Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

M4 - Why are there no speed cameras?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

DonJose wrote:
    Hopefully none of you will have to go through the pain of losing a close family member because of speeding/inexpericence/careless drivers.

Nearly everyone is touched in one way or another by the travesty that is our roads.

Sorry for your loss.

DonJose wrote:
    Hopefully none of you will have to go through the pain of losing a close family member because of speeding/inexpericence/careless drivers. Such a loss gives you a different perspective.

As someone who has lost two uncles on the road. Believe you me I know where you are coming from.

But there is no point coming in here calling people assholes and then retreating to the moral highground when you can't argue your points sensibly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

ronoc wrote:
    As someone who has lost two uncles on the road. Believe you me I know where you are coming from.

But there is no point coming in here calling people assholes and then retreating to the moral highground when you can't argue your points sensibly.

The speed limit is there for a reason, if the road authorities thought it was safe to increase it they would, yet you would still have people breaking an increased speed limit. There was some foul weather last week and the amount of speeders remained unchanged even with low visibility and cross winds. If the only way to enforce this speed limit is by the implementation of speed cameras then I am all for it.

People on this board will not condone drink drivers even if they are just slighty over the legal limit, why does this attitude change when it comes to speeders, speed kills. I'm not looking for sympathy or preaching from a moral highground, I'm just trying to put the point across that speeding kills and Ireland has its fair share of inexperienced drivers on our roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

DonJose wrote:
    The speed limit is there for a reason, if the road authorities thought it was safe to increase it they would, yet you would still have people breaking an increased speed limit. There was some foul weather last week and the amount of speeders remained unchanged even with low visibility and cross winds. If the only way to enforce this speed limit is by the implementation of speed cameras then I am all for it.

People on this board will not condone drink drivers even if they are just slighty over the legal limit, why does this attitude change when it comes to speeders, speed kills. I'm not looking for sympathy or preaching from a moral highground, I'm just trying to put the point across that speeding kills and Ireland has its fair share of inexperienced drivers on our roads.

You havent a clue what your point is, your just going round in circles trying to post something to make out you have a point. Give up because it is embrassing for you now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,045 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

DonJose wrote:
    The speed limit is there for a reason, if the road authorities thought it was safe to increase it they wouldQUOTE]

Its legal to drive at 80kmph on crappy little back roads round wicklow, yet a dual carraigeway (SP) is knocked down to 60kmph. Speed limits are inconsistent in this country, boardering on dangerously stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Kaskade

DonJose wrote:

Speeding per se doesnt kill, Inappropriate speeding does, Germany has the largest amount of derestricted roads in Europe and some of the lowest rates of road deaths (per head of captia)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Out of curiosity, is your "120kph on cruise" according to the speedo (which on most cars will be about 105-110kph), or using a satnav/gps/calibrated system?

I don't condone speeding; if I want to go fast, i go to a track. However, I don't particularly enjoy listening to the sanctimonious preachings/ramblings of a holier-than-thou, be it on the interweb or in real life.

As has been pointed out, motorways are the safest roads we have. By all means get on to the RSA and the TC, waste their time and convince them to use resources which would be of more use on the bad back roads that most people die on on the M4 instead.

As for the new ads, personally I think they're embarrassingly bad, and do not really get their point across, unlike a lot of the drink driving campaign ads used over the last few years (gore gets you every time).

BTW; are those courteous replies from the RSA inividual or a standard letter?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

DonJose wrote:

These kind of comments bug me. Speed alone is not the issue in terms of incidents. Inappropriate speed is. Just because someone drives within the speed limit does not make it safe yet they will not be captuerd by speed cameras. Driving over the speed limit *may* be safe however.
    Now, given the low incident rate on motorways, why waste garda time/resources if they can be better served elsewhere on the road network?
    As for the speed limits and youor inference that Local Authorities know best - now you are just being naive! It is quite common for a road to have an inappropriate speed limit on it - this has even been agreed by our ministers for transport.
    DonJose wrote:
    Hopefully none of you will have to go through the pain of losing a close family member because of speeding/inexpericence/careless drivers. Such a loss gives you a different perspective.
    Now are we talking about speeding or inexperience or carelessness? The three are not necessarily the same!
    Sparks400 wrote:
    Any chance this delightful thread could be lockeded Kbannon, the OP has probably all the answers he's going to get
    I think I'll let it go on for another hour or two. Im finding it interesting and amusing reading this guff!

