Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Funny Side of Religion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Popinjay wrote: »
    I'm no scientist but would the gold leaf not bugger the microwave?

What do they use for fake gold leaf on cheaper books these days?

When I was cheffing one of the places I worked had their logo on the plates in gold leaf. We used to put them in the microwave all the time. Some sparks off the leaf when the plates were new - but we never had any dramatic explosions.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

OK, it was funny initially because it's so ridiculous.

But then I saw the group at the bottom of the steps on Jesus's left, they're clearly supposed to "sinners" or fallen ones, or something - the guy counting his money, the guy holding Origin of Species. And oh look, in that group you have a pregnant woman, no doubt meant to signify single mothers or something.

Just FUCK YOU, scumbag Jesus freaks. If the guy written about in the NT actually existed, can you imagine how horrified he would be to see what these scumbags are doing in his name?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

I'm no scientist but would the gold leaf not bugger the microwave?

What do they use for fake gold leaf on cheaper books these days?

I doubt they went through with it. If they did, they'd see 'magic'!. ;)

As far as I can see, from the picture, the book has none of that gold leaf edging on the pages. They don't make em like they used to. /taps walking stick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭oldrnwisr

seamus wrote: »

But then I saw the group at the bottom of the steps on Jesus's left, they're clearly supposed to "sinners" or fallen ones, or something - the guy counting his money, the guy holding Origin of Species. And oh look, in that group you have a pregnant woman, no doubt meant to signify single mothers or something.

Just FUCK YOU, scumbag Jesus freaks. If the guy written about in the NT actually existed, can you imagine how horrified he would be to see what these scumbags are doing in his name?

Not much.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

seamus wrote: »

I'd imagine that pregnant lady is on her way to abort her baby so she can maintain her debaucherous lifestyle. And probably being given a lift by the Supreme Court Justice beside her that made it all possible.

Is that guy in the red shirt and goatee meant to be someone?

Caucasian Jesus really is big and white though!

• Advertisement

Dades wrote: »
    I'd imagine that pregnant lady is on her way to abort her baby so she can maintain her debaucherous lifestyle. And probably being given a lift by the Supreme Court Justice beside her that made it all possible.

Can't seem to find FDR among the dead presidents. Couldn't they get his wheelchair up the steps??

Nice to see the serial adulterer JFK is there with Jesus.

Why is Herr Ratzinger in his Emperor Palpatine costume on the far right (ironically enough :p), just below the middle?

Did the nazi-pope help found America?

Edit: Seriously, he's got glowing red eyes and everything. It's creepy as... well... as the pope, I suppose.

Doesn't jesus look like this guy?

Thor-The-Dark-World-Synopsis.jpg

God, he's so vain.

Yeah.

Someone who doesn't believe in uniforms. Some sort of maverick, fashion atheist. He doesn't even have a tie?? Probably lives by his own rules.

Everyone on the steps is in costume, *cough* I mean uniform.

Doesn't jesus look like this guy?

Thor-The-Dark-World-Synopsis.jpg

God, he's so vain.

What? You were expecting him to look more like this? Don't be silly...

Fajer%2c-Iraqi.jpg.CROP.article920-large.jpg

There's no way he had Middle Eastern features, he looked European. Gawwd.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Red Shirt from Trek

insp_expendability.jpg

You know what happens when you put one on, so in their eyes it must be suicide by alien.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Nice to see the serial adulterer JFK is there with Jesus.
    I was even more surprised to see Bodhi from Point Break there.

pointbreakreagan.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I was even more surprised to see Bodhi from Point Break there.

pointbreakreagan.jpg

Little hand says it's time to rock and roll!

I ****ing love that movie.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

The Vatican admits that they're having trouble connecting with youth. Presumably on account of stricter child-protection measures.

http://www.religionnews.com/2013/01/31/vatican-admits-it-doesnt-fully-understand-youth-culture/
    VATICAN CITY (RNS) The Vatican’s culture ministry warned on Thursday (Jan. 31) that the Catholic Church risks losing future generations if it doesn’t learn how to understand young people, their language and their culture.

The Pontifical Council for Culture invited sociologists, web experts and theologians to a three-day, closed-door event on Feb. 6-9 aimed at studying “emerging youth cultures.”

According to a working paper released ahead of the meeting, the church risks “offering answers to questions that are not there” if it doesn’t learn “the cultural reality of young people.”

A study released last October by the Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life showed that young people are increasingly disconnected from religion, with one in three Americans aged 18-29 describing themselves as religiously unaffiliated.

The Rev. Melchor Sanchez de Toca, undersecretary of the Vatican’s culture department, said in an interview that the church’s youth problem is not just “quantitative” — evidenced by a decline in key indicators, such as baptisms and church attendance — but also “qualitative.”

The youth world, he said, has changed “radically,” but the church “is still offering what it has been offering for the past 500 years.”

