Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subject Choices

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I had to do mine last week

I'm doing,along with the 3:
    Biology
    History
    Geography
    French

and art if I don't get one of those

I love history and geography,and as I'm still unsure of what career i want after school,I thought a language and a science would be handy
    plus I'm quite good at them

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭marshmallow

I handed in my form on Friday so along with English Irish and Maths:

French
    Biology
    Music
    Accounting

Spanish as my back-up if I don't get them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

I handed in my form on Friday so along with English Irish and Maths:

French
    Biology
    Music
    Accounting

Spanish as my back-up if I don't get them.
    definetly now for me the 3 and

Biology,
    Physics,
    Chemistry,
    French...

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Mocha One Sugar

it's looking like...

English
    Irish
    Maths
    French
    Geography
    Home Ec
    Economics

(should i swap Geography for Biology????)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Don't do it to yourself! Home Ec is soooo stressful!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Hypnotoad

Hopefully I can get rid of french.I'll only be doing English and Irish then though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

Rozabeez wrote:
    Don't do it to yourself! Home Ec is soooo stressful!

Stressful yes but for me it's just putting the work in thats involved. As for every subject i do just learn the stuff you're given early and you should be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

picking mine after easter, it shall be

English
    Irish
    Maths
    French
    Chemistry
    Physics
    Applied Maths
    LCVP

LCVP is boring, but if you need it then keep it up. I quit after a year and a half because I was quite behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

what is lcvp? Well I know what it stands for but what do you do?

• Advertisement

You do projects over 2 years to try and get a pass, distinction or a merit. It's usually for people doing pretty badly in one of their honours subjects or doing a number of ordinary level subjects, if you get a distinction for example I think it's 70 points? So you can substitute one of your LC grades with that if the points are lower in one of your top 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

Piste wrote:
    what is lcvp? Well I know what it stands for but what do you do?

The leaving certifciate vocational programme consists of various modules which are undertaken within a two year period.

The first of these is a 40 hour work experience module which is usually completed during the holiday period between fifth and sixth year.

Students take a special set of subjects called link modules which are largely concerned with enterprise education and preperation for the world of work. These will be certified for those who complete the course.

With regards the actual exam, a lcvp journal must be completed. Students do a video exam (students watch a video about a certain business and answer questions on it plus other lcvp thoery) in early May.

In order to do the lcvp programme students must be doing two leaving certificate subjects from of the vocational subject groupings. eg. Biology and chemistry or physics or pysics & chemistry (combined subject) etc . etc.

Written examination = 40%
    Portfolio of course work = 60%

Distinction 80% - 100%
    Merit 65% - 79%
    Pass 50% - 64%

ITs and universites award :

Distinction 70 points
    Merit 50 points
    Pass 30 points

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭irishmonkey

Piste, could you send the the e-mail of the Japanese lessons please?
    If i put it on the long finger, is wont get sorted!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

If anyone feels like helping me with History in september and beyond, I would much appreciate it. I made the choice to do Economics and Music in school, and went to my principal to ask could I do History on my own as a third subject instead of the sciences....but everyone keeps going on about how horrible history is...
    *worries*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

I'm dropping French and doing Physics, Biology, Geography and either Tech Graph (new syllabus) or History. Can't decide between those two :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Is dropping French not a bit dodgy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Only college you can apply for is Trinity then, I think. The NUI colleges require both languages.

Well I wanna do Engineering and no Engineering course in UCD requires a foreign language.. as with Trinity, DIT and DCU. Along with Agricultural Science and Nursing in UCD it's the only course that you don't need a foreign language for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Acid_Violet

I picked in the end, in this order:

French
    Physics
    German
    Chemistry

Music (outside of school)

My subject choices don't matter a lot though because I want to do music in college. One of the main reasons I picked the subjects other than music is because no other subjects particularly interested me.

Just filled mine out - doing Physics, Tech Graphics, Geography and Biology.

• Advertisement

English
    Irish
    Maths
    French
    Chemistry
    Biology
    Geography

and doing LCVP as well just as a back up just in case I **** up a subject in the leaving.

lilmissprincess I've sent you a PM.

I picked in the end, in this order:

French
    Physics
    German
    Chemistry

Music (outside of school)

My subject choices don't matter a lot though because I want to do music in college. One of the main reasons I picked the subjects other than music is because no other subjects particularly interested me.

I'm the same, I want to do music in college too and I'm gonna do LC music outside of school. Wher do you wanna do music Cliodhna?

RIAM or Waltons, RIAM preferably. Und du?

Waltons do third level music?

I was thinking DIT myself!

EDIT: I jsut checked out the RIAM site and their Ba. in Music Performance, that's the best course I've seen so far as it's specifically geared towards performance, only trouble is you need to have RIAM or Associated Board exams done and I do DIT Exams.

I meant where I want to do Leaving Cert music. DIT performance degree is what I'd like to do, I've been told that that's the best, but it's still early days yet and I'm not sure I want to do music. Radiography and Zoology seem very interesting too......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

im gonna drop biology and take accounting...

easier option me thinks

I meant where I want to do Leaving Cert music. DIT performance degree is what I'd like to do, I've been told that that's the best, but it's still early days yet and I'm not sure I want to do music. Radiography and Zoology seem very interesting too......

The DIT don't do a performance BA, they just do a general BMus, but with a strong emphasis on Performance (if you choose the performance electives), Wheareas RIAM have a specific music performance degree. I'll probably end up going to the DIT cos it's the nearest.

Piste wrote:
    The DIT don't do a performance BA, they just do a general BMus, but with a strong emphasis on Performance (if you choose the performance electives), Wheareas RIAM have a specific music performance degree. I'll probably end up going to the DIT cos it's the nearest.

What kind of jobs are there with the music degree. I find those arts/music degress a bit iffy because your never really finished and its kind of uncertain what kind of job you will get out of it.

• Advertisement

How narrow-minded. Arts gives you the opportunity to study a wide range of subjects, you can then go on and get a masters or use it to get into a basic training course for your chosen career.

Music? Never heard of music management? Or even playing music as a career? Music teaching? Production companies? I'm sure there are many more that people interested in studying music can tell you about.

Advertisement