Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite Shops in Waterford

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭mad man

Jambo wrote:
    Seemin that someone mentioned darrers , does anyone remember these few from memory lane , KK Discount , The old L +N on barronstrand st , and wolleys ( think thats how it was spelt )

And can anybody remind me of the name of a little toy / bric a brac shop which 2 old ladies ran i think was on gladstone st and then moved to a small premises on o'connell st more or less beside dennys covers ?

I remeber the old L&N well where Broad st. centre used to be.I used to love this place.It had a lot of character and you could smell the ground coffee.Like Chapmans its a pity its gone.You could smell the ground coffee from Chapmans in Barronstrand St and it gave the place great character.It is a real loss IMO.It was one of only three places in Ireland (Bewleys being one of the other) that blended their own cofee.Those were the days.

KK discount was great too for cheap toys.

When Woolworths closed back in 84 I think, Penneys took it over the premises.

Over in Arundal Square someone opened a discount store called Wooleys.It had the same style shelving and stuff and a rip off of the Woloworths logo.There is a hairdressers I think there now.

If it wasn't for places like the discounts stores half the town would have been ****ed.

Hard Times though nice memories:)

Simpler times too but no-one knew it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Chapman's was a real loss all right. If it could have survived just a few years longer it might have done better. People have money and more exotic tastes now.

In the 18/19th centuries coffee was blended everywhere from the beans, and Waterford, like all prosperous port cities, had it's fair share of coffee houses. Then came instant coffee and the growing popularity of tea, and it declined to its present state... The practice might come back though.

merlante wrote:
    Chapman's was a real loss all right. If it could have survived just a few years longer it might have done better. People have money and more exotic tastes now.

In the 18/19th centuries coffee was blended everywhere from the beans, and Waterford, like all prosperous port cities, had it's fair share of coffee houses. Then came instant coffee and the growing popularity of tea, and it declined to its present state... The practice might come back though.

I remember in the 80's there was a perception it was pricey.This was no doubt due to the economic situation.Strangely enough someone had a coffee stall in the Jenkins Lane market recemtly trading under the name chapmans.Same signage and everything.So maybe one day?

Somebody mentioned Winstons.I was in Bray about three years ago and lo and behold there was a Winstons.It could be still there even.God it was the exact same nearly as the one in Waterford although smaller.It was so tacky and the gear looked very cheap.Back in the day though everyone used to shop there and were not ashamed to say so.It shows you how things have changed in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭JMcL

mad man wrote:
    I remember in the 80's there was a perception it was pricey.This was no doubt due to the economic situation.Strangely enough someone had a coffee stall in the Jenkins Lane market recemtly trading under the name chapmans.Same signage and everything.So maybe one day?

I remember that, but being a relative Waterford newbie, hadn't realised that Chapmans was a Waterford institution. I bought some coffe beans from that stall, and was really disappointed. They were completely stale, and had probably been roasted months before. A good coffee/tea shop would be nice. Something along the lines of Mahers in Cork

JMcL wrote:
    I remember that, but being a relative Waterford newbie, hadn't realised that Chapmans was a Waterford institution. I bought some coffe beans from that stall, and was really disappointed. They were completely stale, and had probably been roasted months before. A good coffee/tea shop would be nice. Something along the lines of Mahers in Cork

That's disapointing to hear.I remember as a kid if you went into town in the morning you would smell the coffee up past the book centre and down along the quay.Especially in Spring on the cool mornings.I don't know if you knew where it was.The laneway at the rear of Georges Court that brings you out onto the Quay.It was quite exotic and old worldish.As was the L&N in broad St.The business that is to your imediate left when you exit the laneway used to be chapmans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

Ah Darrers, my uncle was the stores General Manager, we used to park down the back and take the lift down to the store. The Butcher on one side of the lift, and a small off licence on the other side where a friend of my mums used to work. Sometimes he would let us make announcements on the P.A. (ah the memories.. to be 5 again :p )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Ah the lift! Christ good memories. I had to go on it a couple of times with me mother. Can't remember why though. lol It was class though. Albeit a bit scary!!! Musta been the oldest lift in the world! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭brown*eyed*girl

Asmodean wrote:
    Ah the lift! Christ good memories. I had to go on it a couple of times with me mother. Can't remember why though. lol It was class though. Albeit a bit scary!!! Musta been the oldest lift in the world! :D

Me too. My Nanny (RIP) loved that shop and used to get her shopping there the whole time. Don't know why we went in the lift either but it was mad! I also remember my Nanny used to get dockets to spend there which I think was a bit like a club i.e. you got store credit to spend the dockets & then paid it back each week. I was sad to see Darrers close as it was a real friendly place.

Speaking of the auld days here some ones I remember:

The Odeon Cafe (was in Barronstrand steet roughly where Sasha is now)
    Burgerland (where Sony shop is now)
    KK Discount (where Kavanaghs is now)
    Winstons (Rubys now)
    Wimpy (cafe outside city square now)
    Stripes (where Book Centre is now)
    Savoy Bingo (Supermacs now)
    Beefy King
    Greasy Neds ;)
    Betty Mahonys (Brennans, Yellow Road)
    First Pound Shop in Waterford (in Red Square)

Love those memories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Hahah, Greasy Neds.
    Worst chips in the town :D
    That's going back a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Minfadlek

Hahah, Greasy Neds.
    Worst chips in the town
    That's going back a bit.

Remember Delacattos, in Johnstown.... ?!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭deisemum

One of my memories of my first visit to Waterford was The Chuck Wagon, around where Supermacs is now. :D

Minfadlek wrote:

I do indeed. And the old cans of Canada Dry. ;)

Now it's a store room for Muldoons, the place looks a disgrace. :mad:

Minfadlek wrote:
    Practically spent my adolescence there! I was bit of an arcade addict, Have to say I never got a bag of chips there though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭derdoh

I remember the shop across from the park where the garage is now,the two old woman speaking irish i cant remember what it woz called tho something in irish i fink ha ha them were the days!:D

Siopa an Pairce I think, one of them was Alice as far as I can remember.

Roen wrote:
    Practically spent my adolescence there! I was bit of an arcade addict, Have to say I never got a bag of chips there though.

You'd remember the seedy and scumbag ridden Jackpot then? :) I risked my life in there occasionally for a few games of pool. I never did venture into Pot Black though -- too many scumbags outside looking for teppences for faaheeeeegs.

Ahhhhhh, The Jackpot, I remember it with great fondness. Along with 'The Gloss' and Dellas it was where I spent many an hour. They were kind of a bit scummy but not all that bad.
    A little off topic, but did anyone here see The Smiths when they played in The Savoy (gloss)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 kead1987

To those who mentioned People of Oslo, it really is a great shop for clothes. Bought a zip up hoody in there - best item of clothing Ive ever bought, but it was €95. The prices in there are outrageous, but the quality of clothing is superb. That little cafe in that shopping centre is gone now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 witgirl85

old entrance to la palma where winstons was???? does anyone no was it there long and was it actually the entrance???

• Registered Users Posts: 10 ive1

These may help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

witgirl85 wrote: »
    old entrance to la palma where winstons was???? does anyone no was it there long and was it actually the entrance???

Yes it was the entrance, was there for a few years I think. The top floor was Pot Black snooker club,entrance to that was next to the Woodman.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,417 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Roen wrote: »
    Siopa an Pairce I think, one of them was Alice as far as I can remember.

or Mad Alice as she was affectionately known to all De La Salle lads...jesus we gave those two women pure misery. However they gave as good as they got, often rushing at us with a sweeping brush
    All in good fun, they seemed to like it :D

not sure if it's there anymore but there was a tobacconist (and a barbers at the back) beside Darrers/Mc Donalds. We always used to pop in there to check out the Zippo lighters and penknives. Used to love the smell in there, pipe tobacco hmmmm.

merlante wrote: »
    You'd remember the seedy and scumbag ridden Jackpot then? :) I risked my life in there occasionally for a few games of pool. I never did venture into Pot Black though -- too many scumbags outside looking for teppences for faaheeeeegs.

yep, I remember Pot Black, but I was more of a Sully's customer, spent many a Saturday afternoon there playing Golden Axe and trying to avoiding getting hassle/slaps from scumbags. As I got older we used to spend a few hours of a Friday evening upstairs playing snooker...with a few sneaky cans in the bag.

Advertisement