Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[US/IRL] 3X08 - "Flashes Before Your Eyes" [** SPOILERS WITHIN **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭fortuneg

If Terminator 2 has thought us anything it's that when you travel through time you lose all your clothes.
    With this infallible evidence i believe we can throw out the notion of Dessie reliving his past!
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭ikol

did anyone think the guy with the red shoes and him being crushed under the scafolding was a bit simaliar to wizard of oz? after all that already used a ref with henry gale.
    And it does seem a bit simalar dorothy get wisked off to the land of oz while it seem's to people at home thats she's just unconcious and the same with desmond.

thought it was a great ep. but while watching i got the wizard of oz theme not a time travel theme. i think it was all a dream to desmond but the island has given him powers now to see flashes of the future

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

I want those 50 minutes of my life back please! The worst episode off all the series imho. I love Desmond as a character but this episode was poor very poor. It made no sense and really the plot has just gone completly. Lost is on a slippery slope.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Picture this, you are touristy in London, the Houses of Parliment(sic?) and Westminster are clearly in the background
    Why oh why would you have your photo taken against a false background?
    Turn around Mr Photoman, look at that for a backdrop!!!!

Anyhow, yeah good episode, inconclusive re timetravel/flashbacks/flashforwards/alternate time streams

Is still reckon that one of these guys hold a secret unknown to themselves regarding the controlability of random events, at this stage it could be any of a number of characters, I always thought that Charlie and Jacks dad were somehow more important that we thought, don't know why though?
    Kinda like Anakin was central to that balance of the force with disappearing Jedi and forever life with the Ready Brek glow thingy, now don't get me started on that, either you know or don't know

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

Also, in relation to all the easter eggs, is it possible that Desmond's sub-concious placed them there to try and nudge Desmond into remembering about the Island, e.g. whilst Penny's father always had an expensive bottle of whiskey Desmond's sub-concious used the specific expensive bottle that was present on the island. I only say this as, if it were true then it would mean that Desmond's experience was one of more a experience through his mind rather than out and out time travel, sort of like the ambiguous experience Jodie Foster had at the end of Contact.

Definetly with the microwave as no microwave made by mankind beeps like that. Also your theory raises an interesting question in that some of the easter eggs in previous flashbacks are placed by the island. If we take it that the flashbacks are just memories that the Losties are thinking about at the time of a particular episode then maybe some of their memories could be influenced by the island. I mean if you remember something happenening 4 years ago you aren't going to remember the number of a door or what a certain character in the background looks like.
    Having said that it is obvious that some of the memories and coincidences really happened (Hurley being the obvious example) but perhaps some of the subtler references are placed in your mind by the island. We've seen it take memories from the Losties and make them real (Kate and the horse for example) so why not the other way around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

Ramblings: After re watching the episode last night a thought struck me. What if Desmond having to repeatedly save Charlies life is like a new version of the button. Desmond was told that if he didnt push the button the world would end he could choose to believe this and keep pushing the button or he could decide it was a load of rubbish and not push it anymore. Now he is getting flashs of Charlie getting killed and he can choose to keep saving his life or to believe what the old lady told him and just let him die.

Maybe the Island isnt through testing Desmond yet and with no hatch it needed to figure out another way to do so? Just a thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

Someone in this thread suggested that perhaps Claire was committing suicide when Des saved her. I'm beginning to think the same now.

First off, she went 'swimming' fully clothed, which is retarded. But secondly, and maybe most importantly, she told Sun that she was going for a walk, not a swim.

Anyone else think this might be the case?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I do think she is preoccupied because she did seem to abandon the baby. Didn't Charlie say that the baby was starving?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭GadgetFiend

On your first point, no. The bloke with the red shoes got killed under the scaffolding afterwards. It indicated that the auld one knew it was going to happen that she pointed out mr red shoes...

Thought it would have been cool to see Charlie in red shoes at some point?

good episode

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

fortuneg wrote:
    If Terminator 2 has thought us anything it's that when you travel through time you lose all your clothes.
    With this infallible evidence i believe we can throw out the notion of Dessie reliving his past!
    :)

LOL! "I need your clothes, your boots, and your motorcycle, brother."

• Advertisement

Thought it would have been cool to see Charlie in red shoes at some point?

good episode
    ...and then send him off to look for the wizard of oz, never to return.

I agree, that would be cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭SoSueMe

I thought this was a brilliant episode. There was so much to love. Henry Ian Cussack's acting was amazing. I hate to talk about the cinematography but the recreation of London in Hawaii was flawless. The whole revelation that it wasn't Claire who is going to die but Charlie was well handled.

I must admit that I would miss Claire far more than Charlie who annoys me beyond words now. I tollerated him in season one but his character assassination in season 2 was it for me. Dominic Monaghan plays Charlie too smugly now.

Excellent episode: 10/10

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

SoSueMe wrote:
    .. but the recreation of London in Hawaii was flawless ..
    ** snigger **

Were we watching the same episode as you? Have you ever been to London?

Flawless it was not. Americanised, dated and wildly incorrect would be more accurate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭justbringit89

Who else thought it was weird that Charile Was singing '' Your Going To Be The One Who Saves Me'' (wonderwall) To Desmond ... Hmmmm.. i know there its a popular english song but the words could mean something

basquille wrote:
    ** snigger **

Were we watching the same episode as you? Have you ever been to London?

Flawless it was not. Americanised, dated and wildly incorrect would be more accurate.

That's your opinion.

It was believable and the CG of the Thames was amazing for TV. BTW I lived in London for a number of years.

Most US TV shows would never be able to come close to Lost's standard and that's my basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I'm a bit mixed on this episode. On the one hand, I like Desmond and was happy to watch an episode about him.
    However, two little things that I didn't like:

1) The final destination thing they have going on. The universe wants to kill Charlie? Unless this ends with some kick-ass explanation, I didn't like it.

2) I don't like the way they can just discontinue such an important storyline like the escape of Kate and Sawyer. What's the timeline of this episode? Are Kate and Sawyer escaping as this episode is unfolding? Or has this episode taken place before they got the boat? It makes the show feel a bit disjointed.

The time line is jarring but this episode takes place just after Eko's death and subsequent burial in episode 6 indicating to me that realistically Sawyer and Kate will be back in episode 9 as episode 7 was virtually in real time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

I lived in London for a while, and I can tell you that there are plenty of areas which are fully of tourist tack, union jacks, and people who swear constantly. I thought it was accurate enough tbh.
    ps. remember when desmond first met jack in the stadium he asked "do i know you brother".

Thats interesting actually.

i dont think he did say it at the stadium, he said it in the hatch, remembering him from the stadium

edit: just watched it again there, he definitely does not say that in the stadium,
    they each introduce themselves and speak as complete strangers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

I thought the remake of London was fantastic. It was cliched but, I mean, cmon if you've ever been to London you'll know about the touristy shops on the streets selling union jacks and roasted nuts. And where in central London aren't you going to see a red bus and an underground station? Not unusual to have them in the same scene.

As I've said before, great episode. But I wouldn't go as far to give it 10/10...:O

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Who else thought it was weird that Charile Was singing '' Your Going To Be The One Who Saves Me'' (wonderwall) To Desmond ... Hmmmm.. i know there its a popular english song but the words could mean something

Well spotted! I never picked up on that one at all! Guess a 2nd viewing coulda helped :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭justbringit89

Well spotted! I never picked up on that one at all! Guess a 2nd viewing coulda helped :D

yeah either did i .. it was my 10year old sister lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

You know as much as I love Lost it embarrasses me how little I pick up on things. I'd not have made that connection even if I watched the episode multiple times. Each time I visit this forum, I find people arguing over the merits of particular points and little bits of potential plot details that I've totally missed out on!

Anyway, thought it was a great episode. Desmond is a great character, reminds me of Baltar in Battlestar Galactica for the simple reason that he can prop up an otherwise flagging episode.

I thought the remake of London was fantastic. It was cliched but, I mean, cmon if you've ever been to London you'll know about the touristy shops on the streets selling union jacks and roasted nuts. And where in central London aren't you going to see a red bus and an underground station? Not unusual to have them in the same scene.