Tauren wrote:
    DonJose wrote:
    The speed limit is there for a reason, if the road authorities thought it was safe to increase it they would

Its legal to drive at 80kmph on crappy little back roads round wicklow, yet a dual carraigeway (SP) is knocked down to 60kmph. Speed limits are inconsistent in this country, boardering on dangerously stupid.

Agreed. One notable example is the main road from Naas to Kilcullen. It used to be 60 mph but was dropped to 80kmh(50mph) when speed limits became metric.

The reason? It is now classed as a regional road. The road hasn't changed at all.

Another similar one is the Naas to Newbridge dual carriageway which in the stroke of a bureaucratic pen was reduced from 60 mph to 80kph(50mph).

Edit: fix quotes

Fey! wrote:
    Out of curiosity, is your "120kph on cruise" according to the speedo (which on most cars will be about 105-110kph), or using a satnav/gps/calibrated system?

BTW; are those courteous replies from the RSA inividual or a standard letter?
    Thats cruise control according to the speedo and always in the outside lane, only using the overtaking lane, when overtaking.

It was a personal reply from the CEO of the RSA.

• Advertisement

kbannon wrote:
    Now are we talking about speeding or inexperience or carelessness? The three are not necessarily the same!

All three applied in this case, inexperienced learner driver overtaking and losing control of her car as she rejoined traffic.
    kbannon wrote:
    I think I'll let it go on for another hour or two. Im finding it interesting and amusing reading this guff!

Thats so kind of you. I'm glad to see the title of moderator hasn't gotten to your head.

DonJose wrote:
    Thats cruise control according to the speedo and always in the outside lane, only using the overtaking lane, when overtaking.

The same RSA that adviced people when they were tired to pull over, have a cup of coffee then try to sleep?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 peadair 11

DonJose - I think your time is up,,
    What a ridulous thread to post in the first place..
    I travel the M4 5 Days a week and never seen 1 Crash even though a majority are touching 140 - 160 KPH

Let the speed continue !!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

I dont condone speeding either. I dont exceed the speed limit anywhere, and I get pi**ed off listening to those who try and justify speeding.

Sure the M4 is a great road, and I believe the newly completed N4 section to Tyrellspass should be Motorway status.

The problem with habitual speeders is that the problem is not contained within Motorways, ie. those who exceed the speed limit on motorways are hardly going to obey speed limits on all the other roads.

Thats why the guards target such spots, I've been told.

Theres a section of the Athlone Bypass with a special speed limit of 50kmh at the moment, and a lot of workers/constuction traffic on the eastbound hard shoulder.
    Anyone that passed me this morning on this section was not even driving within the normal speed limit, let alone the special limit. I'm sure many who drove through there did so without the faintest comprehension of what would happen if they needed to brake hard on a mucky dirty carraigeway. I'm certain that even less would have been able to stop their car safely, if they had to.

Limits are there for a reason - they're limits, not guidelines to be taken with a pince of salt by those who know better than everyone else.

\puts on flak jacket\

gyppo wrote:
    I dont condone speeding either. I dont exceed the speed limit anywhere, and I get pi**ed off listening to those who try and justify speeding.

Sure the M4 is a great road, and I believe the newly completed N4 section to Tyrellspass should be Motorway status.

The problem with habitual speeders is that the problem is not contained within Motorways, ie. those who exceed the speed limit on motorways are hardly going to obey speed limits on all the other roads.

