Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "What's That Song" Thread [ PLEASE READ ]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

homerjk wrote:
    Bump!
    Anybody have a clue on this? I find myself tuning into this trash just to hear it!
    It sounds like it's from Riverdance, not the main song, but one of the other songs taken from the show.

Check the tracks here might be one of those

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

What's the name of the song from the Specsavers ad where the guy emerges from the ground and starts running through the forest to the girl. At the end they wake up on a boat and kiss.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

gucci wrote:
    dairygold omega 3 butter ad? where the kid does his dads sudoku puzzle.song is by a female artist,i think i recognise her voice but cant place it!

It sounds like Cerys Mathews from Catatonia but I don't know if it's her.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭homerjk

BaZmO* wrote:
    It sounds like it's from Riverdance, not the main song, but one of the other songs taken from the show.

Check the tracks here might be one of those

Thanks for the tip Bazmo, unfortunately after listening to all those samples, its not one of them. I contacted RTE by email but im not holding out any hope.

• Advertisement

homerjk wrote:
    Thanks for the tip Bazmo, unfortunately after listening to all those samples, its not one of them. I contacted RTE by email but im not holding out any hope.

I've heard that piece before. It's wrecking my head, but will probably come to me at 4am.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

spurious wrote:
    I've heard that piece before. It's wrecking my head, but will probably come to me at 4am.

Its 'Music for found harmonium' - Penguin Cafe Orchestra did a really popular version (took me ages to find out the name of the tune years ago) most of the middle part has been left out in that excerpt. -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Preludes-Airs-Yodels-Penguin-Primer/dp/B0000072UE/sr=8-3/qid=1168468969/ref=pd_ka_3/203-8852208-0921525?ie=UTF8&s=music
    With Penguin Café Orchestra, word about the group began to spread and later that year they toured abroad for the first time, visiting Holland and Germany. In early 1982, they went to Japan, a country which held a particular fascination for Simon Jeffes, not least because it was the home of Zen Buddhism, his religion of choice. After the tour ended he stayed on in Tokyo working with the composer Ryuichi Sakamoto, then went to the ancient city of Kyoto where serendipity intervened again to inspire one of his best known pieces. "Walking one evening I found a harmonium on top of other bits of scrap wood apparently discarded in the street. On contacting the owner who was indifferent to its future. I took possession." Music For A Found Harmonium was the outcome a few weeks later, since which time the tune has taken on a life of its own. Now a firm favourite in Celtic folk circles, it remains the Penguins' most convincing example of "imaginary folklore."

http://www.penguincafe.com/simon2.htm

Sharon Shannon did a version but lots of versions listed here:

http://www.thesession.org/tunes/display/346

If you like that check out the many versions of Libertango!

dub45 wrote:
    Its 'Music for found harmonium'

Gaaaah...thanking you.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭homerjk

dub45, you truly are a legend! as is this thread!
    thank you very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Joni

ok , o its bothered me for yrs. its a quiet enough song and well, it has this kinda flute loop in it. and its this scottish bloke talking over a typewriter sound? if anyone can help me or it even sounds familiar, holla!

• Advertisement

Joni wrote:
    ...holla!
    Ya see, it's saying stuff like that will make people not want to help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Joni

jeeez its a joke. whats with ppl on these boards? everyones so serious! cos i said "holla" ppl might not help me!!! oooooooh!!!

Joni wrote:
    ok , o its bothered me for yrs. its a quiet enough song and well, it has this kinda flute loop in it. and its this scottish bloke talking over a typewriter sound? if anyone can help me or it even sounds familiar, holla!

Some further clues might help.
    Was it a 'chart' type song? Are we talking 50 years old, 15 years, 5 years?
    Do you know any of the words the 'Scottish bloke' says?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

dvega wrote:
    Anyone know that song from the advert for the ispcc. the one where they are looking for sponsers for children been beatin.

If you mean that really, really upsetting NSPCC ad on British television which features images that are so harrowing, it's too difficult to watch and, no doubt, causes plenty of people to change the channel immediately, with the result that the NSPCC's message isn't getting through fully, then the piece of music you're looking for is This Woman's Work by Kate Bush. Incredible but heart-breaking song.

Now my question: Anyone know the song used in the recent RTE advertising campaign for its "premiere" of The Girl Next Door? Think it might be The Charlatans but not sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Okie

Joni wrote:

Hey. I think the tune you're thinking of is by a band called Looper and the song is called Impossible Things#2. I was looking for that song for ages aswell, hunted it down on the net, downloaded it, then two weeks later Tom Dunne added it onto one of his compilation CD's! Typical :rolleyes:

Actually, this link brings you to that very CD.
    http://www.todayfmstore.com/comersus/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=2053
    Track 17. CD 1. Great song by the way!

Anyway, hope this helps ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

I saw a song on TV a while ago, it was on Channel 4 on a saturday mornin - it was some band live at a festival. Lead singer had longish hair, sort of like Richard Ashcroft (wasnt him). Quite a sad song by the sounds of things, A couple of lyrics stick out, mainky 'I see it in your eyes...'. I also remember the words Corridor and Christmas Lights in it somewhere.

Archimedes wrote:
    I saw a song on TV a while ago, it was on Channel 4 on a saturday mornin - it was some band live at a festival. Lead singer had longish hair, sort of like Richard Ashcroft (wasnt him). Quite a sad song by the sounds of things, A couple of lyrics stick out, mainky 'I see it in your eyes...'. I also remember the words Corridor and Christmas Lights in it somewhere.
    It's a song called "Wires" by Athlete. Great song and very poignant. The singer wrote it about his child when he/she was ill in hospital.
    "Wires"

You got wires, going in
    You got wires, coming out of your skin
    You got tears, making tracks
    I got tears, that are scared of the facts

Running, down corridors through, automatic doors
    Got to get to you, got to see this through
    I see hope is here, in a plastic box
    I've seen christmas lights, reflect in your eyes

You got wires, going in
    You got wires, coming out of your skin
    There's dry blood, on your wrist
    Your dry blood on my fingertip

Running, down corridoors through, automatic doors
    First night of your life, curled up on your own
    Looking at you now, you would never know

I see it in your eyes, I see it in your eyes
    You'll be alright
    I see it in your eyes, I see it in your eyes
    You'll be alright

Alright

Running, down corridors through, automatic doors
    I see hope is here, in a plastic box
    I've seen christmas lights, reflect in your eyes
    down corridors, through automatic doors
    First night of your life, curled up on your own
    Looking at you now, you would never know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

Hey, what's the song on RTE2's ad for the new episode of Ugly Betty? I didn't notice it til the end of the ad and it's a kinda weird song that is slightly familiar from the radio or something.

It's a weird tune, it goes:

"and it goes on and on and ooooooon...." and then he says something, I can't make out what..but it's spoken, not sung.

Anyone?!

Hey, what's the song on RTE2's ad for the new episode of Ugly Betty? I didn't notice it til the end of the ad and it's a kinda weird song that is slightly familiar from the radio or something.

It's a weird tune, it goes:

"and it goes on and on and ooooooon...." and then he says something, I can't make out what..but it's spoken, not sung.

Anyone?!

I think it's "Who Cares?" by Gnarls Barkley from the album St. Elsewhere :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

Okie wrote:
    I think it's "Who Cares?" by Gnarls Barkley from the album St. Elsewhere :)

I just searched that on youtube to have a listen and thats it! Thanks...it was wreckin my head. It didn't sound like Gnarls Barkley..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,803 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Oh a side note:

Gah... that Gnarls Barkley song truly wrecks my head! Irritating beyond belief!

basquille wrote:
    Oh a side note:

Gah... that Gnarls Barkley song truly wrecks my head! Irritating beyond belief!
    Amen to that. Also that other song..... "Gone Daddy Gone" is just as bad.

Having said that, I did like "Crazy" when it first came out :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

Hi, there is a song on the dairygold add that goes

"been caught in the middle, been crying a little"

cant remember the rest, but there is a cello in the background. Its a really nice song, anyone know it?

Cerys Matthews 'Caught in the Middle'?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

music from the current "an post" ad anyone - funky baseline followed by blaring horns. I hate the ad, but the tune is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Colonel Kurtz

Anyone know the piece of music used in the Goal of the Month segment on RTE's "The Premiership" programme ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

Can someone help me out with a Paolo Nutini tune... Chorus:
    "When your lovin me, im lovin you, an i love your prowess and the things that you do and its your flawless soul...."

Sweet child of mine, can't you folks google...

http://www.metrolyrics.com/lyrics/2147433807/Paolo_Nutini/Loving_You

Anybody know the name of the song in this extremely funny and also quite scary video clip?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭markyedison

hey there,

i heard this song recently. it's got heavy, distorted guitar like a metal band.
    the main riff is just a few sparse chords played in a chunky, stomping kind of way.
    the lyrics start out 'if i cut your arms and cut off your legs, would you love me anyway' or something like that.
    in the middle of the song it goes real thrashy and sounds a bit like metallica's fade to black then it goes back to the chunky riff.
    it might have been inspired by that movie 'boxing helena', i think he sings the name helena in the outro.

cheers, marky

Advertisement