Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

$9,000 pot - Is there anything I can do different??

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,170 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭loosecannon

Flipper wrote:
    I call because it's a small price to potentially win a huge pot. Hali raises with 60% of starting hands so it's not just about my cards - eg. if a flop comes (forget my starting hand for one second) say, 678.... he will posture at it and I will probably re-raise it to take it away from him. My hand is also very disguised because I don't have a reputation of playing with trash cards.

His range is huge! Thsi is a blank flop and I have to assume it missed him as much as me. If he has one pair preflop, he's 13/2 to make a set here - after all, this hand plays the same to the point of his all in on the turn if he had nothing - that was when I first figure out he has a lot of it.

My hand may have some draws on the turn but my redraws on the river can potentially be huge. My call is two-fold. 1: To try and turn a concealed made hand or a monster draw (which I did). 2: To make a play if an appropraite card comes on the turn.

I have no reason to believe my diamonds are not live here. We're HU so I can only go on assumptions. Luckily, diamonds are not my only outs so if they're dead, I still have a way to the nuts.

My reason for posting here was mainly to see what people thought of the turn card play. HJ, Roundtower and cardshark see the purpose of the bet I think but I just spent quiet a bit of time think about if it was the right thing to do. I suppose any card that makes my hand on the river freezes the action anyway so I'm better off with my money in the middle and hope to hit my wrap. If I take a free river and a diamond comes, I will have trouble calling a pot bet

i have one last point to make on this thread flipper

you started the thread with the title 'is there anything i can do different', over the course of the thread many people have given you examples of how you could have avoided losing this $9k pot (some ideas good, some bad) but you seem to have rebuked them all and not acknowledged the fact that dumping this hand on the flop would IMO have been the best line in this hand

so my question is why did u post this hand up? you're not going to acknowledge that you could have played it differently, and i presume that you still think you played it perfectly

this thread belongs to the bad beat sticky if so!

gl:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Flipper wrote:
    I call because it's a small price to potentially win a huge pot. Hali raises with 60% of starting hands so it's not just about my cards - eg. if a flop comes (forget my starting hand for one second) say, 678.... he will posture at it and I will probably re-raise it to take it away from him. My hand is also very disguised because I don't have a reputation of playing with trash cards.

You called UTG so you didnt know if it was going to be a huge pot. But you are right your hand is well disguised and could earn a decent pot with the right flop..but it is still weak preflop

Flipper wrote:
    I have no reason to believe my diamonds are not live here. We're HU so I can only go on assumptions. Luckily, diamonds are not my only outs so if they're dead, I still have a way to the nuts.

Absolutely you still have outs to ze nuts and he has given you no reason to fear the diamonds
    Flipper wrote:
    My reason for posting here was mainly to see what people thought of the turn card play. HJ, Roundtower and cardshark see the purpose of the bet I think but I just spent quiet a bit of time think about if it was the right thing to do. I suppose any card that makes my hand on the river freezes the action anyway so I'm better off with my money in the middle and hope to hit my wrap. If I take a free river and a diamond comes, I will have trouble calling a pot bet

I didnt understand why you should get it in on an unmade hand on the turn initially..but i can see what you were doing know. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

so my question is why did u post this hand up?

So that he could start a thread with "$9,000 pot"?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

Can someone please explain this halibut phenomenon??
    Who is this guy? Where did he come from? Does he post on boards? Is he in that money list on the other thread? Why do people fear him so much? Is he as good as people say? Where does he play?
    I have heard this name many times over the last year or two and it is always under some reference to his poker genius or his skill at luckboxing. I was always trying to nitpick the information from the people who obviously knew him to gather enough info to figure out what the story was... but alas I have failed.

I'm miserable.... please please please someone explain to me this anomaly :D

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,849 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

He is a local lad who has posted here a handful of times under the name halibut2. I think he would like the name behind the name to remain anonymous, although I don't think it is as big a secret as it once was, and if you look hard enough has been exposed in indirect fashion by other posters at times.

My understanding is that he is just a freakishly successful Omaha player, mostly online, and that when he can be bothered he is a fearsome NLHE player too.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭RacingSilver

Originally Posted by loosecannon
    so my question is why did u post this hand up?

So that he could start a thread with "$9,000 pot"?

I think we have a winner !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

ya, no worries about the name. That doesnt really concern me too much (wouldn't know him from adam anyway)... was just curious about the story behind this feared omaha player....
    Where does he play.. would be interested in taking a look sometime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Jimmy Hoffa

Halibut2 is an International Man of Mystery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Ste05

EDIT: Actually I don't care either way. Halibut doesn't post strategy here so mneh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Jimmy Hoffa

Banned get real not stalinist russia here free speech no harm done

• Registered Users Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭ianmc38

And to go with the Iago mania before that!

On a sidenote, I dont think Kieran needs any self esteem boost by saying wow look at this, i played a 9k pot. I'm sure he's played much bigger pots on regular occasions in the Stars and Full Tilt games as well as live. The hand is mildly interesting but i think preflop and on the flop are where the mistakes were made.

And it's pretty easy for Dev or any of the other mods to do an IP check on Jimmy Hoffa to see what his other boards name is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

Halibut2 is **** mystery solved hali mania to go with the jelly mania of old,

I don't think he wanted to be outed, although it was fairly easy to work out from some older threads. Not really fair on the guy.

Apologies if you actually are Halibut/An International Man of Mystery.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Ste05

Apologies if you actually are Halibut/IMoM?
    Halibut has posted here before, usually just to buy %'s of Daithio.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Stop quoting stuff that the mods are editing! :)

• Subscribers Posts: 32,849 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

And as I pressed the edit button, i noticed that I was beaten to it too. Horse has probably bolted but there you go.

Jimmy Hoffa - It was decided before that we don't like that sort of information being posted here and just to let you know, this isn't a democracy either. Please do not post that or any similiar stuff anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Flipper

ianmc38 wrote:
    On a sidenote, I dont think Kieran needs any self esteem boost by saying wow look at this, i played a 9k pot. I'm sure he's played much bigger pots on regular occasions in the Stars and Full Tilt games as well as live. The hand is mildly interesting but i think preflop and on the flop are where the mistakes were made.

And it's pretty easy for Dev or any of the other mods to do an IP check on Jimmy Hoffa to see what his other boards name is.
    LOL i assure you this wasn't posted for an ego boost - after all, I lost! I posted it as I really wanted to know what lines different players would take. After great discussion, I think if the hand was played again that I would either fold on the flop or else carry on as I did. The "$9000 blah blah blah" title was merely to create interest. That seemed to work.......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭ocallagh

ianmc38 wrote:

depends on how clever Jimmy Hoffa was

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭MrPillowTalk

Are you going on the booze tonight Niall?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭ocallagh

Are you going on the booze tonight Niall?
    playing scalps but would be tempted!! If i get knocked out early. I'm sure Lacey will be first out and he's always good for a pint! you thinking of going out?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭MrPillowTalk

ocallagh wrote:
    playing scalps but would be tempted!! If i get knocked out early. I'm sure Lacey will be first out and he's always good for a pint! you thinking of going out?

hopefully am, ring me if you get knocked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭ianmc38

Flipper wrote:
    LOL i assure you this wasn't posted for an ego boost - after all, I lost! I posted it as I really wanted to know what lines different players would take. After great discussion, I think if the hand was played again that I would either fold on the flop or else carry on as I did. The "$9000 blah blah blah" title was merely to create interest. That seemed to work.......

I know thats what i was saying in response to a couple of earlier comments.

Advertisement