“We keep on giving the same answers but the way questions are posed is now totally different.”

Even if youth culture is often marked by individualism, superficiality and hedonism, the council’s president, Cardinal Gianfranco Ravasi, said during a Thursday press conference that its “diversity” is “not only negative” but “contains surprising seeds of fruitfulness and authenticity.”

In his effort to understand young people’s language and feelings, Ravasi confessed to listening to a CD by the late British pop singer Amy Winehouse, noting that “a quest for meaning emerges even from her distraught music and lyrics.”

In a first for a Vatican meeting, the event will be opened by a rock concert by Italian Christian rock band The Sun.

Participants, mostly bishops and Catholic lay leaders, will also hear from young Catholic activists from countries such as Indonesia and Madagascar, while American blogger Pia de Solenni will speak on the “emotional alphabet” of young generations.
    Fun to think of a cardinal tapping his pampered foot to Ms Winehouse all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Christian rock?

Jesus wept.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

The youth world, he said, has changed “radically,” but the church “is still offering what it has been offering for the past 500 years.”

Tubular!
    Also insert a picture of Buddy Christ.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

I would like to go to Heaven for the climate and to Hell for the company! Mark Twain.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

239695.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Sarky wrote: »
    Christian rock?

Jesus wept.

044-Youre-making-rock-n-roll-worse.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

robindch wrote: »
    The Vatican admits that they're having trouble connecting with youth. Presumably on account of stricter child-protection measures.

http://www.religionnews.com/2013/01/31/vatican-admits-it-doesnt-fully-understand-youth-culture/

Fun to think of a cardinal tapping his pampered foot to Ms Winehouse all the same.

Funny how they implied individualism as a negative along with hedonism and superficiality.
    DAMN KIDS THINKING FOR THEMSELVES!!!:mad:

Liamario wrote: »

DAMN KIDS THINKING FOR THEMSELVES!!!:mad:

They are???
    They can???

said the jaded lecturer...:(

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    They are???
    They can???

said the jaded lecturer...:(

They can't, they don't,

A.N.Other Lectuer

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

They can, they do.

They just know the most efficient way to get good grades. Why bother being awake and alert at a lecture, and willing to answer to questions when such things rarely matter in terms of overall grades?

Jernal wrote: »
    They can, they do.

They just know the most efficient way to get good grades. Why bother being awake and alert at a lecture, and willing to answer to questions when such things rarely matter in terms of overall grades?

In my lectures that would be the rock they perish on....:p

This is why I love practical work and continuous assessment. They tend to force people to learn.

This is why I love practical work and continuous assessment. They tend to force people to learn.

especially continuous assessment that has an attendance/participation component ...

...and special research projects...

:D

A favourite of an old professor of mine was to start the year by saying "I have two questions in the exam at the end of the year. Here's one of them. I won't be covering ANYTHING about this topic in lectures. The library is over there. You want to do this question, you research it in your own time. You want to be safe and boring, you pay attention to these lectures and try the other question, whatever that may be."

And that's why I spent my third year in microbiology reading every damn thing I could about the epidemiology of the ebola virus. And also how I managed to make a batman reference in the diagrams. :pac:

If I ever end up teaching people, that's the kind of crap I'll be doing. Students will hate me. ^_^

Jernal wrote: »
    They can, they do.

Because generally they will be given certain hints, phrases etc that are related to their exams, I will avoid lecturing on something that is either not important, they should already know or is not related to their exam. Questions are often open to interpretation, a lecturer will have his marking scheme for externals, you have to hit certain areas to pass, although there is leeway which I will always give if the work is there.
    It is fantastic, gets the mind working early in the semester rather than the week before exams, wish I had had them.
    A favourite of an old professor of mine was to start the year by saying "I have two questions in the exam at the end of the year. Here's one of them. I won't be covering ANYTHING about this topic in lectures. The library is over there. You want to do this question, you research it in your own time. You want to be safe and boring, you pay attention to these lectures and try the other question, whatever that may be."

And that's why I spent my third year in microbiology reading every damn thing I could about the epidemiology of the ebola virus. And also how I managed to make a batman reference in the diagrams. :pac:

I had Sidebottom in UCD for chemistry in 1st year, half way through the term he gave us assignments, told us they were worth very little but that the questions on them would come up on the end of semester exam. The class numbers had dwindled from 400 down to about 80. He was a good / interesting lecturer as well. The exam was exactly as he said, the pass rate was less than 10%. He even told us in class after that he couldn't figure it out. He had given us the question, his postgrads walked us through the answers in practicals.

You just can't tell some people, I passed but ashamedly not by as much as I should have.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 51,713 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

tumblr_mhsfif2NAI1s4afyio1_500.jpg

tumblr_mhs8yfR01L1raw1oio1_500.jpg

tumblr_mhs587pqEX1rwh5cjo1_500.jpg

If you can read this, you're too close!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement