Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning issues - post them here MOD WARNING post #1

Options
1106107108109110112»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Keep_Her_Lit

Planning permission for large steel shed

I’m looking to buy a rural property soon and would like to have a large shed on site for personal use (tinkering with cars, purely on a DIY basis). Ideally, it would have the height to allow installation of a garage lift. An example is shown below, with dimensions 47ft x 30ft x 14ft (14m x 9m x 4.3m, floor area 126m2), though I wouldn’t necessarily need it that long. 

What are my prospects of getting planning permission for such a structure? I woud be hoping to place this on a site of 0.5 to 1.0 acre. Would it help my chances if it was not visible from the public road and was not directly bordering any neighbouring residential site? 

Thanks for any feedback. 

• Subscribers Posts: 40,996 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

you have to show why you need something that size.

if you just "tinker" with cars youll need to show where the cars come from and where they go to. they will be suspicious of you doing commercial mechanical works for which you wont get permission. So youll need to prove why you need the space for personal use.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,821 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I wouldn't see a stand alone shed on any size of a site getting permission for personal / domestic use. It would possibly be more acceptable if built behind a house. The planners would consider this as commercial development and that gets real awkward then.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Keep_Her_Lit

Thanks for the replies on this, much appreciated. Sounds like I'd be better off keeping my eye out for a property that already has a decent sized shed or garage in situ. I've seen a few.

FWIW, when I said "tinkering with cars, purely on a DIY basis", that's exactly what I meant. I own a couple of older cars, not worth a whole lot, one of which is in need of restoration. I've worked on cars outdoors for years and I'm sick of getting rained on! It's a hobby that needs a bit of indoor space if you're going to do it with any level of comfort.

• Advertisement
Advertisement