Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish open sponsorships

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

The-Rigger wrote:
    .....I wear tshirts and a cap, ballcap? Baseball Cap, I don't know how you define it.....et al
    i couldnt agree more and i will be wearing a t-shirt/hoody if i am moved why should i have to change my attire to suit the televison. if i have a lucky hat id wear it etc... im not used to playing with earphones so it wouldnt bother me but im sure this will def affect others, and would lead younger/more inexperienced players to giving out mroe information than they might wish at the table. my 2c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭AS_PokerKing

Are you allowed talk at the tables ??? Or will you get like 50 lines..."I must not talk in the Irish Open"

Rules Smules....just play the bleedin thing !!! :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭ocallagh

I'd say a plain baseball cap would be fine.

If you do have branded gear on, or a baseball cap or whatever, and you get moved to the feature table. Will the TD pause the clock while someone tries to find you a new shirt..ie: will they give you time to change or will you miss out on a few hands/blinds?

On a side note, the last one: "Paddy Power Poker reserves the right to add or amend any tournament rules, as they feel appropriate."

If you have paid for your ticket and the next day PPP tell you they decided to change the terms and conditions can you get a refund or do you have to put up with the new T' & C's?

Not attacking PPP here at all, just curious. I see this at the bottom of loads of T's & C's. Anyone out there know anything about contract law?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭ocallagh

Also, will Eoin Olin and Dave Masters be allowed to wear their frocks after losing their weight loss bets?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭smurph

please stop, I have this vision of dave Masters trying to talk a guy outta calling him while wearing a pink off the shoulder dress, yuck

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

smurph wrote:
    please stop, I have this vision of dave Masters trying to talk a guy outta calling him while wearing a pink off the shoulder dress, yuck
    I can't imagine why you thought we all needed to suffer the same fate :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭PPP-Pit Boss

For the record these rules apply to the TV FEATURE TABLE. Your Ipod is welcome on any other table but tv and tv table TD direction must be audible to participants at a feature table.

We are trying to create a high quality internationally distributed TV programme that will encourage people in Ireland to play with Paddy Power Poker and will entice people from further a field to come and play in the Irish Open. We have made the Irish Open a high-quality-must-attend event and the television programme should be aligned with this.

For these reasons we want the TV programme to look well and have therefore created some rules.

Rules for TV and feature tables often include stipulations such as these we are not an anomaly, indeed many of the rules are provided by the tv companies not by PP themselves.

All of these sponsorship rules apply as much to PPP as they do to everyone else so we do not gain from them. In the event an alternative shirt is required we have purchased a large quantity of plain black shirts these will bear not logo's whatsoever.

Baseball Hats

Baseball hats can be pulled right down to block out a persons eyes and all light going on to their face. Our TV producers will not permit them for this reason, having one player with a really dark, impossible to see face. Baseball hat = bad TV.

We appreciate other peaked hats could have the same effect and it is for this reason that we reserve the right to make a judgment on the day.

Sponsorship

We invest a lot of money in producing this event. We restrict sponsorship and block sponsorship deals happening during the tournament to prevent a situation where a competitor could sponsor all the players on the feature table in effect destroying our efforts.

T-Shirts

One persons lucky t-shirt is another mans string vest. However some patterns can “boil” an eye-hurting situation where parts of the pattern appear to bleed in to each other. White generally does not look great on TV. We need to keep control over what people wear so that we can keep a classy high quality theme to the event. Neat looking t-shirts may be permitted, but we would really have to see the t-shirt first.

Reserving the Right

With TV it is difficult to know what will work best, and on some situations we have to make a call on the day. This is not meant to be a cynical rule or impede upon anyone’s enjoyment of the tournament.

most of them seem fair, enough so long as they are not cut in stone. i see no reason why my t-shirt shouldnt meet the requirements, ill be sure not to wear white. i dont have any shirts that id feel comfortable wearing so i guess ill have to buy one should i make the FT... wouldnt be complaining if i had to in that scenario. thanks for explaining anywya PPP

Really the rules covers us. We have NO intentions of being anal about it like but lets say som KNACKER from paddy power shows up in a brassard ? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭rogue trader

Last year, the only feature table was the final table. Is that different this year?

• Advertisement

Yes this year there is a feature tv table the entire duration of the IO. The IO highlights will be on RTE Sat Sun 11:30pm and then on Challenge later on in the month. Final Table will be on RTE 2 on Monday night at 11:30pm

On a slightly different note, when are you expecting the boards last longest betting to be on your website?

Boards market will be up by Sunday. We may get it up today but I dont want to promise.

Sure thing.Thanks for responding so quickly to both questions

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

If baseball hats are not allowed as they *could* cover peoples eyes, are sunglasses allowed?

