Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snooker Clubs in Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 conburn

celticfc wrote: »

Any news if the pub/nightclub/restaurant/function rooms there are to re-open too?

I was told the restaurant and pub should be open before paddy's day.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Gingy

Great to hear that about Spawell (even it does mean that there'll be another match where chances are we'll get hammered in the league by a 12 year old!)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,885 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

I had been meaning to go down to the spawell all week but only got the chance yesterday afternoon and it was closed. I went into the golf shop underneath and the chap said it would be another couple of weeks until it opens, i was really dissapointed. :(

Has anyone heard what the delay is or talked to anyone about it?

On a good note, work seems to be racing ahead in the bar/lounge/restaurant part with the builders working away.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Tin_Cup

Have heard the re-opening date is the weekend of the 27th March. Hope this is correct!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭gerire

Spawell is now re-open; Most tables re-covered, and if you have been there before aparently you wont recgonise it.
    No night club, that's being used as a function room now

Haven't actually made it down yet as im up to my neck in a project but it's supposed to be looking great.

Dont know the hourly cost either yet but will find out and report

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭zack01

That's great, we need more clubs opening up in Dublin,hopefully more will follow, incedently Cross Guns has been selected to host the 6th RIBSA intermediate snooker tournament on April 17th, delighted for the owner,he's put a lot of work into the club recently, he's had the place overhauled and from a snooker players point of view it's a great place to play. Delighted for the Spawell though we've had a right few matches with them over the years!:)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,885 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

Brilliant, I'll try to make it down tomorrow evening for a few frames and a few pints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

Where is cross guns?

It's located in Phibsboro, the details are on the website www.crossgunssnookerclub.com

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Tin_Cup

Finally got up to the Spawell last night. They have done a nice job doing up the place. Looks very well. The price though has gone up to €12 per hour and they are getting very strict on the dress code. Bouncers around the complex all the time now by the looks of things. Even had one sitting in the snooker room. Was disappointed to hear that the management have no interest at the moment of letting us play league matches from the club next season as they would have to give away a couple of hours free snooker for the matches a week!

• Advertisement

Crossguns Snooker Club 52 years open today and still going strong! Is there any other club open longer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Snookermad

How is the spawell getting on since its reopen?

I havent been up there since a while before it closed but i always used to like it in there. I hope the whole bouncer thing isnt too offputting.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭kildare snooker

shame to see the old places close,i used to play a lot in Blacks snooker club in old bawn in tallaght and the Spawell,couldnt believe it wen i heard spawell had closed good to see it back open hope it goes well

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭DubGF

The league cup finals for DBSL were held in Spawell on Saturday for Division 1 and 2. Willows won the Division 1, while Roadstone G won Division 2.

The place is great, really enjoyed the day.

Tables were superb, good atmosphere, food and drink available as well.

Really impressed with it, its a shame I live the other side of Dublin to play there regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭SD7792

Few questions about crossguns..

1) What are the odds of getting a table quickly on Wednesdays at 2pm or Fridays at 4pm?
    2) Are memberships available, and if so, how much?
    3) Is there places to leave your cue?
    4) Is it open this monday (bank holiday)?

Thanks in advance.

CrossGuns details:

1.As you would imagine the club is very busy this time of year and we cannot guarantee a table would be available at these times.Couple that with the fact that all seven tables have been recently recovered it therefore doubles demand for tables from players across the city.If you have to wait on a table we generally have a good idea of how long the wait will be, complimentary tea/coffee is available also snacks and drinks are available to purchase.

2.CrossGuns does not have membership, it was never required as the club has been built on the basis that snooker was going to be the main interest and not gaming machines pool tables etc that in the long time attract the wrong type of customer.CrossGuns has never felt the need for membership as we always try to attract new potential snooker players.

3.We do have a cue room where cues can be left, however as in all clubs items are left at the customers own risk, we do however accomadate regular customers by taking their cues into the office for safekeeping.

4.CrossGuns is open 364 days of the year 2pm - 11pm the only day we close is Christmas Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭SD7792

Great. Cheers for the quick reply :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

Yes i give a thumbs up for cross guns, nice and homely feel to it and no knackers, hopefully will be going for years to come!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭jesse shortall1

any1 kno if you hav to be a member to play in roadstone,in kingswood?:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 hill16upthedubs

heya mate,

just a quick question,

im going to the pats and bohs game tomorrow
    i have a couple of hours to kill after work was thinking for a frame or 2.

obviously im gonna be wearing a pats jersey, do you reckon that will be ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

any1 kno if you hav to be a member to play in roadstone,in kingswood?:)
    Hi Jesse, I have eat there on Fridays at lunch time (nosh is as good as it gets for less than 10 bucks). Anyway, I asked the gaffer if you had to be a member and he said you didnt... he mentioned 6 euro/hour, which seemed a bit rediculous. He did say that Tuesday (or was it wednesday) nights were busy as they had league games on there. I have no idea of the condition of the tables, havent played yet, but presume they are not too bad.

Cheers
    Muppet Man

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

im gonna be wearing a pats jersey, do you reckon that will be ok.

I cant see how that would ever be OK :P:D

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭xabi_a

I know this thread is about places to play now, but I'm getting all nostalgic for the old places long gone:(

Does anybody remember these clubs:

The Orwell, in Rathmines - It's now a Chinese Restaurant I think. It was a real snooker club back in the '80s, no pool tables, no kids, just one little poker machine at the entrance. They played league. That's the place where I played most back then.

"Nat's" in Ranelagh - just across from Jason's, beside Redmond's off-licence. You went in through an anonymous door and he had about 3 full-size tables in 2 separate rooms, with a roaring open fire in one of the rooms! It was super cheap even by '80 standards. Run by an old guy called Nat. Ken Doherty played in there the odd time, when he wasn't in Jasons.

A place in Dame Lane - I only came across this in the early '90s, just before it closed and became the trendy pub 4 Dame Lane. I walked in one day and there were 6 full-size tables, with lots of dusty old junk all around, and an old man behind the desk playing loud classical music on a ghettoblaster - surreal! I never played there, don't know what the name of the place was either. But it looked like something from 50 years ago.

The Shelbourne(?) - down near Ringsend bus station. The building is still there. Back in the '80s when snooker was huge this place opened up and it was the biggest snooker hall around. They even had an electronic scoreboard for their match table.

Others I vaguely remember but was only in once or twice:
    - the Mint, just off Henry St
    - someplace downstairs in O'Connell St, forget the name. Eugene Hughes played there.
    - the Pierrot club, on Bachelor's Walk I think?

Yes indeed I remember when I played leagues in the late seventies early eighties there were plenty of great clubs, here's a few I remember:
    The Cosmo - O'Connell St
    The Home of Billiards - Batchelors Walk
    Pierrot Clubs - Batchelors Walk, Dun Laoghaire, Ringsend
    Potters - Edenmore
    Potters - Crumlin
    The Star - Drimnagh
    Castle Billiards -Drimnagh
    Tallaght Leisure - Tallaght Village
    The Belgard - Tallaght
    Bills - Fairview
    Rodgers - Fairview
    The Regal Diplomat - Corduff
    The Classic - Finglas
    The Green Baize - Bolton Street
    Langans - Capel Street
    The Aristocrat - Clanbrasil Street
    Joeys - Harminstown
    The Westbury - Malahide
    Bo Diddleys - Rathmines
    Breaks - Drumcondra
    Ballymun Snooker Club
    Then there were the many CYMS and workmans club that had a table or two, a few of my favourites were:
    The Workmans Club - Welington Quay
    The Pioneer Club - Mountjoy Square
    Frederick Street CYMS
    Inchicore Workmans Club
    Howth CYMS

Such a shame they are all gone only real club left is CrossGuns now, it's seen them all come and go and is still flying after 52 years!

Muppet Man wrote: »
    Hi Jesse, I have eat there on Fridays at lunch time (nosh is as good as it gets for less than 10 bucks). Anyway, I asked the gaffer if you had to be a member and he said you didnt... he mentioned 6 euro/hour, which seemed a bit rediculous. He did say that Tuesday (or was it wednesday) nights were busy as they had league games on there. I have no idea of the condition of the tables, havent played yet, but presume they are not too bad.

Cheers
    Muppet Man
    cheers i might head u there for a game

Tables in Roadstone are great, they are originally from the Ivy rooms club in Carlow, cant remember the make but are very nice indeed. league matches would be tuesday and Thursday but they are all finished for the summer

nice gonna drop in sounds good,as i regularly play in cues:D

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Dudley Smith

Is the Spawell definitely back in business? What are the opening times and can you still get a pint upstairs? Thanks!

Spawell is open, its called D'Arcy McGees now I think, it had a website but I cant seem to find it now, the phone number is 01 4907727, tables were smashing the last time I played there about 5 weeks ago.

• Advertisement

Found this from google's lovely cache...

Refurbished Spawell Snooker Club 2010 (Upstairs)
    The old Spawell Snooker Club (D'arcy Mcgees Snooker Room) has re-opened upstairs in Spawell Sports Club. All tables in the refurbished Spawell have been upgraded to a very high standard, with a bar and lowered ceiling also available. Opening hours are from 10am-11.30pm Sunday-Thursday and 10am-12.30am Friday-Saturday. Standard rate is 12 euro per hour, with Under 16's and OAP's rate at 8 euro per hour. Gift cards/loyalty cards are also available which can be bought for 100 euro, which will be topped up with a further 30 euros making the card worth 130 euros. This card can be used for snooker, food and teas and coffees within the snooker room. Any player wishing to join D'arcy Mcgees Snooker Room can download a membership application form from here (link is broken).

Advertisement