Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Siberian Husky

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Spitfire666

it will be a while before i get it sorted, i think it might be a bit too much for one dog to pull so i'll be waiting till i get a second one before getting it set up.

and that could be 6months to a year down the line.

ISDW wrote: »
    But you're assuming that people leave them alone unattended and bored. I used to have to go out to work, and my two dogs were home alone during the day. I would get up early, they would get a 40 minute walk before I went to work, they had each other for company, a dog flap so they could go in and out all day if they wanted. They would then get at least another hour in the evenings. I know that when I am at home with my lot, they tend to sleep most of the day. Also people may employ a dog walker during the day, or leave kongs etc for their dogs to make sure they don't get bored. The pounds and rescues are full of dogs as it is, if anybody who had a job couldn't have a dog, there would be hundreds of thousands of extra dogs being pts every year.

Your questions:

Huskies don't need that much space, as long as they get lots of exercise, however, this has to be on lead. They do need a totally secure garden, with fencing at least 6 foot high, if they can't go over it, they will go under it. Yes, you could probably bring the dog to work with you in a jeep, but you would probably have to leave it in the jeep would you? I have had to replace quite a few seatbelts that have been chewed by dogs left in the car for a little while.

They are not good with livestock, unfortunately a lot of them get shot or run over, so I don't know what your business will be, but unless you're going into securely fenced areas, I'd be very careful.

Huskies are weird creatures. Yes they need a lot of exercise, but then other days, they are quite happy to sleep for 24 hours - usually on the couch.

wo wo wo wo calm down, no need to get so defensive there. I said "If" and was referring to whether the dog was bored or not. If the dog is not bored and is happy etc etc then all good. Firstly, I said this was a personal opinion of mine. Secondly, I was referring to those owners who buy a dog and don't give it the correct attention, no need to take it personally.

Thanks for answering my questions. Yeah I read a huge thread over on Dogsey (forum) about how some owners sware by keeping the dog on the lead due to their high prey factor and then the ODD one or two who say there dog is fine off the lead.

Personally, I wouldn't risk it, I'd get a 100 foot lead and give it loads of stuff to do to entertain it/keep it busy, I also know how fast and how far they can run because when I was in Brazil, I saw a guy with 6 of them and his girlfriend let one of them off the lead (by mistake), and it ran constantly and very far sniffing something in the air intensively so that "focus" they get when they get a scent pretty much makes them deaf in my experience from what I saw. In fact, the only reason they got the dog back was because the park was bigger than Phoenix Park(so lots of running was done) and the dog found something else to stop and do.

i was thinking of getting one of these and modding it to take harness attachments. there nice and light and the big balloon tyres absorb alot of bumps.
    xxracer01.jpg

Brilliant idea, that's what I'd want too. Do you think it would be difficult to mount a disk brake to it ? How much are the kite racers anyway ?

not if your handy with a bit of minor fabrication.
    wouldnt take too much to mount a set of discs from a small mountain bike onto one.

you can pay anything from 200quid right up to 2grand for a race buggy.
    theres some interesting build threads online for them and i may even try making one from scratch.
    an easy way to do it would be to use bike wheels to begin with but i want the baloon tyres to give some cushioning.

How long would you reckon it would take to make one ? It looks easy enough to build.

• Advertisement

i've never built one so i'm not sure. it'll be easy enough to make a basic one though. a day would have most of it done.
    the hard part would be making sure both sides are even and that the seat is done right so you dont hit your arse off the ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭leelee_m

Hi Guys just wanted to let you know that the All Ireland Siberian Husky Club, which is the IKC recognized national breed club for Siberian huskies, now has a website!

http://www.allirelandsiberianhuskyclub.webs.com

So for anyone thinking about getting a husky or looking for info check it out!
    Over time more info etc will be added.
    :)

Exactly what I was trying to find on Google.ie a few minutes ago ! Excellent !

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭drakshug

Can you just make sure that they are Huskies and not laikas. People getting my mutt mixed up with a husky really irks me.
    A husky pulls a sled. A west Siberian laika hunts.
    Using a West sib to pull a sled is like chopping wood with a fine sword.

Advertisement