Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

M4 - Why are there no speed cameras?

Options
  • 18-01-2007 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭

I travel the M4 frequently and see my fair share of speeders, why are there no permanent speed cameras on this motorway? There is one towards the end, just after where the M4 ends.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

There are plenty of speed checks, hair-dryers and the Gatso. I'd say it's a nice money spinner as it is. I'd rather see a speed camera outside a school or hospital than on a 2/3 lane dual-carraigeway tbh :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

DonJose wrote:
    I travel the M4 frequently and see my fair share of speeders, why are there no permanent speed cameras on this motorway? There is one towards the end, just after where the M4 ends.
    Because it's a motorway on which speeds of 160km/h can be safely attained? Or so i'd like to think.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭SGKM

Anan1 wrote:
    Because it's a motorway on which speeds of 160km/h can be safely attained? Or so i'd like to think.;)

Completely agree!

The LAST thing that we need are speed cameras on motorways!!! I cant believe that a motorist actually thinks that speed cameras are a good idea on motorways!

0.8% of fatal and injury collisions occur on motorways according to the NRA Road Collision Facts 2004.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Sparks400 wrote:
    There are plenty of speed checks, hair-dryers and the Gatso. I'd say it's a nice money spinner as it is. I'd rather see a speed camera outside a school or hospital than on a 2/3 lane dual-carraigeway tbh :)
    I travel the M4 alot and have never seen one (thank god)

It's a great road - would be even better if people knew how to use motorways :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

DonJose wrote:

Shut up for christ sake man....:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,477 ✭✭✭maidhc

commited wrote:
    I travel the M4 alot and have never seen one (thank god)

It all depends on your concept of a speeder. :)

I know I was called a "speeder" by an annoying so-in-so in a Seicento who I had to endure for 3 miles at 30mph on twisty roads (albeit ones which can safely be navigated at 50mph), before getting the opportunity to overtake.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Onkle wrote:
    Shut up for christ sake man....:p
    I'll shut up when aholes like you slow down ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

maidhc wrote:
    It all depends on your concept of a speeder. :)

I know I was called a "speeder" by an annoying so-in-so in a Seicento who I had to endure for 3 miles at 30mph on twisty roads (albeit ones which can safely be navigated at 50mph), before getting the opportunity to overtake.
    Sorry I meant a speed camera.

Certainly dont consider that a "speeder" ;) Its a pet hate of mine - a slow driver ruining a lovely drive down some backroads.

Don hose - whats your definition of a "speeder"?

• Registered Users Posts: 64,800 ✭✭✭✭unkel

DonJose wrote:
    I'll shut up when aholes like you slow down ;)

Winky or no winky, there's no need for personal insults. You're getting away with a warning this time. Next time you're banned

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

To be honest this is the safest road in this country. Little traffic and almost no off/on ramps.
    Speed limit should actually be increased on it! Well between Kinnegad and the kilcock toll booth anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭Gerry

I'm pretty sure there are a proportion of road users who don't have any intention of driving at the 120 km/h limit on motorways like the m4.
    When you pass one of these muppets out, doing 120 km/h, they probably class you as a "speeder".
    This is far worse on the m1, where you see plenty of people doing 60 - 70 km/h, nearly causing massive accidents. The m4 has pretty good lane discipline, a sizeable amount of people on it seem to know what lane to be in, which is strange in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,459 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

On the M50 a while back, we had a Toyota Avensis 04/06-WX (can't remember the year), travelling at 70kph in the overtaking lane. EVERYONE who caught up to him would end up undertaking (completely clear road), I was taking the next exit, so flashed him before changing lane, then onto the off ramp, about a km later, a merc caught up to him, and the avensis tried double tapping the brakes, Merc just undertook him.

You really have to wonder what was going through the avensis drivers mind travelling 70kph all the way, i'd hate to be stuck behind all the way to Wexford.

Gerry wrote:
    The m4 has pretty good lane discipline, a sizeable amount of people on it seem to know what lane to be in, which is strange in Ireland.
    Drivers on the M4 might have good discipline but on the N4 southboud after the red the driving is very poor with the majority driving in the middle lane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Jakey

OP

I've a great idea .... Go join the garda reserve and make a big difference !!! NOT!

What a muppet. How would putting speed cameras there save accidents on back roads at 3 and 4 in the morning??

I'd rather they spent the money with random drink driving tests than speed cameras pure money spinner we give the government enough as it is at the minute!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

DonJose wrote:

Was on the M4 on Tuesday, great road and seen drivers using it alot better than any other motorway I have been driving on a long time.

OP is prob one of those drivers that sits in the overtaking lane going 120Kmph and not letting anyone pass and causing more hastle than any speeder on the road, then comes on and moans about it.

Personally I don't break the speed limit, if its 120kph I'll drive at 120kph with my cruise control on. For those who think the M4 is a great motorway, you should travel a little more. The motorways abroad are as straight as railway lines unlike the cr@p they build here.

