Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaisce Award

Options
  • 26-04-2007 10:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

So who is doing gaisce this year??
    Is anyone going anywhere exciting for their venture??
    I myself am going to glendalough!
    Has anyone kept a record of anything they have done?:rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

im going to kenmare for 2 nights !:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

We went to Glendalough too, just back today. Had about a 12km hike, camp overnight then 12km back. We're all dead now cos it was so hot. Bit of a disaster in the end though cos so many people got caught drinking!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 BomChika WowWah

haha!! Sounds lyk u had gud fun tho!!
    Thats bound to happen ;) Id say it will happen with us 2!!! :D

Yeah it was good fun alright! I'm hoping the teachers will just forget about what happened for the sake of those who got caught, because yeah, it's bound to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

i was gonna do it but the adventure bit was during our work exp so i wast really bothered

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭cork*girl

can someone explain what the trip is about? or can someone plz explain what gaisce is!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 originalcupcake

Gaisce is the President's Award...basically this award u get for being committed to areas of sport, community involvement and the likes over a long period of time, and earn a bronze, silver, or gold medal, starting with bronze and working upwards. u also do an adventure trip thing, which is overnightand arranged by the school.

its good laugh i did it during ty and the trip thing was sum laugh...we did the ballycotton 10 forwards and back..stayed over night tho, sum craic...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I think I'm gonna have to quit it cos I can't go on the hike this weekend. I don't really mind though, I hadn't gone out of my way to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 frenchman

same happened on our gaisce trip the other day! very funny though.. but the people who got caight are in bother now cos they got caught drinking and being drunk on a school trip before!!

frenchman wrote:
    same happened on our gaisce trip the other day! very funny though.. but the people who got caight are in bother now cos they got caught drinking and being drunk on a school trip before!!
    Yeah they ended up getting suspended for a day in my school!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

When do the logbooks have to be in by? Our teacher was collecting ours yesterday but I won't have access to mine until Saturday at least, because my youth theatre leader got distracted while signing it and took it to Cork with him!

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭Richie15

cork*girl wrote:
    can someone explain what the trip is about? or can someone plz explain what gaisce is!?
    http://gaisce.ie/

"...a challenge from the President of Ireland, to young people between 15 and 25 years of age."

You set yourself a series of challenges ofer a period of time ranging from about six months to over two years, depending on what level you're doing.

There's a section for community. Examples of tasks here are learning first aid, volunteering for a local charity, helping out in the church, anything that benefits your local community or the country (including joining the Civil Defence or Reserve Defence Forces).

Another section is sport, which is pretty much self-explanitory. Not only things like football and hurling, but also cycling, sailing, archery etc.

Then there's the skill, which can range from learning a language, to a musical instrument or even driving. Anything at all as long as it's not sport (that goes in the sport section, hense the name).

Finally you have to go on an overnight trip, known as the "Venture". This has specific requirements, such as distance to be covered, length of time etc. which vary depeending on your level. Gold participants should be trained in first-aid, map-reading and any other skills necessary (e.g. mountain climbing, horse riding). They should also organise the trip independantly and it is highly reccomended that it be overseas. Bronze participants must have adult supervision at all times.

At the end of it all you get a medal from the President of Ireland, aswell as the experience gained throughout.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

What's this about a logbook? Do the school give it to you? I'm gonna give in my form tomorrow and I think its a fiver for bronze right? We went on a walking Trip to Wicklow but I didn't keep a record of it. Mind you it was only last week so I can remember it clearly. Anyway, what did you guys do for the community and skill sections? Im thinking charity shop for community (Would do the reserves because that sounds cool but I'm 16 :() And what does the website mean by 'computers' as a skill? Do a course or something is it? Christ I could give a course:D

Conor108 wrote:
    What's this about a logbook? Do the school give it to you? I'm gonna give in my form tomorrow and I think its a fiver for bronze right? We went on a walking Trip to Wicklow but I didn't keep a record of it. Mind you it was only last week so I can remember it clearly. Anyway, what did you guys do for the community and skill sections? Im thinking charity shop for community (Would do the reserves because that sounds cool but I'm 16 :() And what does the website mean by 'computers' as a skill? Do a course or something is it? Christ I could give a course:D

The logbook is just the record you keep of it. I don't think you actually get one, you use a copy or whatever.

