Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Live self-Builds - mod warning in post no. 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Sorry I was away for the last few days only getting back now, the sample slate I go was from http://www.goecotech.com/index.htm they have BBA approved rubber slates with a 50 year warranty.

They look very very much like a natural slate but won't break and won't fade like cheaper slates.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Slates

Villain wrote: »
    Sorry I was away for the last few days only getting back now, the sample slate I go was from http://www.goecotech.com/index.htm they have BBA approved rubber slates with a 50 year warranty.

They look very very much like a natural slate but won't break and won't fade like cheaper slates.
    Does the BBA cert have an Irish regulation approvement cover letter ?

As I said before, use these rubber slates at your peril !

BBA certs are good enough for me, can you advise why rubber slates should only be used at your peril??

Seem good all round, only possible issue is wind on a very high pitch as the slates can "flap" but that can be worked around also??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

Slates wrote: »
    Does the BBA cert have an Irish regulation approvement cover letter ?

As I said before, use these rubber slates at your peril !

some bba certs do have appendix relating to irish b regs ..... but most don't

nonetheless bba certs are almost always fine a reliable indicator of performance

• Advertisement

House is marked out now, looks good location for sun couldn't be better, only one issue there is a land drain on the site which would be passing under the back of the house so that will have to be re-routed not a big problem but a few more Euro's!

Not much time to spare but blog is up http://livebuild.blogspot.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭hiscan

BoylerMan wrote: »
    It cost about 900 Euro for the materials as I recall which is for about a 100m2 area of ceiling. Its not cheap but the finished job is excellent. Again, it takes time to do it correct. A good laser level is essential as each clip must be checked when screwing the clips to the channel.

it costs e16 per sq meter supply and fit and it is way better than timber battens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 odonoso

Hi Hiscan

Who was your supplier

Sean

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 BoylerMan

Villain,
    Had a look at your Blog and noticed that you are building in Co. Carlow. I too am building in Co. Carlow and am a bit further on. Currently insulating & Plasterboarding. From the picture I assume that you will stone the access also ? It may be best to do it now as it will pay off in the long run when you have trucks, etc in. I got my filling/stone for 7Euro/tonne (cash) locally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Slates

Villain wrote: »
    BBA certs are good enough for me, can you advise why rubber slates should only be used at your peril??

Seem good all round, only possible issue is wind on a very high pitch as the slates can "flap" but that can be worked around also??

"BBA certs are good enough for you" maby so but not without the Irish regulation approval .......so when there is a problem with colour loss, and lifting of the slate tails because the they as fixed to battens and not sarking board, who will you turn to ?

odonoso wrote: »
    Hi Hiscan

Who was your supplier

Sean

hes in mayo if thats any good to you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 marianne.oneill

Husband and I are moving back home from Scotland, to start a self build in Offaly in August. Hopefully starting site clearance and foundations in April. Ryanair will make a fortune on us!!!

House will be 1.5 storey, approx 2500 sq ft, 4 bedrooms with detached garage. Have just taken on a contractor to do site clearance, foundations and blockwork up to the roof. Given us a price of 23K euros for the labour. He comes highly recommended from neighbours.

Would like to know what you think of this price?

Seriously considering putting in precast floors upstairs, would love to hear feedback from anyone who has used them.

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 45,827 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Husband and I are moving back home from Scotland, to start a self build in Offaly in August. Hopefully starting site clearance and foundations in April. Ryanair will make a fortune on us!!!

House will be 1.5 storey, approx 2500 sq ft, 4 bedrooms with detached garage. Have just taken on a contractor to do site clearance, foundations and blockwork up to the roof. Given us a price of 23K euros for the labour. He comes highly recommended from neighbours.

Would like to know what you think of this price?
    Seriously considering putting in precast floors upstairs, would love to hear feedback from anyone who has used them.

:eek:
    Like every price it depends on what he is doing for the money. You need to look at issues such as: making a roadway into site/piping roadside drain, building septic tank if applicable, laying service pipes in excavated trenched, providing and laying domestic water pipe, ducting for phine and esb, providing.fitting manholes and AJ's, sub floor filling, radon sump & membrane, subfloors and insulation. The list can go on and on. Hopefully there will be someone here from Offaly or surrounding areas who can give you a better idea re pricing.