Thats why the guards target such spots, I've been told.

Come off it, there is a big difference between putting the boot down on a deserted motorway and travelling through a builtup area at speed.

peadair 11 wrote:
    Let the speed continue !!!!!

More like, Let the arrogance continue.

PS : Do a search on rte.ie for the number of people killed on the M4.

DonJose wrote:

Do you mean that the RSA CEO is suggesting to use cruise control when overtaking only?
    Anyhow, Fey! was trying to tell you that most speedos over-read by up to 10% so when it reads 120km/h your real speed may be 105 to 100km/h so these people you consider to be attempting murder are driving legally!
    DonJose wrote:
    Thats so kind of you. I'm glad to see the title of moderator hasn't gotten to your head.
    What makes you think the role has gone to my head? Im just not closing the thread as I don't want to!

ronoc wrote:
    Come off it, there is a big difference between putting the boot down on a deserted motorway and travelling through a builtup area at speed.

There is, thats not exactly the point I was making though.

Are you saying that those who break the speed limit on motorways obey every other speed limit with godfearing reverence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 peadair 11

DonJose wrote:

Have a look to see how many people have been killed on the new motorway which we are discussing here !!!!!
    http://www.roaddeaths.ie/

kbannon wrote:
    Do you mean that the RSA CEO is suggesting to use cruise control when overtaking only?
    NO!!!

Fey asked : BTW; are those courteous replies from the RSA inividual or a standard letter?

I replied : It was a personal reply from the CEO of the RSA.

• Advertisement

gyppo wrote:
    There is, thats not exactly the point I was making though.

Are you saying that those who break the speed limit on motorways obey every other speed limit with godfearing reverence?

Yes.

ronoc wrote:
    Yes.

Fair enough so.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

ronoc wrote:
    Yes.
    In all fairness, i'm not sure I could go along with that. The problem with clearly inappropriate speed limits on certain roads is that it devalues our respect for speed limits in general. It would be nice to know, when driving on a strange road, that the limit was genuinely the highest appropriate limit for that road.

gyppo wrote:
    Fair enough so.:rolleyes:

I'm trying to illustrate how overly simplistic your yes/no question was.

Of course out of those people who speed on motorways there are more likely a higher percentage breaking all speed limits. But its unfair to ask the question in the way you did.

DonJose wrote:

Nothing found there!
    However, just because there is a fatality somewhere does not automatically mean that the cause was speeding.
    wrote:
    Have a look to see how many people have been killed on the new motorway which we are discussing here !!!!!
    http://www.roaddeaths.ie/
    1 esult - a pedestrian (possibly drunk) who IIRC was crossing the motorway!!!!!!!

ronoc wrote:
    I'm trying to illustrate how overly simplistic your yes/no question was.

Of course out of those people who speed on motorways there are more likely a higher percentage breaking all speed limits. But its unfair to ask the question in the way you did.

Well, it was framed in the same manner as your overly simplistic interpretation of my post.:)

peadair 11 wrote:
    I was mistaken, there were 3 deaths on the N4 which is basically a continuation of the M4. Same road dimensions, but reduced road speed.

Regarding the quote above, the Concorde had a 100% safety record until its last flight!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

DonJose wrote:
    Regarding the quote above, the Concorde had a 100% safety record until its last flight!!!
    Although never in agreement with you, I was vaguely sympathetic to the way you were being treated here - until you came out with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭6ix

DonJose wrote:
    I was mistaken, there were 3 deaths on the N4 which is basically a continuation of the M4. Same road dimensions, but reduced road speed.

None of those deaths back up what you're trying to prove. None of the three happened on the motorway.
    One involved a pedestrian crossing a dual carriageway,
    One happened at those ill advised junctions on said dual carriageway,
    The third happened on single lane carriageway.

None have anything to do with the M4 or its speed limits.

• Advertisement

DonJose wrote:

I was going to say something but 6ix said it for me!

Now is there any more to be said on this matter?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement