Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q&A with NorwichFanRob

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Norwich Fan Rob

in fairness u wont make a fortune playing those guys day in day out , the value is in the others that come in to , take their shot, u get that more at 20/40 than u would at the likes of 5/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

What are the biggest changes you've made to your game/ cash game in the last few months?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭RoundTower

when are you planning on releasing the scores for this quiz?
    by studying the answers you all give to my quiz I'm going to become the best poker player in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

What mistakes that the regular winning 20 40 players make that you think you can exploit. Ideally you would answer in specifics but Id understand if you just said things like "my hand reading is better"

Have you ever ran bad for an extended period of time?

Do you think that one day you will fold second set on the flop with no straight or flush already possible?

Who played better on High Stakes Poker (I assume youve seen both seasons)

Eli Elizera or Sam Farha
    Daniel Negranu or Barry Greenstein
    Laak or the Magician

What is the biggest mistake you see propogated on these boards. (an example would be people caring too much about their tourament life, or not caring enough)

Can a player who ever cold calls 1/5 of the effective stack off preflop with A10 in the later stages of a tournament (neither player being in the blinds) be called a good player? What if this isnt an isolated incident?

How likely is it that the winner of a tournament actually played the best poker?

Do you think the first 10% out a tournament are likely to have been in the bottom 10% skillwise?

What edge do you think you have in the WSOP, it might be easiest to express it in ROI

If you could never raise preflop, just call or fold, but your opponents could raise, at what level cash game do you think you could make money at, if any?

Small pairs utg (22 - 66), cash game or tournamnt it doesnt matter (allthough its obv a more likely scenario in a tourament). You have 10 blinds. What is optium play at a 9 handed table? 6 handed table? What if you had 15 blinds? Do your opponents play change it much?

Do you have any intentions on moving higher than 20 40? If so to what level would you like to be playing at in a year

Good luck, and thanks a lot for doing this rob, youll be amazed at how much time it takes up!

bohsman wrote:
    What are the biggest changes you've made to your game/ cash game in the last few months?

in tourneys there is more emphasis if u flop a marginal top pair, to take the pot down when u can, and protect your hand, also in tourneys its almost for certain that u will have to race from time to time, this is just a fact, and towards the later stages u need to be all in on several occasions, my game used to be all about that, quite aggressive later on, taking pots down when i can, my new cash game places way more emphasis on post flop play, trying to pin an opponent on a hand, almost never racing for stacks pre flop and basically trying not to get staked with a marginal holding, its a more defensive game in a way, but i find it works at high level cash games.

• Advertisement

What mistakes that the regular winning 20 40 players make that you think you can exploit. Ideally you would answer in specifics but Id understand if you just said things like "my hand reading is better"

a lot of them tend to get over aggr at times, they over play a lot of their hands.
    Have you ever ran bad for an extended period of time?

november wasnt great, lost about 3k over the month, my only losing month of the year, perhaps the shock of being in the house all day had something to do with it........i have some bad days, but never disasterous, my worst ever day is only a 4k loss, yesterday for example i went down 5100 early, manageed to get it back to a couple of hundred ahead in cash games, then ended the night winning a $100 multi for $1566 profit. One day last week, when i lost the 17k pot, then just missed out on the wpt package with AA busted, i was down 3k after all that, i got back into 20/40, feeling awful and battled to a 7k win and 4k win on the day, have worked really hard on discipline and not tilting, which i think is the key.

Do you think that one day you will fold second set on the flop with no straight or flush already possible?

very very nearly did against jen mason in drogheda, if i had the full 15k starting the hand , instead of only having had 10k, i may have done it, whoever, i kinda pot committed myself on the flop as it was. That said its a very hard thing to do, u would have to be extremely deep, and have a very good read on the villian , and also know that the villian knows or thinks u are solid and not liable to re raise or re re raise without a set.
    Who played better on High Stakes Poker (I assume youve seen both seasons)

Eli Elizera or Sam Farha
    Daniel Negranu or Barry Greenstein
    Laak or the Magician

seem most of these, havent actually seen all of them, but i would say elizera, greenstein and esfandiari.
    What is the biggest mistake you see propogated on these boards. (an example would be people caring too much about their tourament life, or not caring enough)

people over playing their marginal hands, and calling too much
    Can a player who ever cold calls 1/5 of the effective stack off preflop with A10 in the later stages of a tournament (neither player being in the blinds) be called a good player? What if this isnt an isolated incident?

generally i would say no, any situation can be diff, if someone did it once, i wouldnt slap a label on them, but if i say that a few times they would go into the muppet box.
    How likely is it that the winner of a tournament actually played the best poker?

very unlikely, anyone can win one tourney, however, its the guys who are conisitently going deep that are good.
    Do you think the first 10% out a tournament are likely to have been in the bottom 10% skillwise?

a lot of the first 10% are the worst players, usually if i sit at a table for 2 or 3 orbits ive a pretty good idea who the first 2 players to go out at that table will be.
    What edge do you think you have in the WSOP, it might be easiest to express it in ROI

bigger than in any other tourney, basically because of the structure and the amount of play, pretty hard to put a number on it though.
    If you could never raise preflop, just call or fold, but your opponents could raise, at what level cash game do you think you could make money at, if any?

a lot of people in low stakes play like this anyway, this is a very hard one to answer, ive never really played below 1/2, i know at any levels, given this play its always going to be hard to know where u are in a hand, and your big hands, which would be your main winners, will lose value somewhat, i think i could still do ok at 1/2 playing like this, hard to know without actually doing it though.
    Small pairs utg (22 - 66), cash game or tournamnt it doesnt matter (allthough its obv a more likely scenario in a tourament). You have 10 blinds. What is optium play at a 9 handed table? 6 handed table? What if you had 15 blinds? Do your opponents play change it much?

9 handed i fold, unless the table is being extremely passive in which case i might try and call, (if hands are getting 4/5 callers and no raisers), but generally just fold. 6 handed in a tourney i may push depending on my table image and if i have been active, again in a cash game id fold, with 15 bbs, or more, i may well limp, especially in a cash game, again more likely to do this against opponents who are poor, ie too tight pre flop yet loose post flop, if i think i can stack them if they hit one pair, etc.

Do you have any intentions on moving higher than 20 40? If so to what level would you like to be playing at in a year

no, im only getting used to 20/40, i usually buy in shortish at this too, and just build up 3-4k profit at a sitting then leave, (when i say shortish, i mean around about 50 bbs) i never intended playing much higher than 10/20 really, just sat in 20/40 once, chasing a fish, it went well, and ive been kinda stuck there ever since, may drop down if i have a bad session, but i find by buying in for 50 bbs, i usually either lose it or treble it, which adds up to a nice profit overall.
    Good luck, and thanks a lot for doing this rob, youll be amazed at how much time it takes up!

no probs daragh, gl at the tables

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭shaydy

Firstly congrats on the successful transition to full time poker. WP

Do you use any poker software tools? e.g. Pokertracker or any other tools that give you a more calculated tell on your opponents.

Who have you found to be your toughest online opponent?

I've recently started playing PL Omaha cash (watch out for the fish:D ) and found the move quite enjoyable/refreshing. I see you've played 5/10 Omaha already, did you jump in at the deep end with burst arm bands and survive or have you found it easier than you expected? (I thought you were mostly a holdem 'expert')

shaydy wrote:
    Firstly congrats on the successful transition to full time poker. WP

Do you use any poker software tools? e.g. Pokertracker or any other tools that give you a more calculated tell on your opponents.

Who have you found to be your toughest online opponent?

I've recently started playing PL Omaha cash (watch out for the fish:D ) and found the move quite enjoyable/refreshing. I see you've played 5/10 Omaha already, did you jump in at the deep end with burst arm bands and survive or have you found it easier than you expected? (I thought you were mostly a holdem 'expert')

i really really really should get myself poker tracker, but i dont have it, i use memory and basically player notes which i take down myself.

a guy called _______mk_______ destroyed me heads up the other night, he seems tougher than most.

i did play a little 1/2 omaha before playing 5/10, however, a basic poker grounding is enough to do ok at this, yes, hand values are different, and im sure im no expert, but i have at least broken even in my omaha career, may be up a few quid, nothing substantial though. I play it for a change of pace, and its fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 sligobhoy

1. Do u think u would jump into the big bellagio game if you are in Vegas again this year. I think you should

2. What do you make of the cash action comming up in clonmel? I'd say u would make a killing at that.

3. Do u gamble on anything else besides poker and norwich?

4. What benefit has playing 50 dollar stts been to u.

5. Will u play me heads up for 1000 dollars on tribeca or is this a weaknees i could exploit.

6. Do your girlfriend or family like your profession?

7. Whats a good yearly wage for u as a poker pro for u.

8. Normally, What are your playing hours.

9. What's your favourite Colour?

sligobhoy wrote:
    1. Do u think u would jump into the big bellagio game if you are in Vegas again this year. I think you should

no :eek:
    sligobhoy wrote:
    2. What do you make of the cash action comming up in clonmel? I'd say u would make a killing at that.

would be interested in that alright, tend to get a bit bored with live cash sometimes though, but did ok in drogheda.
    sligobhoy wrote:
    3. Do u gamble on anything else besides poker and norwich?

used to gamble a good bit in horses and sports betting, not so much anymore, nowadays, i tend to either put a grand on something if i really fancy it, or just leave it alone.
    sligobhoy wrote:
    4. What benefit has playing 50 dollar stts been to u.

good grounding in tourney poker can be gained from this, experience etc
    sligobhoy wrote:
    5. Will u play me heads up for 1000 dollars on tribeca or is this a weaknees i could exploit.

played about 200 $500 HU games on stars, winning around 62%, came 2nd in recent JP poker heads up tourney, winning 6 out of 7 matches, often play 2 or 3 handed against alias or others on 20/40, happy to play u for 1k anytime u want.
    sligobhoy wrote:
    6. Do your girlfriend or family like your profession?

touchy subject right now.....
    sligobhoy wrote:
    7. Whats a good yearly wage for u as a poker pro for u.

was thinking 100k, beat that last year, will have that my end of march this year if continue as have been of late.
    sligobhoy wrote:
    8. Normally, What are your playing hours.

used to be 8pm-3am, now its whenever i get up to pretty much whenever i go to bed, lol, with breaks and stuff, playing lots at the moment, in fact, got an hour in this morning on 20/40, spotted a guy playing awful, so jumped in and just took $4400 already today, so will enjoy breakfast in a few mins.
    sligobhoy wrote:
    9. What's your favourite Colour?

purple, i think........yeah, will go with that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭ianmc38

Hi Rob,

Very interesting read.

1. In what % of cash game players on Tribeca would you put yourself?

2. Your success in online MTTs and live tournaments has been quite remarkable. How would you describe your game? Do you play tight early on or do you try to play lots of pots with marginal hands? Whats your strategy for accumulating chips in MTTs?

3. What do you think of people who give out about bad beats in a cash game (live or online), be it asking someone how they could call in a live game or moaning in the chat box online?

4. Have you read much poker literature? if so, what's the best book you've read.

5. How important is ego in poker?

6. What interests do you have outside of poker?

7. What's your favourite movie of all time?

8. What type of music do you listen to?

9. Why would you play 5/10 Omaha when you're just starting out in the game? To me this seems like a very -EV move.

10. Do you plan on learning/playing any new games in 2007? O8, Stud, Lowball etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭The Istanbul

Rob

Do you consider yourself a better poker player than you were an accountant??:D

How is your golf these days? You used to be handy:rolleyes:

Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭ollyk1

Hey Rob,

Great stuff so far.

A few questions.

1. I've noticed you go on what appeared to be tilt in a few small (€200 buyin) live tournies a few months ago and I was surprised. Bad players got lucky on the turn aginst you and you made good laydowns. Was this feigned or real? Has playing cash improved your tilt control?

