Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite Shops in Waterford

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭JMcL

mad man wrote:
    Kilo's?
    Spices, all sorts of weird and wonderful beans, rices, dried fruit, nuts etc. Orange shop that looks a bit like a mobile phone shop at first glance on the left as you're heading down the street

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Green Shield Stamps shop down on O'Connell St. You can't go past it for household stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭bullpost

Johnny Hearnes - An "institution"!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

Subway, O'Briens, Bagel Factory, Book Centre.. thats about it. There are loads of feckin clothes shops and so little for anything else like handy places to eat, computer/electronic stores, games stores and so on. We could really use a Virgin or HMV, and certainly a better cinema like UCI, Ster Century and so on.

Though there is Micheal Guiney's... :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

B&Q are apparently due to open a Waterford branch sometime this year. We were in the in the Cork store the other day, and somebody in customer service told us. She wasn't sure when or where exactly, but I'd assume it'll be somewhere out on the ring road

• Registered Users Posts: 13,764 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Not much love for Waterford shops around here eh?!
    There's a few clothes shops around that I like: Route 66, Pure, Impact and the People of Oslo (When feeling flush!).

Not much variety around though, whether university status for WIT or something else would change that I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭deisemum

I think B&Q are going behind the Waterford Crystal Pool on the Cork Road. There was a lot of complaining about losing the football pitches due to them being sold to B&Q a while back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

JMcL wrote:
    B&Q are apparently due to open a Waterford branch sometime this year. We were in the in the Cork store the other day, and somebody in customer service told us. She wasn't sure when or where exactly, but I'd assume it'll be somewhere out on the ring road

It's being built out on the Six Cross road at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 744 ✭✭✭angry_fox

JPA wrote:
    People of Oslo
    Some price for a pair of jeans in there :). JC Originals by the cinema aint to bad. Might not be a shop but one place any lad should go at least once for a pint is tom mahers pub

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Rawr!

Are there only the two book shops? Tall Tales and the Book Centre?

I'm looking for a book shop... with em.... books that wouldn't be found in these shops.... Usually I can only get them on Amazon.... Cryptozoology books?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Minfadlek

For a bit of Nostalgia, what about "Heary's" up the Cross , or May O'Regan's..
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭mad man

Rawr! wrote:

I'm looking for a book shop... with em.... books that wouldn't be found in these shops.... Usually I can only get them on Amazon.... Cryptozoology books?

That's about it.

mad man wrote:
    That's about it.

That's bad form that is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Photi

The gift shop near the post office on the quay, think it used to be a newsagents.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Rawr! wrote:

there's another book shop on the quay, between the munster express and centra.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

there's another book shop on the quay, between the munster express and centra.

Then there are other shops, though not necessarily great, such as World of Wonder, which supposedly have books but which I haven't seen, and Porters, which isin't great.

God be with the days when Scholars was a separate book shop. Now look at it.

Yeah, I've seen the books in World of Wonder... I got the nicest Shark book ever.... Photography book... It's lovely... Got a book on Dinosaurs there too...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

Tall tales is my favorite shop in waterford. Theres a nice selection of books and its the only place i've seen with a decent range of warhammer stuff. The owner is really nice as well. If you want a book or something and he doesnt have it, he will order it in for ya. Its just so relaxing compared to the book centre.

Yeah true...... wobbles..... LOL....

I ordered a Java book there ;)

Not that it did me any good ;)

• Advertisement

wobbles wrote:
    Tall tales is my favorite shop in waterford. Theres a nice selection of books and its the only place i've seen with a decent range of warhammer stuff. The owner is really nice as well. If you want a book or something and he doesnt have it, he will order it in for ya. Its just so relaxing compared to the book centre.

Where is Tall Tales?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Michael Street, where the reef used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Tall tales rocks. It's a great shop. I love all the classic stock they have also. Oh btw, Zhivago closed down because it was a fire hazard apparently. No adjacent fire exits. They recently closed down one of their stores up here in Galway too."The original small one in eyre square."

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭PetraMac

As someone else said, People of Oslo is a mecca for clothes lovers in Waterford - women's and men's. It's like a hidden gem - Diesel, French Connection, Miss Sixty, Ted Baker, and other cool labels. AND Sevens jeans - for which you would have to make a trip to BT in Dublin/Cork before. I know it's seriously pricey but a city needs a wide range of shops and this is just at the expensive end of the market. It's relaxed at the same time, you can browse as long as you like without feeling pressurised, and the assistants are more than willing to help you by getting different sizes for you while you're trying stuff on. And no I don't work for them!! :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭manonthemoon

Darrers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

Darrers

ah the memories

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

Seemin that someone mentioned darrers , does anyone remember these few from memory lane , KK Discount , The old L +N on barronstrand st , and wolleys ( think thats how it was spelt )

And can anybody remind me of the name of a little toy / bric a brac shop which 2 old ladies ran i think was on gladstone st and then moved to a small premises on o'connell st more or less beside dennys covers ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭bullpost

Do you mean Wileys?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Minfadlek

... Could be Woolies, there was a Woolworths in Arundal Square, I think... !!
    And about Winstons, where Rubys is located now... !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

Minfadlek wrote:
    ... Could be Woolies, there was a Woolworths in Arundal Square, I think... !!
    And about Winstons, where Rubys is located now... !

No woollies was where penneys is now this was down in o'connell st / gladstone st ( i think ) i def remember it moving to o'connell st beside denneys covers accross from bowes butchers

Advertisement