Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subject Choices

Options
  • 25-02-2007 10:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭

Do any other TY students have to pick their subjects for Leaving Cert soon? We have to have them in by March! Obviously, have to do Maths, English and Irish and then 4 other subjects.

The groups don't work out for me - I might have to move school because of it.

The thing is I'm pretty much doomed for a Science career which is why I need 2 Science subjects but the way the groups are. I can't do Chemistry and Biology as well as German.

What are you picking and why?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Do any other TY students have to pick their subjects for Leaving Cert soon? We have to have them in by March! Obviously, have to do Maths, English and Irish and then 4 other subjects.

The groups don't work out for me - I might have to move school because of it.

The thing is I'm pretty much doomed for a Science career which is why I need 2 Science subjects but the way the groups are. I can't do Chemistry and Biology as well as German.

What are you picking and why?
    im suprised your not able to do 2 science subjects plus a language, in our school they always have the 3 sciences and and the languages in different groups so people who want to do medicine, veternary etc can do it.

im doin the 3 sciences and french

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

We just filled out what we'd like to do, so now they can make out the groups to suit as many people as they can. But we can put in certain requests if there's something we really wanna do, like the 3 sciences.

I hope to do French, Physics, Geography and Tech Graph.
    History if I can't get one of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Yeah, we had that as well. Ranking subjects and stuff.
    Whatever way the tastes of my year went, Chemistry didn't even come up as an option.

In retrospect, I am glad I'm doing Music instead. Apparently Chemistry is horrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Yeah we have to pick soon too, the teachers of each of the LC subjects do a presentation of them to us to encourage us to pick them. I only found out today that there's a limit on student numbers, the teachers can't take more than 24 students in Home EC or any Science students, and 30 in the other subjects, except for Maths and Irish where my classes have 36 and 32 people in them.

I was leaning towards French, German, Italian, Japanese and History but now I'm thinking that three languages might be a bit much so I'm thinking of choosing French, German, Religion, and Chemistry. (Japanese is extra curric.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Acid_Violet

I'm thinking along the lines of nine subjects, all honours; physics, chemistry, french, german, music and classics. I'm doing the sciences just in case I want to do something like medicine or sciency, french and german cos I like languages, music cos I might want to study it and I love it and classics for the points.

• Advertisement

Depends on your school I'd say. Ultimately it's your choice I think (they can hardly force you to do a subject or.. pay to have it examined). Sure there's a girl in my year doing 5 subjects, as far as I'm aware.

Myself, taking 8 subjects. Doing 7 (irish, english, maths, french, art, music, physics) in school and applied maths outside. I'm doing applied maths partially because art and music are, I think, dodgy for points, and applied maths would be a lot more reliable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Tarzan_man

^ I'm doing those exact same subjects in school. How are you going about doing Applied Maths outside school for the leaving?

Doing it in the Balinteer Institute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

Ideally, I would want

(Maths, English, Irish) Biology, Chemistry, German, History

but I can't get that. Picking German (in first year) is always a bad idea in our school because there are so few doing it. There's only 1 class therefore it is only in 1 group in LC subject choices. In that group there is also Biology so I can't do both German and Biology.

Also not sure about History because I'm weird in the way that I love the subject sometimes but when it's on other topics I hate it. Plus there's a lot in it....

For me it's a toss up between history and religion...and I might take up Music in 6th year in somewhere like the DIT, purely for the points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

Argh!!! I had put down Music, History, Economics and French. Five students in Ty chose to do music for Leaving Cert, we were pretty hopeful we'd have a class, its been doen with four before, and the fact that there were 15 thrid years doing Music made it look good. However, no third year plans to do it to LC(44 are doing TY!), and so we've been told we can't do music. AND Economics at the mo is clashing with history. Principal working on it, all three business subjects clash with history and each other, its really bad, so he's trying to change it.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭marshmallow

I've to have them in for March 16th.

(Irish, English, Maths) Music

Now the problem I have is whether to choose 2 languages or 2 sciences..?
    I'm doing 1 of each but what to choose as my 7th I don't know.. . Spanish & french; biology & physics..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Jello wrote:
    I hope to do French, Physics, Geography and Tech Graph.
    History if I can't get one of those.

the foremer tech drawing course has been changed to a new course called design and communication graphics

does anyone know what its gonna be like or is it harder or easier or what

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭irishmonkey

Plan on French, Biology, Music, Home Ec, and Japanese (outside)
    But the way the subject bands are, I cant do those =/
    French, and music are definate, and Japanese also, but as for the other 2 inside school, i dont know anymore!!
    Piste wrote:
    I was leaning towards French, German, Italian, Japanese and History but now I'm thinking that three languages might be a bit much so I'm thinking of choosing French, German, Religion, and Chemistry. (Japanese is extra curric.)

Where are you taking classes?
    I'm trying to find somewhere to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭marshmallow

Hmm went to the career guidance teacher yesterday and it looks like:

English
    Irish
    Maths
    French
    Music
    Physics
    Biology

We're getting a talk tomorrow from a whole loada teachers about subject options so it could possibly change..

Plan on French, Biology, Music, Home Ec, and Japanese (outside)
    But the way the subject bands are, I cant do those =/
    French, and music are definate, and Japanese also, but as for the other 2 inside school, i dont know anymore!!

Where are you taking classes?
    I'm trying to find somewhere to do it.

I do it in St. Michaels in Ballsbridge on Saturdays. Classes are for 5th and 6th years so you could take it up next year if you'd like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭irishmonkey

Piste wrote:
    I do it in St. Michaels in Ballsbridge on Saturdays. Classes are for 5th and 6th years so you could take it up next year if you'd like.

Ah brilliant.
    Cost?
    And do you have to be a student at the school?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

timmywex wrote:
    the foremer tech drawing course has been changed to a new course called design and communication graphics

does anyone know what its gonna be like or is it harder or easier or what

I heard that yeah. I dunno much about the course but because we're the first year doing the exam it might be a bit easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Acid_Violet

Ah brilliant.
    Cost?

Piste is female. So no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭shanethemofo

I have absolutely no idea what i want to do :(

• Advertisement

I'm tossing up Economics and History. Difficult choice becasue I love both and I'm good at both...

Ah brilliant.
    Cost?

It's free, and no you don't have to be a students, in fact no-one in my class is in st michaels they're from all over the city!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭BlueSpiral

Piste wrote:
    It's free, and no you don't have to be a students, in fact no-one in my class is in st michaels they're from all over the city!
    Hope that class ain't too full, been thinking of joining it in 5th ever since I heard about it. Do you have to book places?

I'll be doing History, Art, Religion and unfortunately French. We still haven't got the forms to fill out and it seems I'm one of few who know what they want to do, seems everyone else is certain what they don't want to study.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

Have no idea what I'm going to be so I'm doing Physics and Chemistry since I'm good at those. Doing French only because you need the extra language. Threw in Economics because I don't know what else to do. Might do Music too.

Anyone know anything about the South east Education Centre in Wexford? Apparently they teach LC classes for extra subjects......

BlueSpiral wrote:
    Hope that class ain't too full, been thinking of joining it in 5th ever since I heard about it. Do you have to book places?

Wel I jut emailed them around august/september and asked and they told me when and where to turn up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

I discourage taking Home Ec. Seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Piste wrote:
    For me it's a toss up between history and religion...and I might take up Music in 6th year in somewhere like the DIT, purely for the points.

History involves a lot of reading. Religion I find interesting, less reading than History but requires a lot of learning about philosophical disciplines as well as the actual faiths themselves. I'd prefer Religion, but I do both at the minute so I never really had to make the choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Piste: I do History, it's grand if you find it interesting and at least you've got a research topic to cover 20% of your overall grade.
    We don't do religion as a LC subject so can't help you out much there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Religion also has a 20% coursework section. Our teacher is saying we'll have to get a start on it soon. It's very interesting, so is History thats the issue. :)

Advertisement