Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

good fortune tellers cork

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 94 ✭✭tricialou

:) hi just wondering if anyone knows of any good fortune tellers in or around cork. really appreciate it as i have gone to a couple in the past and they have been useless!:) :)

hi i am also looking for a good but cheap fortune teller in cork.. i have heard of ruby in the city but there are no posts about her?
    Could any one recommend her or send me a number of someone else ?:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 94 ✭✭tricialou

Thanks but if anyone knows if shes any good or has numbers of someone else id be very grateful

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭newbee22

Veronica in Farrannree is fab- I'll PM you her number!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Jesus

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

gpf101 wrote: »
    Jesus

Have you a contact number?

• Advertisement

Paypal me €100 and I'll PM you...

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Vivara

If anyone here is vulnerable enough to seek out a medium and let what they say manipulate your life's choices, please, please watch this video:

Derren Brown is a British Psychological Illusionist who can do things better than these fraudulent mediums can, and he admits everything he does is fake.

But then again, there are still those who want to believe...

V.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Czaribald

Do you have a picture of that fortune teller?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭MrMojoRisin

tricialou wrote: »
    hi i am also looking for a good but cheap fortune teller in cork.. i have heard of ruby in the city but there are no posts about her?

A lot of smart arse replies on here, but nothing I wouldn't expect from people on here either, tbh...

I'd recommend Veronica in Blackpool (I think someone said she was in Farranree - not so, however), Peter Matthew, who reads from The Commons Inn (he's more of a medium than a fortune teller though), and Maria in Cobh.

Veronica and Maria read Tarot cards.

Veronica's and Peter Matthew's numbers are listed in this directory: http://www.paranormal.ie/directory.html

I'll PM Maria's number to you. It's up to yourself who you want to visit though.

Of course, there's the White Witch in Cobh as well but, tbh, she's only good for a laugh really. Extremely hit and miss in recent years, by all accounts. Still, she's a hell of a lot cheaper than most and is a nice, highly entertaining lady.

There's more info, reviews, etc, about readers over in the Psychics&Mediums sub-forum of the Paranormal forum. :)

A lot of smart arse replies on here, but nothing I wouldn't expect from people on here either, tbh...

I'd recommend Veronica in Blackpool (I think someone said she was in Farranree - not so, however), Peter Matthew, who reads from The Commons Inn (he's more of a medium than a fortune teller though), and Maria in Cobh.

Veronica's and Peter Matthew's numbers are listed in this directory: http://www.paranormal.ie/directory.html

I'll PM Maria's number to you. It's up to yourself who you want to visit though.

Of course, there's the White Witch in Cobh as well but, tbh, she's only good for a laugh really. Extremely hit and miss in recent years, by all accounts. Still, she's a hell of a lot cheaper than most and is a nice, highly entertaining lady.

There's more info, reviews, etc, about readers over in the Psychics&Mediums sub-forum of the Paranormal forum. :)

The replies are actually quite mild considering its complete and utter nonsense and it's conning people out of decent amounts of money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Feckin rational people... :pac:

tricialou wrote: »

It's not being smart arse, protecting people from throwing their money away on frauds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

from whom, Cork City forum posters?
    This thread is going nowhere good. Or anywhere at all now.

/edit - lol. I guess I won't be closing it afterall :)

gpf101 wrote: »
    The replies are actually quite mild considering its complete and utter nonsense and it's conning people out of decent amounts of money.

How many years did you spend actively (not passively, i.e. watching Derren Brown's shows, reading James Randi material, etc.) researching it all before reaching that conclusion?

SomeFool wrote: »
    Feckin rational people... :pac:

Obviously there's nothing wrong with rationality - it brings order to our lives - but even rationality can't explain everything.

I don't know if you've ever read Stephen Hawking's 'A Brief History Of Time', but he acknowledges in that book that there are happenings in the universe that are beyond our present human understanding. Rationality and logic have their limits, I'm afraid. Sorry to break it to you.

deRanged wrote: »
    from whom, Cork City forum posters?
    This thread is going nowhere good. Or anywhere at all now.

/edit - lol. I guess I won't be closing it afterall :)

Yeah. Well, any forum outside the Paranormal forum, tbh, where most people there are open to intelligent and respectful discussion of subjects like the possibility of an afterlife, parallel universes, etc.

It's boringly predictable how a topic like the one mentioned in the thread title that's posted somewhere outside the Paranormal forum is shot down like a bullet by people, accompanied by visceral anger and outright indignation. It's like people are personally offended by something that doesn't even affect them personally, which I find quite funny actually. A bit of detachment and maturity wouldn't go astray.

As for "protecting" vulnerable people from fortune tellers/psychics - well, if they're adults and of sound mind, it's their own responsibility to protect themselves and make cogent decisions based on the huge amount of information that's freely available to them.

