Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dan And Becs- RTE 2

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jrey1981

Thought Becs was hot, and I wouldn't be surpised if she went on to better things.

As for the show itself, it was painfully annoying to watch.

Self-absorbed people talking about themselves and their own tiny Meworlds isn't remotely funny or entertaining.

Sadly it seems there's so many of them about - I heard some slightly younger ones on my bus journey home the other day - and listening to their drivel was my idea of hell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

jrey1981 wrote:

Sadly it seems there's so many of them about - I heard some slightly younger ones on my bus journey home the other day - and listening to their drivel was my idea of hell.

Ah stop...I hate getting the bus in mornings/afternoons cos there is so many little pr1cks talking very loudly and annoyingly about their new phone or their iPod or Bondi beach club...ahhhh

When did this happen to the Southside...seriously considering moving to Ballymun just to get away from D4s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭marie_85

Watched the first two episodes and was pleasantly surprised. Liked the whole actress/model and model/actress thing they had going on. I'm impressed with RTE for taking a chance on this. All the publicity it's getting is a bit annoying but it's about time RTE did something different. I like the format of the show and I think it's well edited. All in all, could be a lot worse.

And yes, Becs does have a D4 accent. Dan's is more neutral.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Aren't they more Dort like accents? Isn't that what D4 is?

Why do we always end up in an arguement about accents on Irish Drama.

Like with Pure Mule, they have wexford accents rather then Laoise ones. Love is the Drug would have know it was set in Dundalk.

Lets just look at the shows without this need to attack the accents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭StarryBud

Elmo wrote:

Okay.

The shows are rubbish. It's a struggle to even sit through these 8 minute web episodes. I don't think I've smirked once. What a smug, poorly-acted, badly-written show this is. When you look abroad and see things like Peep Show and Marion and Geoff (both of which this show is a partial rip-off of), this is utterly depressing. The search for the genuinely hilarious RTE made comedy continues.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Thought tonights episode was a fair bit better than last weeks two anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Yeah, tonights one had a few moments when I actually lol'd. If they are going to make a second series then it'll probably be a hell of a lot funnier.

The shows are rubbish. It's a struggle to even sit through these 8 minute web episodes. I don't think I've smirked once. What a smug, poorly-acted, badly-written show this is. When you look abroad and see things like Peep Show and Marion and Geoff (both of which this show is a partial rip-off of), this is utterly depressing. The search for the genuinely hilarious RTE made comedy continues.

Paths to Freedom now stop looking :)

I have to say Peep Show is annoying and I like Marion and Geoff as a stand up routine but not as a show.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Kaylee

Elmo wrote:

Like with Pure Mule, they have wexford accents rather then Laoise ones. Love is the Drug would have know it was set in Dundalk.

Love is the Drug was set in Drogheda, though the accents in the show were a mixture of Dublin/Northern/Louth/Dundalk with just a smattering of Drogheda. Then again, it's only annoying cause it's my home town - I wouldn't be able to differentiate between a Laoise and a Wexford accent.

Anyway... sorry off topic. I work in Dublin and people constantly get Drogheda and Dundalk mixed up - I find it a bit irritating, sorry :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭2funki4wheelz

Elmo wrote:

I'd say the accents are one of the gimmicks of the show and a makers choice of accent will affect the viewers - identifying etc.

Even if I ignore the accents, as someone else said, it's self-absorbed people talking about themselves and their mundane lives. I hear enough of that on public transport and in cafes and bars etc.

I couldn't connect with the characters or care about them, I didn't find their video diaries interesting and I think it's a byproduct of the bebo/blog culture we're in where everyone feels that their own existence is newsworthy.

It's a clever concept cos it's cheap to produce but the writing has to be so sharp for such a short slot. It has to pull you in right away. It actually felt ad-libbed at times.

Not for me. But fair play to the makers for getting people talking about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 sexkitten

Has anyone been watching that Dan and Becs on Network 2?? What’s that about?? What’s the point of the programme??

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I saw it last week, weird alright, it was only on for about 5 minutes... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,442 ✭✭✭✭kippy

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055035917

More info,comments and views there.....
    Kippy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

This thread is STILL here!...ah lads...ye'er losing ye'er touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

It's more of RTEs usual cheap ould ****e, showing the most annoying self righteous knobjokeys Dublin can vomit out on the country, christ their awful annoying *****.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,014 ✭✭✭✭event

rb_ie wrote:
    The only people who'd consider that a "D4" accent are a: ) Boggers and b: ) People with "real Dublin" accents i.e Anto, Steo, Jacinteh & co.

They speak properly and pronounce their words right as far as I'm concerned, neutral if anything. Maybe you've just been watching too much Fair City.

Just watched the second episode, not much of an improvement content-wise but found the editing less frustrating this time.

you wont really notice it if you're from the southside yourself though

See Conor Deasy from the thrills.
    But he is from Castleknock on the northside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭hot fuss

Elmo wrote:
    Aren't they more Dort like accents? Isn't that what D4 is?

Why do we always end up in an arguement about accents on Irish Drama.

Pure Mule was set in Offaly, not Laois. And the accents were just horrendous and not representative of any local Irish accent. Plus, each character had a different accent!

the actors who play Dan and Becs are both from Killiney and are speaking in their own accents.. what's the problem with this?!

Pure Mule was set in Offaly, not Laois. And the accents were just horrendous and not representative of any local Irish accent. Plus, each character had a different accent!

Not being from Wexford, but knowing that the accents used in Pure Mule where veeeerrrrryyyyyyyyyyy siiiiiiiiiiiiimaaalaaaaaaaaaaaar (that's my wex impression :) )

Definately picking up anyway, tonights was good and some funny moments in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

Last night's was the first I saw. For anyone who lives in Dublin, it's easy to find it funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

nodger wrote:
    I'm sure this has been discussed before, but why in God's name didn't they just work on adapting the RO'CK books for TV? Nothing RTE does is going to come close, and will only look like a cheap rip-off in comparison.
    They did. My flatmate did the sound for a RO'CK pilot. Doesn't seem to have been picked up though. It's a pity cos he's usually a good judge of these things and reckoned the pilot should have been very good if it was edited properly (he never saw the end product).

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭BobbyD10

Can I say I have never seen such c**p in all me life.....

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭BobbyD10

csk wrote:
    What a load of utter tripe!

I thought seeing the ads it would be some kind of Ross O'Carroll Kelly p!ss take.

Instead I was treated to an unfunny, uninteresting, undramtic, bland, generic pile of sh!t.

It just seemed to be an endorsement of that whole D4 sub culture which I would imagine is completely irrelevant to the rest of the country.

I'm still wondering what the point of it was TBH.

Agree completely..........was an absolute yawn.....zzzzzzzzzzz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Yeah, it goes on for too long and it sounds like an article out of Cosmopolitan - not a good thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭betelgeuse

Terrible, just terrible. It essentially boils down to him saying one thing, and the girl saying the opposite.. that's the "joke"! Maybe if you're a fan of that Ross O'Carroll Kelly stuff you'll find it funny, but as someone else pointed out, that's a one-trick pony as well. I despair.

I think its picked up a lot since the first one anyway.
    BobbyD10 wrote:
    Can I say I have never seen such c**p in all me life.....

Fantastic, change the channel in the future?. BTW its "my" life, not "me" life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

Saw it for the first time last night and liked it; there were a couple of genuine laugh-out-loud moments throughout. Dan got all the best lines ("We're from two completely different worlds. I mean, we're both from Dalkey but she's from the Neil Jordan end, by Sorrento Terrance and I'm at the other end of the village") and it was a good idea to keep it so short; it's lively and it keeps your attention. Didn't think Becs was the greatest actress in the world but I'll def be watching it again.

Yep, have been enjoying them (didn't see the first one, incidentally). Saw an ad for next week's one which made me laugh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

stargal wrote:
    ("We're from two completely different worlds. I mean, we're both from Dalkey but she's from the Neil Jordan end, by Sorrento Terrance and I'm at the other end of the village")
    Yeah but problem is, if you're not from Dublin, you don't know these places. At a guess - the first one's snazzier? But I have to say the ep I saw this week was a bit better, all the same.

Advertisement