Slabs on first floor would be highly recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 NOVICE-REFURB

I am currently refurbing a house in Dublin, and am a completely new to the whole sector.

Its a terrace house , which needs a lot of new work, the front of the house needs to be underpinned ?? Can someone please fully explain what this is, the building surveyor mentioned it in his report but to be honest I have not got the foggiest what he is talking about, the house has got to be fully rewired, floor have to come up , due to dry rot, the ceilings must all be replaced, the walls have got to be re-plastered and the insulation has got to be looked at.

I hired 2 guys who work in a quantity surveying practice on the side and they gave me a detailed budget of all the work that has got to be done and an estimated price, they asked me if i know any builders who they could send the book out to, to get a price.

Can any of you please forward me on reliable builders details in the dublin area to add to their list in order to get the best price.

Thanks for your help.
    Novice

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭DJKAV

:(I`m doing the roof on this cottage where do I start? what would be the price these days of tiles/felt? gutterin etc?

any information greatly appreciated?

p.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 odonoso

My roof is nearly finish and the only started two week ago and I am just thinking about first fits
    We are plaster boarding the external wall and should we chase the wall for the cable or cut on the insulation in the plaster board.
    Which is best approach?

My roof is nearly finish and the only started two week ago and I am just thinking about first fits
    We are plaster boarding the external wall and should we chase the wall for the cable or cut on the insulation in the plaster board.
    Which is best approach?

chase the walls for the cable but leave the box mountd on the wall so it will be flush with the surface of the plasterboard

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Jollyman

Progress Pictures have been added to the blog! Blockwork is coming along

My foundations are in after a lot of hard work last week, pics updated soon

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

Which is best approach?

batten out walls ( 50 wide 25 deep ) - ensure continuous battens top and bottom ( eliminate air path ) . screw fix over with foil faced , both sides , pu baord . ( no need to chase walls now ) foil tape to all board joints . plaster board over . increases air tightness and vapour resistance . to internal , - tape or silicone seal windows frames to walls ( as well as silicone externally ) . seal all pipe and cable penetrations of insulation . ensure min 25mm thick pu behind elec boxes ( don't create cold un insulated patches of wall , condensation risk at worst possible location )

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

secman wrote: »
    Nearly there at last. Can finally see light at end of tunell. Here's a pic.

Secman
    Nearly there?

Looks pretty good from here. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,233 ✭✭✭secman

Thanks Smashey, pictures do tell a lie though, upstairs is completely finished but down stairs is still work in progress ! Flooring it out in next few weeks, then kitchen and finalise painting. As I said nearly there !

Secman

• Registered Users Posts: 45,827 ✭✭✭✭muffler

secman wrote: »
    Nearly there at last. Can finally see light at end of tunell. Here's a pic.

Secman
    I would love to see you trying to get permission for that type of house design in Donegal or indeed some other counties for that matter.

Oh and I do like it but what I like is usually at odds with the planners idea of a traditional style house.

"That type of house" ! .. It sits well in the locality , have had numerous well wishes and admiring comments from locals ! It fits the local criteria, such as black slate, napped plaster finish, no brick wall ( ok I used a modern stone type), however only on one wall and to good effect IMO !

Do the planners drive Model Ford T 2008 models !

Only kidding.

Secman

Have un-privatised the blog for a day or two to see if it goes ok, progress pictures have been added to the slideshow, its coming along well thank god the weather has picked up from what it was!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Jollyman wrote: »
    Have un-privatised the blog for a day or two to see if it goes ok, progress pictures have been added to the slideshow, its coming along well thank god the weather has picked up from what it was!
    Is that Mrs. Jollyman with the yellow wellies? :D

Keep it going Jollyman. Thank god no one hurt in accident. We had a similar accident, a top of gable wall blew down during the day whilst brickies were working. Fortunately nobody hurt, we were blessed. Thats when peace of mind with the site insurance is greatly appreciated. Stunning views by the way.

Secman

Jollyman I see you say you have made the windows to be multiples of .675, can you explain why?

Cheers

• Advertisement

Thanks secman, its coming along well alright. The insurance is a great peace of mind for the sake of €2,500 well spent i reckon especially when you are going direct labour!

Advertisement