Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acer Laptop Support - Tech support only, read the rules or you will be banned

Options

Comments

Thank you for the quick reply, and for the good news. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 John Doherty

i need restore disc for aspire 5051AWXMi
    by the way, this case was too easily scratched imho, and since i've had it, it looks alot older from the scratches, is there anything i can get to paint over it before i sell it??
    i'm talking about the silver specifically, a guy told me plasti-kote, but i don't think it'll work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭patzer117

Hi Acer Warranty,

I have an Acer Aspire 5020 series and I want to know how often the hinges break on the screen. It's happened to my laptop (i can post pictures if you like) and I can't afford to get it fixed right now, with both losing it for a month, and the money aspect.
    It seems to be a fairly common occurrence based on other forums, as do things like the dvd drive cover falling off.
    Also, as all consumer goods come with an automatic 6 year guarantee in the Republic of Ireland and Great Britain, I'm wondering do you honour that, or do I have to go through the shop I bought my laptop from?

Also any idea how much a new battery would be?

And what happened to your repair service in Dublin? I know they weren't very good, but at least you didn't have the risk of the dodgy courier tales this forum tells

cheers

patzer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mattsylv

Hello,

Bought mine in Feb this year from Tesco. It's running Vista and today just decided to not boot.

Startup repair says that it can't fix the problem, I have no restore points (I did!) and if I click the PC restore button I come up wth an error.

I can't enter safe mode but I can enter dos so I've managed to copy everything from c: to d:. There is also an x: and it has something called Factory.

How do I do a restore so that I can get my laptop back to the original state without losing what's on d: and, since it didn't come with any disks, will this restor Vista correctly?

Thanks

Matt

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

Could the Acer rep please reply to my PMs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

NeoSlicerZ wrote:
    Could the Acer rep please reply to my PMs.

This is an unofficial support forum. I personally think your best bet is to contact them directly if you are getting no response here.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 jarri

I recently purchased an Acer 3690 Series from Tesco. The problems I have since the first Boot is as soon as windows Auto updates Internet Explorer goes down. Also all files downloaded stop at 99% even though the file has downloaded and the dialogue box can only be closed with the task manager.
    There are some issues with Microsoft Office but one thing at a time eh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Acer Service

Hi,

Sorry for the delay, I will have a look at outstanding posts today.

i need restore disc for aspire 5051AWXMi
    by the way, this case was too easily scratched imho, and since i've had it, it looks alot older from the scratches, is there anything i can get to paint over it before i sell it??
    i'm talking about the silver specifically, a guy told me plasti-kote, but i don't think it'll work.

Hi,

We can sell you recovery media, however, there is a hidden partition on your machine that should enable you to recover the operating system on your laptop.

patzer117 wrote:
    Hi Acer Warranty,

I have an Acer Aspire 5020 series and I want to know how often the hinges break on the screen. It's happened to my laptop (i can post pictures if you like) and I can't afford to get it fixed right now, with both losing it for a month, and the money aspect.
    It seems to be a fairly common occurrence based on other forums, as do things like the dvd drive cover falling off.
    Also, as all consumer goods come with an automatic 6 year guarantee in the Republic of Ireland and Great Britain, I'm wondering do you honour that, or do I have to go through the shop I bought my laptop from?

Also any idea how much a new battery would be?

And what happened to your repair service in Dublin? I know they weren't very good, but at least you didn't have the risk of the dodgy courier tales this forum tells

cheers

patzer

Hi,

In order to avail of the automatic 6 year warranty (I thought it was 5 years, but you may be right) the issue needs to be a known issue coming from the factory defective (but presenting itself after the 1 year warranty has passed). A good example is the sunroof on all 106 cars leaks after about 4 years so they accepted blame for that.

However, Acer have never said that the breaking/cracking hinge issue is a known default and put it down to mishandling of the unit, thus meaning you cannot avail of this unless you hire two independent engineers at your own expense to prove otherwise at your own cost in court (I realise this is excessive, but it's the law as far as I'm aware). They do however as a customer service offer replacement of the plastic part under the first years warranty as good will free of charge.

A new battery would be £80 inc shipping and VAT.

I'm not aware of any repair center in Dublin, there are 2 shops in ROI that repair their own machines, but only their machines.

• Advertisement

mattsylv wrote:
    Hello,

Bought mine in Feb this year from Tesco. It's running Vista and today just decided to not boot.

Startup repair says that it can't fix the problem, I have no restore points (I did!) and if I click the PC restore button I come up wth an error.

I can't enter safe mode but I can enter dos so I've managed to copy everything from c: to d:. There is also an x: and it has something called Factory.

How do I do a restore so that I can get my laptop back to the original state without losing what's on d: and, since it didn't come with any disks, will this restor Vista correctly?

Thanks

Matt

Hi Matt,

Short answer, yes. The partition make up of any acer unit is as follows. 1 Hard disk drive split into 3 partitions named PQSERVICE(FACTORY IN SOME VISTA MACHINES), ACER & ACERDATA(SOMETIMES DATA). The PQSERVICE partition is a compressed copy of windows, you can utilise this by either making the PQSERVICE the active partition or using the shortcut Alt+F10 just after the ACER splash screen disappears (you need to tap the keys at the same time but dont hold them down). This will recover the units software

jarri wrote:
    I recently purchased an Acer 3690 Series from Tesco. The problems I have since the first Boot is as soon as windows Auto updates Internet Explorer goes down. Also all files downloaded stop at 99% even though the file has downloaded and the dialogue box can only be closed with the task manager.
    There are some issues with Microsoft Office but one thing at a time eh!

I hate to sound like technical support, but this would be a microsft issue. Contact them. We have seen no evidance of that model having any issues with microsft software. Alternatively, bite the bullet and recover the system after a full backup, that should remove any errors you are experiencing and clean your system down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 John Doherty

Hi,

We can sell you recovery media, however, there is a hidden partition on your machine that should enable you to recover the operating system on your laptop.

hi

no, paritition, everything wiped, need to buy disc.
    where should i go for it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 pinga

Hi there
    I bought an Aspire 3500 laptop almost exactly two years ago. The warranty is expired. Last night, while watching a dvd, part of the monitor display quickly faded. It now seems like a permanent change in the monitor -- a vertical band about 10 cm wide that is lighter than the rest of the display on the left hand side of the monitor. I turned it off all night and on reboot, it is still the same. No adjustments to the display in the control panel change anything. Is it worth fixing (i.e. is the repair worth more than the laptop)? What kind of problem does this point to?
    Thanks for any help.
    KR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 seandeg

Hi,

I have an Acer Aspire 5003wlmi. The wireless device is described as "Acer InviLink". How can I find out what chip set/ what actual device is used ?
    Reason being I want try out other operating systems so need actual chipset info. to help choose drivers to try.

Thanks, Sean

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Raggamuffin

Hi,

Just a short question as to where I can find a replacement charger for my acer aspire 5020 series laptop Model no. MS2171, unfortunate incident of charger falling out of burst suitcase.

I have looked at the universal chargers but none seem to list the 5020 series as compatible. Which other models does the 5020 series share the same charger features with?

Thank You

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭Quball15

Hey there,

I bought the first Acer Ferrari lmi 3000, about 4 years ago now. had lots of problems with it over the last year and its finally given up. Well, it boots past the bios, and then blue screens when tring to load windows.

I had someone look at it, and this is the report they gave:

Failed File Structure Test
    Freezing during mem tests
    Chkdsk repaired HDD sectors
    Booting fully(minimal signs of disk errors in sys logs)
    Not shutting off due to overheating (sys board temp remaining constant)
    Faulty battery
    Would need new battery

Replacing a hdd is no problem and the battery was always terrible so it was always plugged in. So apart from those, the overheating problem seems to be the big problem which could be cost prohibitive to repair.

Can anyone give advice based on the tech report on what would need repairing? and possible costs involved

thanks for any help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 IconoclastCynic

Hi, thanks in advance for the free tech support. It isn't common you see good-hearted people do this kind of stuff and I really appreciate it.

Anyways, my girlfriend has an Acer Aspire 5050. I'm not sure how relevent this information is but I'll throw it in anyways. A while back she decided she didn't like the way they partitioned it (giving 10 gigs to the Windows backup stuff or whatever it is) so she used Symantic's Partition Magic to combine the partitions.

Shortly after this, she started receiving errors and **** about the computer not recognizing the OS. So she and I decided to just reformat. We made a single partition in the NTFS file system and attempted to install Windows XP Home. During installation, progress stopped and after several minutes of idle it gave an error about the hard drive.

So, assuming something went wrong with the hard drive, we replaced it with a spare 160 GB hard drive that I had and went through the process of installing Windows on it again. Same ****, same errors.

I have done some crude research and made some attempts to resolve the issue with my limited resources. I think we even flashed the BIOS at one point (I don't remember too well, it was quite some time ago.)

Anyways, from what we can tell, the problem is the motherboard. She's decided that she's just going to send it in to Acer and have them fix it, but, I wanted to see if you guys had any suggestions before she did that.

Thanks again in advance. If possible, e-mail your response to IconoclastCynic@hotmail.com as I seldom use forums. I'll do my best to check back periodically in case you can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,014 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I have an acer aspire 5633 with a broken screen.(Lcd screen is physically broken, it looks like black ink in the bottom right corner... i dropped it!!) Any where i could buy a replacement screen or any chance of getting it replaced, i've bought it about 9 months ago. I appreciate any reply

hi

no, paritition, everything wiped, need to buy disc.
    where should i go for it?

Try this number, 0044870 853 1000. They should sell you a set of disks.

