Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaisce Award

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 tareisoir

Well done,

That's great to hear. This year the awards are in Dublin Castle on Friday the 7th of March - check the papers on the next day for photos.

If you want to get involved with TEO, have a look at our bebo page. We welcome gold participants as well as Gold Award holders.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Design_Dude

hmm, might not be finished by 7th march..

Link for ur bebo?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,411 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Troller!!!

?

I was talking about tareisoir...Only posts ever in this forum so you will go on their site

• Advertisement

well he only has 3 posts so hes hardly been doing in that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Actually, a troll is (generally speaking) someone who posts something provocative/irrelevant in order to get a rise out of people. Sort of like what callaway92 did...
    callaway92 wrote:
    It is stupid...which is why i didnt do it myself,,,The losers in my class did it tho..I myself dont want to waste my time away from school doing that crap

What this person is doing could be construed as advertising, and it's up to the moderator of the board to decide if it's acceptable or not. To me, it just looks like they're trying to help, and are quite relevant to the topic.

Righteo Joe...I was just giving my opinion on Gaisce Meself :D

Hey, only joined this forum today! Not advertising, but reckon Gaisce is fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

callaway92 wrote: »
    It is stupid...which is why i didnt do it myself,,,The losers in my class did it tho..I myself dont want to waste my time away from school doing that crap
    IMO, it's for people who feel they haven't really accomplished anything so far in their lives and want to prove something to themselves. I'd covered all the categories, apart helping the community I think over the last while anyway and I really couldn't see any benefit doing it, waste of time. Despite looking good on your CV, the gaisce award is not going to get you employed either.

• Advertisement

Well, everybody is entitled to their opinion. :)

Interestingly, quite a few people from Bray have earned the Gold Award over the years.

The community section is possibly one of the hardest, requiring a significant period of time spent serving the community. For gold, it is a weekly commitment for a year. A challenge like that is clearly not for everybody, though anybody can attain it with a little effort.

Incidentally, a number of awardees have succesfully attended job interviews which involved discussing the award at length!

Have no intention of trying to change opinions that some may have, but will correct incorrect information! The challenge has been made by the President of Ireland to the young people of Ireland to take up or not, as they choose.

A number of participants are individuals that are already involved in some form of community service. With a little extra effort they can get significant recognition from the state, while at the same time meeting new people, trying new things and discovering things about themselves while pushing their own limits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Niamh-17

I completed the Bronze award in TY last year.

Skill - Drama Lessons
    Physical - Tennis
    Community - Volunteered in Mrs. Quinns charity shop
    Adventure - Went to Delphi Adventure Centre with my year

This year im doing the silver award...

Skill - Joined my local Choral Society and we are putting on a musical
    Physical - Dance
    Community - Volunteering in Nursing Home
    Adventure - Not sure yet, think we are going on a cycling trip

The gaisce is great to have on your cv and its not that hard!

It wont do anything on your C.V thats a fact...All they look at are your past jobs and references..god

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Niamh-17

Its still no harm to have it as an achievement

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭Richie15

callaway92 wrote: »
    It wont do anything on your C.V thats a fact...All they look at are your past jobs and references..god
    All work and no play makes callaway92 a dull boy.:rolleyes:

Good man richie,,,you pull a good joke

• Registered Users Posts: 28 HaloThere

Conor108 wrote: »
    So who's up for giving me ideas for the community and skill requirements? Ive got venture and physical nailed:D

For community I trainined an u8 football team for 13 weeks
    For skill you can do something like learning to cook for 13 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 28 HaloThere

Richie15 wrote: »
    All work and no play makes callaway92 a dull boy.:rolleyes:

It looks excellent on your Cv. My employer was very impressed by it as it shows commitment. And I have only done bronze!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

HaloThere wrote: »
    It looks excellent on your Cv. My employer was very impressed by it as it shows commitment. And I have only done bronze!!

Congratulations and well done on your achievement - the best of luck with your silver and gold.

As has been mentioned earlier the Gold Award Holders Association - Tar Eis Oir exists and has a bebo page at http://tareisoir.bebo.com where you can ask questions etc about the award. We also facilitate different parts of the award, which is particularly relevant if you go off and do the silver and gold - often if you are on your own it can be quite difficult to go and do an expedition or the new residential section. This year tar eis oir is running two different expeditions - one to the Czech Republic and Romania held with the Czech Award organisation and another one is a survival training event held in Slovenia with their Award. It's similar to the Gaisce Army Survival weekend but is pitched at a more challenging level. We're running this on an entirely voluntary basis because the people involved have got something out of it and want to give something back. Whilst both expeditions are fully booked up, there will be other events in the near future.

Regarding the point that Richie made earlier about the award doing nothing on a CV - Ireland does not have an "honours" system. It does not award knighthoods, orders of honour etc. The Gaisce Gold Award is the highest award conferred by the Irish State handed to you by the President herself. If an employer thinks this isn't significant then I can't say what is - in order to get the gold award you actively have to improve your own life and that of the community around you. In this day and age isn't that worth something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

spent 2 nights in the burren! what a trip

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭Richie15

neilled wrote: »
    Regarding the point that Richie made earlier about the award doing nothing on a CV...
    That wasn't my point, I was quoting callaway92.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 adidas speed

does every school do it for t.y?

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭monaghanmissus

just finished my silver award!

Gaisce is a great experience and we've had some unforgettable laughs what with people falling in bog holes and sack races in sleeping bags :p

Would reccomend it to anyone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 xxlazydogxx

what if your doing it when you have finished in school and dont have a PAL????

and also can anyone tell me if u can go on the adventure trip on two seperate nights? like for example going to glendalough for one night in september and then another in like may????:confused::(:(:(:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

what if your doing it when you have finished in school and dont have a PAL????

and also can anyone tell me if u can go on the adventure trip on two seperate nights? like for example going to glendalough for one night in september and then another in like may????:confused::(:(:(:confused:

Zombie thread . . .bump!!!

I dont think you can do it without a leader, most colleges have groups that do it, and i think other clubs and stuff do it.

I know that you definately can't do it over 2 different nights, they have to be together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭coldwood92

does every school do it for t.y?
    most schools do it I think

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭xilovejedwardx

omg did a 25 km mountain walk in wicklow!! was terrible...worst ty trip!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭coffeelover

Hi.

I'm in 5th year and my teacher wants us to take part in gaisce. I'm just wondering is it useful or is it just a waste of time? For personal skill i would probably play an instrument and for physical i'd probably cycle. But i'm stuck on what to do for community involvement? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Hi.

I'm in 5th year and my teacher wants us to take part in gaisce. I'm just wondering is it useful or is it just a waste of time? For personal skill i would probably play an instrument and for physical i'd probably cycle. But i'm stuck on what to do for community involvement? :confused:
    It's meant to look good on a CV I've heard.

I'm doing it. We have FastFriends (an initiative in TY working with kids our age with special need) which covers the communnity service, ECDL which covers the skill (it is long enough to cover the 13 additional weeks of one of the above as well), our Achill trip in May covers the trip so we only have to do the sport outside school.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭coffeelover

Jackobyte wrote: »
    It's meant to look good on a CV I've heard.

I'm doing it. We have FastFriends (an initiative in TY working with kids our age with special need) which covers the communnity service, ECDL which covers the skill (it is long enough to cover the 13 additional weeks of one of the above as well), our Achill trip in May covers the trip so we only have to do the sport outside school.

Ya i think i'll do it too. Just need to find a community involvement :rolleyes:

Advertisement