Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Live self-Builds - mod warning in post no. 1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 2010House

Thanks Sinnerboy, I'm a bit blonde when it comes to the technical terms. I'll check that out as an option!;)

Muffler, glad to hear we're back on track again, seriously getting lots of good advice on this site, it's like my blood supply when it comes to procedures for planning, pre building etc. This morning I was considering changing my User Name to Dozy when I thought I'd offended anyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Thanks 2010 and Muffler... glad to help. Knowledge is only of use if it can be passed on. Good luck with the Planner. Moving the entrance to achieve 70m will go in your favour. Remember the Planners have opinions, and so do you. No opinion is better than the other. So approach the meeting with confidence, your opinions are valid. If there are two storeys near by and you want a two storey, make a good case for it. Give options to ease height concerns etc.. Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

eg - stress you want to achive an excellent energy rating - and be like "don't the council know ( every body else does ;) ) that dormers are notoriously difficult to insulate and make air tight "

the council are bound to have energy efficieency statements in their development plan - throw it back at them

look here - search the word dormer ....

http://www.environ.ie/en/Publications/DevelopmentandHousing/BuildingStandards/FileDownLoad,15660,en.pdf

Thanks RKQ and Sinnerboy, especially the document on dormer regarding heat loss and insulation. I'm waiting on the architect to meet with me maybe next week or the following week before the council meeting on the 13th June to discuss the options. I'm doing a list of options that will pretty much please the council on the two points of the FI requested, move to site to the lower site in the field, taking the existing entrance which gives me the 70mtrs and I think I will then be able to keep the 2 storey as it is much lower part of the field. Will let ye know about the 13th June (Lucky for some!!!)

• Advertisement

Can anyone tell me where I would go about getting possible site engineers that are used in direct labour projectst? It's a requirement for mortgages to have a site engineer to sign off on each stage for stage payments. Or do I contact Consulting Engineers from Golden Pages for this type of work? Please help!

• Subscribers Posts: 41,124 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

2010House wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me where I would go about getting possible site engineers that are used in direct labour projectst? It's a requirement for mortgages to have a site engineer to sign off on each stage for stage payments. Or do I contact Consulting Engineers from Golden Pages for this type of work? Please help!

You can also engage an Architect or an Architectural technician to do this, its not just restricted to Engineers....

They simply need to have PI insularance and be acceptable to the financial institution.......

Personally, if you havent a clue about construction, i would be engaging an Architect or Technician to project manage the build, and not 'simply sign off'... otherwise you cant be guaranteed best workmanship, materials or constuction practises.........

sydthebeat wrote: »
    You can also engage an Architect or an Architectural technician to do this, its not just restricted to Engineers....

They simply need to have PI insularance and be acceptable to the financial institution.......

Personally, if you havent a clue about construction, i would be engaging an Architect or Technician to project manage the build, and not 'simply sign off'... otherwise you cant be guaranteed best workmanship, materials or constuction practises.........

Ah perfect, I met with the bank during the week and they stated an engineer to sign off so I hadn't realised that my architect may do it, so I'll check with him to see can i pay him to project manage it. Thanks for that Sydthebeat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 squireboy

Hi, we are technically going self build now as our builder has left us high and dry at block level...must get ourselves organised, completely gobsmacked

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Jollyman

Have not had a chance to update blog or get on the forums but i have attached two pics of progress! Inside we are insulating and slabbing first fix elec and plumbing complete plasters on site this morning and windows due Thursday this week!

Pics are over a month old now so roof is complete at this stage and soffit and fascia is done!

• Advertisement

Also a video i made about a month ago, have added it to the blog now!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fo9dqZvGjDQ

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Good man Jollyman gald to see things are coming on, I have the block work apart from gables done on my garage with roof going on in the next 2 weeks and blocks have started on the house although the blocky will be doing a week and then be gone for a few weeks befoe he comes back to finish the blocks.

Did you get your windows yet Jollyman?

Also anyone know what the going price is for granite cills 4" face?

Windows are due in on Thursday Villian, had to cancel the order with the swedish window company increased their price by 115% from that of the quotation! Hoping to be moved in; in august

Yea the price they gave me compared to the initial quote you got was different, who did you go with now?

Oh good old munster joinery!! €13,800 i have sold out to PVC! :o

You've sold your sold to Plastic!!! lol

They are giving very good quotes around my neck of the woods at the moment putting the squeeze on local suppliers.

Ya the prices i got from them were very good, i had a guy here from work too gave me a 30% discount did not think MJ would beat it, but beat it well!

Ah as things come closer to a finish i need to start managing the budget tighter! :D

Well Garage is to wall plate and house has started.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 squireboy

try S & N granite in wicklow, got mine for 38 euro per meter, hand chisseled, looks lovely

Hope this helps
    Villain wrote: »
    Good man Jollyman gald to see things are coming on, I have the block work apart from gables done on my garage with roof going on in the next 2 weeks and blocks have started on the house although the blocky will be doing a week and then be gone for a few weeks befoe he comes back to finish the blocks.

Did you get your windows yet Jollyman?

Also anyone know what the going price is for granite cills 4" face?

Some progress pics windows and doors gone in can finally lock the place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Jollyman wrote: »
    Some progress pics windows and doors gone in can finally lock the place
    Looking good Jollyman.

Thanks Smashey, we are very pleased with them, once the plastering is complete now we will be nearly there.

cute doggy :)

Well spotted ;)

Well done Jollyman looks good

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭gummibear

Hi all,
    well finally looks like ground will be broken by end of the week. 4 bed dormer, 237sq. m. fingers crossed all goes roughly according to plan... the pic shows what hopefully we will see develop over the coming months. asked contractor if he had a standard contract but our solicitor didn't like what he sent out so must sort that over next few days... RIAI blue-form contract i gather is the way to go... ?

blue form - yes

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Slates

All ground floor blocks finished on Sat, First floor slab being measured up by Rep today.....cavity blocks for garage coming this week for Sat. Very happy with progress :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Lainey

well i think i'll just join in on this thread as we have just started YEAH...

ground is cleared, old trees taken down :(:( but had to be done and everything marked out ready for foundations to be dug in the morning..

the ringing and hounding people has just started for us.. keep all posted as to how its going..

house looks great jollyman;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

hi Jollyman - looks good - take advice from one who's been caught - make sure you take the tape off the windows as soon as you can as it bakes on!!

Advertisement