Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Salthill Airshow 2007, June 24th, 3PM

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Deacon Blues

Looks like somebody pulled the jettison handle on the rescue hatch on the Merlin when it was on the ground. I've photos of it landing, and the jettison handle on the door is in the up (locked) position. I've also got photos of it departing, about two seconds before the hatch fell off, and the jettison handle is in the down position.

Hope this doesn't cause problems with PL insurance etc. for future shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Back from the show about an hour. Extremely disappointed that the F15's didn't show up but I guess the reason why was either weather or timing related so i suppose it probably couldn't be helped. Shame the Air Corps Pilatus' (Pilati? :confused::D ) and the Dutch SAR chopper weren't able to make it either. Holy hell but the weather was crazy, though, wasn't it? Four seasons in one day, it seeemed like, and I got bloody drenched! :(

The incident at the end with the door falling off the Merlin was damn scary. Good to hear on the news on the radio on the way home that it appears the injured weren't too seriously hurt. Thank God for that because it could have been a whole lot worse.

Will this incident have any effect on future Salthill airshows, though, I wonder? I hope this doesn't lead to calls for the airshow to be cancelled completely or anything like that. Though, I bet there's going to be some anti-aircraft/airshow/military display-type people who'll be screaming for it, you can be sure! There usually is after incidents like this, don't you know? Any excuse for them at all! :rolleyes:

Highlight of the day for me: the Typhoon. Damn that thing is noisy and a seriously shít-hot piece of hardware! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Archytas

When I was inside the merlin with the crew, there were kids running around all over the place and pulling at cables and stuff. The crew couldn't control them and the parents were nowhere to be found. Its a damn shame that a great show was given a bad name by one event at the end.

As for the flyin over the crowd stuff - where else could he go? The static display was in an area (excellent access - great view of the choppers and ability to get at them) that he had to fly over the road to get to the bay. Its the same with any airshow - aircraft have to travel over the crowd etc. It was a freak accident mixed with a good bit ignorance of where children, etc. were by parents. Maybe a preflight check wasn't completed correctly or something but its not something that needs to be blown all out of control and context.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,153 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Back from the show about an hour. Extremely disappointed that the F15's didn't show up but I guess the reason why was either weather or timing related so i suppose it probably couldn't be helped. Shame the Air Corps Pilatus' (Pilati? :confused::D ) and the Dutch SAR chopper weren't able to make it either. Holy hell but the weather was crazy, though, wasn't it? Four seasons in one day, it seeemed like, and I got bloody drenched! :(

The incident at the end with the door falling off the Merlin was damn scary. Good to hear on the news on the radio on the way home that it appears the injured weren't too seriously hurt. Thank God for that because it could have been a whole lot worse.

Will this incident have any effect on future Salthill airshows, though, I wonder? I hope this doesn't lead to calls for the airshow to be cancelled completely or anything like that. Though, I bet there's going to be some anti-aircraft/airshow/military display-type people who'll be screaming for it, you can be sure! There usually is after incidents like this, don't you know? Any excuse for them at all! :rolleyes:

Highlight of the day for me: the Typhoon. Damn that thing is noisy and a seriously shít-hot piece of hardware! :D

Well what it will probably mean is that will be no static displays next time.
    It may have been down to some kid screwing with the emerganecy release while it was parked up.
    I bet today you will have all the ould biddies phoning Joe Duffy complaining their kids could have been killed and such.

I know of one airfield that is in trouble because some ould wan got on the radio complaining that someone, who shall remain nameless here, was doing aerobatics over the airfield, that was two miles from her house. As if the pilot was going to go over her house, to do a kamikaze and kill her precious little gits.
    Then the Co Council get hot and heavy and pull the license/permission to operate.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭electric69

The problem with the door should have been found in the pre flight. Those guys are going to get a serious kick up the ass.
    At the last static show i was at one of the WW2 nazi planes went up in flames on the ground! wasnt exactly the best way of inspiring confidence in those who wanted to fly!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Archytas wrote:
    As for the flyin over the crowd stuff - where else could he go?

The choppers should probably remain static until after the airshow. I remember thinking a few years ago when Salthill had the 2 Chinooks if anything was to happen when they took off there would be serious carnage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

anyone upload any photos yet? sounds like it was a great day except for the merlin door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Deacon Blues

It was a fantastic day, despite the weather. The highlight of the show for me was the Typhoon, and the Blades were incredible. My initial reaction to the Thunderbirds was that I was a little disappointed, because the display was a bit flat, but the coordination was great, and there was always something happening along the display line, either with the group of four or the solos.

There are some photos of the door falling in this thread (post #65) http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=53480485&postcount=65

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭ryanmatty

Archytas wrote:

As for the flyin over the crowd stuff - where else could he go? The static display was in an area (excellent access - great view of the choppers and ability to get at them) that he had to fly over the road to get to the bay. Its the same with any airshow - aircraft have to travel over the crowd etc. It was a freak accident mixed with a good bit ignorance of where children, etc. were by parents. Maybe a preflight check wasn't completed correctly or something but its not something that needs to be blown all out of control and context.

No its not the same with any airshow. static display never take off over the crowd at air spec, abbeyshrule, farnborough, paris to name just a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭electric69

ryanmatty wrote:
    No its not the same with any airshow. static display never take off over the crowd at air spec, abbeyshrule, farnborough, paris to name just a few.

I was at a static display about 5weeks ago and i took off over ppl and ships.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Sorry about the F-15E's but they went "Tech" at home in LN and so did the IAC PC9M and the RNLAF AB412 had a Gearbox failure. I hope you enjoyed the day?

Great day David. Except the weather... but nothing you could do about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 LiamDuff

Great show despite the weird weather we had. Well done to all involved. The whole 3 hours of practice on Friday gave the city a really cool aviation buzz all weekend which was probably the best thing about it. One thing I would like to see more of is speed. I don't think any jet got up too fast on Sunday.
    The best feeling is when you see this dot of a jet looping around over Oranmore, turning towards the bay and just gunning it and hitting 600mph along the prom, turning. High speed passes are what its about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Pataman

Please tell me you are already planning next years show. The first lad you book is the typhoon....awesome. Bril show, can you organise better weather for next year please :D

Pataman wrote:
    Please tell me you are already planning next years show.

I've been to the show every year since the Spanish airforce's Mirage in 1996. This will be my last one for a while though as we emegrate to Australia in December :( ... I mean :)

Hopefully they airshows in Melbourne.

LiamDuff wrote:
    The best feeling is when you see this dot of a jet looping around over Oranmore, turning towards the bay and just gunning it and hitting 600mph along the prom, turning. High speed passes are what its about.

lol my wife turned to me at the airshow and said is that a fast jet pointing to a dot to the left of the prom. Not sure I said squinting my eyes. Then I saw the smoke from the afterburner. Just had time to warn my son to cover his ears.

Pataman wrote:
    Please tell me you are already planning next years show. The first lad you book is the typhoon....awesome.

Definitely! And, if you could get them back at all, the Red Arrows as well.

The Thunderbirds were okay but I think the likes of the Red Arrows put on a much more impressive display. Personally, I thought The Blades put on a better aerobatic display yesterday than the Thunderbirds, which says a lot about the Red Arrows and their training and everything seeing as some (if not all, perhaps? :confused: I'm not sure but I'm sure Steyr will be able to tell us) of The Blades' pilots are ex-Red Arrows. It definitely showed with the quality of their display, that's for sure.
    Steyr wrote:
    Sorry about the F-15E's but they went "Tech" at home in LN and so did the IAC PC9M and the RNLAF AB412 had a Gearbox failure. I hope you enjoyed the day?

Apart from the crazy weather and the accident at the end with the Merlin's door, yeah, I enjoyed it a lot. No need to apologise about the no-shows, Steyr, obviously couldn't be helped from the sounds of things. As I said in an earlier post, do you think yesterday's Merlin incident will have any bearing on future shows? Or is it too early to know yet?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The Frecce Tricolori would be nice , very very nice , and they perform regularly over water unlike some others.

http://www.robert-stetter.de/Airpower2005/pics/DSC_6083_2_Frecce_Tricolori.jpg

I saw them v the Red arrows at Fairford about 10 years ago. The Frecce beat the Red Arrows at home that day .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 LiamDuff

The real debate about the show though,
    Which was the cheesiest commentator? The enthusiastic Blades guy or the Thunderbirds man with his Irish spiel and trance musicl?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Punchy07

Great day,The Blades were brilliant,they improved the atmosphere so much,the weather was bringing many people down but a spell of good weather and the arrival of the blades changed all that.Felt bad for the Merlin crew leaving in such a negative way,because to be fair to the guys they came out early sunday morning to entertain the early risers,and i must say the put on a good show and were very proffesional in the way the handled their aircraft,as for the Thunderbirds,it just seemed to be the same stunt over and over again with a different name but great nonetheless,bad weather and a door wont be turning me off next year,i'll book the hotel soon:D

• Advertisement

LiamDuff wrote:
    The real debate about the show though,
    Which was the cheesiest commentator? The enthusiastic Blades guy or the Thunderbirds man with his Irish spiel and trance musicl?

What was The Blades' commentator's name? Barry Scott? ;) Because he certainly sounded like him, shouting into the mic as he was! :D

I couldn't make out what the Thunderbirds' commentator was saying so I can't comment on that. Seemed like a really poor sound system they had going. As for the music he was playing....... some one needs to tell him Robbie Williams et al at an airshow really, REALLY doesn't work! :rolleyes: And what the hell was with that weird trancy-style music he had going for about 10 minutes before the Thunderbirds arrived? Was it supposed to help build the tension or what? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Didnt the AB412 have problems last year/the year before and not appear?

Didnt the AB412 have problems last year/the year before and not appear?

Correct thats why we told them we wont invite them again to be honest its too much hassle for no shows. Its too early to talk about next year i think its best to let it lie for a bit. Im happy you enjoyed the day guys it means alot to get the positive feedback from everybody, Thanks to you all, we appreciate it so much thank you. And yes the Blades guys are EX Red Arrows, i thought their commentator lightened the Atmosphere with the weather we were having!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Punchy07

Ya I thought so too,the guy is just passionate about planes:D and regarding the positive feedback,I cant give you guys enough of it,I went up the last four years and have always been dissapointed watching the last plane fly away knowing I have to wait another year to experience it all again,I was disgusted to see the chopper incident on the front pages,when it shoud have been a picture of the Typhoon during its routine,alot more good comes from the airshow then bad-credit to the examiner for having a pic of The Blades on their front page,also was anyone reading the tabloids,1 paper said the door fell 500 ft!!!!!!WHAT?????Talk about exaggerating!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,422 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Steyr wrote:
    Correct thats why we told them we wont invite them again to be honest its too much hassle for no shows. Its too early to talk about next year i think its best to let it lie for a bit. Im happy you enjoyed the day guys it means alot to get the positive feedback from everybody, Thanks to you all, we appreciate it so much thank you. And yes the Blades guys are EX Red Arrows, i thought their commentator lightened the Atmosphere with the weather we were having!

Yep..thought the Blade's commentator was excellent..especially when he was letting you know what was going to happen next so you could get a pic of it..
    Was dissapointed with the thunderbirds as couldn't hear the commentator which made is a lot harder to line up pics..plus the weather didn't help them either..all in all a great airshow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Dave, just wanted to drop a line to pass on a 'Well Done' to all who had anything to do with the show.

Thanks guys a very heartfelt thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,422 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Was reading yesterday in the paper that a decision will be made on whether to hold next year's one. Is this true? The Star was saying it was down to financial issues..one thing I noticed was that the announcer was saying if ppl could donate it would be appreciated..however I didn't see anyone actually collecting for the airshow..perhaps they could be kitted out in visi-vests or something similiar so they stand out and ppl could donate..or maybe have little collection points along the beach so as ppl walked past they could donate...I'm sure most ppl would donate as it's a great day out for the family.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Lets hope this continues ...I wasn't there but organising such an event deserves huge praise.

I hope that helecopter crew got a roasting , smacks of poor airmanship. I was really upset for all the people that did so much work when I saw the front 3 pages of the Indo on Monday ......

How are the poor people on the ground ?

I am amused by the reviews of the TBirds , go back to the thread about them coming , I said then I thought they were great flyers but lacked ' passion/imagination ' seems others agree.

WELL DONE TO ALL INVOLVED ..... I hope this gave the Galway region a much needed boost

• Advertisement

Was reading yesterday in the paper that a decision will be made on whether to hold next year's one. Is this true?

Yes thats true its down to financial issues. go to www.salthillairshow.com if you think you can help.

Advertisement