Imposter wrote:
    If baseball hats are not allowed as they *could* cover peoples eyes, are sunglasses allowed?
    i think he meant there would be a shadow over your face, therefore havign some dark and some light faces and making life difficult for the lighting technitions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭semibluff

interestingly i got odds on three players of my choice - for one of them to be in the top five chip lead after day one. i wont say the players as will put pressure on them, and it aint any of the top 30 in the odds.
    go 22-1 on it neways!

Also got 5/6 on myself to survive day one. I didnt ask for this exact bet, and dont intend on backing it, but interesting stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭The Clamper

if you wear a Poker Ireland shirt and play in the Irish Open
    i will give you a shirt with a tenner in the pocket
    PM me with your size and if i have one left in your size, you're on
    only a few left at this stage, so if you want to be a sponsored player, call me

The Clamper
    086 8343 252

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Baseball hats can be pulled right down to block out a persons eyes and all light going on to their face. Our TV producers will not permit them for this reason, having one player with a really dark, impossible to see face. Baseball hat = bad TV

When I am playing a crucial pot, I often favour looking down, while wearing my baseball hat. It helps me stay calm during tense poker situations.

I can understand if someones t-shirt is showing up crazy on the TV that it needs to be changed.

I don't understand banning the wearing of baseball hats for various reasons:

1. The Poker is interesting enough. No one should be forced to show their face at all times, i.e key pots, just so the viewing public can see what they look like while holding X-Cards.
    If someone wants to reduce the visibility of themselves in this manor, there is a poker related reason. Concealing is a part of the game. You are now altering their poker demeanour and the poker game that is been played.

---

2. Anyone can raise their T-shirt/shirt/put their head down on the table/Put their hands over their face or forehead/any manner of things I haven't thought of.
    Many of these things may be more annoying to watch than someone wearing a baseball hat (not annoying).

---

3. It is permitted on the EPT Final tables:

'Baseball caps will be allowed but no logos must be visible on them.'

http://www.europeanpokertour.com/rules.html

I think most of us would agree that they set a decent standard for the running and filming of poker in Europe.

It is also permitted on all WSOP and WPT TV tables.

---

4. 85%+ of the players at the Final table will have no desire to wear a hat of any description, you won't have 9 people wearing baseball caps and be unable to tell who anyone is.

I watched the EPT Live webcast most of yesterday and today, so far I've seen one person wearing a baseball hat.

Our TV producers will not permit them for this reason

The TV producers should not be allowed to run the poker tournament. I have noticed that a company called Sunset + Vine produce both the GUKPT and EPT television shows (and EPT Live Feed).
    The GUKPT do not permit baseball caps at the final table, and yet the EPT do, this is despite that fact that it is the same production company.

Clearly the EPT (John Duthie?) are more player orientated and do not allow the TV production to unnecessarily affect the running of their poker tournaments.

I think it is an overstepping of the boundaries, a step in the wrong direction, and unnecessary.

The EPT, WPT, and WSOP agree, they also make great TV.

Well said.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭max_power

Wonder how Phil Laak will feel when he realises he can'y tie his grey hoody around his face and hide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 TheSpaniard

Points well made Rigger - this is a huge infringement on our rights as poker players - are we allowed to wear cowboy hats? - same differance I would say.

max_power wrote:
    Wonder how Phil Laak will feel when he realises he can'y tie his grey hoody around his face and hide.
    or andy black when he cant wear his eminmen t-shirt!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭karlh

Hi Rigger, valid points and well put.

I cant give much feedback beyond saying that tv producers will not be running the poker tournament but it is a televised event and they have made the decision not to allow baseball caps at the tv table.

Most of the rules are flexible and just to give us some wiggle room. In reality i'd be surprised if half of them be enforced to the letter. I've been told that the caps thing is something to do with the type of lighting they are using with a custom built tv set. Apparently a baseball cap completely shadows out someone's face.

we're doing everything we can to make the tournament good for the players but these tv rules are a necessary evil according to the people who know about tv.

or andy black when he cant wear his eminmen t-shirt!
    That a tribute act?

5starpool wrote:
    That a tribute act?
    yeah its like U squared.

Karl will players be asked to sit at an 8 handed TV table while the rest of the room are 9 or 10 handed or will the TV table only come into play when the tournament comes down to 8/9 handed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭58o

Karl will players be asked to sit at an 8 handed TV table while the rest of the room are 9 or 10 handed or will the TV table only come into play when the tournament comes down to 8/9 handed?

It would be advantagous to a good player to play 8 handed while all other tables are 10 handed, would it not?

I suppose u could argue that way however if it was the case it would not be a level playing field and that would be wrong.

• Advertisement

58o wrote:
    It would be advantagous to a good player to play 8 handed while all other tables are 10 handed, would it not?
    no. you would be playing more Hph which means you pay more blinds and face less players. if your ten handed theres a better chance youll have adonkey or two at your table.
    id prefer to be 10 handed if everyone else was 8 thats for sure.

Advertisement