Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dan And Becs- RTE 2

Options
  • 04-01-2007 12:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭

Have seen about 10 ads for this on RTE 2 in the last 2 hours. Starts next Monday night.

A fresh new comedy of life, love and manners, Dan and Becs intercuts the video diaries of the two main characters as they discuss their tumultuous love-life, their blossoming careers, and the many perils of living life on Dublin's Southside. Half a year in and Dan and Becs are viewing their eventful relationship in a new light. While Becs sees their recent spat up in Club 92 as a small glitch in an otherwise blissful six months, Dan suspects the couple are now skating on thin ice…

Sounds like a screen version of Ross O'Carroll Kelly?
    I await the first episode with baited breath. I am eagerly anticipating.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭gucci

this is either going to be mediocre or absolute poo....theres no higher or middle ground for original new rte "comedy" these days

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

well the name is pants anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 33,108 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

It'll be a rip off of something done in the UK three years ago.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 listerdave

Dan & Becs Promo/Preview on Youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlL1sREvtCE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RGJv29gU4M

Dan & Becs RTE website

http://www.rte.ie/tv/danandbecs/index.html

Dan's Bebo Page

http://irishpartylad.bebo.com

Becs's Bebo Page

http://poshbecs.bebo.com

Southside Bebo Page

http://southsidedublin.bebo.com

Dan & Becs starts Monday 8th at 10.55 on RTE 2

• Registered Users Posts: 33,108 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Hmmm.... looks more interesting than I gave it credit for. Thought it was a dodgy sitcom, but seems to be more of a mockumentary a la Paths To Freedom...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

so is this mockumentry (sp) in the same vain as path to freedom (that was very good!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Geek Nose

I friend of mine wrote, directed, and acted in this (he's "Dan"). It really is well done, and it's miles apart from the usual RTE tripe!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Whats the deal with the exaggerated D4 accents on them? Is it on purpose? I've only seen the ad's but it reminds me a lot of Ross O'Carroll Kelly and Sorcha Lalor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Wheels

It's Ross & Sorcha minus a few bells and whistles. Looks interesting though and setting up fake bebo pages is a very nice touch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

Wheels wrote:
    It's Ross & Sorcha minus a few bells and whistles. Looks interesting though and setting up fake bebo pages is a very nice touch.

quite unoriginal at this stage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭:|

quite unoriginal at this stage
    still good though, They look very real

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Well at least RTE seem to be trying. I'll give it a gander. Have to admit, the more I watch the adds, the more it makes me chuckle. Hopefully it'll be great and lead the way for more Irish shows being made (and then I can start writing them and become rich. Or so goes the plan!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭nodger

Wheels wrote:
    It's Ross & Sorcha minus a few bells and whistles.

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but why in God's name didn't they just work on adapting the RO'CK books for TV? Nothing RTE does is going to come close, and will only look like a cheap rip-off in comparison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

nodger wrote:
    but why in God's name didn't they just work on adapting the RO'CK books for TV?

We are talking about RTE!
    I'm sure they'd rather waste our license fee on much more original
    tripe like sending Charlie Bird to the Amazon or flying the god-squad
    staff to Oz for the christmas mass than actually pay for the rights
    to adapt the ROCK books properly.

Me thinks this Dan & Becs will be pants, it is RTE after all.

Now if TV3 werent happy being ITV-lite they could wipe RTE's nose in this poo
    by actually buying the rights for ROCK and making a half decent program...
    but I suppose that would involve TV3 entering virgin waters and actually
    making a drama program.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

No idea what this show is like but that youtube trailer has certainly convinced it'd be a worthwhile idea to never find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

It looks criminally bad....even if it is a mock-umentary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Nightwish wrote:
    Whats the deal with the exaggerated D4 accents on them? Is it on purpose?
    Can't say for yer one becs but I know for a FACT that Dan is speaking in his own regular accent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭plonk

Is that it ?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Seemed well written and well edited together, but it just wasn't funny in any way, and I have no interest in seeing the next one.

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

D4 accents wtf? They don't have "D4" accents, sounds like a pretty normal accent to me.

As for the show, bit annoying the way it kept continuously flicking from one to the other but it was alright, will watch the next one anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭ct_roy

jeepers that was quite short for all the air time the ads have been getting.

not really that great tbh - will give it another chance tomorrow night though

not half as witty as a decent ross episode in the tribune though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

OMG that was embarrassing ugh!

Roight OMG ya ya Roight!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

ct_roy wrote:
    jeepers that was quite short for all the air time the ads have been getting.

not really that great tbh - will give it another chance tomorrow night though

not half as witty as a decent ross episode in the tribune though
    Yeah it was quite short, but it was a good length. Any longer and I think I'd of switched channel as the continous flicking was tiresome.

I suppose its like two short vblogs edited together, interesting format really.

It was hurting my brain really. If they had made it into a half hour show and had proper scenes aswell as the talking heads it might have worked. Cheap rip off of Marion and Geoff with a very uninteresting subject matter. Where was the alleged "Comedy" the preview promised?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

Ross O'Carroll Kelly on screen, and TBH it doesn't appeal to me. The R-O-C-K should have been one book (at most). Bring back good comedy - maybe a new Couched series...!?

Couched was a diamond in the pool of utter crap that is RTE comedy. Also the Panel was awful without Dara O'Brien and Andrew Maxwell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Couched was a diamond in the pool of utter crap that is RTE comedy. Also the Panel was awful without Dara O'Brien and Andrew Maxwell.

Tonights show of the Panel was the best I've seen. It was a breath of fresh air to not have to suffer those two eejits for a change.

That said tho it wasn't all pluses. Jason Byrne sucks and is slowly but surely turning into Brendan O'Carroll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭MiniMetro

I thought it was absolutely dreadful. In fairness I watched just to see how bad it would be and I wasn't disappointed. I'm sure it will be a success though due to the fact that the one trick pony that is Ross O'Carrol Kelly is a success. Who finds this stuff funny? It's far funnier to just listen to such idiots on the bus or luas etc. They are already a stereotype of themselves. Anyone that I know that finds this kind of "humour" amusing doesn't seem to fully grasp the fact that they are the butt of the "joke".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭csk

What a load of utter tripe!

I thought seeing the ads it would be some kind of Ross O'Carroll Kelly p!ss take.

Instead I was treated to an unfunny, uninteresting, undramtic, bland, generic pile of sh!t.

It just seemed to be an endorsement of that whole D4 sub culture which I would imagine is completely irrelevant to the rest of the country.

I'm still wondering what the point of it was TBH.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Absolutley terrible stuff. I was gonna say that if I was the guy that wrote the ROCK stuff I'd be extremely p1ssed off but in fairness his job's safe.

The only reason why I kept watching is because I knew it was only on for 10 mins, and I also rather foolishly thought that there would eventually be a joke wedged into the script somewhere. :rolleyes:

Is this RTE speaking to my generation? Hmmm....

Thought the Panel was one of the worst I've seen also, especially the first half. They just seemed to babble on endlessly trying to find some semblance of humour within the nonsense they were waffling on about. Is that the best 4 comedians can come up when trying to be off the cuff? I sincerely hope not. You'd hear funnier banter down the local pub or sitting around shooting the breeze with some mates.

Just to add: I'm normally a big fan of the Panel, just thought tonight's show was bruuuuutal!

Advertisement