Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Siberian Husky

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭aaronsbz

if anyone wants to see my pup i dont no how to upload pics on this but heres a link to a pic of him

http://www.bebo.com/PhotoAlbumBig.jsp?MemberId=3731106184&PhotoAlbumId=10469537085&PhotoId=10469551442

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

aaronsbz wrote: »
    no i didn he lives in monaghhan but ill say it to the vet tonight even dough i think its just him dreaming like or having a nightmare....

Sorry, I'm not having a go at you, but I'm just interested as you want to show the dog, so you obviously think that he's good enough and from good lines. If you didn't go to the breeder's house, where did you meet him, and how did you know that he would be of show standard?

ISDW wrote: »
    Sorry, I'm not having a go at you, but I'm just interested as you want to show the dog, so you obviously think that he's good enough and from good lines. If you didn't go to the breeder's house, where did you meet him, and how did you know that he would be of show standard?

i did go to the breeders house to get him i went up there to view him then a scond view and then to collect him i ment i didn go up to him about the dog shaking and gaging in his sleep i said ill ask the vet tonight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭leelee_m

if anyone wants to see my pup i dont no how to upload pics on this but heres a link to a pic of him

http://www.bebo.com/PhotoAlbumBig.jsp?MemberId=3731106184&PhotoAlbumId=10469537085&PhotoId=10469551442

Awww, he is just gorgeous!!! a total cutie! :D

leelee_m wrote: »
    Awww, he is just gorgeous!!! a total cutie! :D

yeah i no isnt he haha .......
    emm do siberian huskys usualy get attached to one person because he seems to cry anytime i go out the room and wen im in the room he jus sits down right under my legs and he kinda just follows me around the whole time no matter if its in to the kitchen or up the stairs haha.......

• Advertisement

yeah i no isnt he haha .......
    emm do siberian huskys usualy get attached to one person because he seems to cry anytime i go out the room and wen im in the room he jus sits down right under my legs and he kinda just follows me around the whole time no matter if its in to the kitchen or up the stairs haha.......

Well they're a breed who will love everyone but if your the main person who does everything for them and they particularly spend most of their time with you then they will form a bond with you. at the same time though they can be fiercely independent!!! my girl often picks and chooses when she wants to listen to me and will often ignore me! and then she'll jump on the bed and be super affectionate licking the face off me! :)

leelee_m wrote: »
    Well they're a breed who will love everyone but if your the main person who does everything for them and they particularly spend most of their time with you then they will form a bond with you. at the same time though they can be fiercely independent!!! my girl often picks and chooses when she wants to listen to me and will often ignore me! and then she'll jump on the bed and be super affectionate licking the face off me! :)

yeah my dog is the same about the picking and choosing haha
    yeah i was wondering .... must be because i feed him etc..

yeah my dog is the same about the picking and choosing haha
    yeah i was wondering .... must be because i feed him etc..

They're funny like that, they'll love you but also they love to do their own thing! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Ha ha yeah mine will follow me around te house from room to room and lie at my feet etc but he likes his alone time in his dog bed in the evenings too, Our dogs look fiercly alike aswell i wonder if it was the same breeder , heres a pic of my dog Busker after his first bath, he smelled so bad he is 9 weeks old.

http://file046b.bebo.com/15/large/2009/04/01/13/537652216a10490102883l.jpg

Irishcrx wrote: »
    Ha ha yeah mine will follow me around te house from room to room and lie at my feet etc but he likes his alone time in his dog bed in the evenings too, Our dogs look fiercly alike aswell i wonder if it was the same breeder , heres a pic of my dog Busker after his first bath, he smelled so bad he is 9 weeks old.

http://file046b.bebo.com/15/large/2009/04/01/13/537652216a10490102883l.jpg

yeah mine looks exactly the same after a wash and hes 9 weeks aswell i dunno i got mine in monaghan and there was only one other pure white male who was identical to mine but he said he was keeping him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 bogtriller

Hi,

I am living in Dublin and am looking to buy a Siberian Husky pup for my mum, I was wondering if anyone know of people selling and who are close to dublin?

Thanks in advance.
    Damien

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭cloudy day

Fair play aaronsbz. Ya sound like a sound lad. Hope ya have many good years with your dog.

I don't recall if any of the others mentioned worming ? Pups need to be done regularly. ISDW is a proffesional when it comes to sibes so I'm sure she'll be able to offer you the best advice.