People should be able to make their own choices without the 'assistance' of faceless, anonymous internet forum users with visible chips on their shoulders.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Isn't the term "Good Fortune Teller" an oxymoron? ;)

But heh, better you spend your hard earned money on this then drugs or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Vivara

How many years did you spend actively (not passively, i.e. watching Derren Brown's shows, reading James Randi material, etc.) researching it all before reaching that conclusion?

Enough to know that it's up to the person aiming to prove something remarkable to provide evidence to support the belief. I am certainly open to the idea.

But unfortunately, it's not possible to find any 'research' on this stuff as it's not even worth researching. There are of course the odd few universities who do so, but anything I've found seems to prove that they're all hoaxes.

Why don't you link us to studies or research you've found that prove the existence of the paranormal? Anything scientific? And if you have a problem with science, there's little point in arguing. Science has no secret issues with the paranormal. They're just rational people who like having evidence for things, like everything else in life. Why does the paranormal not need evidence like everything else?

I see warnings all the time about people's credit cards being exploited or for people to avoid internet scams. There's nothing odd about warning people — it's a nice thing to do — especially if people (and I know some) who have wasted a lot of their money on the paranormal and got little or nothing good out of it.

The whole "adults" and "of sound mind" thing is quite honestly one of the worst arguments I've ever heard. We warn adults of sound mind all the time about scams. And warning someone does not take away their choice or hamper their ability to still contact someone claiming to be psychic. Allowing people to see both sides of a coin is hardly unfair or wrong, and I doubt very much you think the same way about any other type of scam.

V.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭wispyman

People should be able to make their own choices without the 'assistance' of faceless, anonymous internet forum users with visible chips on their shoulders.

Thank god there is someone with a bit of respect posting. This thread has turned into a total troll-fest - this is sadly such a common sight in this forum. The original poster was only asking a simple question and like flies on crap the trolls descend. Have you all not got better things to do - actually I think I already know the answer to that :D

Vivara wrote: »
    Enough to know that it's up to the person aiming to prove something remarkable to provide evidence to support the belief. I am certainly open to the idea.

What type of field research have you done exactly? Was this done in your locality, nationally, or both?
    But unfortunately, it's not possible to find any 'research' on this stuff as it's not even worth researching.

What's most unfortunate is that you seem to be unaware of all the research that's at your very own fingertips. Obviously other people - including the U.S. and Russian governments - felt it was an area that was worth researching. But hey, what do they know compared to you?
    There are of course the odd few universities who do so, but anything I've found seems to prove that they're all hoaxes.

Are you referring to particular mediums/psychics (if so, who?) that have been 'proven' to be hoaxes, or are you referring to general psychic phenomena (again, please name the phenomenon/phenomena)? The Stanford Institute has produced a lot of credible research material on the paranormal in the past that's worth a look.

Why don't you link us to studies or research you've found that prove the existence of the paranormal? Anything scientific? And if you have a problem with science, there's little point in arguing. Science has no secret issues with the paranormal. They're just rational people who like having evidence for things, like everything else in life. Why does the paranormal not need evidence like everything else?

You want me to do your own damn homework, do you? The audacity of you. rolleyes.gif

Look, we've debated and argued this whole 'science Vs. the paranormal'/'Can you prove something paranormal?' argument for literally years over on the Paranormal forum and I certainly do not have any interest in trying to 'make you believe' for your own benefit.

My only interest is in trying to promote sensible open-mindedness and receptivity to, and respect for, new information about the area and for others' experiences and viewpoints. It certainly isn't my responsibility to prove anything to you.

I see warnings all the time about people's credit cards being exploited or for people to avoid internet scams. There's nothing odd about warning people — it's a nice thing to do — especially if people (and I know some) who have wasted a lot of their money on the paranormal and got little or nothing good out of it.

So have I, but that doesn't prompt me to embark on a moral crusade on a forum to 'warn' strangers. I'd expect them to have a bit of common sense about these things. If they don't, then fair enough.

The whole "adults" and "of sound mind" thing is quite honestly one of the worst arguments I've ever heard. We warn adults of sound mind all the time about scams. And warning someone does not take away their choice or hamper their ability to still contact someone claiming to be psychic.

Oh okay, so they aren't adults and they don't have sound minds? Right, okay then - good luck with you believing that.

Of course warning someone doesn't take away their choice - I never even suggested that. I think you vastly underestimate how informed some people are. You also have to accept that there are people out there who simply pay money to see these people for the laugh (maybe for a hen night, or what have you) and don't give a toss what cautionary words people say.

The Psychics&Mediums sub-forum of the Paranormal forum invites people who have actually had first-hand experiences with various psychics and mediums to post positive and/or negative feedback about them, as the case may be. Those are INFORMED WARNINGS, unlike the rhetoric from you, for instance, which isn't based on first-hand experience at all and, thus, is vaguely generalised and not particularly useful or original, even.
    Allowing people to see both sides of a coin is hardly unfair or wrong, and I doubt very much you think the same way about any other type of scam.

That's very presumptuous and arrogant of you. Doubt all you want - doubt seems to be a recurring theme in your post.

• Advertisement

wispyman wrote: »
    Thank god there is someone with a bit of respect posting. This thread has turned into a total troll-fest - this is sadly such a common sight in this forum. The original poster was only asking a simple question and like flies on crap the trolls descend. Have you all not got better things to do - actually I think I already know the answer to that :D

Yeah, that's what got my back up - a person posts a simple request for information about a fortune teller and a bunch of faceless people elbow in with their own personal opinions of how sh*te and fraudulent they think fortune telling is, instead of providing a useful answer to the original question.

Typical. Immature. Seemingly incapable of reading. Yawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,251 ✭✭✭✭looksee

There are endless schemes for taking money off people.

You go into a bar and spend €20 on drink, not difficult to do, the money is gone, you have enjoyed your evening (hopefully).

You go into town and buy some clothes, maybe spend 50 or €100, you might get loads of wear out of them and you might have wasted your money.

Someone rattles a tin at you in the street, you put in €2 and feel good about yourself.

You look at brochures and buy a new kitchen/car/conservatory, whatever. Probably there was nothing really wrong with the kitchen etc that you had, but it made you feel good to have a new one.

You buy a lottery ticket for the few minutes of dreaming before its drawn and you have lost.

Its your money, your choice about what you spend it on. Keeps the economy turning. Maybe fortune tellers are rubbish (maybe? :rolleyes:) but you get your hour or so of entertainment for your €20, they are offering a service, no one is forcing you to take it.

If someone comes onto a public site and posts about fortune tellers though, I don't see why other people can't express their scepticism, should everyone have to agree with the initial premise of any topic? If I come on and say 'does anyone have the phone number for Acme Conservatories' does that mean that no-one can come in and say 'oh I got a conservatory from them, it was rubbish'? What's the difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭wispyman

looksee wrote: »
    If someone comes onto a public site and posts about fortune tellers though, I don't see why other people can't express their scepticism, should everyone have to agree with the initial premise of any topic? If I come on and say 'does anyone have the phone number for Acme Conservatories' does that mean that no-one can come in and say 'oh I got a conservatory from them, it was rubbish'? What's the difference?

While you have a valid point, I would comment that the OP was only asking for a few suggestions of fortune tellers - they were not asking for a debate on the validity of the topic. Also if people were posting saying psychic x,y,z is a waste of time and not worth the money then I could understand it. At first the replies in this thread were reasonable - then suddenly it turned into a total display of disrespect for the OP. By the way I don't believe in fortune telling for one moment - but it is none of my business (or anyone elses) what other people spend their money on.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Obviously there's nothing wrong with rationality - it brings order to our lives - but even rationality can't explain everything.

I don't know if you've ever read Stephen Hawking's 'A Brief History Of Time', but he acknowledges in that book that there are happenings in the universe that are beyond our present human understanding. Rationality and logic have their limits, I'm afraid. Sorry to break it to you.

Be that as it may, I don't expect to find better answers from a self-employed soothsayer living in the west of Cork that claims to be able to see vaguely into the future because of an inexplicable sensitivity to things that haven't even come close to being widely accepted.

Nobody is claiming that Dawkins or Brown have all the answers, but the thing about them, is that they at least have enough respect for people to provide evidence to accompany their claims.

Why doesn't the OP just clink on the ad below?

loopers.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Since the OP was in 2007 maybe she can let us know if the predictions came true :rolleyes:

Regardless of how daft, fraudulent or impossible any of you may think all-things-paranormal are, I can guarantee you that people's interest in it won't wane any decade soon. Bitch about it all you want.

Better yet, go and vent your grievances about it all in the Skeptics Corner over in Paranormal. That's a more appropriate platform for your ire, given that the OP was only looking for the name of a fortune teller to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Regardless of how daft, fraudulent or impossible any of you may think all-things-paranormal are, I can guarantee you that people's interest in it won't wane any decade soon. Bitch about it all you want.

Better yet, go and vent your grievances about it all in the Skeptics Corner over in Paranormal. That's a more appropriate platform for your ire, given that the OP was only looking for the name of a fortune teller to begin with.

No, she was looking for a "good" fortune teller, and with that little qualifier I think people are more inclined to give their feelings on how fraudulent or self-deluded fortune tellers are.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 notahopetoday

:) hi just wondering if anyone knows of any good fortune tellers in or around cork. really appreciate it as i have gone to a couple in the past and they have been useless!:) :)[/QUO Hi i have been to three in cork Veronica Helen Barrett and Stephanie I found Stephanie and Veronica exellent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 notahopetoday

Try Stephanie from cobh found her great:eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement