Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Vs England (Match Thread)

Options
  • 24-02-2007 7:40pm

Decided we'll need a dedicated match thread, instead of all the fractured match comments in other threads.

Second half just started

Ireland 23 England 3

We're doing well...

:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

We are flying, 26-3 now.

Congrats to the crowd, they were very respectful during the Anthem's and let the Irish players do the talking on the pitch so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Very well, England barely getting a look in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Loving it - watching it on the BBc makes it even more entertaining. Every year they moan and accuse us of cheating.

In total I've been impressed with teh forwards. An area in each game the opposition have targetted and each time they've got no where near the result expected.

Or perhaps did we just consider england better then they actually were due to their lovely press... hmm

O'Gara Penalty

26 - 3

England Try now don't let them back in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

England putting pressure on us. Get a try. Thing they might make this a game yet

Woo Shane Horgan try! 36-13

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

They shouldn't have sung "The Queen", they should have played her. :D

Easy - Easy - Easy - Easy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

ireland are very impressive. Watching the game on setanta broadband here in the states. Bro is at the game, wish i was there too as croker looks fantastic.Surely one of the best if not the best stadium in the world. Great day to be irish.

• Advertisement

43 - 13

just perfect

Its all over, final score 43-13 (Boss got a try at the end there). Well done Ireland, done us proud. :)

What a win what a win.

Go on the Irish!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

What a shambolic England team.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Fantastic - no other way to describe it. What a proud day to be Irish! What made it even better was that the English team were clapped onto the pitch, and there was no booing during God Save The Queen. Done with true class and dignity.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

have to add, the ref was one of the best i've seen so far in the six nations, very much on the ball and made excellent calls (on fouls and accidents).

Brilliant performance by ireland, and a very dull performance by england, though it was a good opening for dave strettle.

wilkenson after all the talk and expectation had no effect on this match...he was locked up and left there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Great game, wish I was back home for it! Totally outclassed the English who haven't progressed at all and need to replace the old guard quickly. The French are going to destroy them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

fantastic performance and win, we could have had more points but 43 - 13 is great

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

Good game and a fair win

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

Incredible performance by the Irish.. Shocking display by England. France could very well possibly repeat this against them. I loved Horgans try, very nicely taken. The fact that the English players were well received on to the field, no booing or messing whilst God was Saving the ol'lady was a great display of the supporters.

Also Ireland not just being content with the 20 point lead and playing the clock down, the went for it and finished off the English is marvelous to see. They believe in themselves and it shows.
    Great occasion..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Royal Nugget said that Ashton had presided over Irelands worst defeat to England and now he's done the same the other way round.

If so thats some record.

Mike.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

delighted that eddie used up the subs bench, delighted for boss. was jerry flannery crying during the anthems? i always notice john hayes seems a bit emotional during every anthem too

great game.any one notice the few sly slaps some of the irish players gave to the english, eg horan using his elbow to knock outta the oppents way for the lead up to wallace try, or the knee to the face wilkson got?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Milktrolley

What a day! What an occasion!

Had butterflies during Ireland's Call. Nothing to do with the English / British anthem, just the atmosphere coupled with the evident emotion on the faces of our guys, including Gerry Flannery, who was indeed crying.

What a day to be Irish. The Beeb signed off by noting that "whatever about the anthems, when the final whistle goes it's all about what happened on the pitch. The real winners today were the Irish people. All five million (sic) of them." McGurk and co are by far the better panel, but where credit is due - that was a lovely sentiment.

I loved the little irony when George Hamilton commented on the widescreen issue, and how the French aren't as advanced as us, then, upon throwing it over to Tony Clement, his mic wasn't on!

As much as I like the Scottish, first we have Italy shaking things up a bit, then this. All we need now is for Wales to stay on top (they currently lead 14-6) and it will be the 100% perfect day!

Ireland answered the call... they just reversed the charges. (Couldn't resist)

New Zealand take on the match: http://xtramsn.co.nz/rugby/0,,12416-6995285,00.html

• Subscribers Posts: 16,575 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

perfect day, respect given before the game/off the pitch and murdered the feckers on it..

• Registered Users Posts: 36,237 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The anthems before the match - emotional. Great performance from Ireland thereafter*. Wonderful.

*This is an utterly awful English side.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,575 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

delighted that eddie used up the subs bench, delighted for boss. was jerry flannery crying during the anthems? i always notice john hayes seems a bit emotional during every anthem too

great game.any one notice the few sly slaps some of the irish players gave to the english, eg horan using his elbow to knock outta the oppents way for the lead up to wallace try, or the knee to the face wilkson got?

didn't think they were sly myself, strettle decided to not get out of the way and horgan just went through him, strettle won't do that again. thought he was one of the better england players but what was he like giving darcy stick when he got in for the try? u are being pissed on and u make a big deal of that?

I thought the knee was a total accident, his head was sticking out at the bottom of the ruck..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Great game, but looking back, we made mistakes, don't get me wrong, but today could have saw 50+ points be put on England.

Atmosphere looked amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 fliston12

Great occasion and very emotional one. While the occasion was there and we rose to the challenge, we rose above it and taught them a lesson, a very fitting result. Makes one proud to be Irish.

Tears in behalf of the team was fitting, they played out of their skin, and were not going to lay down at all, the Sasanachs got their ass kicked.

Eireann go brea!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Just got back from the match... good lord what a game!

Where I was, the crowd was very respectful towards the anthems and the team in general.

Atmosphere was brilliant - I was literally on the edge of my seat for the whole match. My throat is so sore! I think I burst a blood vessel when I screamed for Horgans try. I nearly fell on a child in front of me when Boss made his run.

Great win, great day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭Doomspell

Amazing match, amazing atmosphere, amazing day to be irish!!

Advertisement