Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acer Laptop Support - Tech support only, read the rules or you will be banned

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 jenniferfh

After 11 months cracks appeared around the hinge area on the outer cover of the screen.
    If I open the lid, the cracks close up and when I close it, they get wider.

This is something to do with stress at that point.

Inside the cover has no cracks, just the silver outside.

This machine has been looked after and has not been dropped - it is now 21 months old and the cracks are getting bigger.

What is happening here?

J

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭Spipov

hi there. i have an aspire 3043lmi (or wlmi), and its dog slow with the vista built in (celeron, 512mb ram - to be expected). id like to downgrade to xp but need drivers. im searching everywhere on the sites, ive found some on the .com.cn site, but i cant start any downloads.

went to try the ftp for acer, but i cannot login. can anyone login into the ftp and let me know if that is working? been spending a day trying to find drivers and nothing is loading.

thanks for letting me know...

http://www.acer.com.cn/driver/check_whole.asp?a=d32&sort=notebook&product=AS3040&path=WinXP

http://support.acer-euro.com/drivers/ftp/ftp.html

if someone does manage to get inside, would it be possible to download those drivers and maybe upload in one .zip or .rar on rapidshare or something?eternally grateful then...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Heres a link to the html european site. The downloads from there are working fine for me.

http://support.acer-euro.com/drivers/notebook/as_3040.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Mr Acer Support,
    My Travelmate 3002 has been refusing to charge it's batteries for some months now. I have a brand new Liteon PSU which is working 100%. I also have two batteries, so I doubt they both developed the same problem at the exact same time.

The only funny thing is that every now and then, it does charge back up to full. I havent figured how to do it on demand, it only seems to happen when the battery goes very low, and only when the laptop is turned off, but apart from that i can't figure out any pattern that would make the problem 'livable'. So I only ever use the laptop plugged in.

If you reckon the charging circuit is fried, that's fine, I have no intention of fixing it, but is there any common tricks or resets or drivers etc that might fix the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭jayo2004

I have an acer aspire 1640 (1644WLMI) and a bios update was run on it but after that the screen is blank. Here is the bios that was run on it.

http://support.acer-euro.com/drivers/notebook/as_1640.html

I am trying a Crisis Recovery Disk as in this link

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?threadId=974719&admit=-682735245+1195639909130+28353475

It runs thru no problem (blind flash) I can see activity on hard drive leds even reboots when finished so I was wondering could you post a link to a bios update for this model. thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭jayo2004

Its O.K i got it working. Its fn+esc for this model not fn+b as stated in Hp forum is case someone needs to know:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 acerwarranty

jenniferfh wrote: »
    After 11 months cracks appeared around the hinge area on the outer cover of the screen.
    If I open the lid, the cracks close up and when I close it, they get wider.

This is something to do with stress at that point.

Inside the cover has no cracks, just the silver outside.

This machine has been looked after and has not been dropped - it is now 21 months old and the cracks are getting bigger.

What is happening here?

J

If the laptop lids are opened with one hand in one corner it creates a heavy stress point on the hinges. A replacement cover is usually £35 and fitting and shipping to and from the service centre would probably be £55

FreekyGeek wrote: »
    Hi Acer Service guy,
    I've been reading the posts here and I think you helping out here in Boards.ie is a great idea ;)
    Anyway, down to business -a query. I bought an Acer 7520 about a week ago(the infamous Tesco deal!) And I'm happy with it. But... I noticed a few days ago that when the laptop is charging there is a very faint, high pitched hissing noise coming from the battery. It stops making this noise when I plug out the charger. And it doesn't matter if the laptop is switched on or off, as long as the charger is plugged in the hiss is there.
    The battery does get a little warm when charging but I figure that's normal.
    If it helps the battery model number (I think) is AS07B31.

This is my first laptop so I'm not sure if this noise is suppose to be there (:o)?
    Should I start looking for another battery?

Thanks in advance for any advise.

Call the service centre on 0044 870 803 4915 so that they can get the machine booked in to be looked at. sounds like you may need a replacement part as it shouldn't be making that noise.

Try this: take the battery out. plug the mains adaptor in and turn the unit on. Is the hissing noise still there?

huanas777 wrote: »
    hi, acer service,

I have acer aspiron 5100 bl51 with xp home. the problem is, that the keyboard and touchpad wont work when im trying to log in. in fact it doesnt even work if im pressing f2to get in bios. it doesnt work at all. i tryed usb keyboard but no luck. any advise?

If you press the caps lock key does the caps light come on and off. If not sounds like the keyboard is faulty. However it may just need the cable to be re-seated into the socket...unlikely it came out but could be possible that it just has came out of its seating.

pictish wrote: »
    hi there,
    i am currently having issues with my 9300 aspire. When i took it out the box 2 months ago it bluescreened irql not less or equal but as i was installing xp pro instead of the vista it came with this fixed it.
    I havnt had any other problems except with the sound when playing any sort of sound file mp3 ect it skips/distorts. I have tracked this down to something to do with the wireless as it only does this this when connected. when the wireless is offline the skipping stops. i have updated the drivers but nothing seams to make a difference.
    thx,
    garry

Try doing a restore on the machine...could be an O/S issue. if it continues to do it after a restore contact us on 0044 870 803 4915 to have the issue looked at. It could be a faulty hdd that isn't up to speed...but could be something further as the description of when it happens seems a bit different to the usual diagnosis

• Advertisement

deedebee wrote: »
    Hi there.

I bought an Acer aspire 5024wlmi about 16 months ago and have been very happy apart from the cd-dvd reader ( slimtype dvdrw sosw-833s).

I had problems from the beginning and after looking around what the issue might be, i've noticed that all the slimtype dvdrw sosw-833s have issues. The internet is full of threads about slimtype dvdrw sosw-833s.

While i mostly use harddrives to access my data, I can't use my cd-dvd drive whenever i have some software or other to install and it really starts to annoy me.

I tried to look for drivers for above hardware, but there doesn't seem anything on it and it seems Acer has just swept it under the carpet and doesn't want to address the issue.

Here's a link to the issueshttp://www.google.ie/search?q=slimtype+dvdrw+sosw-833s&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a

NO acer support whatsoever. Totaly ignored.

Is there anyway acer can adress the issue and help me out?

Ps. Am working for a medium sized company , and while i've been very happy apart from the above, it might influence my approach for future purchases the company might require.

Simply send the unit up to us and we will replace the drive with a new one if it is under warranty and faulty...which by sounds of it, it is. If the fault wasn't reported to us within the warranty period and when you bought the unit we can't be held responsible for it still not working.

mr.wiggle wrote: »
    Hi Acer, I have an Acer Aspire 3000 for tghe past two years, and never had any trouble with it. That is until yesterday when the power cable was pulled out and the power pin on the mother board came out with it.
    Am I screwed?

Thanks in advance, W.

It usually means having to replace the board which can be quite expensive. Contact us on 0044 870 803 4915 for more info on price. You could ask one of the guys would they possibly try soldering it but that depends if just the actual pin has come out or the whole socket itself which the pin was attached too has come off?

bara66as wrote: »
    Acer Aspire 5570 cursor goes crazy after unit has been plugged in for couple of hours. If I pull plug and switch to battery it functions okay. Also keyboard misses letters no matter how hard or accurately I type. Finally, the 'hooks' for snapping shut the laptop snapped off after a week of gentle usage. Bought this computer in States and am not willing to mail it overseas for repairs.

Very disappointing. Didn't expect a great computer for the price, but this thing is barely functioning. Have re-typed most of this message because of missing letters.

Any suggestions?

To date we have never see hinges just fall off by themselves without some sort of user error or force used.

As for the keys...it just needs the keyboard replaced. The first issue would need further testing by the technicians.

Unfortunately i assume you live here and are therefore not covered under the standard UK & Ireland warranty terms. You could contact our sales guys on 048 4066 9640 to talk about getting a international travellers warranty and if it is possible on your model and case.

That is all replies done since our last technician was online. Sorry for the delay in response to the above...very busy this time of year. Any further issues please do post them and we will do our best to respond as quickly as we can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 John Mayo

I have an Acer Aspire 3000 laptop.

I would like to determine the whether the problem with the internal drive ‘slim type DVDRW SOSW-833S’ is with the hardware, its Driver, or some other problem.

The cd/dvd drive has decided not to co-operate with cd’s, it will not read them (it reads and writes to DVD‘s OK). If a CD is inserted the drive appears to continually run (as if searching for information). I have purchased an external CD/DVD drive which works very well, so at least I have the functions available.

A search of the internet reveals that problems with this particular drive appear to be quite common (although it is not possible to determine how many have no problems). There are many offers to carry out Registry checks, but all that I have looked at carry out the check for free, but will only clear the anomalies found on the parting of hard earned cash.

So how can I check that the issue is not with the Driver?
    From Device Manager/DVD CD-ROM Drives/slim line………/properties/driver:
    The driver type is Microsoft
    Driver date 01/07/2001
    Driver version 5.1.2535.0

Since the DVD side functions OK, then can I presume that the optical system of the drive is OK? Or are there focussing/positioning issues when used for CD’s that could point to a hardware problem?

At this point my 70 year old organic computer goes into sleep mode.

Can you help?

Regards
    John Mayo

• Registered Users Posts: 15 jarri

I have an Aspire 3690 bought in Tesco during the summer. I had problems

with it from the day I bought it. Every time I left a windows update download

I.E. explorer would stop working and just give me a dll error so I woould have

to do a system restore. this was from day one. All my downloads regardsless

would stop a 99% and ctrl alt and del is the only thing would remove it from

the screen. Other various software wouldn't also. So fed up with this I

inserted the windows upgrade Cd that came with the laptop and it re

installed vista then a while after it started asking for a cd key tried the

numbers on the cd cover with no luck and tried the cd key for the vista

certificate thats stuck on the laptop, no joy here again. i am no locked out of

the PC it wont let me do anything till the cd key issue is sorted out. Please

please can anybody sort this out.

John Mayo wrote: »
    I have an Acer Aspire 3000 laptop.

I would like to determine the whether the problem with the internal drive ‘slim type DVDRW SOSW-833S’ is with the hardware, its Driver, or some other problem.

The cd/dvd drive has decided not to co-operate with cd’s, it will not read them (it reads and writes to DVD‘s OK). If a CD is inserted the drive appears to continually run (as if searching for information). I have purchased an external CD/DVD drive which works very well, so at least I have the functions available.

A search of the internet reveals that problems with this particular drive appear to be quite common (although it is not possible to determine how many have no problems). There are many offers to carry out Registry checks, but all that I have looked at carry out the check for free, but will only clear the anomalies found on the parting of hard earned cash.

So how can I check that the issue is not with the Driver?
    From Device Manager/DVD CD-ROM Drives/slim line………/properties/driver:
    The driver type is Microsoft
    Driver date 01/07/2001
    Driver version 5.1.2535.0

Since the DVD side functions OK, then can I presume that the optical system of the drive is OK? Or are there focussing/positioning issues when used for CD’s that could point to a hardware problem?

At this point my 70 year old organic computer goes into sleep mode.

Can you help?

Regards
    John Mayo

Is the unit in warranty? You can contact our service centre on 0870 803 4915 to have the unit booked in to be diagnosed further with our testing equipment.

jarri wrote: »
    I have an Aspire 3690 bought in Tesco during the summer. I had problems

with it from the day I bought it. Every time I left a windows update download

I.E. explorer would stop working and just give me a dll error so I woould have

to do a system restore. this was from day one. All my downloads regardsless

would stop a 99% and ctrl alt and del is the only thing would remove it from

the screen. Other various software wouldn't also. So fed up with this I

inserted the windows upgrade Cd that came with the laptop and it re

installed vista then a while after it started asking for a cd key tried the

numbers on the cd cover with no luck and tried the cd key for the vista

certificate thats stuck on the laptop, no joy here again. i am no locked out of

the PC it wont let me do anything till the cd key issue is sorted out. Please

please can anybody sort this out.

Is that the CD you got to convert your laptop from XP to Vista from the free upgrade Microsoft and Acer were running? Unless the unit does it before you do anything else to it then it can be software your installing. Hardware is unlikely to cause the software issues you are describing but unless we get a full stress test done on the machine we won't know if components are being intermitent. Please contact the service centre on +44 (0) 870 803 4915 to book it in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 jenniferfh

If the laptop lids are opened with one hand in one corner it creates a heavy stress point on the hinges. A replacement cover is usually £35 and fitting and shipping to and from the service centre would probably be £55
    There is NO WAY my laptop lid can be opened with 2 hands and never could be. One hand is needed to hold the keyboard section down as the hinges are so tight. And as for opening in one corner - the catch is in the centre of the lid and that is where I open it from.

Additionally, it's actually the closing operation that stresses the hinges in a way that cracks the lid. Opening the lid actually closes up the cracks.

JH

• Registered Users Posts: 15 jarri

Is that the CD you got to convert your laptop from XP to Vista from the free upgrade Microsoft and Acer were running? Unless the unit does it before you do anything else to it then it can be software your installing. Hardware is unlikely to cause the software issues you are describing but unless we get a full stress test done on the machine we won't know if components are being intermitent. Please contact the service centre on +44 (0) 870 803 4915 to book it in.

Hi Acerwarraty The laptop came with vista on it the CD I am reffering to is an

Acer CD Windows Anytime Upgrade. Will ring tomorrow thanks for the prompt

reply.

Jarri

• Advertisement

jenniferfh wrote: »
    There is NO WAY my laptop lid can be opened with 2 hands and never could be. One hand is needed to hold the keyboard section down as the hinges are so tight. And as for opening in one corner - the catch is in the centre of the lid and that is where I open it from.

Additionally, it's actually the closing operation that stresses the hinges in a way that cracks the lid. Opening the lid actually closes up the cracks.

JH

Stress is put on both ways...just different parts are pulled and pushed on the chassis parts and the parts that connect the covers, etc. If you want to call the service centre on +44 (0) 870 803 4915 they will advise if it will be covered under warranty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 John Mayo

Is the unit in warranty? You can contact our service centre on 0870 803 4915 to have the unit booked in to be diagnosed further with our testing equipment.

The laptop is out of warranty. I have contacted the service centre. I have been advised:
    1. DVD/CD drives are only available for in warranty Acer Aspire 3000's.
    2. If they were available for out of warranty equipment, they would cost £150.
    3. The SOSW-833S drives have bespoke firmware to enable use with the Aspire 3000 motherboard, hence a generic slimline dvd/cd drive would not work (without the bespoke firmware).
    4. I was advised to use an external drive, which I had already done.

Under the circumstances there is little point in the cost of sending the unit for testing, since the drive would not be available (if required for the repair).

Thank you for your assistance.

Regards
    John Mayo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 alan_co9

Hi, I am trying to fix a laptop for my friend. Its an Acer Travel Mate 2423. All I need to do is reinstall the sound driver for him but I cant seem to find one on the Acer site, the travel mates listed are 2310, 2350, 2400, 2410, 2420, 2430 and so on but nothing for the 2423. Could you give me a link to a driver or will one of them work?

-Alan-

alan_co9 wrote: »
    Hi, I am trying to fix a laptop for my friend. Its an Acer Travel Mate 2423. All I need to do is reinstall the sound driver for him but I cant seem to find one on the Acer site, the travel mates listed are 2310, 2350, 2400, 2410, 2420, 2430 and so on but nothing for the 2423. Could you give me a link to a driver or will one of them work?

-Alan-

Hi,

the acer 2423 is a model inside of the 2420 series.

Thanks

Richard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 alan_co9

Hi,

the acer 2423 is a model inside of the 2420 series.

Thanks

Richard

Thanks for you help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 enyyubfa

Hi,

I've had an Acer 8204 WLMi running Win XP Pro for over 18 months and now out of warranty. Recently it has completely failed on me, I was running it as normal then I got a Blue Screen of Death error for about 2 seconds and then the screen went blank but the fan was still running.

When I switched off and switched on again the fan, HDD and DVD come on as normal but the computer just has a blank screen, not even the Acer splash screen comes up.

Hope you can help?

enyyubfa wrote: »
    Hi,

I've had an Acer 8204 WLMi running Win XP Pro for over 18 months and now out of warranty. Recently it has completely failed on me, I was running it as normal then I got a Blue Screen of Death error for about 2 seconds and then the screen went blank but the fan was still running.

When I switched off and switched on again the fan, HDD and DVD come on as normal but the computer just has a blank screen, not even the Acer splash screen comes up.

Hope you can help?

Unfortunately it sounds like a hardware failure. Best to contact the service centre on 0044870 803 4915 and get a price for a mb

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭katieboo

Hi Acer,

I recently purchased an Acer Aspire 5050 but I have noticed that the screen only fully lights up when the battery is plugged in. So if i am working off the battery and not the power supply it is quite hard to see the screen, any suggestions?

Thanks

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

katieboo wrote: »
    Hi Acer,

I recently purchased an Acer Aspire 5050 but I have noticed that the screen only fully lights up when the battery is plugged in. So if i am working off the battery and not the power supply it is quite hard to see the screen, any suggestions?

Thanks

I am not from acer but generally the screen is a bit darker when running on battery (well on every laptop I've seen which isn't much) this is to conserve the battery and give better battery life. You might be able to change the brightness level in the bios. It's probably set at 70 or 80% when on battery.

• Advertisement

katieboo wrote: »
    Hi Acer,

Thanks

Hi,

its a battery saving method. To re-adjust, simply hold the FN (beside CTRL) key down while pressing the Right Arrow key and it will adjust it instantly

Thanks

Richard

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement