Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Live self-Builds - mod warning in post no. 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Jollyman

More progress pictures gone up on the blog, although seems to be a bit more falling down too :eek:

http://picasaweb.google.com/jollyman24/SiteProgressArdmore/photo#5176075202085594130

• Subscribers Posts: 41,037 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

jollyman :eek:

was that hit by some vehicle??

why have you 150mm inner leaf?

Ya the hardware truck reversed into it! Have a bill made out for €2,000 for him i think that is fair enough! 150mm inner leaf just to the sitting room to support the steel frame and the cathedral ceiling and in the office wall to incorporate an inbuilt fish tank!! :D

Well pictures of the roof have gone on Picaso check them out the roof started on Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Jollyman wrote: »
    Well pictures of the roof have gone on Picaso check them out the roof started on Monday

http://picasaweb.google.com/jollyman...75202085594130
    I tried to look but there is a problem with the link.
    404 NOT_FOUND

Unable to process request

• Advertisement

Hi Jollyman, I'm just finishing off building a garage at the moment if that counts. As I'm not a professional builder it's nice to see the end of the project in sight.
    Next project is DIY a solar panel & buffertank.

smashey wrote: »
    I tried to look but there is a problem with the link.

Smashey, try the earlier link and step through.

http://picasaweb.google.com/jollyman24/SiteProgressArdmore

Hopefully the above link will work!

A sher a garage is as good as a house, i was lookin at your plans for the solar on the renewable forum looks interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 odonoso

Hi All

My Windows went in last week and there are looking good
    Bored holes in the concrete slab for running services up and down stairs but we hit one of the underfloor heating pipes
    Start chasing the wall next week

Sean

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Quick update.

My footings are been completed today, 2,500 blocks laid in 4.5 days by onw Block layer! That impressed me anyway and his work is excellent at a €1 a block.

I hired a 3.5 tonne mini digger for the weekend and got the perculation holes filled, after pumping the water from last weekend out, and I also pulled 1 half of the double ditch out and cleaned up around the garage and house.

I then dug a trench and found the 2 land drains on the site at point of entry to the site and marked for re routing around the house at a later day although both were dry so I doubt if they are working at all.

Hoping to get filling in in the next 2 weeks and then pour sub floor.

So far total cost estimate of clearing site, digging foundations, pouring foudnations and putting footings in is €9,500 not bad I think??

• Advertisement

Fair play Villian, good to see things progressing ours is really starting to take shape now too. The roof makes a big difference check the latest photos on picasa link

http://picasaweb.google.com/jollyman24/SiteProgressArdmore?authkey=SXQzMg8rMqs

Just a quick photo update, need to get time to update the blog.

Filling coming next week hopefully, its steady as she goes very steady, but I'm in no rush.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Scorpio Girl

hi, i'm new to all this! just started a new build. house marked out and site dug and stoned. foundations poured and blocks started today. any tips or advice would be appreciated.

Are you going direct labour or through a contractor?

direct labour, i live in wexford so plenty of good tradesmen around looking for work at the moment.

Good stuff, what size is the house?

125 sq metres, it's a bungalow, one of the conditions with the site.

Good stuff well keep us updated and if you need any info just ask there are plenty of people here who can help.

thanks villain, i'm sure i'll need lots of advice over the next few months.

Got the filling in this weekend, 200 tonne of stone and a sore back :-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭snellers

scorpio girl please can you advise your current budget plans ( projected spend per sq/m ?) and basic spec you are expecting for it.

many thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 2010House

Plans are gone into County Council, contemplating self build. Girl, no building experience going to build on my own, am I mad!!!

Not mad at all but you will need plenty help and advice and a good engineer to oversee the build! You will get plenty help on here too!

The slates have commenced in my house this morning by all accounts they look lovely and the carpenters are impressed a natural Brazilian slate!

Yeah, want to have lots of advice before I start, I'm hearing get plenty of quotes before i do anything. Looking forward to seeing the blog for this self build queries. Badly needed.

Jollyman,

Can't access Blog as its a site blocked in work. But I'll see can I get access through an internet cafe to view the blog. Will watch out for advise on this site too.

Oh right, it is probably worth a look though will show you the work needed to be done and the costs of the various items it will give you some sort of a logical sequence of events.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Luuca

Just been granted Planning Permission in Offaly. Im doing a self build with no experience - I think i'm mad, single female. A storey and a half, 1655 Sq Feet, Have the plans gone to local tradesmen for quotes and expecting them in by the end of the week. Just calculating the other costs that I do know so far: Legal: 2400, Stamp Duty: 6000, Water connection: 5500, Eff Treatment Sys: 5500.

Im creating a Blog at the moment so I will post the link here over the next few weeks when things start moving.

Wish me luck - I need it in bucket loads

Helen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

The very best of luck Helen . Troy hard , you will get there :D

Best of luck with the build Helen if you would like to see my blog it may be of help to you send me an e-mail at jolly.man@live.com

• Advertisement

Oh right, it is probably worth a look though will show you the work needed to be done and the costs of the various items it will give you some sort of a logical sequence of events.

I keep calling it self build but its by direct labour I hope to go by. That'll tell you my knowledge!!! Will get access to the blog, I badly need all help.

Helen: Good to hear another girl building with similar sq footage being built, serious money, when its all laid out like that!!

Advertisement