Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Siberian Husky

Options
  • 10-03-2007 5:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭

Have been called a puppy farm.I HAVE ONE BITCH WHO IS TWO AND NEVER BEEN BRED. She has been to show and done really well. I am discused at scots sib wellfare. I had been contacted by a person who was moving down under, to see if I could buy her dog. I got in touch with the dogs breeder and discussed his breed and she agreed that I would make a good owner for him as I was wanting him for show. Scots sib welfare contacted her and said Don't send the dog to Ireland as we are all puppy farmers. The breeder new where I lived and she only works with quality dogs, she was happy to see him come here. People are really bad and I know there are people here just breeding to make money. But how can a person Like me get any where. I want more to show as I enjoy it and was able to get some best in shows with my bitch.
    PLEASE CAN ANYONE HELP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Could you possibly explain again ... in English this time?

You want to get a dog from a private Person in Scotland?
    To show? To breed? For both?

Someone is preventing that sale from going ahead because they claim you have/are a puppy farm(er)?

Not quite clear ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Ok if I understand this

you have 1 siberian husky that you show?
    You have been offered another siberian husky?
    The breeder of the dog you have been offered says you are a good owner?
    others are saying you are a breeder?

If I have got this correct, how do you want us to help?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭andrawolf

I have one siberian husky bitch. she is at show and is doing well. Have been looking for a second dog and was offered a male one year old. was really happy as he came from a good line and he looked like he would be good at show. It was stopped because not just me but all of Ireland, Northern Ireland are puppy farmers. The dog would not be safe here. That is what she was told. I have the boat booked and paid for.:( :(

I need help with how can I put them right, as in not everyone is out to breed and make money of the pups. If I keep going well at show and my bitch gets a good hip score why can't I breed, so I can keep the best for show? Is it bad to want to want to breed if I have a good bitch?:confused:

No one new who I was from the sib welfare. They just judged me on where I was from. :mad:

• Advertisement

I presume "sib welfare" is some siberian husky rescue organisation?

Well, from what I've heard, their assumption about Ireland in general (not necessarily you in particular) isn't that far off the mark, really.

There are an awful lot of Siberian Huskies appearing on the Irish market lately, yet there are very few "official" breeders here ...so the puppy mills for siberian huskies seem to be hard at it.

Are you an established breeder, are you a member of a kennel club or breeders organisation?

Have you any idea what's involved when breeding dogs?

Because, quite frankly, this:
    I need help with how can I put them right, as in not everyone is out to breed and make money of the pups. If I keep going well at show and my bitch gets a good hip score why can't I breed, so I can keep the best for show? Is it bad to want to want to breed if I have a good bitch?

doesn't really sound very confidence inspiring. The way I understand this, you have a two year old bitch who is doing well at shows and now you would have the opportunity to get a promising male dog, with the aim of showing that as well and finally breed from the two.

I'm sorry but it takes a bit more than a good hip score and a few ribbons to become a good breeder.

Reading that one
    I want more to show as I enjoy it and was able to get some best in shows with my bitch.
    and that one
    why can't I breed, so I can keep the best for show?
    doesn't exactly instill confidence either.

YOU like showing, YOU want to show some more, so You want to breed a bit and keep the "good ones" for YOU.

Where do the dogs come in all this? Especially the "not so good ones"? Got any plans for them yet or will you just put them in the buy and sell?

From what I've read so far, you may not be a puppy miller ...but you don't sound like a responsible breeder either ...sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

well said Peasant ;)

I am not a breeder and do not intend to breed until I know more. I put this question up to see if there is anyone that can help. You veiw r welcome. But u have now just judge me the same. I do every thing for my dogs. I have a twelve year black and white boxer. She has never been bred even though she is a rare colour and I had a lot of people asking me to breed. I want to do the best by my dogs and if that means she is not suitable then I will not breed. But I will not know what is suitable with just one husky. I have never given away any of my pets. Even if they have had a problem. I had a jack russell with a heart problem from he was born with and he lived to he was sixteen.
    I will always stand by my pets no matter what. My dog is a family pet she follows my children every where. My kids are young and she is so good with them.

If you're really interested in breeding siberian huskies at some stage, I'd suggest you let this one go.

You are already showing your bitch, so you are moving in breeders circles. Make contact to the relevant Irish and UK breeders, get involved with the club, learn about breeding (for the benefit of the dogs and the breed) and then take it from there.

