Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subject Choices

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭RetroRainbow

I picked English, Irish, Maths, Biology, Art, Geography, and Italian.
    Hopefully doing Japanese as an extra subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

did you do japanese in ty already retro?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

Rozabeez wrote:
    How narrow-minded. Arts gives you the opportunity to study a wide range of subjects, you can then go on and get a masters or use it to get into a basic training course for your chosen career.

Music? Never heard of music management? Or even playing music as a career? Music teaching? Production companies? I'm sure there are many more that people interested in studying music can tell you about.

Narrow-minded? Fair enough. Dont know what gave you that impression? Im always wrong I suppose.:rolleyes:

The way I see it about arts is that its just a basic degree and if you really want to get a job with an arts degree you need to be getting first class honours in the degree. Thats no easy thing to do even though the hours for the course are an utter joke.

Pharmacy is the way Im going anyway or dentistry or physiotherapy. The way I see it is work relatively hard in school. Get a few A1s in the bag {geography, french(well I am practically fluent in French for my age thats what alliance francaise told me) and chemistry} and a few A2s maybe maths and (coping with it very well considering we were put into the deep end of the course from 4th year! with all the co ordinate geometry, alpha beta roots, logs mumbojumbo) and biology and maybe a B1 in Irish and Im sorted.

UCC here I come plus young fine gael aswell. ( You cant forget those cool guys)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Why would you do dentistry? This has always confused me. Is it just for the money or do people actually enjoy being dentists?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

Why would you do dentistry? This has always confused me. Is it just for the money or do people actually enjoy being dentists?

One of the main raesons I would be considering dentistry is the fact that tuition is second to none in UCC with pupil teacher ratios of as low as 6:1 so you would grow to love the course from the outset as you would get into it more. Money also is a bonus too:D Ching! Ching! $$ if you know what I mean but that wouldnt be the main resaon for doing the course becuase the way I see it. I will be doing this job for at least 30 years of my life so I have to be able to enjoy it. If I dont then whats the point?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Aye, just was never sure if people actually enjoy dentistry. I suppose it's theoretically possible...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

Yeah going to the dentist is bad enough... being one would be horrible, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Dentists have the highest suicide rate of all professions.

What;s this about music degrees never being properly finished? What do you mean? Once you've sat your final exams and passed then you're finished!

And guess what kind of job I want out of a music performance degree :rolleyes:

did you do japanese in ty already retro?

We could either do it the first half or the second half of the year, and I did it the first half. ^^

I'm learning it myself at the moment, but that's not enough. I'd need a teacher, but sadly, I can't find anyone in Cork who's willing to do it. :(

There;s a Japanese forum on here, you could try there :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

Don't.
    Do.
    Chemistry!!!

But...I like Chemistry? :)

Thanks Piste, shall indeed try that! ^^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭shanethemofo

Whats the average amount of subjects here? im ending up doing 9

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Acid_Violet

I was going to do 9, that's mean I'd be doing classics alongside music, french, german, physics and chemistry. I was going to do classics for points but my career guidance teacher convinced me that I'd get the points in the othjer subjects and I didn't need classics for it. I'd like to be doing a third language though (the first and second languages being french and german.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

I find 8 to be enough of a strain and infact I'm thinking of giving up History next year so that I can focus more on improving my other grades.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

I'm doing 7... with HL Maths I'll need as much time as possible to focus on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Acid_Violet

Jello wrote:
    I'm doing 7... with HL Maths I'll need as much time as possible to focus on it.

Hmmm....same actually! Fourth year has severely reduced my mathematical capacity. English and Irish shouldn't require too much work, french and german will be ok if my teacher's half decent and if I work, physics and chemistry I'm not sure, music should be alright......yup, maybe I'm ****ed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

I didn't find German too bad. But HL Maths is meant to be rock hard, so work hard and focus (I do ordinary as I don't need it for my course etc, but i've seen a lot of people drop this year)

3000 posts.

Advertisement