Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dan And Becs- RTE 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

Didn´t see this at all, seems it wasn´t worth the bother but I see I wasn´t alone in thinking the Panel was crap tonight. I laughed a few times but I felt I was forcing myself to laugh where usually I´m trying to hold it in so as not to embarrass myself. I know Dara was on Tubridy saying it was just going to be one offs without him, but I hope they´re not just trying to phase him out.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,327 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

In my considered opinion it was bloody crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Not good at all.

Hadn't realised it was a series of shorts but thought something was up alright when i read at the weekend that they are already making a second series.:eek: I have seen better transition year projects. It didn't help that everyone had seen all the punchlines for the first episode ad nauseum through the constant advertising. So short that it wasn't unlike just watching the ad. Like others, I had expected a 30 minute mockumentary ala Paths To Freedom.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

I gave it about 10 mins and had to switch over to Russell Brand. It didnt interest me in the slightest. Dan wasnt convincing at all, this kind of romeo that he was trying to project didnt work at all, he across as more of a twat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

It wasnt bad for a 15 min slot!
    Its usually a 'scare at bedtime' that occupies that slot anyway and that show is seriously hit n miss.

I'm sure all the actual "funny" bits of The Panel preceding it wouldlt have stretched to 15 mins. (Thouth I thought Bernard Dunne was good as far as guests go)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I'm sure all the actual "funny" bits of The Panel preceding it wouldlt have stretched to 15 mins. (Thouth I thought Bernard Dunne was good as far as guests go)
    Yeah, thought he was actually very good too. Although Colin Murphy hadn't a clue what he was doing while interviewing him. He didn't seem to have any research on him at all. I reckon he could've been an even better guest if there was someone interviewing him that knew what they were doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Just seemed like a Ross O'Carrol Kelly apprentice !

It was well put together I thought but I dont think Ii will be watching it again as I didn't think it was funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭gucci

Pigman II wrote:
    That said tho it wasn't all pluses. Jason Byrne sucks and is slowly but surely turning into Brendan O'Carroll.

haha quote of 07 alredy!! didnt see lasnights panel and if i tuned in to see him leaping and roaring i wouldnt have stayed watching either

its strange how rte have replaced podge and rodge with two other eejits who talk like theres a hand up theyre backside

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I was expecting a 30 minute show, not 10. Most of it was shown on the ads anyway. Not one bit made me laugh. Just reminds me of Ross O Carroll Kelly far too much. The characters were more annoying than humourous. I definately have no interest in watching it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

rb_ie wrote:
    D4 accents wtf? They don't have "D4" accents, sounds like a pretty normal accent to me.

Are you serious?!

Saw in the paper before hand that it was only scheduled for 15 minutes so wasn't expecting too much. In any event it was probably about half that length. When you're working within such time constraints, you need a very sharp story, seriously good writing or at least, appealing characters. This had none of those.
    I won't be falling over myself to catch the next one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

rb_ie wrote:
    D4 accents wtf? They don't have "D4" accents, sounds like a pretty normal accent to me.

As for the show, bit annoying the way it kept continuously flicking from one to the other but it was alright, will watch the next one anyway.

They do have focking D4 accents, roysh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Milktrolley

It was about 8 minutes long. I thought it was fairly good, I'll be tuning in tonight anyway that's for sure. As for The Panel... wasn't the type of laugh out loud stuff that one expects. Jason Byrne and Karl Spain weren't the most welcome additions anyway. It'll be good to get Dara back on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,327 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Gave it another chance tonight. Still didn't find it funny but all that Ross O'Carroll Kelly type stuff leaves me cold anyway.

Becs is quite hot though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

professore wrote:
    They do have focking D4 accents, roysh?
    The only people who'd consider that a "D4" accent are a: ) Boggers and b: ) People with "real Dublin" accents i.e Anto, Steo, Jacinteh & co.

They speak properly and pronounce their words right as far as I'm concerned, neutral if anything. Maybe you've just been watching too much Fair City.

Just watched the second episode, not much of an improvement content-wise but found the editing less frustrating this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭:|

rb_ie wrote:
    The only people who'd consider that a "D4" accent are a: ) Boggers and b: ) People with "real Dublin" accents i.e Anto, Steo, Jacinteh & co.
    Or people who are from dublin but don't have howiya accents, like myself......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

D4 accent to me is a really fake, put on, bad American accent. "Ohmigodlike, I was like sooooo, oh-my-god"

See Conor Deasy from the thrills.

And where the hell is Koowark?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭markk06

I think the attempt at the d4 accent was poor. Considering Becs is supposed to be some sort of rich dalkey daddys girl i think her accent is quite plain. The storyline wasn't great, didnt like the editing(as previously mentioned)

To be honest if they are trying to pull off an upper class dalkey rip the piss they did a bad job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 original bee

Yes, I think RTE should make more shows like our favourite Veronica Mars. They should also stop producing programmes where characters have accents, and cease all editing in shows with the constant cutting to things and the back and forthness of it all. That wouldnt happen in Veronica Mars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Yes, I think RTE should make more shows like our favourite Veronica Mars. They should also stop producing programmes where characters have accents, and cease all editing in shows with the constant cutting to things and the back and forthness of it all. That wouldnt happen in Veronica Mars.

Do I detect a hint of sarcasm?!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I agree with rb_ie, those aren't strong accents at all. They sound like most of my southside friends to be honest, including the ones from Dalkey.

I've met two of the girls on yer woman's Bebo photo gallery once or twice, don't recall meeting the person who plays 'Becs' though (if that is even her in between the two girls, I can't tell if its the same person). Must make enquiries...! :D

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Just watched a few minutes of the first episode before I got bored. I wouldn't say it's painful to watch as it's not like there are loads of jokes that fall flat really badly, there just aren't any real jokes. The Ross stereotype doesn't count.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

Ehhh...am I missing something? Is this supposed to be funny? :confused:

The only people to not hear the D4 accents are those who are D4s themselves. It's like English people not realising how silly their accents sound - if you are familiar with them you don't realise it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 lincoln

Ah c'mon it was pretty funny when he was talking about her acting career and said "a fruit drink commercial isn't something to brag to the lads about".

She was one of the girls in that Fruice add. Y'know where they are supposed to be naked in a park but it turns out they are only drinking Fruice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Milktrolley

lincoln wrote:
    Ah c'mon it was pretty funny when he was talking about her acting career and said "a fruit drink commercial isn't something to brag to the lads about".

She was one of the girls in that Fruice add. Y'know where they are supposed to be naked in a park but it turns out they are only drinking Fruice.

Now that you mention it...

I wonder are there any other insider jokes that have gone unnoticed? And I wouldn't call them D4 accents, they just have an upper-class tone. That's all. Just because D4 might equal upper-class that doesn't mean that upper-class equals D4. I know there's loads of other better ways of putting that, but meh...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I only saw the first episode, didn't think it was that orginal i.e. Ross O'Carroll Kelly meets Rob Brydon.

They should really just make ROCK the TV show, ROYSH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I agree with rb_ie, those aren't strong accents at all. They sound like most of my southside friends to be honest, including the ones from Dalkey.

I've met two of the girls on yer woman's Bebo photo gallery once or twice, don't recall meeting the person who plays 'Becs' though (if that is even her in between the two girls, I can't tell if its the same person). Must make enquiries...! :D
    Same, almost everyone I know has the same sort of accent. Its not put on either, as the only thing thats changed about their voices over the years has been their deepening/breaking. Its not even confined to the southside though, I know plenty from Clontarf, Castleknock etc. that also have (what I would call) a neutral accent.

Elmo wrote:
    I only saw the first episode, didn't think it was that orginal i.e. Ross O'Carroll Kelly meets Rob Brydon.

They should really just make ROCK the TV show, ROYSH.

It really depends though, the books were very funny and the storylines created were great, but it could transfer badly to film, ESPECIALLY if RTE produce it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Blut

Becs' accent seems like a very exaggerated dalkey one, Dans is just a normal well spoken (not d4, trust me there are far worse around) one.

Its such a shame the show isnt a proper full length show. A proper mockumentary set in South Dublin would have been very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Watched the second show there on www.rte.ie. (They are made available after screening.) Felt that it was a lot better than the first. Editing on the first show was just headwrecking. It's picking up a bit but is not 'must-see-tv'/watercooler stuff that I feel RTE thought it would be, given the push it was given. Great potential and worth a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

It really depends though, the books were very funny and the storylines created were great, but it could transfer badly to film, ESPECIALLY if RTE produce it.

I love the way that statement is always made. Over the last few year RTE have actually produced good dramas other then The Big Bow Wow, but they will never live that one down.

The big bow wow is use purely as an example, I understand that no poster has actually mentioned that show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

Missed the first episode, but thought the 2nd one was good (I had no expectations either way).
    And yes, Becs IS a good-looking gal.

RTE are making decent drama and comedy on their budget (which, you must remember, is tiny compared to the beeb and ITV)

Advertisement