Once youre in with the right people and you have shown that you are serious about breeding properly (to the advantage of the breed and not just your own enjoyment) I'm sure the club will help you to find a suitable dog for your bitch to breed from.

Is there a siberian club in Ireland? There is one in britian and scotland but they don't want to help.:confused:

• Advertisement

Haven't got the foggiest ...

But I haven't been showing either, so how should I know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Contact the IKC. http://www.ikc.ie They should be able to advise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

andrawolf wrote:
    II have a twelve year black and white boxer. She has never been bred even though she is a rare colour and I had a lot of people asking me to breed.

Actually, if you check the breed standard you will see that boxers can only be either fawn or brindle with less than 1/3 white. So even if you did breed her, you wouldn't be able to show the puppies.

any one that was looking was just for a pet. I beleive if they are not show worthy then way put them through that.

For once there actually is good reason behind the breed standard, because white boxers usually carry a deafness gene.
    So it does actually make sense to preclude white boxers from breeding beyond the usual "looks" criteria.

But as a responsible boxer owner you probly knew that and that is why you didn't breed from your dog, right?

Right ...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

I'm lost. I can't understand the OP.

I did not want to breed as she could well have a problem. But I love her all the same. They say Boxers can die young around about 8. My girl is 12 I think she is doing really well.:cool:

does anyone know of anyone how races huskies or even trains for racing?:confused::p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭aaronsbz

Hey im 18 and i love siberian huskys and just bought my first 1 yesterday. he is pure white and is lovely. the whole family love him and we even want to get another one female black and white with blue eyes. if any1 has a litter and can help me out that would be great.

Also i would love to show my siberian husky but i havent got the first clue about it. im living in dublin and dont know were shows are on, how old the dog needs to be, so if any1 has any information it would be great if you could let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

aaronsbz wrote: »

Also i would love to show my siberian husky but i havent got the first clue about it. im living in dublin and dont know were shows are on, how old the dog needs to be, so if any1 has any information it would be great if you could let me know.

To show your dog at IKC championship shows your dog needs to be IKC registered, if they arent you cannot show at these shows. They need to be six months old too.
    There are ring craft classes on in Cloghran, Swords, where the dog shows are held. Check out showdogsireland.com they have all the show dates for the year with results and stuff from the shows.
    If you have any other questions, just ask. I show my rottie so i know a fair bit about the shows if you need to know.

• Advertisement

andreac wrote: »
    To show your dog at IKC championship shows your dog needs to be IKC registered, if they arent you cannot show at these shows. They need to be six months old too.
    There are ring craft classes on in Cloghran, Swords, where the dog shows are held. Check out showdogsireland.com they have all the show dates for the year with results and stuff from the shows.
    If you have any other questions, just ask. I show my rottie so i know a fair bit about the shows if you need to know.

thanks very much ..... and do i need to fill out any forms or anything lik that .... how do i organise going down there ..... you dont just show up i suppose.

also is your rottie a siberian husky.

aaronsbz wrote: »
    thanks very much ..... and do i need to fill out any forms or anything lik that .... how do i organise going down there ..... you dont just show up i suppose.

also is your rottie a siberian husky.

No, my rottie is a ROTTWEILER, Lol.

Is your dog IKC registered firstly? How old is the dog too? If and when you are entering a show though you will need all of your dogs registration papers details to enter the show, ie IKC number, parents names and your dogs registered name.

I suggest you pop down to a show and see what goes on in the husky ring first before you enter a show. Training for the ring would also be recommended as you need to know what you are doing in the ring before you enter a show. There are classes held in Cloghran every tuesday night, think they are €5 for the class.
    Someone there might also be able to tell you whether your dog is suitable to be shown, ie, has no major faults that would hinder him majorly in the ring.

You can go down to watch a show anytime, but to actually show your dog you need to enter first, all shows have a closing date which is usually a few weeks before hand.
    Theres a show on the 11th April in Cloghran, National Show Centre in Swords, you should pop along a have a look. This is a big show and there will be quite a few huskies.
    If you need to know anymore, just shout.
    Check out www.showdogsireland.com

No, my rottie is a ROTTWEILER, Lol.

Is your dog IKC registered firstly? How old is the dog too? If and when you are entering a show though you will need all of your dogs registration papers details to enter the show, ie IKC number, parents names and your dogs registered name.

I suggest you pop down to a show and see what goes on in the husky ring first before you enter a show. Training for the ring would also be recommended as you need to know what you are doing in the ring before you enter a show. There are classes held in Cloghran every tuesday night, think they are €5 for the class.
    Someone there might also be able to tell you whether your dog is suitable to be shown, ie, has no major faults that would hinder him majorly in the ring.

You can go down to watch a show anytime, but to actually show your dog you need to enter first, all shows have a closing date which is usually a few weeks before hand.
    Theres a show on the 11th April in Cloghran, National Show Centre in Swords, you should pop along a have a look. This is a big show and there will be quite a few huskies.
    If you need to know anymore, just shout.
    Check out www.showdogsireland.com

yes i only got my pup 2 days ago he is fully registered and he is only 7 weeks old.... were is cloghran by the way....

Cloghran is out by the airport, the national show centre, is where the shows are on.
    Did you get the pup from a good breeder and do you have all the paperwork already?
    7 weeks is a little young though to be take from the mother, ideally it should be from 8 weeks on.
    I would recommend training classes too and if you are thinking of showing then you should pop over to the classes on a tues night as well as they help for the show ring.
    But you would need to wait until the pup is around 4 months old before starting any classes. But in the meantime come along to one of the big shows and see how the huskies get on in the ring so you get a feel for whats ahead of you if you decide to show it.
    Is it a girl or a boy? If its a boy you cannot neuter them as they have to be entire for showing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Oh my, you're only 18 and got a Husky? And he's only 7 weeks old, and you're planning to get another one? So are you going to be responsible for bringing 2 fully grown huskies for a minimum 2 hour walk every day???

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Kablamo!

Glowing wrote: »
    Oh my, you're only 18 and got a Husky? And he's only 7 weeks old, and you're planning to get another one? So are you going to be responsible for bringing 2 fully grown huskies for a minimum 2 hour walk every day???

Don't jump on the poor fella just because he's young, being 18 doesn't neccessarily mean you'll make a bad pet owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

I actually think it does. So the husky will love to travel with him when he has to move from home to go to college, or travel or move abroad to work?

I just think it's very short sighted to invest in a dog when you're so young.

I'm sure i'm going to be lynched for this .....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭PurpleBerry

Glowing wrote: »
    I actually think it does. So the husky will love to travel with him when he has to move from home to go to college, or travel or move abroad to work?

I just think it's very short sighted to invest in a dog when you're so young.

I'm sure i'm going to be lynched for this .....

Maybe aaronsbz isn't going to go to college, maybe he has already left school, maybe he doesn't want to travel (an alien concept to some but not everyone does), maybe he has a job in this country and will keep it. No-one can know that so no-one should assume either outcome.

It could even be that aaronsbz is living with his parents and is going to college locally on a four year course, meaning that he definately won't be moving for a few years.

Saying you can't be responsible for a pet at 18 is a little bit close-minded IMO. You can be a responsible pet-owner at 18, you can be an irresponsible one at 30.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭tesslab

I think the point was they're not your ordinary run of the mill dog. (Please other breed owners dont take offence!All doggies are great) But huskies are a lot to take on and i think ya should give it a bit of time before you decide to have two.
    Absolutely beautiful dogs who often end up in the wrong hands. Its great to see responsible owners here who want to train & show their dogs and spend that important quality time with them:)
    And all of us non husky owners are sooooooooooooooooooo jealous of you!!!:D

• Advertisement

Cloghran is out by the airport, the national show centre, is where the shows are on.
    Did you get the pup from a good breeder and do you have all the paperwork already?
    7 weeks is a little young though to be take from the mother, ideally it should be from 8 weeks on.
    I would recommend training classes too and if you are thinking of showing then you should pop over to the classes on a tues night as well as they help for the show ring.
    But you would need to wait until the pup is around 4 months old before starting any classes. But in the meantime come along to one of the big shows and see how the huskies get on in the ring so you get a feel for whats ahead of you if you decide to show it.
    Is it a girl or a boy? If its a boy you cannot neuter them as they have to be entire for showing.

oh yeah thats grand.... well sorry he was jus short of 8 weeks....
    yeah i will definitly go and see the show at least i can get a bit of information..... and trainig classes would be great....
    its a boy and i wouldnt get him neutered... and i have alot of time i can show him to start training him n all ... is there a place i could get in contact with for information on this because the website doesnt realy give me that and also were do i apply for shows.

Advertisement