Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[US/IRL] 3X08 - "Flashes Before Your Eyes" [** SPOILERS WITHIN **]

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭darrenh

SumGuy wrote:
    i dont think he did say it at the stadium, he said it in the hatch, remembering him from the stadium

edit: just watched it again there, he definitely does not say that in the stadium,
    they each introduce themselves and speak as complete strangers

my apologies!

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭darrenh

kevmy wrote:
    Exactly but you still get people in every thread in this forum saying "They never answer any questions ... this is stupid ... not as good as season one".
    The thing was in season one that all we had were questions and mysteries so theoretically it could have gone anywhere. But then as some questions were answered people didn't like the answers as it didn't agree with their view of the way the show should have gone from season one.

here here! out with the moaners!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,867 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

ok. Bear with me people. I have a theory on this episode. What if...

First off a few notions overall that are kinda required to make this work.
    1: The island may be man made, or at least controlable (climate conditions etc)
    2: There are yet another group of "Others" there, safe to assume anyway now we know about Eyepatch man being there too..

Desmond turns the key - and no crazy subconscious island action or time travel happens to him. Instead he's merely blown out same as the other guys, unconscious, and picked up by another watcher (eg. Eyepatch man, or yet another all powerful overviewer). He's taken away and had a bit of brainwashing done to give him the notion he's back in london (you know yourself from the movies, where they do regression on a victim to make them rememebr whats happened). The brainwasher would probably be that Flanagan chick, as she is the only person in his memories who acts differently then his actual memories. She outlays a story, about him not being able to change whats going to happen indefinately, that he has to be on the island or everyone dies and makes him the most important man in the world again. Then they perhaps implant him with something so they can give him a "flash" whenever they need to. So now they have established ground rules for this new "game/challenge" and leave him naked in the jungle, where he wakes up. They give him the flash of Charlie dying, generate a lightning storm and see how he does. Success! Next time, they see Claire way out in water (again i have the idea that they're all monitored, all the time) and give him the image of the drowning to see how he responds. Again success. And thus the new behavioral experiment is born, similar to the button. I prefer the idea that its actually done by people and controlled, rather then just leaving it to the mythical island consciousness.

The one flaw i can think of with this is that he see's other things too, such as Locke's speech, but im sure that discrepancy could be filled in without too much hassle.

Whats everyone think?

Re; Claire and the suicide thing, yeah i find myself agreeing with others on this, it simply makes perfect sense. She blatently lies about the swim, seeing as shes wearing her clothes, and is ignoring the baby a little. Most likely gonna be a post natal depression storyline.

As regards all the little things people spot, i think the creaters are just throwing references and subtle nuances like that in for their own amusement, knowing everyone is scrutinising everything, and also just giving nods to things they like, like the final destination things, the wizard of oz similarity and the wonderwall thing (none of which i spotted before i came on here!)

At this point I see Lost as a massive behavioural study on a gigantic scale, testing every facet of people, from the reactions of people sent to work in isolation in pretty decent conditions on one island to the reactions of a group of strangers thrown together by tragedy, seeing how they react to each other based on what they know, or what they've been told. Loads more stuff i couldnt begin to think about yet, but thats my idea of the premise of the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Gwynston

And the pub scene has no excuse in having napkins instead of beer mats, having a spanish cup final from the 80's on the telly with one of the teams called feckin 'greybridge' and what sort of a british pub plays Mama Cass?
    And the pint glasses were clearly American ones! Smaller than a UK/Irish pint and straight-sided.

Trust me to notice the details in the alcohol! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

anyone notice the picture in widmores office had the Namastie name backwards?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭homerjk

But I still thought it was as stereotyped as it got. And the pub scene has no excuse in having napkins instead of beer mats, having a spanish cup final from the 80's on the telly with one of the teams called feckin 'greybridge' and what sort of a british pub plays Mama Cass?

I may be mistaken but as far as i can see that was Real Madrid playing Barcelona and if i can remember correctly (it flashed up pretty quickly) Real Madrid were wearing their "Teka" jersey which can put the game from somewhere around 1996 to 1999 so I definitely don't think they tried to portray it as an 80's match.
    Also I cant recall what he called the team so I cant comment on that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Gizzle

I've come to the conclusion that Lost will be revealed to be an extremely subtle and clever way to get the mainstream demographic into watching sci-fi. Hence so many unanswered questions, if they suddenly gave all the answers, which I believe are based in part in science fiction, people'd say "Wha'ss dis, bleedin' X-files?!" and just switch off.

Good episode, gave it an eight.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Gavin W

jackdaw wrote:
    You see this is the problem with this show, it will lose a lot of fans if
    they go down this road, it's getting too strange, while maybe Star Trek
    fans might love all this time travel alternate reality stuff (I don't mind it , so long as it doesn't get too crazy) laypeople will tend to be put off by that.
    This is something that I think has been on the cards from the beginning. Right from the start Lost has danced around the issue of whether there was a science-fiction premise behind the show or not. The fans seemed to fall into two distinct groups: science-fiction fans who enjoyed the little hints of a 'science-fictiony', fantasy explanation, and people who watched more mainstream TV who just enjoyed it as a regular drama.

Inevitably though, they eventually had to come down on one side of the fence or the other. And as soon as they did they were guaranteed to piss off 50% of their audience.

Advertisement