• Advertisement

pinga wrote:
    Hi there
    I bought an Aspire 3500 laptop almost exactly two years ago. The warranty is expired. Last night, while watching a dvd, part of the monitor display quickly faded. It now seems like a permanent change in the monitor -- a vertical band about 10 cm wide that is lighter than the rest of the display on the left hand side of the monitor. I turned it off all night and on reboot, it is still the same. No adjustments to the display in the control panel change anything. Is it worth fixing (i.e. is the repair worth more than the laptop)? What kind of problem does this point to?
    Thanks for any help.
    KR

Sounds like a faulty LCD panel, expensive repair I'm afraid. Contact us on 0044870 803 4915 to discuss this further

Hi,

Just a short question as to where I can find a replacement charger for my acer aspire 5020 series laptop Model no. MS2171, unfortunate incident of charger falling out of burst suitcase.

I have looked at the universal chargers but none seem to list the 5020 series as compatible. Which other models does the 5020 series share the same charger features with?

Thank You

I can sell you one, 0044870 803 4915.

I have an acer aspire 5633 with a broken screen.(Lcd screen is physically broken, it looks like black ink in the bottom right corner... i dropped it!!) Any where i could buy a replacement screen or any chance of getting it replaced, i've bought it about 9 months ago. I appreciate any reply

Yep, new LCD panel. Call us on 0044870 803 4915 for a quaotation for repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 huanas777

hi, acer service,

I have acer aspiron 5100 bl51 with xp home. the problem is, that the keyboard and touchpad wont work when im trying to log in. in fact it doesnt even work if im pressing f2to get in bios. it doesnt work at all. i tryed usb keyboard but no luck. any advise?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 pictish

hi there,
    i am currently having issues with my 9300 aspire. When i took it out the box 2 months ago it bluescreened irql not less or equal but as i was installing xp pro instead of the vista it came with this fixed it.
    I havnt had any other problems except with the sound when playing any sort of sound file mp3 ect it skips/distorts. I have tracked this down to something to do with the wireless as it only does this this when connected. when the wireless is offline the skipping stops. i have updated the drivers but nothing seams to make a difference.
    thx,
    garry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 deedebee

Hi there.

I bought an Acer aspire 5024wlmi about 16 months ago and have been very happy apart from the cd-dvd reader ( slimtype dvdrw sosw-833s).

I had problems from the beginning and after looking around what the issue might be, i've noticed that all the slimtype dvdrw sosw-833s have issues. The internet is full of threads about slimtype dvdrw sosw-833s.

While i mostly use harddrives to access my data, I can't use my cd-dvd drive whenever i have some software or other to install and it really starts to annoy me.

I tried to look for drivers for above hardware, but there doesn't seem anything on it and it seems Acer has just swept it under the carpet and doesn't want to address the issue.

Here's a link to the issueshttp://www.google.ie/search?q=slimtype+dvdrw+sosw-833s&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a

NO acer support whatsoever. Totaly ignored.

Is there anyway acer can adress the issue and help me out?

Ps. Am working for a medium sized company , and while i've been very happy apart from the above, it might influence my approach for future purchases the company might require.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

deedebee wrote: »
    NO acer support whatsoever. Totaly ignored.

Is there anyway acer can adress the issue and help me out?

Ps. Am working for a medium sized company , and while i've been very happy apart from the above, it might influence my approach for future purchases the company might require.

These are the kind of comments that will get you banned around here. I made it quite clear this is not an official Acer support forum - the guys are doing this out of the goodness of their heart. Venting about Acer on an internet forum will not get your problem sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭mr.wiggle

Hi Acer, I have an Acer Aspire 3000 for tghe past two years, and never had any trouble with it. That is until yesterday when the power cable was pulled out and the power pin on the mother board came out with it.
    Am I screwed?

Thanks in advance, W.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 bara66as

Acer Aspire 5570 cursor goes crazy after unit has been plugged in for couple of hours. If I pull plug and switch to battery it functions okay. Also keyboard misses letters no matter how hard or accurately I type. Finally, the 'hooks' for snapping shut the laptop snapped off after a week of gentle usage. Bought this computer in States and am not willing to mail it overseas for repairs.

Very disappointing. Didn't expect a great computer for the price, but this thing is barely functioning. Have re-typed most of this message because of missing letters.

Any suggestions?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 FreekyGeek

Hi Acer Service guy,
    I've been reading the posts here and I think you helping out here in Boards.ie is a great idea ;)
    Anyway, down to business -a query. I bought an Acer 7520 about a week ago(the infamous Tesco deal!) And I'm happy with it. But... I noticed a few days ago that when the laptop is charging there is a very faint, high pitched hissing noise coming from the battery. It stops making this noise when I plug out the charger. And it doesn't matter if the laptop is switched on or off, as long as the charger is plugged in the hiss is there.
    The battery does get a little warm when charging but I figure that's normal.
    If it helps the battery model number (I think) is AS07B31.

This is my first laptop so I'm not sure if this noise is suppose to be there (:o)?
    Should I start looking for another battery?

Thanks in advance for any advise.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement