Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q&A with Flipper

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭Flushdraw

Mellor wrote:
    Surprised these haven't been ask yet but:

1. What's the best hand you ever played?

2. What's the best poker book you've read? (strat. or fict.)

Just to give you a headstart, he's already answered Q.2

From Jackybacks question.

"....8) I posted here on my blog and that pretty much tells you everything. I loved Rolf Slotbooms' PLO book. Very new and different...."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Flipper

Clareman wrote:
    Interesting read Flipper, thanks for you time.

Do you drink? If so, what's the biggest loss you've had while playing under the influence, if not, what's the biggest win you've had over someone under the influence?
    I drink infrequently and a lot when I do drink! I played the Fitz 2/5 PLO game really drunk one night and was winning 1k before I lost a big pot by misreading my hand. Lost 800 for the night. Online, I lost about 5k drunk. Haven't played under the influence since!

karlh wrote:
    I could have sworn that was my fault. I stand corrected.
    I never blamed you directly. I'm at fault myself for mot being more organised but I got pissed off over PPP not trying to help me out. After that, I was not in good form and had no interest in playing anymore. I hold no grudge with you directly.

5starpool wrote:
    If you can give me an example of where I unfairly criticised you, I will apologize. Other than thant it is in your head at times I think.

If you want to either ignore this or take it up via PM to avoid the thread getting derailed then that's fine.
    maybe it's in my head but it not just me that says it. I think you might be blinkered in what you've just said and I feel there's been a few examples. Eg: you critisied me for buying in for "too much" in the PLO game in the Fitz. You were also the first to claim that I was "secretly just looking for a way not to play" the IO. That kind of speculation start rumours (which always seem to follow me anyway) and it's not nice. 'Nuf said on this I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭nicnicnic

I'm thinking of starting a blog but I'm a little hesitant. Do you think your blog has been of any benefit to you ( it has been for me Its always good for a chuckle when I'm down). If so please expand

• Advertisement

did you back the winner of the grand national

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭karlh

Flipper wrote:
    I never blamed you directly.

Flipper wrote:
    I couldn't get cash from the bank in time for the weekend (long term deposit a/c) so I contacted the "nice" people at PPP with whom I have been playing with (and donating on the sportbook from time to time too) for 2 years now. I asked them to register me out of the money in my a/c (there was about $5k at the time) and they refused. I actually thought they were joking! I mean, what could be simplier than withdrawing the funds into their other account and stick my name down.

Unless there's another Flipper I talked to that day then the person you were blaming above is me. You're entitled to be as disorganised as you like but next time you go writing an 'open letter', consider that the contents of it might be complete boll0x before you post it on the net.

No grudges here either, see you soon.

Mellor wrote:
    Surprised these haven't been ask yet but:
    (edit: surprised I missed Q2, thought I read it all)

1. What's the best hand you ever played?

2. What's the best poker book you've read? (strat. or fict.)
    1) I have no idea! I like the hand that got me the monster chip lead 10 handed in the Xmas festival in the Macau last year. It came down to the fact that I'd been niggling the player involved for about 3 hours and kept 3-betting him and showed about 3 bluffs. One stage he got up and slammed the wall (he put down QQ on a KJ8X board to my re-re raise. I had air (TX).

When we got 10 handed I was in the SB with 100k, Captain Tom Franklin in the BB with 70k and Mateyboy had 100k UTG. He flat calls and it's folded all the way around to me in the SB with 22 and I complete. The Captain checks.

Flop: 2JJ

I chcek, The Captain checks, and mateyboy bet pot (6k ish). I bullishly make it 18k, Captain folds and Mateyboy moves all in! I insta call and he shows AK :) I go into the final day with 200k and twice the chips of anyone else.

22 is ironic in a way as it's the hand I won the Irish Championship with (calling an all-in on a 775 board).

2) as Tony said, I've done this one already.

nicnicnic wrote:
    I'm thinking of starting a blog but I'm a little hesitant. Do you think your blog has been of any benefit to you ( it has been for me Its always good for a chuckle when I'm down). If so please expand
    I think you should. It's good for developing your profile and gives you some direction. It'd be great for you as someone who plays online everyday and acts as a kind of "big brother" making tilting off your money a little less appealing as you don't want to look like a tit.

nicnicnic wrote:
    did you back the winner of the grand national
    No, I backed L'Ami. He never settled properly.

Ok, gotta go on the piss now. I'll be back tomorrow to answer some more if this hasn't ran it's course. Keep posting questions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭corkie123

:confused::confused: well your writing a book about wat flipper ? surely not poker do u not think that u need about 10 or 15 more years to learn first before u try to teach others or is it something else u are writing about ? if it is poker u should ask nicnicnic on how to play with no cards :D:D

corkie123 wrote:
    :confused::confused: well your writing a book about wat flipper ? surely not poker do u not think that u need about 10 or 15 more years to learn first before u try to teach others or is it something else u are writing about ? if it is poker u should ask nicnicnic on how to play with no cards :D:D
    Hey Sean, read here and that should explain more. No, it's not on game theory!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Captain Tom

what the latest development with the book and how likely is it that it will come out?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,125 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Its not a stragety book, afaik

what the latest development with the book and how likely is it that it will come out?
    I have 10 interviews complete with pictures etc to support them (I want 20 total). Getting big players like durrr and Brian Townsend to sit down for an hour is difficult but possible. I suppose it's 80% likely that it will be finished in 2 months. I'd like it to be anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭BIG-SLICK-POKER

In your Opinion what is the best Poker Club In Ireland ..

You have played with us a good few times But who do you think in Ireland are the best Live Tournie organisers

Which Players have u learned the most off in NLH and Plo.

If Poker was banned in ireland what would be your new interest...

Who are ur players u would interview in the Book

Can u make the Waterford Open 18th-20th May
    (Same time as Macau League Final)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭BigCityBanker

Your biggest poker mistake/regret?

Does your ego get in the way of you being a more succesful poker player?

What is the biggest mistake you see other poker players make regularly?

What is the sound of one hand clapping?

Your top 3 boards contributors are?

Person who writes the most sh1te on here that you would like to tell to fcuk off?

AJo oop to a raise from a top class player - whats your move?

Are you coming up for the GJP festival?

Please rank in order your top 5 considerations before you see a flop in Omaha?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭hotspur

1) Who are the 10 players you already have in the bag for the book?

2) Will you tell us more about your student DVD duplication adventures and did it involve films of an adult nature?

3) What do you think is the number 1 reason why Omaha a better cash game to play than Hold Em?

In your Opinion what is the best Poker Club In Ireland ..

You have played with us a good few times But who do you think in Ireland are the best Live Tournie organisers

Which Players have u learned the most off in NLH and Plo.

If Poker was banned in ireland what would be your new interest...

Who are ur players u would interview in the Book

Can u make the Waterford Open 18th-20th May
    (Same time as Macau League Final)
    1) The Sporting Emporium is a beautiful place and I found the staff to be really nice. The Fitz is a bit of a kip but I love the games there and Luke is a class act. One of the nicest guys in poker. Great dealers there too. The Macau in Cork is still one of, if not the nicest club in the country. Dealers can be dodgy at times but the tourneys are really well ran.

2) I haven't played many tourneys ran outside of clubs but I must say that Big Slick run a good show. Very nice staff and well picked locations.

3) At the beginning, I learnt a lot from Paul Bracken and Gavin Stevens in the Macau. In PLO, I suppose Tony Cooney has taught me the finer points of the game - without him knowing he was thou!

4) I'd probably get back to the gym. I used to be in good shape but poker and the terrible lifestyle that comes with it has ruined me! I also used to play a lot of pool and snooker so I might take that up again.

5) I have a fairly complete list at the moment. Some of them a "probably" but it looks like this:

Sbrugby
    Durrrr
    OMGClayAiken (Jman)
    Empire2000
    Fast_Freddie
    patrik Antonius (possibly)
    halibut2 (I'll twist his arm yet!)
    Samo
    Boosted J
    Ben Grundy (milkybarkid - betfair)
    Emile petit (Matt Damon - crypto)
    Green Plastic
    Thebruiser
    Prevaricator/cymbaline
    Fuat Cann
    Chufty (Richard Ashby)

Flipper wrote:
    2) I haven't played many tourneys ran outside of clubs but I must say that Big Slick run a good show. Very nice staff and well picked locations.

)

do you think Kelly was fishing for this answer.

well done in the well

• Advertisement

Your biggest poker mistake/regret?

Does your ego get in the way of you being a more succesful poker player?

What is the biggest mistake you see other poker players make regularly?

What is the sound of one hand clapping?

Your top 3 boards contributors are?

Person who writes the most sh1te on here that you would like to tell to fcuk off?

AJo oop to a raise from a top class player - whats your move?

Are you coming up for the GJP festival?

Please rank in order your top 5 considerations before you see a flop in Omaha?
    1) Like I said already, I regret drinking all night before going into the 2nd day of the Asain Open. Myself, Halibut and Marty Smyth were all in with a great chance of doing well and we drank that away! Bad idea looking back on it!

2) No, I don't think so.....

3) Simple stuff like betting on the river into a player who was obviously drawing. Check to them and let them bluff. I see this all the time and it makes me laugh. Also, players undervalue two pair in omaha was too often.

4) Ask Jeremy Beadle

5) Ohhh, I'm not sure as I don't read a lot of NLH posts. Probably Roundtower, Hector Jelly and Flushdraw.

6) Sideshow - yet to make a strategical contribution!

7) Depends totally on stacks and history with villian. If he raised the button and I'm in the blinds, I'd probably raise 70% fold 30%. That's probably miles off the correct thing to do though.

8) Probably. I'll know for sure in the next week or so. I'd love to play a tourney with such a great structure.

9) 1: Starting hand potential
    2: Position relative to the raiser
    3: Stack size
    4: Nittiness of opponents
    5: whether someones likely to reraise me

hotspur wrote:
    1) Who are the 10 players you already have in the bag for the book?

2) Will you tell us more about your student DVD duplication adventures and did it involve films of an adult nature?

3) What do you think is the number 1 reason why Omaha a better cash game to play than Hold Em?
    1) Posted in the reply to Big Slick's questions.

2) Lol, no not on a public forum. I had a decent selection of everything though.

3) Even though there is more post flop coin flips, I still think it can be very profitable. From my experience, it attracts a lot of action junkies (more so live than anywhere else) and they in turn bring a large amount of dead money. I plays bigger than most NLH games with deeper stacks a lot of the time too. At the moment though, there is more money to be made online in NLH purely due to the amount of games available.

Flipper wrote:

3) Even though there is more post flop coin flips, I still think it can be very profitable. From my experience, it attracts a lot of action junkies (more so live than anywhere else) and they in turn bring a large amount of dead money. I plays bigger than most NLH games with deeper stacks a lot of the time too. At the moment though, there is more money to be made online in NLH purely due to the amount of games available.

Is this simply that you can get your opponents to make more mistakes preflop in Omaha?

Is this simply that you can get your opponents to make more mistakes preflop in Omaha?
    No, tbh you can't go far wrong pre-flop in PLO. you wouldn't be WRONG to play every hand in unraised pots - although long term, you'd definatley lose. It's the mistakes they make on the flop and turn mainly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭bops

Hi Flipper!

Well done here and fair play to ya!

I don't have a question, coz i know everything there is to know about poker, and i don't really care what your favourite colour is etc!

...but i would like to say that you are among the top guys i've played poker with over the last few years - that's in relation to skill and being sound personaly.

I do have 1 question - I go to cork a fair bit and always stay in the metropole - I like it coz it's so close to the macau and the pool is a must for me - but overall it's a bit tatty - the "corporate" rooms are a joke. So where can I stay that is nice, affordable, central, and has a good pool??

thanks and cya soon hopefully

Bops!

bops wrote:
    Hi Flipper!

Well done here and fair play to ya!

I don't have a question, coz i know everything there is to know about poker, and i don't really care what your favourite colour is etc!

...but i would like to say that you are among the top guys i've played poker with over the last few years - that's in relation to skill and being sound personaly.

I do have 1 question - I go to cork a fair bit and always stay in the metropole - I like it coz it's so close to the macau and the pool is a must for me - but overall it's a bit tatty - the "corporate" rooms are a joke. So where can I stay that is nice, affordable, central, and has a good pool??

thanks and cya soon hopefully

Bops!
    Thanks Bops, I can say the same for you and I love the trouble you cause on here!

The Clarion Hotel is lovely and is just across the bridge from the Macau (beside the bus station). Not sure if it's got a pool though. The gym and pool are quite nice in the Metropole.

Flipper what is your SN on Betfair?

Flipper what is your SN on Betfair?
    RUSTIE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭SIDESHOW BOBs

enough of the sideshow bashing i am quite delicate at the mo:D

enjoyed your piece of fiction on how you built your bankroll in the macau , i must have been in a paralell poker club at the time

• Advertisement

enough of the sideshow bashing i am quite delicate at the mo:D

enjoyed your piece of fiction on how you built your bankroll in the macau , i must have been in a paralell poker club at the time
    Where did I "bash" you exactly?

Hmmmm, maybe losing you bag of "pixie-dust" has affected your memory... You're welcome to generate some sort of report on where my bankroll came from because I can can only recall one way that I grew a 'roll while still in college.

Advertisement