Iktomi

Well you can add another name to the growing list of players.

I hear there's a good chinese delivery service is on Snowbourn which is swaying me that way.

I thought you signed up with a credit card and get one month free after. When I signed up I wasn't given any other method of paying, I think.

Iktomi wrote:
    Well you can add another name to the growing list of players.

I hear there's a good chinese delivery service is on Snowbourn which is swaying me that way.

Theres more of us on Elrond at the moment, why not join us ?

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

As Snowbourne was one of the pre-order servers, I think a lot of the peeps on that server, have got toons at anywhere from lvl20-30. Makes it less easy to switch really or at least in my case.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'm thinking i might start playing this as well. Vanguard hasnt hooked me as well as i had hoped it would. Im now officially over Warcarft as well, so that leaves me with just Eve. Will pick it up in the shops over the next few days, and give it a go.

Tusky wrote:
    You sure you get a month free ? I didnt see anything about that. Im pretty sure I was charged for month 1. I got a 7 day friend code though.

Well tbh lads the way i did it was

Reg'd with that codemasters thing
    Keep in mind here..i dont HAVE A credit card :p ..and didn't have my ol'fellas on me at the time :D
    After i reg'd i got brought to a payment screen
    There if i can remmeber rightly, i was given the option of credit card (paypal etc) or game card
    I cheked both out to see how theyd work
    Then i tried settin up an account to pay...but it said i already had one :eek: ..which i presume was created when i first signed up :p
    Then on the right it has expiry date ( the date till i could play) and that was some time in may :)

And ..i never entered my 7 day trial key
    I only used the activation code given to me with the game
    So....im not sure :p

Ill check the expiry date when i get home :rolleyes:

It may be that i only got 7 days, or the whole month..unsure..will post result later :o

Kiith wrote:
    I'm thinking i might start playing this as well. Vanguard hasnt hooked me as well as i had hoped it would. Im now officially over Warcarft as well, so that leaves me with just Eve. Will pick it up in the shops over the next few days, and give it a go.

Make sure to start your character in Elrand :D

SeantheMan wrote:
    Make sure to start your character in Elrand :D
    Yes... and not Elrond like Tusky keeps saying... that's a special sever that only Tusky can access apparently...

• Advertisement

So what about a name then? Are we to go with something like Knights of Eru and it's ilk, taken from the books (and words like Knights and the such put in front of it) or is someone smart enough to come up with some sort of pun involving Boards, that sounds vaguely Tolkienesque? Or go over the top with something completely irrelevant to the books, but with Boards in it (like Boards Cowboys, Superfriends Of Boards)?

Also, who's going to set up the Kinship? I've to start again tonight (assuming the servers are up) so I won't have any money for a while. And bear in mind who ever starts it gets the fancy title of Founder!!!

The Esoteric Order of Jaguar Ataricus?

"Ridire Na Clar"
    Knights of the Boards ?:eek:
    or

"Ridire na hEireann"

Knights of Ireland/The Irish Knights :D

Picked it up there at lunch, I have a cc put prefer not to use it as a method of payment, I have online trust issues :D

I like the above. But I also like "Tolkienesque"

anyway see you in elron......I mean elrand in a couple of hours.

On a side note I can 100% confirm that the first 30 days are free, its says so on the back of the box I have and it's not the collectors edition.

Also if anyone is kind enough to give me a run down of the classes and how each compares to the wow class in comparision I would be utterly greatful.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Im lvl 20 Hunter on Snowbourn yas feckers.
    Got 4 other alts there too :(
    Ill roll a char wherever yas are.

Well ive had time to play more since i said i was cancelling wow,im holding off cancelling wow for now tbh.
    End game content just isnt there in lotro YET.
    Im sure it will be but for now its way behind wow in this respect.
    Ive spoke to a few of my wow guildies who have maxxed out chars in lotro and they are very disapointed with end game content so far and saying the lotro world is only about the size of one continent in wow.
    They also say once they hit lvl 50 they cant find much to do except play monster mode which they enjoy but the problem is not many are playing monster mode as most are still levelling up characters.

Turbine have always said on release the game will be just stage 1,i know they are bring out another area of middle earth in September and i assume many more after that.

WOW as many wow players will testify has great content when you max out chars.
    Lets hope lotro does so too and soon.

Looks like ill be subscribing to both lotro and wow :)

But Cully, im sure most ppl lke myself dont dedicate our lives to levelling up and playing.

Thats not a slur on your mates..but how many hours are they puttin in ?? id guess at 40 a week

But i mean,say i play about 90mins a night,well half that might be chatting to ppl or banging away at my lute.

Im not tryin to rush through the game or anything, so it could at least be month or two before i even hit lvl 50 :p:p

And as you say, its still in its early stages

But im enjoying it atm :rolleyes:

Yes... and not Elrond like Tusky keeps saying... that's a special sever that only Tusky can access apparently...

Yes, its a lonely server. :(

If anyone has any suggestions for a name, post them in this thread and I'll put a poll up over the next couple of days. Ideally, I think we would want something boards.ie-ish/tolkienesque but that might be a bit difficult so maybe something Irish/tolkienesque will do.

I would agree with Seantheman by the way. Its their own fault for getting to lvl 50 within a couple of weeks of the game going live...thats some serious playtime. MMORPGs are always a little light on end game playtime at launch. Look at the difference between DAOC at laugh and what it is now.

I remember with wow it was a good 8months or so till something new was added after mc/onyxia lair not to mention they only brough out battlegrounds after about a year, and then CSBG a year later.

I'm sure in 8 months time the lorto content will be up to its predecessor.

• Advertisement

Tolkinesque/Elvish always sounded similar to Irish to me :rolleyes:
    When we get a few names down , for the kinship first of all :p then we can have a poll for the name.

Advertisement