Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

07 VW Passat 1.9TDI v SAAB 93 1.8

Options
  • 13-02-2007 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,675 ✭✭✭

I have about 35K and before I start the trawl of dealers and test driving .. I have been toying about between a Passat or a SAAB 93 .. I would like to know you opinions before I go test driving in the next week or so !!

Also any other suggestions for a mid range saloon max €35-35K.

... please no 'How about a skoda' posts .. i just don't like them !!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭what_car

ok.. my thoughts...

saab= glorified opel,, high depreciation, and pricey too i think..

vw passat, nice car, depreciation high too, see second hand prices on carzone... only2 yr warranty,,, i hear the button handbrake is a pain...

volvo s40 - dont go ther! trust me

leaves the avensis 2.0 D4D Luna ( top spec)

has cruise control, 6 speed gearbox, auto lights, chromatic mirror, auto wipers, full electric windows, electric heated and retractable wing mirrors.. climate control...etc etc

its not the best looking car, but very very very reliable, easy on fuel, i am averaging over 50 mpg , and i calculated this a few times using the fill tank method,,, per tank. its a nice roomy car quite roomy actually.. the 6 speed gearbox is nice... i rekon it will be a good seller second hand also, the diesel avensis seem to hold their value, check it out on carzone.

oh yea, toyota have 3 year warranty!

just my thoughts...if ur a cash buyer you would have change for a nice family holiday out of the 35 k if u went for the avensis luna diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,202 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

whippet wrote:
    I have about 35K and before I start the trawl of dealers and test driving .. I have been toying about between a Passat or a SAAB 93 .. I would like to know you opinions before I go test driving in the next week or so !!

Also any other suggestions for a mid range saloon max €35-35K.

... please no 'How about a skoda' posts .. i just don't like them !!

The 1.9 TDi engine in the Passat only has 105bhp. It is a bit noisy, course and sluggish in the Passat, really is showing its age. The 2.0 TDi is light years ahead of it but expensive. Just a warning though about the new Passat, there are lots of niggly problems with them that VW cannot seem to sort out despite being on the market almost 2 years now. Engine stalling for no reason, false ECU error codes appearing and the electronic handbrake sticking.

Regarding the Saab 9-3 as others have said it is based on the Opel Vectra platform and some traditional Saab drivers have been disappointed with the car in general. On the plus side the new 1.9 TiD engine which is made by Fiat is highly regarding by the motoring world. Not sure how reliable the rest of the car is or how the resale value works out on the diesel model.

Others to think about are as already mentioned Toyota Avensis 2.0 or 2.2 D4-D. Also maybe a 2006 Honda Accord 2.2 diesel may fall within your budget if you don't have to have a new car. There is also a new Ford Mondeo around the corner which will be available in 1.8 and 2.0 TDCi. Not sure if it will hold it's value well if traditional Mondeo depreciation is anything to go by. Another one to look at is the Mazda 6 2.0 TD which has dropped in price recently, downside is that the 6 is due to be replaced by a new model towards the end of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

Forget the VW or Saab - Go for a properly engineered car and one that w'ont let you down.

If a petrol suits your needs and it must be brand new, then something like this

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=592489

The Estate would be a better all round option though, for both practical use and better residual values.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,675 ✭✭✭whippet

I was thinking of the 2.0L TDI passat but it is a bit pricy and by the time you get a decent spec it would be out of budget, likewise with the JTD SAAB .. but I reckon the SAAB would have a better standard spec.

I really don't like the avensis ... I know it is a great car and all that but lookswise it doesn't do it for me and after a week I would be bored with it.

the Accord is a good option coming in at about 35K on carzone .. I think that will be on the list for a test drive.

bazz .. you say that 93 owners in general haven't been happy with the car .. what are their main complaints?

TomMc wrote:
    Forget the VW or Saab - Go for a properly engineered car and one that w'ont let you down.

If a petrol suits your needs and it must be brand new, then something like this

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=592489

The Estate would be a better all round option though, for both practical use and better residual values.

I do like the legacy but they are very very very thirsty !!!

• Advertisement

I would not call low to mid 30's MPG very thirsty. Remember it's the 2.0L Legacy not the 2.5 or 3.0 we are talking about. Servicing costs are not bad either.

FWIW ... My wife has one (2.0L Legacy) and I enjoy driving it more than my 535d.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Ice_Box

Prius perhaps? Very cool car imo

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

If its your own money, I would suggest the Avensis 2.0D4D luna
    if its a company car and skies you limit as far as choice, then
    http://cbg.ie/newcars/Alfa_Romeo/159/Saloon/Turismo_1.9_JTD_120_bhp.aspx

it is my own money ... unusual circumstances therefor has to be a new model .. the head would tell me a Toyota but my missus wouldn't agree .. she does like her cars also and wouldn't agree to an avensis .. the passat is as boring as she would agree to.

she could be tempted to an alfa if it was the GT but not the 157, plus for 35 your options would be limited with regards engine and spec.

The Accord is sounding good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

whippet wrote:
    it is my own money ... unusual circumstances therefor has to be a new model .. the head would tell me a Toyota but my missus wouldn't agree .. she does like her cars also and wouldn't agree to an avensis .. the passat is as boring as she would agree to.

she could be tempted to an alfa if it was the GT but not the 157, plus for 35 your options would be limited with regards engine and spec.

The Accord is sounding good
    Accord would be the best choice.
    The Alfa 159 (not 157) is in both my opinion and anyone I've spoken to who's seen one in the metal is the best looking saloon on the market. I drive a Saab 93 and was very disappointed, especially with the interior. It's around the same price as the 159, and seems to depreciate very heavily. Seeing as the 159 has the same engine for the same price, and I also reckon it'll depreciate less than the 93, then I reckon it's a far better buy. You really should go test drive one anyway. They look least impressive in silver.
    The avensis has a small number of known problems, but can be sorted within warranty. The passat and avensis would be the two best in the class for depreciation. The 2.0tdi passat is the one to go for, if budget allows.

• Advertisement

I do like the Alfa but again .. when you are buying at the entry level of a marque you will be getting entry level spec !!

The missus has just suggested an MX5 .. it would be great fun for the first week and then the practicallity would kill me !!

The accord does seem like a good choice .. what is the base spec like?

whippet wrote:
    I do like the Alfa but again .. when you are buying at the entry level of a marque you will be getting entry level spec !!

The missus has just suggested an MX5 .. it would be great fun for the first week and then the practicallity would kill me !!

The accord does seem like a good choice .. what is the base spec like?
    Are you planning new or a year or two old? And diesel or petrol? The diesel only sold in this country in the executive spec, which basically has the works. Leather and electric seats, dual zone climate, all that jazz (no pun intended!!). It's very dear as a result brand new, €43k.
    I wouldn't worry about entry level spec, as you won't get your money back on it. Just think of a few essentials that you want in the car, then see if those are met by the entry spec. The entry spec Accord should be fairly good anyway, and for 35k in the 2 litre petrol you should be able to get a spec or two up from basic.
    If you think the MX5 is an option, then you may aswell throw in the RX8 into the equation. 4 seats, reasonable boot and 4 doors!!

I've been driving a 156 for 7 yrs and would never really think about a Toyota, but their interiors are not as drab as they used to be.

I had a good look around the Avensis last week and the top spec is a nice motor inside. The cabin is surprisingly better than I expected.

The Accord would also be a good choice. I doubt you'll get the diesel for your budget though new

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Mr. Pseudonym

I drive an 04 2l legacy and I am getting avg. 37mpg out of it...and I can have a heavy foot at times!

Also with the legacy think of all the "extras" you get as standard... aircon, alloys, sunroof.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Mr. Pseudonym

I drive an 04 2l legacy and I am getting avg. 37mpg out of it...and I can have a heavy foot at times!

Also with the legacy think of all the "extras" you get as standard... aircon, alloys, sunroof...not to mention the AWD!

whippet, what do you want? a diesel or petrol? Your 2 choices are different, ones a diesel, ones a petrol.

whippet wrote:
    bazz .. you say that 93 owners in general haven't been happy with the car .. what are their main complaints?

My boss at work was a total Saab head, he had been driving 900s, 9000s, etc for years and then bought a 2004 9-3. He absolutely hates it, he says it just doesn't feel or drive like the Saabs of old. One of the things that drew him to the brand was the uniqueness of the brand, he loved the turbo models of the 80s and early 90s, he reckons the 9-3 and 9-5 just do what others do these days, nothing special anymore. He has totally gone off the marque now that it is under GM corporate ownership and will not be buying another one. He knows of other owners who are equally disappointed.

with regards to diesel or petrol .. it doesn't really matter but I would prefer diesel .. however this tends to limit your options on the spec.

Apart from earlier SAAB lovers not liking the car as it has gone from it's roots of the old 900 Turbo etc ... what is the build quality like?

My mileage will not be too high but with the prospect of kids on the horizon it needs to be practical.

I would love an RX8 but a little too steep !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Hello Whippet,

I’ve been driving a 2.0t Saab 9-3 for the last year (changing from an A6 1.8T) – I haven’t looked back since. And as for someone saying the Saab is just an Opel, then that says more about their gullibility in believing in a soundbyte than anything else. The cars share the same platform – that’s all.

Take the car for a test drive, although to get the best out of a Saab you should really get a turbo version. For €35k you could get a couple of years old Aero – a monster of a car. I wouldn’t buy Saab new unless you intend keeping it a minimum of five years.

whippet wrote:
    I would love an RX8 but a little too steep !!

New they are outside your €35k budget but if you are open to a fairly new one then you have options:

http://www.usedcars.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=599577

http://www.usedcars.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=584007

Only downside is poor mpg and the need for an oil top up a bit more regularly than your standard motor. The pros outway the cons here imo.

The 230bhp version is the one to go for but the basic 190bhp version is no snail either.

• Advertisement

for reasons I won't go into the car has to be new!! so the RX8 is out of the question.

on reliability stakes what is the SAAB like, I've heard alot about the passat and I know a few people who have them.

I will take the 9-3 and the Accord for a spin in the next week and let you know how I find it, I have driven the passat before and I quite liked it, it might look somewhat boring but I really liked the interior space and driving position.

As for the legacy, the missus won't have it .. she really hates the look !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

I’ve only had my SAAB a year, and no problems. Hoever, AFAIK the 93 is due a face lift in 2007. I’d hate to buy a car only for it to become “old” within a year.

The new Passat is supposed to be going through problems. VW in general doesn’t have a great reputation. This is surprising, but not as surprising at how long it’s taking for this information to filter into the zeitgeist.

Taking the cars for a test drive is a good idea!

You can get a lot of cars for €35k - Good luck.

whippet wrote:
    As for the legacy, the missus won't have it .. she really hates the look !!
    Women, hey !

My nearest & dearest thinks our Scooby Estate is a beauty - and she has great taste - she married me after all !!!:D

You wll find that lighter colours suit them best:cool:

http://www.subaru.ie/IMGIE/WWW/subaru_ie.nsf/LiveByRef/SDUE-69ALMW?OpenDocument

Mine is the same when it comes to Subarus....she dont like the look of them either. But at least she doesn't choose my car

I heard also that the new Passat is having teething problems. I think the Saab will cost you a lot in depreciation and as some already have said, they are not the car they used to be.

You never answered my question....do you want petrol or diesel?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

You now have me really intrigued as to why it has to be new!
    There are some really really nice 2nd hand cars for the money with all the toys. But needs must!
    From your posts it's seems like you have a slight hankering for a SAAB.
    The Toyota is the one to buy with your sensible head on. The Alfa is the one you buy with your heart (or companies money!). Everything else is in between.
    If you are not doing that many miles why go for a diesel? They are more noisy & less powerful for the same amount of road tax. Pus Diesels are normally poorly specced in this country because of VRT (by this I mean the Diesel is always more expensive so to cut the costs back they minimise on the options to keep the prices down).
    The only thing I find about Hondas is that while they are new they look ultra modern. However once they are a few years old they date very quickly.
    If you are trying to decide on pertol or diesel purely from a cost point of view work out your average yearly mileage (which you probably already know), then look at the MPG figures for your cars, take the price or Petrol & Diesel proces from your local garage & do the sums.

The other thing that has me intrigued is how the OP seems very scared about buying any car thats the base model or entry level spec.
    Why don't you list the "extras" that you have to have, and the ones you'd like to have and we'll see then what fits the bill.

right ... where do I start ....

Petrol or diesel ... I suppose it does not really matter .. but I have driven a 1.6L passat and found it very sluggish .. the next step is the 1.9TDI.

I do have a hankering for the SAAB and this probably has something to do with a childhood love for the 900 Turbo, I will probably be really dissapointed taking the test drive. I do like the look of the current 9-3 mind you.

With regards to spec levels, I want Climate control, at least half leather, decent looking alloys, and as many toys to play with as possible.

A guy I know has the 1.9TDI passat with the half leather, winter pack and integrated phone etc .. which I think came in at about €35K. a good spec for the money IMO.

Auto v Manual does not really bother me, auto would be nice but by no means essential … reliability would be obviously important as I wouldn’t be anywhere near a DIY mechanic. Depreciation isn’t as big as concern as most considering I will be holding on to this car for at least five years.

The astetics of the car are important, I just couldn't live with a bland jap design (I know the passat falls into this bracket but I do like the looks of it) .. I do share the opinion that hondas don't seem to age to well lookswise, but the Accord at the moment is a nice looking card.

I would love to drive the Alfa, but for 35K you would be looking at a 1.6 entry level and that doesn't ignite the fire like the 2L etc.

I might sound vague but hopefully after annoying all the dealers and driving some of the motors I will have a better idea.

Biro wrote:
    The other thing that has me intrigued is how the OP seems very scared about buying any car thats the base model or entry level spec.
    Why don't you list the "extras" that you have to have, and the ones you'd like to have and we'll see then what fits the bill.

it is not so much being scared of the entry spec .. it is more to do with being out of budget.

if the entry list is €35k, which is my budget then anything extra will put me over!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Donie75

I'm looking at buying a Passat 1.9tdi Highline with the Le Mans sport pack, metallic paint, multifunction steering wheel and Ipod dock. On a straight deal with no trade in I'm getting quotes just under €35k. The Le Mans pack includes 17 inch Le Mans alloys, Sports suspension, fog lights and rear tinted windows. A few friens have the new Passat and none have had any problems.
    I know a guy who got a new Saab 93 delivered recently. It was a base model with nice alloys and half leather and I think it cost around €38k.

• Advertisement

that is a nice spec alright .. are they cloth or leather seats?

Advertisement