I rehomed a sibe and she's massive though and very sweet and loving. very easy to keep. I do notice though she's not one for playing with the other dogs, or actually bothering much with them at all ?

andrawolf wrote: »
    Have been called a puppy farm.I HAVE ONE BITCH WHO IS TWO AND NEVER BEEN BRED. She has been to show and done really well. I am discused at scots sib wellfare. I had been contacted by a person who was moving down under, to see if I could buy her dog. I got in touch with the dogs breeder and discussed his breed and she agreed that I would make a good owner for him as I was wanting him for show. Scots sib welfare contacted her and said Don't send the dog to Ireland as we are all puppy farmers. The breeder new where I lived and she only works with quality dogs, she was happy to see him come here. People are really bad and I know there are people here just breeding to make money. But how can a person Like me get any where. I want more to show as I enjoy it and was able to get some best in shows with my bitch.
    PLEASE CAN ANYONE HELP

Hi. Unfortunately Ireland is known as the puppy farm capital. England and Wales also have P farm problems.

When you say you showed your bitch, was it an IKC show or a local agri dog show ? The two are very different. Andreac will be able to help you there as she shows a lot and is involved with show people.

A lot of breeders are putting restrictions on their pups so they can't be bred from when adults.

I'd imagine sibe welfare would be very picky about where the dog goes as she sounds like a rescue. Are you paying anything for this dog. You could caontact a rep sibe breeder here for a pup for showing.

Also I know they are called black boxers and are rare, but they are actually dark brindles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

bogtriller wrote: »
    Hi,

I am living in Dublin and am looking to buy a Siberian Husky pup for my mum, I was wondering if anyone know of people selling and who are close to dublin?

Thanks in advance.
    Damien

Hi mate,

If you check the IKC website there are official breeders in waterford, www.donedeal.ie also has breeders just be carefull that they are registered, wormed and vaccinated.

Also make sure you read up about the breed they really can be a handfull, need lots of exercise and to be watched as they escape very easily, just yesturday my puppy got loose when I was taking out the bins and the door blew open and bolted. I had to chase him all the way up and down to road narrowly avoiding both of us been hit by a car, if it wasn't for my other dog catching him I don't know if I would have been able to eventually get a hold of him.

However they are a wonderfull dog, very loving, forgiving, playfull and make wonderfull companians with the right care. Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 bogtriller

Hi Irishcrx,

Thanks for the reply and advice. I will have a look on these sites.

Kind Regards

Please be careful where you buy your pup and try to get reccommended to a rep breeder.

There was a woman recently who bought her pup from, i think wexford, and it turned out to be very sick and i think it died. She got no comeback or help from the breeder after.

If you want more info on Sibes there is an Irish Sled dog Wefare website, the lady is very nice.

Hope you get a nice pup.

Yeah studie hard and talk to all the breeders . It took me about 8 months to get mine .

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭fionav3

Yeah studie hard and talk to all the breeders . It took me about 8 months to get mine .

Took me almost as long. I went to all the shows, questioned sib owners left, right and centre and eventually found a fantastic breeder. I agree that they're a lot of work though and hope anyone considering getting one researchs the breed to death so you're fully aware of the disadvantages as well as the advantages. Fabulous, affectionate dogs but deserve an owner willing to put lots of work into them. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Spitfire666

I love these dogs and have been thinking about getting one for a while now.
    I have had two dogs from young pups while growing up, a German Shepherd when i was very very young which my dad raised for around 15years and when i was a bit older and my sister was young, we got a west highland terrier who we also had for over 15 years which sadly died of old age 2 years ago.

i was going to get a rescue dog but to be honest, the idea of raising a dog myself from a pup and training him now that i am older and able to really put the effort in to make him a loyal friend has changed my mind and now i am looking for a male pup.
    i have a huge garden as i am living in the midlands and have started building a dog run and some other things for when i get him in an area of the garden (about 400square feet) and i also have access to a large forrested field which i used to take the other dogs for long walks through which they enjoyed.

i have been looking at breeders and sites with info on them and i have noticed that alot of people are quick to judge people and give out that people are only interested in making money from pups, and you should go to a breader to get your pup,

but surely the breeders are not doing it soley for the love of the dog as if it was not about the money they would not be selling pups at 600-1000 euro each surely?
    i intend on getting a male pup and would love a black and white one with piercing blue eyes as i think they have a very mystical look about them.
    and of course, a lively pup from the litter.

i would like to train my dog well enough to give showing a go but it would be for fun rather then for trophies and i'd also love to get involved in scootering with my dog when he is older and have already thought about ways i could train a young dog to be used to pulling something behind him (an inflatable ball type device i have come up with so as not to weigh anything)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

The reason breeders charge more is because they do it right.

It costs a lot of money to get the dogs health tested and feed the correct food, have all the right equipment and the put all their time and effort to breed a litter from a bitch.

• Advertisement

If you want to give showing a go, then you need to go to a reputable breeder, who will have pups of show standard. THis is a link to the IKC list of breed clubs, and the siberian husky club is on there

http://www.ikc.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=17&Itemid=32

As AndreaC says, for a reputable breeder, it costs a lot of money to raise a litter. Sibes can suffer from hip dysplasia, so the sire and dam will have been hip scored, they can also suffer from eye problems, so should have had their eyes checked as well, again, more money. Then there is cost of good vet treatment during the dam's pregnancy and whelping and of course the cost of good food for the pups when they are born.

I love sibes, and some of my dogs that work in harness would never win a show, they are too big, or their tails curl too much:D so I'm not interested in show standard, but they are good workers. However, I would always recommend going to a reputable breeder if you want a pup, a breeder that knows the breed, whether it is for a show dog, working dog or a family pet.

i understand that there is a cost involved and i appritiate that fact. i wasnt expecting them to be cheap.
    my point was that some breeders have them for 600 while others have them at 900,
    and if they are all being takeb care of the the best standard, how can the price be so vastly differant?

@ISDW, can you tell me, is 800 the average price for a good healthy husky pup?

Spitfire666, If you intend on showing your pup then you will have to get a pup of show quality, for a pup that will be of show quality you will be looking at paying in the region of 1000 euro (that was true as of this time last year not sure if the economic climate has reduced that figure much?). The pups that breeders feel will be show quality are always sold at at a higher price than pups just going as pets.
    I show my Husky and its a great hobby! Be prepared to spend time training him every single day, you need to be persistent! Its alot of hard work but you both get so much out of it, it builds a stronger bond with your dog, teaches them obedience and keeps their minds stimulated! Best of luck finding your pup! :D

i understand that there is a cost involved and i appritiate that fact. i wasnt expecting them to be cheap.
    my point was that some breeders have them for 600 while others have them at 900,
    and if they are all being takeb care of the the best standard, how can the price be so vastly differant?

@ISDW, can you tell me, is 800 the average price for a good healthy husky pup?

The reason some are €600 and some €900 is that not all breeders are good breeders and won't be taking care of the mother and pups to the best standard. Puppy farmers are very good at hiding the fact that they are farmers. Make sure that you see evidence of the parent's healthchecks, don't take the breeders' word for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

I would also assume that the price is also dependent on how good a show dog they'd be too? And their lineage?
    My older Lhasa was given to someone as a present because she wasn't show worthy. We bought her for 150.
    My pup Lhasa could easily been shown - she's in great shape for that, she was 500euro.

But do ALWAYS check out the owners, see them in their home, see the parents, see their living space, request papers and be vigilant. Any reputable breeder will not mind you enquiring to these things.

thanks everyone, yeah, i would like a dog i could enter in the odd show but it would only be for fun, i wouldnt really be interested in winner big events or anything, just taking part so that would not be as important as finding an active pup who is healthy and i can train.
    i spent alot of time jogging accross the sand dunes with my german shepherd and when i moved down to the midlands jogging through the forest or cycling with him in the massive field here.
    these are things i would like to do with my next dog as it keeps me fit aswell ha ha.
    i have loads of time to gove the dog and am really looking forward to building his space in the back garden and improving it.

i will be really keen to see the breeders dogs and paper work belonging to them aswell as vet bills and receipts that they may have.
    i keep receipts for everything, i have a folder for every car i have ever owned with receipts for all sorts. even have petrol receipts for my classic car.
    i'll be doing the same with my dog. keeping a record of his history would be important i think.

If you want to work him, then I'd say that hip scores are very important. It would be awful if you had a lovely dog that couldn't run with you or work in harness because they had bad hips.

Best of luck.

from my understanding of it, "hip scores"
    would be given to the parents at shows and such is that right?
    and looking at the parents history would give me an idea of the likely condition the pups will grow up to be?

or do the pups themselves get hip scored?

sorry, my bad, hip scores are given when the vet sends off the x-ray (this has to go to the uk is it?) and they examine it,

my main question still stands though,
    will i be looking at the parents scores or would pupies have been scored that soon?

and if its the scores of the parents i'm looking at,
    when adding up a score, for example,
    sire is scored 3/3 and bitch is scored 2/3,
    sire scores 6 and bitch scores 5,
    do i just add these two and get the average as in 5.5 is the hipscore of the litter for the purpose of picking a litter to buy from?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

You just look at the scores of the parents. Theres an average score for each breed of dog so you would be looking at scores below the average if possible.

Theres no guarantee that because the parents are good that the puppies will be, but you still try to go with a good score on both sire and bitch to try to ensure that puppies will be healthy enough.

You dont add the mother and fathers score together. The scores of parents for example 3:3, means each hip is scored 3 points each.

• Advertisement

Dogs can't be hipscored until they are at least a year old, so it is only the parents scores that you can check.

In siberian huskies, any dog with a score over 10 shouldn't be used for breeding. So thats if a dog has 3:3, total 6 is fine, if it has 6:5, total 11, not good.

As andreac says, even if the parents have a good hipscore theres no guarantee that the pups will also have one when they're older, but it is an indication that they should be okay.

Advertisement