Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Salthill Airshow 2007, June 24th, 3PM

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Archytas

Davidth88 wrote:
    How are the poor people on the ground ?
    They were discharged yesterday. They weren't ina serious condition anyway.
    Davidth88 wrote:
    I am amused by the reviews of the TBirds , go back to the thread about them coming , I said then I thought they were great flyers but lacked ' passion/imagination ' seems others agree.

I wouldn't agree with this - They put on a great display. It was pretty perfect - the cloud ceiling was a bit low when they were planning the display so they put on a lower display - I thought it was excellent though. The way they came in over the town from behind and pretty much split right over head? It didn't have the excitement of the Typhoon cause that bird was the first fast jet and got everyone attention. There was alot of rain before the thunderbirds arrived so everyone was a bit down but If there was better weather, and the the commentator was better, it would have been unbelievable - as it was it was still great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Punchy07

Regarding the decision on whether or not to go through with the show next year,what would you say the chances are of it getting the go ahead?is it 50-50 at this stage??

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭electric69

surely its too early to call yet.they have 11months and 26 days of funding to get before they can make that decision!?

More advertising needs to be done - and more merchandise! Umbrellas would have been a killer seller that day. Try and get a better range of t-shirts etc. merchandise merchandise merchandise! I bought two programmes and 1 t-shirt. But i would have bought more!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Fantastic Day, The Airshow is one of the hightlights on the Galway event calender, even the weather couldn't dampen spirits. I was particulary impresssed with the Blades.
    Looking forward to next year,:cool:
    Amusing to see the usual suspects protesting, heard there were only 200 or so at the protest. 80,000 in Salthill alone for the Air Show, no contest,:D

• Advertisement

Why not charge for the airshow itself?I mean lets say something small 5 euro x 100,000 people.I dont think a fiver would turn anyone away,Irish people are screaming out for events like this,and regardless of the negative criticism from the protesters and now over the Merlin,you guys have 80,000 people who want to see this airshow succeed and get bigger and would gladly pay to see it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

We pride ourselves on being FREE gents! Dont worry its too early to call out for 08 but as always i will be the first to let you know, that is of course if i beat my dad to the net before he goes on the Air or im working but i will keep you posted! And i heard there were only about 40 or so protestors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

Steyr wrote:
    Yes thats true its down to financial issues. go to www.salthillairshow.com if you think you can help.

I thought the economic arguements were your main point against say the anti-military protestors but then you say its not making money?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

AAIU prelim. report on the Merlin incident ...........

http://www.aaiu.ie/AAIUviewitem.asp?id=9408&lang=ENG&loc=1652

I thought the economic arguements were your main point against say the anti-military protestors but then you say its not making money?

I'm confused by this comment - The airshow is non-profit but it still has to make money to make it feasible - Insurance costs, setup, displays, etc.

As for the economic benefits of this type of display, well they are obvious?? The shops, pubs, hotels were all packed with people. Spar probably had its best day ever. Everybody benefits from this sort of thing. Even the Mayor of Galway was jumping from one side of the fence to another - "Oh this is great for galway - galway has a lot to offer" to standing around with the other 50 protestors looking pretty wet and ridiculous - They even gave up after while. Pathetic.

• Advertisement

Steyr wrote:
    We pride ourselves on being FREE gents! Dont worry its too early to call out for 08 but as always i will be the first to let you know, that is of course if i beat my dad to the net before he goes on the Air or im working but i will keep you posted! And i heard there were only about 40 or so protestors.

Damn it we demand to be charged!!!!Just take our money!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

I think it's bad form the Salthill business sector do not club together to give sponsership. Their takings must go up 3 million % that weekend.

Archytas wrote:
    I'm confused by this comment - The airshow is non-profit but it still has to make money to make it feasible - Insurance costs, setup, displays, etc.

As for the economic benefits of this type of display, well they are obvious?? The shops, pubs, hotels were all packed with people. Spar probably had its best day ever. Everybody benefits from this sort of thing. Even the Mayor of Galway was jumping from one side of the fence to another - "Oh this is great for galway - galway has a lot to offer" to standing around with the other 50 protestors looking pretty wet and ridiculous - They even gave up after while. Pathetic.

Well said.

Archytas wrote:

well i didn't realise the airshow was fully non-profit?( or do you make some profit to pay for next years?)

but what you said is what I was saying, I was going to say that there must be some business' making huge money over the weekend beyond any summer bonus and you should go directly to them to share their airshow related profit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Deacon Blues

Yes, the new Labour Mayor of Galway wearing his chains of office while attending a small demo against a massive (approx €1,000,000 extra spent in the area over the weekend) financial boost for the city he's supposed to represent makes me _very_ glad we don't have Labour in govenment now. Could you imagine what they'd do to a sensitive national economy when they have that contempt for a regional one.

He's quite entitled to attend whatever event, protest or demo he wants to in a private capacity. But wearing the chains and attending in an official capacity should not be personal, but representitive of your constituancy, and I think the community in Galway over-whelmingly supported the show.

I had wondered how much it costs to stage the show. It's free, but yet there has to be considerable costs involved. I'm presuming that the organisers do hot get paid by the show (don't have a problem if they do either), but there must be alot of expenses which it would be reasonable for them to get reimbursed for. Then there're the other costs such as insurance and Garda support ... as far as I know, for large events such as this (or concerts, matches in Croke Park and such), most of the Gardai will be brought in on overtime, and the event organisers must pay for this. That can't be cheap. The council may want to be reimbursed for the cleanup after the show. Not sure if all these rules apply to free events, but I would think they do. Hopefully the Galway and Salthill business community would step up and help out, as they are the main financial beneficiaries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 modalcommand

The whole thing should be completely supported by the govt. given the fact they don't have any kind of jets in this country. The people deserve a bit of decent noise at least once a year and its clearly good for the local economy of Galway.

I'm sure all these other arts festivals etc. get plenty of cash in comparison to their operation costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

daveg wrote:
    I think it's bad form the Salthill business sector do not club together to give sponsership. Their takings must go up 3 million % that weekend.

I agree. Judging from what I saw at the weekend, the local shops, hotels and other businesses must be making an absolute killing every year over the airshow weekend and I think it's disgraceful they don't pay back some of that enormous extra profit they make to the airshow organisers. I can't see why the local businesses can't put together an "airshow fund" or something similar and all chip in a few bob in some way because, if it wasn't for the airshow, they probably wouldn't have such a busy and profitable weekend every year as they currently do.

And why don't some of the bigger local businesses also perhaps sponsor some of the displays? For example, based on last weekend's show, something along the lines of "The Thunderbirds - presented by Supermacs" or "The Blades - brought to you in association with The Galway Bay Hotel", you get the idea. Getting the names of their businesses mentioned with the acts certainly can't harm their stature.

As they say, it's all about giving something back and I think it's high time local Galway business gave something back to the airshow organisers.

We dont make one single cent, all the money goes to insurance etc etc and whats left over ( very little ) is kept for the year after, my Father does it for his ( and ours and yours im sure ) love of Aviation!

suggest the business that make loads of money but don't sponsor?

Steyr,how much are those dvds of the airshow going for?

• Advertisement
Advertisement