Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

07 VW Passat 1.9TDI v SAAB 93 1.8

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,430 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Yes Bazz, the Edition 30 is already available in the UK at least, though I don't think its available here in Ireland. Other than the upgraded power, it consists of some questionable styling tweaks over the standard GTI.
    Most of the reviews are fairly negative - the painted bodykit does it no favours, the wheels on the std car are much nicer, the power upgrade isn't as smooth, etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 51,202 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

JoeA3 wrote:
    Yes Bazz, the Edition 30 is already available in the UK at least, though I don't think its available here in Ireland. Other than the upgraded power, it consists of some questionable styling tweaks over the standard GTI.
    Most of the reviews are fairly negative - the painted bodykit does it no favours, the wheels on the std car are much nicer, the power upgrade isn't as smooth, etc...

Yes, there are only a handful of front wheel drive cars that can handle anything over 200bhp. Torque steer kicks in big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,766 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

tbh, Whippet, you need to narrow it down a bit........we've discussed everything from 2-4 doors, saloon to coupe, Italian to German, etc etc.

Heart will say Alfa - only buy the diesel, though, for any resale at all....you should be able to get a good spec for a cash deal, no trade in. GT even better, if that floats your boat. I nearly traded my TT for that GT, and it drove very, very well, but only a lack of auto in the diesel stopped me. Gabbiano blue the colour to have btw.....

Head will say Golf - but it it looks awful, and torque steers all over the place.

Saab - my brother swears by them, but wouldn't buy new. Much better value s/hand.

Accord - 2.2 is going to kill you on BIK and/road tax, imho............resale on any 2.2 - even if it's a Honda - will still be more painful than any smaller engined car. Also, it's boring to look at, my 0.02

General; for work/commercial, you do NOT have to buy new. Look up BIK rules on the Revenue site. You can buy anything, as BIK is based on invoice price. So, 6mth old 159 demo would be a winner here, I'd have thought, and you'd have a full guarantee, just as new. Demo might also have leather, etc....yum yum

I've had 130bhp Passat (05) tiptronic, and Golf Plus 1.9D with DSG. DSG brilliant, rest of vehicle - both - awful. Seats are atrocious, and spec appallingly poor. I don't think Alfa even have a spec as bad......

...actually, there is, 'Irish spec' 320d. A bucket with an engine. Nice engine, but plain as bejaysus..........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 7,675 ✭✭✭whippet

Took the GTi with DSG box out for a spin over the weekend and the 9-3 and the rest won't even get a look in.

What a motor ... I will be placing an order next week ... Black, 5 door, 17" rims, leather with the DSG box .. just have to do a bit of hardballing with the dealers .... now I will have to wait at least 10 weeks!!!!:(

Whippet, just to give you an idea of wait times, I ordered a GTI exactly 8 weeks ago. Just got word that it has arrived in Dublin and all going well, I'll be behind the wheel by middle of next week :)

• Advertisement

you lucky git !!! I want it now !!!

What spec did you get?

3-door, Blue graphite pearl, 18" wheels, climate control, upgraded computer, arm-rest + iPod connection !!!
    Can't wait now!

what comes with the upgraded computer? and what is the cost?

I forgot about the ipod connection .. that is a must .. what is the cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

dont forget to post up pics of the new cars lads;)

upgraded computer is quite cheap - about 80 euro. It gives you a bigger, nicer looking display on the dash, and you can program functions like the coming home/leaving home lights, door locking, that sort of thing. Its known as the "highline" in the UK, if you do a search for "highline" in the GTI section of tyresmoke.net, you'll see it!

The iPod connection is integrated into the armrest - the iPod docks into it, and you can control it from the radio. Doesn't display track names though, but better than the iTrip and the likes. Its pricey enough - €600, but that includes the armrest.

any other spec questions, ask away - I've become a total anorak on the subject in the last few months :)

• Advertisement

it must be the same computer as what is in the Touareg ... for 80 notes it is worth it.

I will be getting the centre arm rest .. which is only about €280 . that is steep for the ipod connection .... I would consider getting the Harmon Kardon drive and play for less than half that price !

Why did you go for the 18"s .. I found the ride to be very very compromised?

The computer is called "multi-function indicator" on the specs if you are looking for it. Note that it is actually standard if you opt for either the multi-function wheel or Sat nav.

I went for the 18's cos they totally transform the looks! At first glance, they look similar to the standard 17" wheel, but they are diamond-polished, have a nice sparkle finish off them, and darker finish around the spokes. Look the biz. I've 17's on my current car and never have had a problem, never even a puncture!
    I did a bit of haggling with the dealer and got the iPod conn for half (~300).

what did you pay for the 18"s?

I still have some hard balling to do with the dealers but I am in a strong enough position .. the sis in law is looking at a new motor as well as the mother in law .. so there is an order for about €135k worth of motors ready to be made and I am sure there will be more than the standard 'few bob' knocked off!!

you should do well so!!
    The 18" are eye wateringly dear - around €800...! But I think they are worth it!

for comparison, this one has 18" wheels:
    http://www.usedcars.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=565734

whereas this one doesnt:
    http://www.usedcars.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=562797

• Registered Users Posts: 12,766 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

JoeA3 wrote:
    you should do well so!!
    The 18" are eye wateringly dear - around €800...! But I think they are worth it! [/url]

until you hit your first pothole, that is.........

I agree they look better, but I've 17" on my E200K and never again -impossible to mind.

Hey hold on - you drove the 9-3 as well, so tell us about that.........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

I personally don't really get when people say bigger wheels are impossible to mind. I've 17's on my Audi, over 2 years old, all totally unmarked. No punctures either. If the alloys are factory fit, designed for the car, it also helps I guess.

I've hit the odd bone crunching pothole, and fearing the worst, gone out to inspect the wheel, and its not marked at all!! Sure, you need to be extra aware when parking at kerbs, but my tyres also appear to protect the edge of the rim too. Maybe I've just been lucky, and I'll come to eat my words in a couple of weeks!.

I didn't bother with the 9-3 in the wind up !! I was having a beer with a mate over the weekend .. mentioned I was looking at the 9-3, passat etc .. and he just laughed and asked me if I was retiring at 29 !! so that made my mind up .. I still enjoy driving and want to have some fun .. the GTI fits that bill ... but for an extra 15K I could have a look at the R32 !!! (joke BTW)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,577 ✭✭✭maidhc

whippet wrote:
    and he just laughed and asked me if I was retiring at 29 !!

I think its the person more than their age. I'm 24 and would prefer a pipe and slippers jaguar anyday to a Golf GTI. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭sk8board

Ì agree with smcgiff. Go with the saab if you mileage is not too high. Also agre with the Opel lark, its just soundbites. Most of the news cars we drive have shared platforms.
    However, as others have said, the interior can be drab, so MAKE SURE you go with the VECTOR or AERO models. Spec and interior are both fantastic

Advertisement