2. What percentage of your BR do you risk in a session to maximise your returns and keep the risk of going busto acceptably low? 5%? or is it a case that your BR way covers your limits right now?? I'd understand if you want to keep this answer vague.

3. How different is playing for your living versus playing as a hobby? Are there any big differeences or is it hard to say becasue its too early?

4. What live cash game players have impressed you?

5. Will you be selling some of your action in the WSOP? ;)

6. I just spotted Ian's question on ego and I'd like to add something. Does ego cost money in poker? How much do you think it has cost you?

ianmc38 wrote:
    Hi Rob,

Very interesting read.

1. In what % of cash game players on Tribeca would you put yourself?

well several are solid, of which im one, clearly im running above average at the moment, id would add that at least half have make continual fundamental errors, and thats why the top players can do well, ive seen a lot of random bluffs and people betting with hands that will only be called if beat etc.......i like to think i can hold my own, cant put a % on it. Theres no one i particularly try to avoid, if i see a table with 1 free seat, but 5 solid players on it though, i probably wont bother.
    ianmc38 wrote:
    2. Your success in online MTTs and live tournaments has been quite remarkable. How would you describe your game? Do you play tight early on or do you try to play lots of pots with marginal hands? Whats your strategy for accumulating chips in MTTs?

Just playing solid really, i will play a lot of connected cards etc early on, try and hit a flop, i feel im good at extracting when i hit, sets etc, depending on the table and situation a lot, sometimes i player a lot tighter than other times.
    ianmc38 wrote:
    3. What do you think of people who give out about bad beats in a cash game (live or online), be it asking someone how they could call in a live game or moaning in the chat box online?

its wrong, i know that, sometimes i find it hard not to make the odd comment myself, something i know i really shouldnt do.
    ianmc38 wrote:
    4. Have you read much poker literature? if so, what's the best book you've read.

many forums such as this and 2+2, and a lot of blogs, not really books per se, have read super system, i guess its ok, not ground breaking though.
    ianmc38 wrote:
    5. How important is ego in poker?

in a confident person with faith in my own ability, i think you need this, i dont know about ego, that may not be good, but confidence is important.
    ianmc38 wrote:
    6. What interests do you have outside of poker?

play golf off handicap of 14, play league badminton in the winter and softball in the summer, need to get back into a gym now i have more time, last year i played on the irish 8 ball pool tour, was seeded for a few tourneys.
    ianmc38 wrote:
    7. What's your favourite movie of all time?

tough one, shawshank redemption, that was good, no idea why that came into my head, mainly also like comedies and nothing too heavy.
    ianmc38 wrote:
    8. What type of music do you listen to?

more general pop i guess, used to have a bit of a thing for dido :p
    ianmc38 wrote:
    9. Why would you play 5/10 Omaha when you're just starting out in the game? To me this seems like a very -EV move.

the general standard is just that bad, i get quite bored at lower levels, i was holding my own at 5/10, so did ok, really dont play it that much though.
    ianmc38 wrote:
    10. Do you plan on learning/playing any new games in 2007? O8, Stud, Lowball etc?

probably not, although, must learn razz and give some low grade horse games a bash for the craic.

Rob

Do you consider yourself a better poker player than you were an accountant??:D

How is your golf these days? You used to be handy:rolleyes:

Best of luck!

hmmmm, have u seen me golf?
    these days its ropey, havent been out playing much at all, i used to play at least once a week, usually go to spain for a week and get 5 or 6 rounds in in the sun in march, no reason why next summer i wont play more than i have done in a long time.

im a good accountant, got all my exams first time and did well anywhere i work, yet i got bored with it, poker is so much more exciting........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 wireless54

1. What is the biggest pot you have ever played, did you win and What were the hands?

2. I hear your a buddist, like Andy Black, how did you get into Buddism? Does it help your poker game?

3. If you were a breakfast cereal, What breakfast Cereal would you be and why?

4. Do you agree that North Korea should be considered part of the 'Axis of Evil'?

5. Do you plan to play in any WPT events this year? I think they might suit your game.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭ianmc38

Nice wan Rob. keep up the good work!

ollyk1 wrote:
    Hey Rob,

Great stuff so far.

A few questions.

1. I've noticed you go on what appeared to be tilt in a few small (€200 buyin) live tournies a few months ago and I was surprised. Bad players got lucky on the turn aginst you and you made good laydowns. Was this feigned or real? Has playing cash improved your tilt control?

everyone tilts at times, its controling this to a minimum thats key, its working really hard on not doing it on 20/40, for obvious reasons. A while ago a 200 tourney was huge for me, now its not, whilst in theory i would like to always play my A game, i probably dont always.
    ollyk1 wrote:
    2. What percentage of your BR do you risk in a session to maximise your returns and keep the risk of going busto acceptably low? 5%? or is it a case that your BR way covers your limits right now?? I'd understand if you want to keep this answer vague.

i have built up just over 20 buy ins to the 20/40 game over the last year.
    however, i usually just buy in for 50bbs, which is 1/4 of a buy in, so i have 80 of those in my roll, thats less than 1.5%.
    ollyk1 wrote:
    3. How different is playing for your living versus playing as a hobby? Are there any big differeences or is it hard to say becasue its too early?

its different, im lazy, im in the house, i should be able to get lots done, keep it tidy etc, its a mess, lol, its great now, since its going well, just hope it continues, even just a few more months and i will be comfy enough.
    ollyk1 wrote:
    4. What live cash game players have impressed you?

almost never play live cash, and when i do its usually not against the top live cash players.
    ollyk1 wrote:
    5. Will you be selling some of your action in the WSOP? ;)

yeah, might well sell 15% or 20% to give people an interest.
    havent really thought about it much, but i wont be selling more than say 20% tops.

wireless54 wrote:
    1. What is the biggest pot you have ever played, did you win and What were the hands?

probably the JJ vs QQ hand that put me out of the world series, was a $1 million chip pot, and i cash for 6 figures i reckon if i win, mind u, i got it in with 1 out as it turned out.
    cash wise, lost a 17k pot in 20/40 about 2 weeks ago with AA vs 35 of diamonds held by a total fish, however, given his status, i overplayed it on the flop.
    wireless54 wrote:
    2. I hear your a buddist, like Andy Black, how did you get into Buddism? Does it help your poker game?

im not a buddist !!, where on earth did u hear that, lol
    wireless54 wrote:
    3. If you were a breakfast cereal, What breakfast Cereal would you be and why?

this may well be the hardest question ive had to answer so far, lol, cant think of any, but i wouldnt be a muesli or weetabix, im not that healthy eating wise, id probably be something like frosties.
    wireless54 wrote:
    4. Do you agree that North Korea should be considered part of the 'Axis of Evil'?

dont know enough about north koreas goings on to comment.
    wireless54 wrote:
    5. Do you plan to play in any WPT events this year? I think they might suit your game.

yes, i would like to play one, perhaps around september time i will take a trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I usually just buy in for 50bbs, which is 1/4 of a buy in, so i have 80 of those in my roll, thats less than 1.5%.

How come you usually buyin for 1/4 of the max, or 1k at a 20/40 table.

Do you play differently because of this?

Do you think other players play worse againest you because of this?

Do you think this is +ev or -ev for you?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭Daithio

yeah, might well sell 15% or 20% to give people an interest.
    havent really thought about it much, but i wont be selling more than say 20% tops.

I'll take 5!

Do you ever sleep?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭ollyk1

Daithio wrote:
    I'll take 5!

Do you ever sleep?

Cheeky!! I was first in the Q!! ;):p

Can I have 3% if you do decide to sell? :D

Thanks for answering with such detail Rob. I'm really interested in hearing stuff about BR management from someone I'd consider to be finaincially savvy (and with your background and all).

I wasn't having a go on the tilt thing, I was amused and impressed that it meant so much to you, a guy who was making a killing online. I though it very interesting to see how competitive you were no matter the stakes. (No need to pretend €200 was important to you!! lol)

The-Rigger wrote:
    How come you usually buyin for 1/4 of the max, or 1k at a 20/40 table.

Do you play differently becaues of this?

Do you think other players play worse againest you because of this?

Do you think this is +ev or -ev for you?

i started doing this because i was just chasing a fish, he had 2k, i got 2k to try and bust him, i took out 4.5k and since then i just go in for 2k, and leave when i get over 6k, this has been working nicely, i know im probably not maximising profit, but i am limiting variance, and i find 50 bbs is still deep enough to play correct, im far from push or fold mode, and can still get anyone off a hand if needs be.
    I dont think it hugely effects how people play me, if i had 10-15 bbs this would be the case, but if u look at the 10/20 tables, the max buy in is only 75 bbs, so im not that far off that.
    i think this is currently +ev for me, i dont mind losing 2k, i can re load and will usually get it back, which ive done several times, not so sure how id feel doing that with 8k, and maybe potentially doing 16k in a session.........and making enough as it stands, no need to play for anymore.

44 mins this morning, bought in for 1600, left with 6087.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 wireless54

1. Why do you think the number 11 isn't pronounced onety one?

2. If you were reincarnated, What would you come back as?

3. If you could have a superpower, What would you choose?

4. What is the biggest lie you've ever told to land a job/pull a bird?

5. Who do you find sexier, Jessica Rabbit from 'Who Framed Roger Rabbit?' or The Cadbury's Caramel Rabbit? And why?

6. You're a 'X-Factor' Contestant, which means you must sleep with one of the Celebrity Judges, Would you choose: Simon Cowell, Louie Walsh, or Sharon Osbourne?

7. If you were a Pornstar, What would your screen name be?

8. In your opinion, Will masturbation make me go blind?

9. Do you have any cool scars?

10. Who would win in a fight, Chuck Norris or Mr T?

Daithio wrote:
    I'll take 5!

Do you ever sleep?

nice one dave, your first in line if i decide to do it (olly is also on the list).

hows aus, gl over there.

yeah, i slept between about 6.15 and 8.25.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭BigCityBanker

Il take 3% also Rob.

wireless54 wrote:
    1. Why do you think the number 11 isn't pronounced onety one?

how do u think up this stuff, lol, dunno really !!!
    wireless54 wrote:
    2. If you were reincarnated, What would you come back as?

well id love to be a pro at a top active type of sport, like soccor or something.
    or something like a cat, they have a nice easy life.
    wireless54 wrote:
    3. If you could have a superpower, What would you choose?

x ray vision
    wireless54 wrote:
    4. What is the biggest lie you've ever told to land a job/pull a bird?

never really told a major lie to land a job, wont comment on the 2nd part.
    wireless54 wrote:
    5. Who do you find sexier, Jessica Rabbit from 'Who Framed Roger Rabbit?' or The Cadbury's Caramel Rabbit? And why?

perhaps the caramel rabbit, maybe its something to do with the way she kinda sucks the bar,
    wireless54 wrote:
    6. You're a 'X-Factor' Contestant, which means you must sleep with one of the Celebrity Judges, Would you choose: Simon Cowell, Louie Walsh, or Sharon Osbourne?

would have to be sharon
    wireless54 wrote:
    7. If you were a Pornstar, What would your screen name be?

oh god im useless at thinking of names and stuff.
    wireless54 wrote:
    8. In your opinion, Will masturbation make me go blind?

i hope not
    wireless54 wrote:
    9. Do you have any cool scars?

one small one on my hand a girl gave me when i was about 6 !
    wireless54 wrote:

chuck norris, hes hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭eoghan104

Just one quick one for me.........

What happened to the blog?

cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭dacman

Q1. do u own ure own house

Q2.do u think internet poker will last forever

Q3 Who is ure fav sporting hero

Q4 whats ure opion on jamie gold

Q5 if u lost say 30-50k in february what would u do to ease ure tilt or how would u go abt getting back to 20/40 level.

Q6 do u think online poker could be rigged

Q7. how many wsop events willl u play next year

cheers in advance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

chuck norris, hes hard.

Mr T. Pitties you

Advertisement