Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snooker Clubs in Dublin

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 kevkel

i played there from 1963 0nwards and it was the dustiest dirtiest club in dublin but full of character and characters. it was run by the hanlon brothers from rathfarnham
    xabi_a wrote: »
    I know this thread is about places to play now, but I'm getting all nostalgic for the old places long gone:(

Does anybody remember these clubs:

The Orwell, in Rathmines - It's now a Chinese Restaurant I think. It was a real snooker club back in the '80s, no pool tables, no kids, just one little poker machine at the entrance. They played league. That's the place where I played most back then.

"Nat's" in Ranelagh - just across from Jason's, beside Redmond's off-licence. You went in through an anonymous door and he had about 3 full-size tables in 2 separate rooms, with a roaring open fire in one of the rooms! It was super cheap even by '80 standards. Run by an old guy called Nat. Ken Doherty played in there the odd time, when he wasn't in Jasons.

A place in Dame Lane - I only came across this in the early '90s, just before it closed and became the trendy pub 4 Dame Lane. I walked in one day and there were 6 full-size tables, with lots of dusty old junk all around, and an old man behind the desk playing loud classical music on a ghettoblaster - surreal! I never played there, don't know what the name of the place was either. But it looked like something from 50 years ago.

The Shelbourne(?) - down near Ringsend bus station. The building is still there. Back in the '80s when snooker was huge this place opened up and it was the biggest snooker hall around. They even had an electronic scoreboard for their match table.

Others I vaguely remember but was only in once or twice:
    - the Mint, just off Henry St
    - someplace downstairs in O'Connell St, forget the name. Eugene Hughes played there.
    - the Pierrot club, on Bachelor's Walk I think?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭zack01

The cosmo was the club in O' Connell St, I remember the club in Dame Lane too. Spent most of the time sneezing went I played in there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 liammyy

hi to u all do any 1no if there is any snooker club r any where tp play snooker in banch cos wat bk in play

thanks you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

It is tough to read your writing friend, but I am not aware of any clubs in Blanchardstown, if that is what you were asking.

I think Blanchardstown LeisurePlex have two or three tables. Not sure if they are full size. Its at the corner of Blanhardstown shopping centre, by TGI Fridays I think.

Muppet Man

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭claw

Hi,
    I run the Dublin Snooker League Web Site (http://dublinsnookerleagues.dynalias.com) and the snooker clubs who play or have played in the last couple of years in our league are:

Roadstone Sports Club (Kingswood)
    Darcy McGees (formerly Spawell) (Templeogue)
    Willows Snooker Club (Dundrum)
    Glenalbyn Sports Club (Stillorgan)
    Howth CYMS
    Ierne Sports Club (Drumcondra)
    Classic Snooker Club (Finglas)
    Racecourse Snooker Club (Baldoyle)
    Guinness Sports Club
    ALSAA Sports Club
    Sportslink Sports Club (Santry)

There are other clubs in Dublin who do not play in the snooker league. All of the above clubs are happy to have new players playing, although some of the clubs do require memberships.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 HONEI

I used to play in the Orwell back in about 1971. It was a great little place…about 4 tables, run by John and Denis (owner I think). Anto Berney was the best player, would give me 30 up and beat me every time almost! Local lads were Deckie and Joey, and Marty who used to lock up some nights when we would end up trying out trick shots and stuff. Jim McCann, the ballad singer, was a late night visitor. Those days are long gone!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,454 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Darcy McGees (Spawell) is closed and won't be reopening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

What’s the reason for that? I know it shut when Richie retired, but surprised they didn’t find anybody to take over from him

I know they had issues getting staff after covid. Was very quiet up there during the day over the last decade so it could be just a money thing. In the evening they had 10 tables (I think?) being used at 8 quid an hour for 5 hours a day. 6pm to 11pm. At best. So 400 odd quid a day in light fees and maybe the same ish in pints and the odd plate of chips. Isn't sustainable really. Wasnt a big drinking club either.

Theyd do more in one lunchtime carvery downstairs than a week in the snooker hall.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Danye

Is there anywhere now that do flyers, leagues or competitions of any kind and open to average players. I’d love to get back playing.

• Advertisement

Me too. Played a few months ago for the first time in a few years and I was abysmal. Didnt even make a 20. Not that I was ever really good but this was like Id never played the game before.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,039 ✭✭✭COH

Terry Rogers/Fairview Snooker Club closing its door permenantly today.

Sad to see so few clubs left around Dublin.

Thats a shame. Never mind clubs, I wonder how many tables are left to play on in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Sad to see local clubs closing their doors. Sad that Dublin has so few tables now. While the game has had massive exposure and plenty of prize money internationally.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 andy133

Closed down

WST are definitely missing a trick if there aren't clubs easily reachable in towns and cities for the casual punter to go in to play a frame once a week or fortnight. I'd say people would be dying to play a few frames during the winter or when Sheffield is on, but it's too much hassle to drive half way across a city to get to it.

It's a commercial concern running clubs, but I think the Hearns should use their noggins a bit more to see how the club scene could work in urban spaces these days.

Rent and rates is the big thing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Danye

Why would Eddie Hearn be bothered about snooker halls in Dublin? Do you genuinely think he should open clubs in Ireland?

Talking in general as the same issue can be seen around parts of the UK. It is World Snooker Tour, and Ireland is a snooker playing country, so you'd expect the beneficial owners of a World Tour to take some responsibility for the grass roots game. Even if they delegate this out.

And Barry Hearn has owned snooker clubs for 50 years so he should know the business inside out. Again if his son has no interest, delegate it out.

Advertisement