As I've said before, great episode. But I wouldn't go as far to give it 10/10...:O
    Do they really sell roasted chestnuts? I've been to London a few times now, done all the touristy bits and never saw that. I suppose they didn't make too bad a job of it. Like it would be pretty hard trying to recreate London in Hawaii.

But I still thought it was as stereotyped as it got. And the pub scene has no excuse in having napkins instead of beer mats, having a spanish cup final from the 80's on the telly with one of the teams called feckin 'greybridge' and what sort of a british pub plays Mama Cass?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭jackdaw

Wicknight wrote:
    Good episode, even if it felt a bit short.

I think it is safe to assume, judging by this episode and the last one, that time travel is going to fit into the theme of what is happening on the island. Seeing the future has always been a theme of the show (the fortune teller telling Claire she had to get the plane trip for example).

Are the Others attempting to travel back or forward in time, to prevent something that they have seen happen, possibly when the hatch last went nova. Are those on the "list" something to do with this event they are attempting to fix or observe? Where they brought here on purpose?

You see this is the problem with this show, it will lose a lot of fans if
    they go down this road, it's getting too strange, while maybe Star Trek
    fans might love all this time travel alternate reality stuff (I don't mind it , so long as it doesn't get too crazy) laypeople will tend to be put off by that.

Also regarding people saying LOST is not as exciting as it was in Season 1,
    well that's because ironically (sp?) the more you find out the less mystery is left and hence less exciting, now we know a good deal about the others,
    you don't feel the same fear with them when you see them .
    or the Polar bears , we now know they are there as part of some experiments
    but in season 1 when we 1st saw one it was a real WTF moment ..
    now though it's not as exciting or mysterious when we see one ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

jackdaw wrote:
    Also regarding people saying LOST is not as exciting as it was in Season 1,
    well that's because ironically (sp?) the more you find out the less mystery is left and hence less exciting, now we know a good deal about the others,
    you don't feel the same fear with them when you see them .
    or the Polar bears , we now know they are there as part of some experiments
    but in season 1 when we 1st saw one it was a real WTF moment ..
    now though it's not as exciting or mysterious when we see one ..

Exactly but you still get people in every thread in this forum saying "They never answer any questions ... this is stupid ... not as good as season one".
    The thing was in season one that all we had were questions and mysteries so theoretically it could have gone anywhere. But then as some questions were answered people didn't like the answers as it didn't agree with their view of the way the show should have gone from season one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭jackdaw

BTW i never gave my rating of this episode, i gave it a 7 ..
    despite LOST losing it's mystery (this will have to happen) I still liked it.

So how can Des tell the future if he re-lived just a part of his life?
    When I was 1st watching it I thought he would live his WHOLE life,
    die and then return naked to the jungle after blowing the hatch, hence his
    abilities ..

but that didn't happen so ??????

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

basquille wrote:
    That was, by all accounts, a damn fine episode!

Best of season 3 so far.. we need more Desmond!

I'm not going to go into what I thought about the episode but I thought was definately one of the best ever and Desmond is now one of the best characters "Brother"

Just remembered how Dessie told Mr. Widmore that he had to look after his three brothers...
    Maybe that's why he's addicted to saying the word.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

Do they really sell roasted chestnuts? I've been to London a few times now, done all the touristy bits and never saw that. I suppose they didn't make too bad a job of it. Like it would be pretty hard trying to recreate London in Hawaii.

But I still thought it was as stereotyped as it got. And the pub scene has no excuse in having napkins instead of beer mats, having a spanish cup final from the 80's on the telly with one of the teams called feckin 'greybridge' and what sort of a british pub plays Mama Cass?

I've never lived in London but I've been there quite a few times. I must admit I've never seen stalls selling roasted nuts until the last time I was in London (Januray - for the sales!!) where I was staying in a hotel near the Dominion Theatre and I saw people selling roasted chestnuts.

The napkin thing is a fault but I didn't even notice that...(Lost fans are so picky!!). I've only been in one British pub (didn't like it) so I wouldn't know about the sort of music played but I presume SOME jukebox in SOME pub in Britain has Mama Cass on it? Maybe....? :)

Good catch on noticing the song Charlie was singing whoever said that. Did anyone remember when he said "ok this is why we don't do drugs people" I had to laugh at that..

Advertisement