A computer course is a good skill to do, even if you're an expert, it's always good to have a piece of paper that says you're pretty good! :)

For your Venture section, do remember that it must be overnight (at least one night for bronze) and you have to include the planning and preperation in your logbook. Also, you must cover a certain distance. All this is explained in detail on www.p-award.net

We got our logbooks when we'd done everything we needed for the award. You just basically write in what you did, where you did it, then get it signed by the 'coach' or 'trainer' or whatever the hell they called it you did it with.

So who's up for giving me ideas for the community and skill requirements? Ive got venture and physical nailed:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 maycie

i've just signed up for my silver this year but i m still not sure what to do for it, but i no i want to try something new! does anyone have any advice or ideas?? i have my adventure and physical sorted but other than that im lost!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭jb91

Conor108 wrote: »
    So who's up for giving me ideas for the community and skill requirements? Ive got venture and physical nailed:D

Volunteer to help out with cubs, special olympics clubs etc. That's what most people I know are doing/have done.

No one in my school has even mentioned Gaisce yet...:confused:

Im helping out at school with some other for community. Im completely ost as to what to do for skill. Any ideas?? Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Im helping out at school with some other for community. Im completely ost as to what to do for skill. Any ideas?? Anyone?

musical instrument,
    computer hacking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Scoobydooo

Hi, im thinking of doing the Gaisce this year what are people doing for the community part of the award ??

Stuff in school like helping out with meetings etc.

Anyway, for the skill bit can you do computer class? Someone told me you could.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Do you mean give computer classes?

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭jimmyboy

Yea u can do th ECDL course

Do you mean give computer classes?

Nope, we have computer classes in school (ECDL and the like) so i heard you could just write that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭Hooly22

First Aid, Sign Lanuage, An instrument, There's loads of things you can do!

Nope, we have computer classes in school (ECDL and the like) so i heard you could just write that.

I finished my Gaisce last year, and also did ECDL during school.

I'm almost 100% sure, that if it's done during school time, and run by the school it doesn;t count. We weren't allowed count ECDL which was done during school time. Just a heads up.

Hooly22 wrote: »
    I'm almost 100% sure, that if it's done during school time, and run by the school it doesn't count.

That's right, it doesn't. The idea of the award is that it encourages young people to take the initiative and get out doing stuff in the real world, i.e. without a teacher standing over you.

However, if you've helped to organise the course in some way, it might count. As with all decision, you should discuss it wit your PAL anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,412 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

It is stupid...which is why i didnt do it myself,,,The losers in my class did it tho..I myself dont want to waste my time away from school doing that crap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 tareisoir

Hi all,

It is unfortunate that some people fail to see the value of Gaisce. It is an opportunity to develop yourself, learn new skills make new friends and have fun at the same time.

It looks great on your CV when you are going for a job or if you are looking for an apprenticeship, college abroad or even want to go into any of the uniformed services.

The Bronze is a great way to start towards the greatest challenge you can imagine. Gold award recipients have climbed some of the highest mountains on earth, sailed across oceans, worked in communities around the world and made a positive impact on the world - something not many people can claim to have done!

The earlier poster was correct - something you are doing for school does not count. However, if it is a course that is organised for the Gaisce participants, then it may be allowed. Your Presidents Award Leader will have been trained as to what is and is not acceptable.

Gaisce is on Bebo at tareisoir.bebo.com - the Gold Award Holders Association in Ireland.

The official website is www.gaisce.ie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Design_Dude

Im nearly finished my Gold, meetin herself later in the yr:)

Advertisement