If the Irish learned how to drive then I wouldn't be as pi$$ed off. Every car comes with indicators as standard, why don't the out idiots use them. When you do overtake how about NOT pulling back in just 2 meters in front of me when there is no traffic in front. When it rains or when its getting dark how about putting on some light.

Looks like those road saftey ads on RTE blow right over you guys. We have 400,000 learner drivers out there and it shows, especially on this board.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Kaskade

DonJose wrote:
    Personally I don't break the speed limit, if its 120kph I'll drive at 120kph with my cruise control on. For those who think the M4 is a great motorway, you should travel a little more. The motorsways abroad are as straight railway links unlike the cr@p they build here.

If the Irish learned how to drive then I wouldn't be as pi$$ed off. Every car comes with indicators as standard, why don't the out idiots use them. When you do overtake how about NOT pulling back in 2 meters in front of me when there is no traffic in front. When it rains or when its getting dark how about putting on some light.

Looks like those road saftey ads on RTE blow right over you guys. We have 400,000 learner drivers out there and it shows, especially on this board.

I've driven a few thousand miles in the UK over the last few months and although they often have 3 lanes very very few of their motorways had anything like the surface quality of the M4,

Big Nelly wrote:
    OP is prob one of those drivers that sits in the overtaking lane going 120Kmph and not letting anyone pass and causing more hastle than any speeder on the road, then comes on and moans about it.

I'm happy to drive in the outside line, when I overtake I do so in the correct manner and pull back in when its safe to do so. See my above post, which one are you???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 peadair 11

I ama fully paid member of the M4 which in my opionion works very well because it is not policed. People want to get home from work and Get 20-30KPH over the limit does no harm, Fantastic road well worth the toll money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 peadair 11

I am a fully paid member of the M4 which in my opionion works very well because it is not policed. People want to get home from work and Get 20-30KPH over the limit does no harm, Fantastic road well worth the toll money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,477 ✭✭✭maidhc

I'm off to get a bucket of popcorn and watch this thread unfold. :)

LOL hold the butter on that popcorn. I've already got enough fodder on this thread and have forwarded this thread to my contacts at the RSA and the Traffic Corp ;) Funny how ones arrogance will backfire ;) Thanks all.

DonJose wrote:
    For those who think the M4 is a great motorway, you should travel a little more. The motorways abroad are as straight as railway lines unlike the cr@p they build here.
    DonJose wrote:
    DonJose wrote:
    I'll shut up when aholes like you slow down :rolleyes: .
    Surely you can communicate your points better than this.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

DonJose wrote:
    LOL hold the butter on that popcorn. I've already got enough fodder on this thread and have forwarded this thread to my contacts at the RSA and the Traffic Corp ;) Funny how ones arrogance will backfire ;) Thanks all.
    What do you expect the RSA & the traffic corp to do or are you just wanting to waste their time by reading your mail and this thread?

The RSA are very receptive to corresponce they receive. I've received courteous replies from the CEO in relation to threads here which I have brought to their attention. The same applies to the Guards.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

that doesn't answer my question - what are you going to say? Will you tell them that people like to speed on motorways? Im sure that they will appreciate being given this bit of info as they possibly aren't aware of it.

DonJose wrote:
    The RSA are very receptive to corresponce they receive. I've received courteous replies from the CEO in relation to threads here which I have brought to their attention. The same applies to the Guards.

Ya, I'm sure they'll act on:
    DonJose: "Hello, is this the Traffic Corp? This is DonJose here and I have it on good authority that Big Nelly speeds/overtakes dangerously on the M4 along with a lot of those other boardies"

DonJose wrote:

Any chance this delightful thread could be lockeded Kbannon, the OP has probably all the answers he's going to get

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭SGKM

DonJose wrote:
    I've already got enough fodder on this thread and have forwarded this thread to my contacts at the RSA and the Traffic Corp ;) Funny how ones arrogance will backfire ;) Thanks all.

edit: yes you might! warning applied!

DonJose wrote:
    Personally I don't break the speed limit, if its 120kph I'll drive at 120kph with my cruise control on. For those who think the M4 is a great motorway, you should travel a little more. The motorways abroad are as straight as railway lines unlike the cr@p they build here.

If the Irish learned how to drive then I wouldn't be as pi$$ed off. Every car comes with indicators as standard, why don't the out idiots use them. When you do overtake how about NOT pulling back in just 2 meters in front of me when there is no traffic in front. When it rains or when its getting dark how about putting on some light.

Good for you.

Motorways are statisticly the safest type of roads. Gardai and speed cameras are better off using their resources to save lives rather than shooting fish in a barrel on motorways.

I think you are just more annoyed about people overtaking you when you are sticking to the speed limit.

• Advertisement

Hopefully none of you will have to go through the pain of losing a close family member because of speeding/inexpericence/careless drivers. Such a loss gives you a different perspective.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement