Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Vs England (Match Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

great game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Just got back from the match... good lord what a game!

Where I was, the crowd was very respectful towards the anthems and the team in general.

Atmosphere was brilliant - I was literally on the edge of my seat for the whole match. My throat is so sore! I think I burst a blood vessel when I screamed for Horgans try. I nearly fell on a child in front of me when Boss made his run.

Great win, great day.

Yeah it sounded awesome from home. Great win lads, building towards the world cup, and getting towards where we want to be as a team.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

davyjose wrote:
    Yeah it sounded awesome from home. Great win lads, building towards the world cup, and getting towards where we want to be as a team.
    Yep and if they come second in the group I will be in Cardiff to see them beat the All Blacks :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

"...The real winners today were the Irish people. All five million (sic) of them..."

I don't think your (sic) was appropriate, I'm fairly sure he was referring to Northern Ireland too, which actually makes the statement even more gracious.

All in all, a great day for Irish sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Junior

I was going to say that, was it me or was Jerry Flannery actually crying, John Hayes looked as if he'd run thru the walls of the stadium when he was singing the anthems.

Fairplay, I'm delighted with how it went off, a brilliant reflection on the Rugby community in Ireland, espically considering all the horse **** that was spouted before ...

As for the game, I had thought it would have been tighter, but Ireland started from the start at long last and played the whole 80 minutes, they showed the mettle of a true top class team to put away the opposition when they could have lifted the foot off the pedal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭mallards

I really enjoyed this match. A pat on the back for everyone involved including us supporters. We were good, we were very good. Sorry England but you were out classed in every direction. Well done the lads and as a northerner I was pleased to see the Ulster lads, in particular Isaac Boss, play their part in a truly historic win for our country. I can hear ' We're all part of Eddie's Army!' already as the dust settles on todays game!.

Mallards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Milktrolley

I don't think your (sic) was appropriate, I'm fairly sure he was referring to Northern Ireland too, which actually makes the statement even more gracious.

All in all, a great day for Irish sport.
    It's closer to six million, but it was very gracious there's no doubt about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Orchard Rebel

daveym wrote:
    didn't think they were sly myself, strettle decided to not get out of the way and horgan just went through him

Thought that was the first of two good examples of Meath football Horgan showed today. :D

For someone born and raised over there (South Armagh dad, 2nd generation Cork mother), it just doesn't get any better than this. What made the day perfect though was the respect shown to the England team and GSTQ. The good manners shown by 70,000 Irish people inside Croker will be remembered long after the 30 RSF idiots outside are long forgotten.

Cause you had a bad day, you're twenty points down
    Not even Sir Jonny can turn this one around
    Shaun Perry don't know, that Boss is behind
    He said thanks alot and now he's gone for the line
    You had a bad day, you've seen Hill 16
    And now you understand just what it all means
    You had a bad day, You had a bad day

Must be the Smithwicks....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

This is why I laughed at people who were worried about the match before the game. England were never winning this, especially after the French match. We're just a better team.

Huge performance by the backrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Who received Man o the Match?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,575 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Who received Man o the Match?

POC

A joke tbh. Would the media ever stopping fapping over him. Suprisingly the English are worse at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

Sangre wrote:
    A joke tbh. Would the media ever stopping fapping over him. Suprisingly the English are worse at it.
    O'Connell was immense. I dont know which game you were watching.

Obviously almost every Irish player had a good game but POC was at the heart of everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,696 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Marshy wrote:

Obviously almost every Irish player had a good game but POC was at the heart of everything.

He was but i think Wallace was just as instrumental in the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Alot of complaining about the BBC commentary, did anyone watch the coverage there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

Unbelievable day and something I'll never forget. Briallant craic in the build up and that carried over into stadium.

Delighted to see only a few of RSF muppets turned up and that the anthems were respected by vast majority. One complete idiot in our section chanted "C'mon Ireland" the whole way through GSTQ, he then proceeded to chant "C'mon Munster" numerous times throughout the game :confused:

Theres always one i suppose

Marshy wrote:

He wasn't the best forward, let alone the best player.

Sangre wrote:

think that is unfair, hasn't been great in last few games, but he was in top form today and well deserved it.

Don't get me wrong, when hes on form he is great, class. Yet he has been off form for a while. Constantly praising someone to do the rafters, even when they don't deserve them is not only stupid but bad for a team. A huge media rated player makes it that much harder to call someone out on bad form and even drop them if required.

well agreed there, but the panel on RTE pointed out he was poor in last few games and all seemed to agree he had a good game. although they all said it was a bit of a pin stick to pick one from 15. I would have said wallace, darcy, rog or even bod were right up there with him myself. and actually easterby had one of his better games too..

• Advertisement

Sangre wrote:
    He wasn't the best forward, let alone the best player.
    Well you dont seem to be naming anyone specifically. Fair enough, its a close call between Wallace, ROG, and himself but I dont think you can argue with him getting it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Ruu wrote:
    Alot of complaining about the BBC commentary, did anyone watch the coverage there?

What were the complaints?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Everyone's been telling me about the anthem - all these big bruisers in tears - but I missed it. Is it online anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭afatbollix

missed the match stupid work anyone know if it can be downloaded anywhere?

Marshy wrote:
    Well you dont seem to be naming anyone specifically. Fair enough, its a close call between Wallace, ROG, and himself but I dont think you can argue with him getting it.

I suppose not. I would still like to have seen Wallace get it, though. He tackled ferociously. Scored a try. Prevented a possible break away try from Lewsey. Carried the ball very well and did immense work at the breakdown.

One of the best forwards in this years six nations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

What were the complaints?

About the Beeb commentators being annoyingly biased, just wondering what the fuss was all about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭keepitquiet

ireland outclassed england, shame about the referee being french tho, i like to see fair games...

ireland outclassed england, shame about the referee being french tho, i like to see fair games...

thought he was fair, has never done us any favours before, anything but..

Ruu wrote:
    About the Beeb commentators being annoyingly biased, just wondering what the fuss was all about.

I thought Brian Moore was going to cry when Boss intercepted that pass.:D

• Advertisement

Yeah I've just been on the bbc website. Loads of english complaining that the ref was blind...snore, heard it all before.

I find it extraordinary that people ALWAYS turn to the ref as a scapegoat after a loss rather than focusing on what is usually their own inadequacies. I guess its just part of the game tho, sad as it is.

Advertisement