Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acer Laptop Support - Tech support only, read the rules or you will be banned

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭KStaford

Hi acer

I recently (2 weeks ago) bought a travelmate 6592g. I notice that it often (7 times out of 10) has a problem re-establishing a wireless connection to my wireless network at home. The wireless icon in the notification area animates as if trying to get an ip address followed by a balloon tip message warning of limited or no connectivity and then the icon changes to a warning yellow triangle. (see attached image). I often try repairing the connection 2 or 3 times. sometimes this works, sometimes not. Usually I have to switch off wireless lan and switch it back on again via the physical switch on the front. This usually (but not always re-establishes a good wlan connection.

This situation happens from a clean system full start, and from a hibernation reactivation. The wlan at home works fine on my other pc. It establishes a connection instantly everytime it resumes or loads windows.

This is getting very annoying. Clearly there is a problem.
    Can you please advise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 acerwarranty

KStaford wrote: »
    Hi acer

I recently (2 weeks ago) bought a travelmate 6592g. I notice that it often (7 times out of 10) has a problem re-establishing a wireless connection to my wireless network at home. The wireless icon in the notification area animates as if trying to get an ip address followed by a balloon tip message warning of limited or no connectivity and then the icon changes to a warning yellow triangle. (see attached image). I often try repairing the connection 2 or 3 times. sometimes this works, sometimes not. Usually I have to switch off wireless lan and switch it back on again via the physical switch on the front. This usually (but not always re-establishes a good wlan connection.

This situation happens from a clean system full start, and from a hibernation reactivation. The wlan at home works fine on my other pc. It establishes a connection instantly everytime it resumes or loads windows.

This is getting very annoying. Clearly there is a problem.
    Can you please advise

Hi,

what you are describing is usually not the laptops fault, its your router. The laptop in no way is responsible for the settings it receives...all it does is request IP details it is assigned from your router, then implements them. if it doesn't receive them it says limited or no connectivity. I have seen it many times with servers and company networks. the DHCP system is faulty or missing settings. Your other PC is working because the router is assigning its details correctly and the router knows it.

The above may not be the case, but about 99% of the times i have seen it on networks, its the DHCP system causing it. Hard to say for definate unless I can see the router settings, etc. Try doing a system restore to eliminate the laptop.

Thanks

Richard Sands

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭KStaford

Richard

Thanks for the reply albeit a little bias (it's not the laptops fault ! :)).
    What I have done in the mean time is as follows......

I have looked at Intel's site for updated drivers for the Intel 4965AGN wireless adapter. Their latest drivers are more up to date then the laptops so I download and installed them. I then decided to use Intels own wireless utility "Intel PROSet wireless" to handle the networking and disable the Windows "Wireless Zero Configuration".

The result is that everything is now working perfectly and the more advanced functionality and options within the Intel PROSet software are a bonus.

Isn't it just aswell that I am reasonably tech savvy and that I was able to do all that and to know about things such as the notorious Windows Wireless Zero Configuration etc.

Richard
    There was no fault with my router or my network. I purposely mentioned in my initial post that my other PC was connecting perfectly. I had also tried reinstalling to factory default a few times and that made no difference. It actually was the fault of the laptop - albeit drivers and microsoft's catch all wireless service.

KStaford wrote: »
    Richard

Thanks for the reply albeit a little bias (it's not the laptops fault ! :)).
    What I have done in the mean time is as follows......

I have looked at Intel's site for updated drivers for the Intel 4965AGN wireless adapter. Their latest drivers are more up to date then the laptops so I download and installed them. I then decided to use Intels own wireless utility "Intel PROSet wireless" to handle the networking and disable the Windows "Wireless Zero Configuration".

The result is that everything is now working perfectly and the more advanced functionality and options within the Intel PROSet software are a bonus.

Isn't it just aswell that I am reasonably tech savvy and that I was able to do all that and to know about things such as the notorious Windows Wireless Zero Configuration etc.

Richard
    There was no fault with my router or my network. I purposely mentioned in my initial post that my other PC was connecting perfectly. I had also tried reinstalling to factory default a few times and that made no difference. It actually was the fault of the laptop - albeit drivers and microsoft's catch all wireless service.

Glad you got everything sorted. No known issues with drivers at present though. (Note: Thats why i highlighted in bold that it MAY NOT BE THE CASE and USUALLY and unless i was infront of the unit i couldn't pin point it.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭barrett1965

Hi,

I need to return my Acer laptop for repair (still under warranty). I was given a number of an Irish based Acer repair centre, but lost it. Would anyone happen to have it to hand?

Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement

Hi,

I need to return my Acer laptop for repair (still under warranty). I was given a number of an Irish based Acer repair centre, but lost it. Would anyone happen to have it to hand?

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

The service centre number is 0044 870 803 4915

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭bogwalrus

Hi there, i got an aspire 5315 and want to register it for warranty. When i tried to register the details my model (the aspire 5315) was not on the selection secreen of different versions of the aspire so i could not register. I tried the closest one which was 5310 but it said my registration code did not match up with the model.

Any help would be great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭barrett1965

Hi,

The service centre number is 0044 870 803 4915

Thanks for prompt reply, but I rang that number and they in turn gave me a Irish land line number. I think it started with 042...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

hey i have an acer extensa 5220 that came with the laptop accessories (webcam, usb mouse etc)

when i install the webcam and try and run the AMCAP software and it says "Sorry, you have no video capture hardware". Any suggestions?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement